• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

Jisonga

Jisonga

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:I am a big fan of tech gadgets, Motor Sport and sim racing.
  • Devices:Gallaxy S2 & ASUS TF 101.
Now this very interesting once a few more members give the thumbs up with differrent dongles i am off to buy one.

Thanks once again for members here taking the time to not only figure these things out but to post here for others to use.

Jason.

Posted By Jason a rooted Galaxy S2 & Asus TF 101 user.

Restless_UK

Restless_UK

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Devices:HTC One
I'm aware this is a little off topic but i'm just asking for a yes or no answer sooo i hope it's ok.. i have a desire that i use as a wifi access point to get a connection should i need one but i also have a spare Huawei E220 and was just wondering if this would give me a stronger signal if i got a sim for it...??? i'm on o2 with the desire if that helps as comparison in signal strengh..

tosh_

tosh_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire, Advent Vega
I have a 3 ZTE dongle which it appears doesn't work. When I go to find the network it just says that it is unable to do that.

carl rose

carl rose

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Devices:Advent Vega
Works great with the 3 uk Huawei 160G. It doesn't just connect, I got credit on my sim and I can browse the internet just fine at super speed, wow what a great find!!! Many thanks to the fella that found this, how did you find this out by the way?

By the way I managed to remove the warning sign that it can't find networks, just take the dongle out, disable data and 3g and enable slave mode. The vega will reboot and the sign is gone

Edited by carl rose, 09 February 2011 - 04:17 PM.

Neilkt

Neilkt

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
That sound good....what pay as you go deals is everyone using. Don't know which one to buy.... 3 or T-Mobile etc...
The T mobile is £2 per day after your initial outlay.
I think its time for a trip to the shops :P

Jisonga

Jisonga

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:I am a big fan of tech gadgets, Motor Sport and sim racing.
  • Devices:Gallaxy S2 & ASUS TF 101.
Looks like i may have to have a look online for a huawei usb dongle and then i can sort out any data sim after that.

Anyone tried the other makes of dongles yet to see if any other make also works.

There are plenty of unlocked full speed huawei dongles on ebay going to cheap so it may not be a problem to find a good deal.

Jason.

Posted By Jason a rooted Galaxy S2 & Asus TF 101 user.

huwwatkins

huwwatkins

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Looks like i may have to have a look online for a huawei usb dongle and then i can sort out any data sim after that.

Anyone tried the other makes of dongles yet to see if any other make also works.

There are plenty of unlocked full speed huawei dongles on ebay going to cheap so it may not be a problem to find a good deal.

Jason.

I have an e169g I will try it when I get home!

N3ls0n

N3ls0n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Devices:Advent Vega, Samsung Galaxy S
  • Twitter:@none
Thanks to all for the great work. I am desperate to mobile internet on my Vega and have been looking at the following options...

http://threestore.th...o.uk/broadband/ option three looks promising on a 1 month contract or alternatively...

http://threestore.th...oadband/?mifi=1 option 1 means spending £39.99 on the modem but as I understand it I would be able to connect to the wifi hotspot after changing the wifi-supplicant file (Ad-hoc) I think.

Any views on either option would be appreciated.

Nelson

andrewdolphin

andrewdolphin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Mifi on three should actually be Infrastructure - you can get about £20 back of the £39.99 through quidco.

wi-fli

wi-fli

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Devices:Desire S+Vega Viewcomb3.2b6.3
Aargh!

My Orange huawei e1752 does not work, when you get to the selecting network part, it comes up with an error message.

Mega disappointed :P

Melted

Melted

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Devices:Nexus One & Advent Vega
  • Twitter:@pmanosa
My huawei K4505 doesn't work... yet.
Maybe just maybe it's because it intends to start the cd-rom.
I haven't found the AT commands to disable cd-rom for this dongle yet, but this topic may help to others.
Source http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=914350

You must disable the CD-ROM drive with AT^U2DIAG=0 on the modem before you can use it on the folio.

Connect your USB modem to your PC, find out the COM port used by the modem and then connect via putty to the COM port and send AT^U2DIAG=0.

Here is a tutorial how to send AT commands using Windows: http://3g-modem.wetp.... under Windows

Also disable the PIN check on your SIM card.

Edited by Melted, 09 February 2011 - 10:17 PM.

My devices:
Nexus One CyanogenMod 7 Posted Image Point Of view Mobii VegaComb AlphaPosted Image

elvch01

elvch01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Devices:Advent Vega, HTC HD
Its nice to know that these dongles work, but when I decided to get a Vega, I also splashed out on a mifi router (£50 on eBay) which is essentially a wifi access point with a 3G connection. I simply took the SIM out of my 3G dongle, inserted it into the mifi box and away it went

+ no "ugly" dongle sticking out of the top (mifi router stays in pocket)
+ guaranteed to work (although I will now try the above method)
+ works with any wifi device

- mifi box is good for only 4-5 hours (requirement for mains point thereafter for charging)

N3ls0n

N3ls0n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Mifi on three should actually be Infrastructure - you can get about £20 back of the £39.99 through quidco.

Thanks for the info

Nelson

SAFC1978

SAFC1978

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire HD, Advent Vega
  • Twitter:@marcanderson78
The K3520 on vodafone works great

Sending this message using it to get online. :P

N3ls0n

N3ls0n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

My huawei K4505 doesn't work... yet.
Maybe just maybe it's because it intends to start the cr-rom.
I haven't found the AT commands to disable cd-rom for this dongle yet, but this topic may help to others.
Source http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=914350

You must disable the CD-ROM drive with AT^U2DIAG=0 on the modem before you can use it on the folio.

Connect your USB modem to your PC, find out the COM port used by the modem and then connect via putty to the COM port and send AT^U2DIAG=0.

Here is a tutorial how to send AT commands using Windows: http://3g-modem.wetp.... under Windows

Also disable the PIN check on your SIM card.

Melted.

Keep us updated with how you get on

Nelson

huwwatkins

huwwatkins

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Melted - Same problem with the E169 not working - I will try disabling he cd drive on it and see what happens.

ptbw

ptbw

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 & Nexus 7 (2013)
Fantasic, huawei E176 working like a charm on O2. It did take a couple of attempts to locate a network and showed two O2's for some reason the second one works best.

Note, typing this connected using the dongle, result.

Official Field Guide of the Paranormal Database
smallbanner.png

Still playing with:

Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2103)

Bobbler

Bobbler

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
Some additional news for those with ZTE based modems (like the one Three network do). My modem is network unlocked since I got it when I flashed it with updated firmware - your mileage may vary.
Vega is on Pauls R7 firmware from a couple of days ago.

I managed to get mine to the point of the now I can see the list of networks and register on Three (my sim card provider on this device)

In addition to the notes here you have to disable the inbuilt CD drive "Autorun" thing
Figure out the com port by plugging the modem into your PC - check in the Device manager, should show up as ZTE NMEA Device - mine was COM6
Download PUTTY and use serial mode, enter your com port in the above step.
You should see a black screen periodically updating with +ZUSIMR:2 or similar.
Enter the command:
AT+ZCDRUN=8

Don't worry if the screen scrolls with a new message, just enter the text anyway.

You should get the message "Close autorun state result(0:FAIL 1:SUCCESS):1

OK"
If you get 0 returned instead, close PUTTY, use the safely remove hardware button on your Windows task bar and eject the CD device. Then retry.

Now follow the steps previously posted for adding an account and you should see your detected 3G network providers, from here I can select Three and it tells me it's registered and I get a 3G data signal bar appear in the Android status bar (with my Wifi off :P )
From here on though I am stuck. I cannot actually get to the internet using browser at this point.
Airplane mode setting works and disables the 3G connection (change of light on the dongle in addition to the status bar)

Was going to play further, but my Vega is out of battery and making me upset with it - on charge and attempting to use it is a disaster of touch screen hit and miss <sigh>

Edited by Bobbler, 10 February 2011 - 12:43 AM.

carl rose

carl rose

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
There was one thing I forgot to say when I chose the provider all I got was the bars without the 3g symbol. I had to do a manual profile. Basically for 3uk is just the name of the profile and the apn 3internet

Hope this helps some of you

huwwatkins

huwwatkins

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

There was one thing I forgot to say when I chose the provider all I got was the bars without the 3g symbol. I had to do a manual profile. Basically for 3uk is just the name of the profile and the apn 3internet

Hope this helps some of you

If your on mobile broadband its always been three.co.uk as the apn for me?

Also - the Huawei e169 works once you have disabled the cd drive on on it. One thing I noticed is that if the vega goes in to standby the connection will hang and you have to remove/reinsert the usb dongle.

I wonder if there is a way of stripping the pcb out of the plastic usb casing and soldering it direct to the usb port internally. In theory the I'd guess the vega would ignore it when it was in slave mode and then auto pick it back up again in host mode?

On my netbook there was an unconnected usb header on the motherboard that you could solder stuff directly too - does the vega have somthing like this?

Edited by huwwatkins, 10 February 2011 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users