• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

Mickgoodie1

Mickgoodie1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hero Advent Vega
any ideas if a vodafone 3g usb dongle can be adpated to work on the vega in this way?
I have a vodafone K3760 dongle that does not seem to work, and was wondering if anyone knew how
to get around this issue? or do I need to go for a huawei 220 and E176?

andycap

andycap

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Devices:Dell Streak (froyo)
  • Twitter:@Andystreak
My E169 also works.

Oh forgot to mention. Whatsapp can be installed is you have the modem plugged in, once installed it will work on wifi only aswell.

Dell Streak, Htc Desire HD, Advent Vega, iPad 3g 32g.

inberno

inberno

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Devices:Vega Corvus 0.5 / LG O2X :-D
  • Twitter:@inberno

I cannot get e1752 to work

Did you remove the cd-rom automount?

elvch01

elvch01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Devices:Advent Vega, HTC HD
Worked a treat on my E172 - nice to know I have options other than my mi-fi box

wi-fli

wi-fli

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Devices:Desire S+Vega Viewcomb3.2b6.3

Did you remove the cd-rom automount?

No, because I need the built in sd card to work with my laptop.

jonwelly

jonwelly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:vega
  • Twitter:@none
I tried it on my Huawei e160x with vodafone ( K3565) and I get the blue flashing but get error while searching for networks. :D

tried to remove cd mount with putty got OK but still no go.

Edited by jonwelly, 14 February 2011 - 06:37 PM.

ptbw

ptbw

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 & Nexus 7 (2013)
My hardware solution: ( Short USB lead + Black Velcro) :D

....and 3G symbol.

I did not like the dongle poking out the side this way its fixed to the back of the case. The lead came from Ebay.

Attached Files

Official Field Guide of the Paranormal Database
smallbanner.png

Still playing with:

Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2103)

N3ls0n

N3ls0n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Devices:Advent Vega, Samsung Galaxy S

My hardware solution: ( Short USB lead + Black Velcro) :D

....and 3G symbol.

I did not like the dongle poking out the side this way its fixed to the back of the case. The lead came from Ebay.

Hi

What model of dongle is that your using? and did you follow the instruction above to get it working

Regards
Nelson

ptbw

ptbw

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 & Nexus 7 (2013)

Hi

What model of dongle is that your using? and did you follow the instruction above to get it working

Regards
Nelson

Its a Huawei E176 with an O2 sim inside. I got it working originally using the "add account method" but now use an app called Quick Settings which gives direct access to the GSM settings.

HTH

Official Field Guide of the Paranormal Database
smallbanner.png

Still playing with:

Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2103)

N3ls0n

N3ls0n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Devices:Advent Vega, Samsung Galaxy S

Its a Huawei E176 with an O2 sim inside. I got it working originally using the "add account method" but now use an app called Quick Settings which gives direct access to the GSM settings.

HTH

Thanks ptbw,,,, i will check out 'quick settings'

Nelson

Greedydog

Greedydog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hero, Nexus One
I've was messing around with my 3G dongle this evening but realised I'd have to remove the CD mount thingy then a thought struck me... "why not use a mifi?" Well the short answer is because I don't have one.... what I do have tho' is a Nexus One with one of Paul's custom ROMs and somewhere in the dim recesses of my mind I remembered it has a WiFi hotspot feature.... a bit of fiddling later and lo and behold I'm surfing via my own Wifi hotspot which essentially turns the Nexus into a mifi.... I don't know which of Paul's ROMs have the WiFi hotspot feature but for those with Android phones with a Modaco ROM (and if not, why not?!) it's an easy and neat solution..... :D

Edited by Greedydog, 16 February 2011 - 12:03 AM.

huwwatkins

huwwatkins

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

I've was messing around with my 3G dongle this evening but realised I'd have to remove the CD mount thingy then a thought struck me... "why not use a mifi?" Well the short answer is because I don't have one.... what I do have tho' is a Nexus One with one of Paul's custom ROMs and somewhere in the dim recesses of my mind I remembered it has a WiFi hotspot feature.... a bit of fiddling later and lo and behold I'm surfing via my own Wifi hotspot which essentially turns the Nexus into a mifi.... I don't know which of Paul's ROMs have the WiFi hotspot feature but for those with Android phones with a Modaco ROM (and if not, why not?!) it's an easy and neat solution..... :D

Android 2.2 has the wifi hotspot feature as standard.

Greedydog

Greedydog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Android 2.2 has the wifi hotspot feature as standard.

Even better!

Jisonga

Jisonga

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:I am a big fan of tech gadgets, Motor Sport and sim racing.
  • Devices:Gallaxy S2 & ASUS TF 101.
Thanks for that mate will have a play with my desire later to see if it works for me.

Jason.

Posted By Jason a rooted Galaxy S2 & Asus TF 101 user.

Melted

Melted

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Devices:Nexus One & Advent Vega
  • Twitter:@pmanosa

The problem with this solution is that some carriers extra charge for using your mobile device for tethering .

My devices:
Nexus One CyanogenMod 7 Posted Image Point Of view Mobii VegaComb AlphaPosted Image

mjcampbell12

mjcampbell12

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:advent vega
i have tried this method for a 3g dongle with one borrowed from work. now that i have removed the dongle and turned off 3g services. the red triangle with exclamation mark is still there and wont go even on a reboot. how can i get rid of it??

any help is much appreciated

Greedydog

Greedydog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The problem with this solution is that some carriers extra charge for using your mobile device for tethering .

Hmmmm... well as far as I'm aware on my carrier data is data and it's cheaper just to use my monthly allowance (which I don't exhaust with my phone) than signing up to another plan or PAYG, obviously different strokes for different folks!

elvch01

elvch01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Devices:Advent Vega, HTC HD

Hmmmm... well as far as I'm aware on my carrier data is data and it's cheaper just to use my monthly allowance (which I don't exhaust with my phone) than signing up to another plan or PAYG, obviously different strokes for different folks!

I agree - data is data and it is very difficult to identify that traffic originated from a tethered Vega rather than the original phone. Deep packet inspection might show up differences in the browser settings (but will not be easy to do). I am planning to get an android 2.2 phone & tether my Vega. I also use OpenVPN to tunnel all traffic through my home; this ensures I always appear to have a UK IP address so I can watch BBC iPlayer when abroad (I travel a lot on business). The side benefit is that all traffic is encrypted between the Vega and my home so no amount of packet inspection will uncover whether I am tethering or not

Jisonga

Jisonga

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:I am a big fan of tech gadgets, Motor Sport and sim racing.
  • Devices:Gallaxy S2 & ASUS TF 101.
But is,nt creating a wifi hotspot different to tethering.

Virgin mobile do not allow tethering and i am unable to use this option on my phone.

But when i select the hotspot option i can connect my vega and when i check my data allowance it s been used as per normal.

Could be wrong have been many times before but i am sure these are two seperate ways of dealing with data connections.

Jason.

Posted By Jason a rooted Galaxy S2 & Asus TF 101 user.

Melted

Melted

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Devices:Nexus One & Advent Vega
  • Twitter:@pmanosa

i have tried this method for a 3g dongle with one borrowed from work. now that i have removed the dongle and turned off 3g services. the red triangle with exclamation mark is still there and wont go even on a reboot. how can i get rid of it??

any help is much appreciated

Switch to slave mode and reboot.

My devices:
Nexus One CyanogenMod 7 Posted Image Point Of view Mobii VegaComb AlphaPosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users