OrangeSanFrancisco.co.uk - UPDATED June 2013

Guest LukeMR

Thanks to the very clear and easy to follow instructions.

Installed 2.2 Swedish last night with no problems what so ever.

Good work!!

Guest ndubz

Thanks OP your site is very clear. i never rooted my blade coz i was confused by all the stuff you have to do but now it seems simple to follow. this is a stupid question but what does a root do? once your blade is rooted whats the difference? thanks and sorry for the stupid question lol

Guest ThrashMan

Thanks OP your site is very clear. i never rooted my blade coz i was confused by all the stuff you have to do but now it seems simple to follow. this is a stupid question but what does a root do? once your blade is rooted whats the difference? thanks and sorry for the stupid question lol

Assuming you are referring to the article How to root your San Fran? If so READ IT!!!

From the same site What is rooting? this gives a basic explanation. smile.gif

Guest Layman57

I have a San Francisco with build no. OBE_P729BV1.0.0B02, generation 1. Can the procedure described on "OrangeSanFrancisco.co.uk" also be used to ugrade this phone to 2.2?

Guest flshg

I have a San Francisco with build no. OBE_P729BV1.0.0B02, generation 1. Can the procedure described on "OrangeSanFrancisco.co.uk" also be used to ugrade this phone to 2.2?

Yes

• 3 weeks later...
Guest slim2357

All the links on the site seem to be down? Is it not working anymore, I just did my own phone a couple of weeks ago and it was so simple, so perfect.

Now I got one for my daughter and wanted to do the same...

All the links on the site seem to be down? Is it not working anymore, I just did my own phone a couple of weeks ago and it was so simple, so perfect.

Now I got one for my daughter and wanted to do the same...

The links from the pinned topic http://android.modaco.com/topic/329073-22may-guide-how-to-install-a-custom-rom-on-the-zte-blade-gen1/ seem to be working, and has links to the same or similar apps. The procedure should be the same as you have used on the orangesanfrancisco site.

Guest Layman57

Upgraded to 2.2 as described and working perfectly, the only point is that the standby time is very poor now. Even with only GSM on and Wifi, screen, bluetooth, GPS switched off. Is there anything to do about this? I read other articles stating that the standby time would increase.

Upgraded to 2.2 as described and working perfectly, the only point is that the standby time is very poor now. Even with only GSM on and Wifi, screen, bluetooth, GPS switched off. Is there anything to do about this? I read other articles stating that the standby time would increase.

What sort of standby time are you getting after a full battery charge? I get around 2 days of light usage on my android 2.3 rom, with 3g on, wifi on/off, gps on. You may find that an app is causing battery drain, so try to check in battery stats to see what has kept phone awake. What rom did you choose?

Guest Layman57

What sort of standby time are you getting after a full battery charge? I get around 2 days of light usage on my android 2.3 rom, with 3g on, wifi on/off, gps on. You may find that an app is causing battery drain, so try to check in battery stats to see what has kept phone awake. What rom did you choose?

Fully charged in the afternoon - 2 to 3 short calls (2G) - and completely empty the next morning 06.00h. Everything else switched off.

Android 2.2 Rom: Swedish Spring RLS5

Fully charged in the afternoon - 2 to 3 short calls (2G) - and completely empty the next morning 06.00h. Everything else switched off.

Android 2.2 Rom: Swedish Spring RLS5

That does sound unusual. It may be better to ask in the sub-forum for swedish spring http://android.modaco.com/topic/334849-rom-froyo-swedish-spring-rls5-2011-04-19-oledtft-gen1gen2/, to try to pinpoint whats causing this.

• 4 months later...
Guest JimmyNutsack

Hey,

I keep getting the E: unable to write to ums lunfile... on my cellphone when I want to paste the ROM. Anybody knows what i've done wrong?

Thx in advance

Edit: I solved the problem by replacing the stock SD-card

Edited by JimmyNutsack

Guest Otirumpel

Hi I managed to upgrade to 2.2. I have one issue though, I seem to have lost the accelerometer function during the upgrade. How do I access this feature again?

Hi I managed to upgrade to 2.2. I have one issue though, I seem to have lost the accelerometer function during the upgrade. How do I access this feature again?

Use one of the alternative kernels from the first post in the SSrls5 thread if you're still using that Rom.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest judywoody

Hi, I just received my Orange San Francisco from a private seller on Ebay. It's not a seller I would recommend for various reasons but on top of that the phone seems to be faulty. It's got android 2.2 froyo installed. And that's all I know. I don't know which generation it is and I can't install "ask mr pigfish" because the fault is that the capacitive screen doesn't react properly to finger swipes or presses - Before I can access the market it asks me to log in to my google account but I can't type in letters properly (eg I want to enter an "s" but it enters a "k" which is actually not next to each other but on the other end of the screen - I can't press the delete button, it enters random letters instead). When I tilt the screen it doesn't react always either. When I click some apps it opens a completely different one. Sometimes it reacts when I press a certain button but it doesn't do anything eg the switch off button. So I am not sure if this is the same fault some people have reported with the ZTE blade gen 2. I am not sure if I should fix it because I might not get my money back. I am pretty disappointed as I had to wait for that phone nearly two weeks. The seller is private and pretty rubbish in communicating. She says it's her sons phone in the item description so not sure if she was aware of the fault. She doesn't respond to ANY of my emails and I reported her to Ebay. If I can fix it I would do it and only demand a partial refund otherwise I would send it back. Any idea what I can do?

Guest Davidoff59

did you try a screen calibration at all. It may be something as simple as that. Whether she knew of the issue or not, she sold it so she holds responsibility if it turns out to be faulty.

Go to settings, and about phone so we know which rom your on. It may have calibration app built in.

Guest judywoody

did you try a screen calibration at all. It may be something as simple as that. Whether she knew of the issue or not, she sold it so she holds responsibility if it turns out to be faulty.

Go to settings, and about phone so we know which rom your on. It may have calibration app built in.

There is no such a function for the ZTE Blade. It was ok after a few hours until my husband tried to put another ROM on. Then it started playing up again. So we went back to the backed up ROM where it seemed to work fine. And then it started again.

Guest Davidoff59

It will be under either settings or there may be a zte emode app. There is definately a screen calibration for the Zte Blade, but I think you mean that its not on the phone currently.

Please refer to this post http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=909176 which lists codes for various things. Without knowing exactly which rom you are using, I dont think anyone can help much.

Seems strange that it works fine for a while, then gets buggy. Can I suggest that you open your own thread. Not many people will see this. There are some very helpful, knowledgable people on here and im sure a fix will be found.

Every rom is different so please try to provide details of which rom you are using.

Settings, about phone.

android, baseband,kernel and mod versions along with build number.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I have finally updated the site. Complete rewrite on the "Installing custom ROMs from scratch guide", with guides for both Gen 1 and Gen 2. The rest of the site will be updated this week, and I will also start work on an Orange San Francisco II section.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Purplegaw

beggin, I used your guide at the weekend and installed CyanogenMod7 on my Blade.

Your instructions were clear and really easy to follow. I am a complete novice and I was amazed that I managed to do it first time. I did however forget one vital bit of info, despite your very clear warning not to forget, I forgot to back-up! rolleyes.gif Derrr!

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you!

• 1 year later...