WP7 Podcast Announce the Backup and Restore You Always Wanted

Guest awarner

Guest awarner

Looking forward to the Windows Phone 7 update? Matt Akers at Windows Phone Radio has just announced a backup and restore feature that will make updating a breeze.

How often in the past with other devices like Windows Mobile and Android have you flashed a ROM or just performed an update and then had the pain of setting everything up again? I know you can create a cab backup etc but now Zune also puts your phone's apps and settings back to how it was before the update. So even though you will have a nice new update under the bonnet all your apps and setting will be as you had them previously so no need to have the hassle or remembering what app you had and what setting you need for this and that, Zune does it all for you.

Interestingly if there is a problem or even if the update process has a problem you can roll back to the previous version you had running.

How's that for making a stress free and easy update life?

The podcast can be found HERE

Thanks to WMPoweruser.com for the heads up.

Guest Isaac Cummins
I will try and find out, good question ;)

I got really excited when I heard about this Backup/Restore feature but the more I have read about it the more it seems that it only works in conjunction with the update. The reason this is a lot less exciting for me is that it seems it won't resolve the problem I have. Pretty much the sole reason I bought a WP7 phone was for the XBox Live games but I have hit a brick wall now more then once. I have a Samsung Omnia 7 and soon after purchase was forced to do a hard reset due some application and menu start up errors. Once I had done the reset I realised all of my 10+ XBL games saves had been wiped. It has been fine since but about a week ago my phone started playing up again this time with the charging notification sound beeping continuously. So what do I do now as I now have 30+ games so my biggest concern is losing all these game saves after all the hours I put into them, twice in some cases. I don't think I could start them all over again which is annoying considering the money I have spent on them.

So will this backup feature help me, i.e. can I backup, do a hard reset and then restore the data?

Or what if I end up having to send my phone off because its a hardware issue and they end up sending me a replacement. Will the backup image be compatible?

Hope someone can help!

Guest Isaac Cummins
I got really excited when I heard about this Backup/Restore feature but the more I have read about it the more it seems that it only works in conjunction with the update. The reason this is a lot less exciting for me is that it seems it won't resolve the problem I have. Pretty much the sole reason I bought a WP7 phone was for the XBox Live games but I have hit a brick wall now more then once. I have a Samsung Omnia 7 and soon after purchase was forced to do a hard reset due some application and menu start up errors. Once I had done the reset I realised all of my 10+ XBL games saves had been wiped. It has been fine since but about a week ago my phone started playing up again this time with the charging notification sound beeping continuously. So what do I do now as I now have 30+ games so my biggest concern is losing all these game saves after all the hours I put into them, twice in some cases. I don't think I could start them all over again which is annoying considering the money I have spent on them.

So will this backup feature help me, i.e. can I backup, do a hard reset and then restore the data?

Or what if I end up having to send my phone off because its a hardware issue and they end up sending me a replacement. Will the backup image be compatible?

Hope someone can help!

I had only just finished the above post when I received a reply from an xbox.com forum moderator. Its seems once you update you can backup any time. Find the full article and video here.

Edited by Isaac Cummins

• 4 weeks later...

well that good thing they did, but would have been more if the feature to get back all the pic and documents on phone memory back after update .

still great information.

thanks for making us stay tuneed

• 5 months later...
Guest Isaac Cummins

I had only just finished the above post when I received a reply from an xbox.com forum moderator. Its seems once you update you can backup any time. Find the full article and video here.

Well, I have since found out that this update is not really of much use if they replace my handset. The backup only works on the exact handset that the original backup has came from as it uses the device I.D. or something. So even if the new phone is made by the same Manufacturer and is even the exact same model the backup will not work. This really sucks but not just for me. What about every other single WP7 user when it comes round to upgrading to a new phone? They will all have to live with leaving all of this data on their old device. Absolutely ridiculous!

Guest cmiuc

Well, I have since found out that this update is not really of much use if they replace my handset. The backup only works on the exact handset that the original backup has came from as it uses the device I.D. or something. So even if the new phone is made by the same Manufacturer and is even the exact same model the backup will not work. This really sucks but not just for me. What about every other single WP7 user when it comes round to upgrading to a new phone? They will all have to live with leaving all of this data on their old device. Absolutely ridiculous!

yeah, file a ticket with HTC...and you know their websites says, "We don't provide this solution, you need to go to the 3rd party solution providers on Marketplace"... their support group concur... they also say that Peter Chou's Ceo PROMISE to unlock all the boot loaders on their system is fake and false info...

and if u file a ticket, and 3 months they suggest that things that don'e exist.... like i have been wanting the boot loader so at least can get the files off... but no, they command me to give up.. its such a load.. when a company says they are committed to customer satisfaction(both MS and HTC) yet they have not done a thing to improve their products to those who already have processed.

one day... we all are going to say, 'were not going to take it anymore"

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Isaac Cummins

yeah, file a ticket with HTC...and you know their websites says, "We don't provide this solution, you need to go to the 3rd party solution providers on Marketplace"... their support group concur... they also say that Peter Chou's Ceo PROMISE to unlock all the boot loaders on their system is fake and false info...

and if u file a ticket, and 3 months they suggest that things that don'e exist.... like i have been wanting the boot loader so at least can get the files off... but no, they command me to give up.. its such a load.. when a company says they are committed to customer satisfaction(both MS and HTC) yet they have not done a thing to improve their products to those who already have processed.

one day... we all are going to say, 'were not going to take it anymore"

I've got a Samsung and all they have had to say on the matter is that any backup facility would be something only possible through the device software, i.e. Zune which is obviously Microsoft so they suggested I contact them for any further advice. The brilliant thing is that I have not yet had one single response from MS and believe I have tried a lot of times. Even within MS's and WP7 official forum pages I get no response, apart from other WP7 users being in complete agreement with what I am saying.

Has anyone possibly heard any further news on a 'PROPER' backup feature?.

P.S. No offence awarner as I knew this article is from January but looking at the title of this thread makes me ROFL big time.

Edited by Isaac Cummins

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.