Predictive text in browser/URL box?

Guest katiea

OK I have now got my new Desire Z and am very very happy (husband is complaining he's a phone widower).

I worked out how to switch on the predictive text for the slide-out keyboard and it isn't bad for the on-screen keyboard when in most apps BUT in the browser it doesn't work.

I had this irritation on my old phone which was an MDA Vario IV, that you didn't get predictive text when typing a nice long reply on an internet forum, but this is worse - you don't get it in the URL box either.

Anyone found a way to sort this out? Is it an Android feature or just this phone?

• 1 month later...
Guest deusum86
OK I have now got my new Desire Z and am very very happy (husband is complaining he's a phone widower).

I worked out how to switch on the predictive text for the slide-out keyboard and it isn't bad for the on-screen keyboard when in most apps BUT in the browser it doesn't work.

I had this irritation on my old phone which was an MDA Vario IV, that you didn't get predictive text when typing a nice long reply on an internet forum, but this is worse - you don't get it in the URL box either.

Anyone found a way to sort this out? Is it an Android feature or just this phone?

Unfortunately I don't have a solution but the same problem and it's a bit more widespread then yours. My Desire Z doesn't want to predict in third party apps. In native system apps the prediction works fine but in third party apps it doesn't work or only unregularly.. I just recognized that the prediction in third party apps only works after you have opened the slider, started a system app and put there some text in, which starts the prediction. Now you have to switch back to the third party app (long press home button) and then the hardware prediction works also within third party apps.

I mailed this issue to HTCs Customer Service and I am still waiting for a reply.

If I get one and maybe even get a solution I will post it here.

But it would be nice if anyone else could help us because I'm not really trustful when it comes to customer services...:D

Edited by deusum86

Guest deusum86
Unfortunately I don't have a solution but the same problem and it's a bit more widespread then yours. My Desire Z doesn't want to predict in third party apps. In native system apps the prediction works fine but in third party apps it doesn't work or only unregularly.. I just recognized that the prediction in third party apps only works after you have opened the slider, started a system app and put there some text in, which starts the prediction. Now you have to switch back to the third party app (long press home button) and then the hardware prediction works also within third party apps.

I mailed this issue to HTCs Customer Service and I am still waiting for a reply.

If I get one and maybe even get a solution I will post it here.

But it would be nice if anyone else could help us because I'm not really trustful when it comes to customer services...:D

I jost got a reply from htc. They couldn't help and told me that it's proably an issue within the 3rd party software. So no luck... I answered and told them again, that this issue concerns any 3rd party apps and because of this it's quite sure an issue within android or sense... I asked them to provide this information to their software engineers, which are maybe willing to adress and solve this problem so the fix could be implemented in further updates...