[APP] Recovery Manager v0.36 [BETA]

Guest Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404
*sigh*

Just did a 'backup firmware' using recovery manager, but when I try to restore this backup RM can't seem to find it??

It doesn't appear in the list of available backups. I can however see older ones, made with Clockwork, but not this latest one.

And what's worse - when I go into Clockwork and try to restore it that way, I get MD5 error ...

Running Pauls r11.

Can someone pls help?

I'm so not looking forward to manually trying to recreate the most recent setup ... the one I thought I made a backup of ;)

Thx!

This might be a stupid question, but know the list is scrollable? if you rub your finger up or down the screen it will scroll up and down...

Otherwise check your memory card to see if there is a directory in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/

Guest Sebastian404
Hi, im having troublw downloading the latest version. The older ones install but force close, Any chance of a different host?

Have you checked the MD5 of the file you downloaded?

Guest Sebastian404

Ok guys, another update...

And this one is a bit of change, I've moved the 'Check for updates' options into the Options Menu, press Menu to get there..

Also, when installing an update there is a tickbox that will let you wipe your device before you install....

Let me know what you think...

Guest lordofangels
Ok guys, another update...

And this one is a bit of change, I've moved the 'Check for updates' options into the Options Menu, press Menu to get there..

Also, when installing an update there is a tickbox that will let you wipe your device before you install....

Let me know what you think...

very nice Seb, this is coming along nicely,

still can't recognise firmware cause I changed the vm with vmheap tool.

can I fix this anyway.

Thanks

LoA

Guest Sebastian404
very nice Seb, this is coming along nicely,

still can't recognise firmware cause I changed the vm with vmheap tool.

can I fix this anyway.

Thanks

LoA

I guess the answer is to do like Rom Manager does and add a line into the build.prop that would let it workout which firmware you based it off.. but then the argument goes once you have started to customize your firmware... well its not the original firmware any more....

as far as the application goes, it don't care what firmware your using, it is all about the Recovery really

Guest lordofangels
I guess the answer is to do like Rom Manager does and add a line into the build.prop that would let it workout which firmware you based it off.. but then the argument goes once you have started to customize your firmware... well its not the original firmware any more....

as far as the application goes, it don't care what firmware your using, it is all about the Recovery really

your right, so if I uninstall vmheap, reflash the firmware without a wipe, think it would recognise it then?

it is all about the recovery as you say

Guest Blade_ZTE
This might be a stupid question, but know the list is scrollable? if you rub your finger up or down the screen it will scroll up and down...

Otherwise check your memory card to see if there is a directory in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/

Yup, knew that, but no show. It only showed a couple of other backups but not the one I was looking for.

I also deleted one of the other backups just to see if it was something wrong with the scrolling, but the only thing that happened was that the list of available backups got one line shorter - the one I was looking for still didn't appear.

No longer a problem though - got another phone (SGS) from my very understanding employer ;) when I started whining about how the Blade back cover didn't quite fit...

Let's see how I can screw this new one up... ;)

Guest smsmasters.co.uk
I had the same problem yesterday - Clockwork 2.5.1.8 was installed but the Recovery Manager wouldn't identify it. What I did: I redownloaded the image file - put it on my SD Card (md5 hash check!) and pressed "install recovery" in the Recoery Manager to reinstall it. Now it gets identified :P

I did this but it still doesn't recognize the recovery. Any ideas?

I think it's because I flashed v3 then flashed v2 afterwards to downgrade.

It just says "Currently installed recovery: unrecognised"

Edited by smsmasters.co.uk

Guest leavitnow
Frequently asked questions

• The application Force Closes on me

Make sure your device is rooted, and you have SuperUser installed, I recommend you use

• The application still Force Closes on me

Are you sure your device is rooted? and you have SuperUser installed? Did I mention that I recommend you use
    ?

• Yes I'm sure, and its still bust, I hate you!

I understand fully, I hate me too <sadface>. If you can replicate the fault, please run logcat from ADB and post up your log here and I will do my level best to try and fix it for you.

• What is this logcat you speak of?

if you have the USB drivers installed, and Android Debug Bridge (ADB) you can run this command
    'adb logcat RecoveryManager:* *:s'
    if you can copy and paste the parts of that log it will help me understand why your having problems.

• What's a Recovery Image?

Erm...

• What's a Firmware Image?

The Firmware is the Operation system that your device uses, in 99.9% cases on the ZTE-Blade that's android. You will find several fine example of customized Firmware on this very forum.

• You mean a Firmware is a ROM?

Some people call them ROMs yes.. but I'm going to call them Firmware, and I don't care what your mother says... lalalalala not listening....

• My Currently Installed recovery is not recognized

This could be because you are using an older version, it was flashed to the recovery partition incorrectly, download the most
    and install that using the application to ensure correct installation.

• My Currently Installed firmware is not recognized

Since the application is in BETA only a limited selection of customized firmwares are recognized, as time goes on more will be added, use the 'Check for Firmware Update' to update the Application (but not too often)

• Which firmwares are currently recognized

You can find a list of firmwares & Recovery images that the Application will recognize here

• My Currently Installed firmware is listed on your supported page, but the application still does not recognise it correctly.

It is possible that you have a modified version of the firmware, or you have changed some of the settings yourself, as the aim is only to recognise your installed firmware, unless you suffer from OCD it should not be too much of an issue... right?

• RA_recovery is not full supported, what gives!?

Unfortunately you cant externally initiate backup/recovery with the current version of RA_recovery, nor can you disable zip signature checking, so you can install and reboot to RA_recovery, but it wont let you do anything else.

• But are you not the idiot who ported RA_recovery why not add more stuff to it!?

I did consider doing just that, but it would no longer be RA-recovery... I am also working on my own fully built from scratch recovery image, that will be available when it is ready.... but hold your breath..

• <feature> does not work!

The application is in BETA, so expect it not to work exactly as you'd expect, if you can reproduce the error, please include a copy of your logcat output so I can look into it.

• Woah Dood! you've copied Koushi's ROMManger!

I admit there is some similarity, originally I set out to write a simple application that would just install Recovery Images, as time went on the 'feature creep' resulted in adding more and more features.

• I am a ROM/Recovery developer and I want my ROM/Recovery to be recognized

Drop my a PM here and I will let you know what I need to supply for it to be recognized.

• I am a ROM/Recovery developer and I do not want my ROM/Recovery to be recognized

Drop my a PM here and I will remove ROM/Recovery.

• I have a great Idea for a feature you HAVE to add

Don't be shy, post up your idea, once we have all laughed at it, I might even add it to a future version.

• Hurumble?

An excellent word. It is to be used in place of words such as "hurrah", but not in place of words such as "dog" or "pineapple"

• Can I see your source code?

Ahhh, yes see. a dog ran away with it, or the cat ate it.. one of those. I'm still cleaning it up, it needs a lot more work before I'd be happy to share it with anyone, but eventually I will post the source to my GitHub for you all to laugh at and ridicule.

Seb : i used paul's r4 rom using 2.5.1.3 at that time in november 2010, can i use completely new recovery i.e. 3.0.0.5 as i could not find any update for 2.5.1.3 ?? please advise as i really want to use froyo now??

appreciate your help, welcome your expert advise.

many many thanks

dave [email protected]

Guest IronDoc

What function does recognising firmware perform? Mine's not recognised, because I changed some stuff probably.

Could you maybe add an option for setting the default backup name as:

[date & time] - [ro.build.display.id from build.prop]

Would be helpful imo (I have around 30 backups of various ROMs with only their date and time to go by).

Guest Sebastian404
this FCs on the CM7 beta

thanks, I've not got around to trying ether of the CM builds yet.... but I'll check into it before I put out the next version later this week (hopefully)

Guest rockshu

holy s***! this is doing my head now.

i downloaded both 0.29 b and 0.32 b on my mac.

i did the same via browser on the mobile directly too.

the file gets saved as zip file. even if i rename it ot .apk and try to open it via filer it gives me a parse error.

what am i doing wrong here??

if i unzip it on the mac it creates a full folder of all the files.

please help...waiting.

Guest targetbsp

It's a zip file containing an apk file - which is the file you want. But an apk file is effectively a zip file so it sounds like you're unzipping it twice?

Edited by targetbsp

Guest IronDoc
holy s***! this is doing my head now.

i downloaded both 0.29 b and 0.32 b on my mac.

i did the same via browser on the mobile directly too.

the file gets saved as zip file. even if i rename it ot .apk and try to open it via filer it gives me a parse error.

what am i doing wrong here??

if i unzip it on the mac it creates a full folder of all the files.

please help...waiting.

er there's an apk inside the zip...

Mac-fail?

Guest rockshu
er there's an apk inside the zip...

Mac-fail?

there is no apk inside the zip.

when i unzip the downloaded file i get a folder with manifest.xml, assets folder,classes.dex, meta-inf, res, resources.asc (all these files).

Guest rockshu
It's a zip file containing an apk file - which is the file you want. But an apk file is effectively a zip file so it sounds like you're unzipping it twice?

please give me a solution if that's the case. why will the mac unzipper unzip it twice?

Guest The Soup Thief
please give me a solution if that's the case. why will the mac unzipper unzip it twice?

I struggled with this a bit at first, as Clockwork didn't seem to like the zip

Ended up just unzipping it on the phone as I was out at the time

Shove the zip on your sd card

Use the File Explorer of your choice (think I used EStrongs) to unzip the zip - it spat out an apk which I then just clicked and installed normally

Guest rockshu
I struggled with this a bit at first, as Clockwork didn't seem to like the zip

Ended up just unzipping it on the phone as I was out at the time

Shove the zip on your sd card

Use the File Explorer of your choice (think I used EStrongs) to unzip the zip - it spat out an apk which I then just clicked and installed normally

yeah i downlaod the free astro and that did the trick.

now stuck after installing the img file.

when i click the firmware tab it does not recognize the jellyfish firmware. maybe i will have to downgrade to 2.X.X from 3.0.0.5 and then try again?

Guest The Soup Thief

when i click the firmware tab it does not recognize the jellyfish firmware. maybe i will have to downgrade to 2.X.X from 3.0.0.5 and then try again?

TBH I find that it doesn't recognise many (actually, any) of the firmware I want to install, so I still end up using Clockwork to flash any new ones

I just tend to use this to do backups

Hoping that with time more new firmware will be recognised or I will figure how to use it properly by accident!

Guest rockshu

also do i have to wipe first?? it is not mentioned in the steps.

i am still running the stock rom. so the recovery manager doesn't let me backup current firmware(it says this is not a custom rom) and also it does not let me install a custom rom(again saying i need to install custom rom).

i really thought this was more easier for first timers trying custom rom , hesitatingly , on stock rom.

please help.

Guest rockshu
TBH I find that it doesn't recognise many (actually, any) of the firmware I want to install, so I still end up using Clockwork to flash any new ones

I just tend to use this to do backups

Hoping that with time more new firmware will be recognised or I will figure how to use it properly by accident!

ok i have installed clocler recovery 2.5.1.8. as the recovery manager is not working i am trying to do itmanually.

IT STILL DOESN'T WORK.

i hold the volume down button, click power and the phone is stuck at the android green logo.

nothing happens. i had to take the battery out, did it again, same thing again.

please help. someone!!!