22/May [GUIDE] How to Install a Custom ROM on the ZTE Blade [GEN1]

Guest StevenHarperUK

This is all a bit out of date now. There is plenty of good advice in here but it doesn't all apply for the current ROM regime (mostly GEN2). If no one is prepared to keep this up to date then I think it should be unpinned as it runs the risk of misinforming newbies and potentially increasing queries in numerous other threads.

Edited by nrev

• 3 weeks later...

So if this is out of date, where does a newbie like me go and find out noob-proof instructions? I've been reading these threads for 3 days now and i'm just overwhelmed with all the fast-changing information. I can pick up information and use it but not if it's out of date and confusing.

So if this is out of date, where does a newbie like me go and find out noob-proof instructions? I've been reading these threads for 3 days now and i'm just overwhelmed with all the fast-changing information. I can pick up information and use it but not if it's out of date and confusing.

That's probably the easiest/best method now for a custom ROM.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest martinhoward

I've successfully installed Japanese Jellyfish on my GEN 1 San Francisco and it works fine. I downloaded the drivers and can access it from my windows 7 PC. However I cannot get my Vista laptop to access it. Vista recognises it as a mass storage device not a ZTE device without a driver issue. When I try to open it it asks to install the SD card. I've downloaded several vista drivers, uninstalled the device drivers in control panel and manually instaled the downloaded drivesr but I continue to get a message saying the existing driver (Microsoft WPD Filesystem Volume driver) is the latest. Any suggestions as to where I can go from here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

new to this, but decided to upgrade to the following.

Ginger Stir Fry Beta 26 Gen1 to Gen2 Upgrade TPT

Download: gsf-blade-b26-tpt.zip mirror mirror mirror mirror

Download size: 100.91mb

MD5: 3a30189a8e569146a6e7f72f80afe354

SHA1: b1cef337491974870ff0598e2e00f40ca70d1b35

upgrade fine, until i tried to use the phone to ring someone, the screen goes blank gave up on this.

I then decided to go the usual route and installed clockworkmod etc tried to put swedish spring rom on as i do not know if i'm gen 1 or 2 after tpt.

mounted sd installed zip followed all instructions, done wipe, but it just boots into clockwork all the time

help please

update

have tried a number of different roms all with the same result green man for hours or reboot into clockwork.

please help or i have just bricked my new phone

Edited by dqu58t

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AlbaJoe

This is all a bit out of date now. There is plenty of good advice in here but it doesn't all apply for the current ROM regime (mostly GEN2). If no one is prepared to keep this up to date then I think it should be unpinned as it runs the risk of misinforming newbies and potentially increasing queries in numerous other threads.

You are 100%. It all seemed so straightforward until you start doing it. The issue is the guide is linked to other threads that are still being updated so when you follow the guides links you end up using updated software. For example the guide references:

Recovery Manager 0.36b

But the link takes you to the latest one; 0.37b which when downloaded is actually 0.38 ??? and from what I have gleamed elsewhere it will not run Gen 1 ?

Perhaps I am just getting confused now but it is no wonder if you are going down blind allies. The whole process has become hugely frustrating now and either the thread should be maintained properly or binned. It is causing more hassle than it helps now. Dont get me wrong it was probably fantastic at the start of the year but newbies like myself will just be scared off.

I am now starting to think that I need to up Gen it now ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Chippa93

Hi...well i tryed to perform as the guide.All seemed to go correctly untill the reboot...now im stuck with the "www.MoDaCo.com" logo at the beginning and nothing else.It simply flash from 16 seg and do nothing else.Any advice plz.

Im running a Optimus/San Francisco with a blade B03...

I repeat the modus...when it asks for install from sd/card i chose and find 2 directories with same r7...modaco stuff...

is this ok ? or there should be only 1 directorie ? thx

;)...well not sure what i did...made a factory reset...made a wipe data from sd/card...and what else...but its working now.

Beautifull set ,thx MoDaCo...thx Steven Harper.

Later i ll tell more about it.

I'm having this problem too. It's been showing the Modaco logo and website for over 30 minutes now.

I installed the ROM in this thread, but I booted to recovery and used the volume buttons to install it from there, and rebooted.

I have an Orange San Francisco Generation 1 currently with 2.1 Android, and I'm trying to get the Froyo 2.2 ROM on it.

I checked the MD5Sum number and it's exactly the same as on the thread.

If anyone can help I'll be deeply grateful. Thank you.

Edited by Chippa93

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

don't know if this can be done or if I'm stuck with it.

How do I completely remove a mod, clockwork and all?

i'm using the 'modaco custom rom for the zte blade r12'

thnaks in advance

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest idlebrat

First things first....Thanks a lot Steve...Thats an amazing guide...

Well I have a gen 1 phone running an MCR Alpha 3 ROM ..I've got it that way....

Now i wish to get a different custom ROM on that...mainly due to very less phone storage ..

After a lot of reading through the forums....i've decided to have the MCR rl12.

..I've got the files downloaded....checked the md5 sum..(according to your guide)

installed the Recovery Manager...ofcrse it would force close many times...i reinstalled it...and not problem at all...

Now the problem is...when i try to backup my current firmware ..it says " "sorry currently only clockworkmod recovery is supported for backing up your firmware"

Ive also tried to boot up in the clockwork mdoe...and selected the backup option with the volume up/down keys....there onward i just see the CWM symbol...and nothing else. it stays on like that forever....i gave it a lot of time...but nothing.

Any idea what went wrong?? Is there anything else i have to do??

This is the first time i am doing it...and down want to brick the phone ..

Thanks a lot in advance ...

Cheers,

Idlebrat

• 5 months later...
Guest sam tyler

many thanks for the guide to putting a ROM on the Blade(San Francisco)but for some reason,i cant install another ROM i followed the guide and the ROM i put on the phone was the one in the guide(r12-update-modaco custom rom-blade-kitchen-unsigned-zip)this ROM works fine,except my pet hate(i also own a zte racer so putting ROM`s on that for a while now.)i can`t seem to put certain apps on my sd card.so i thought i change the ROM,but every time i try to it aborts. stating (sorry if this bit is long winded.)``Amend scripting(update-script)is no longer supported) Amend scripting was deprecated by Google in Android 1.5 it was necessary to remove it when upgrading to 3.0 gingerbread based recovery. please switch to Edify scripting (update script and update binary)to create a working update zip packages.installation aborted. i did check the md5 sum numbers and they where correct.can anyone help with this bit? is the recovery(clockwork)out of date? or will i have reinstall recovery manager and clockwork img? i did check to make sure they were on the gen 1 list. the first ROM i put on is still working fine. hope some one has the answer!! --update--- i managed to install Swedish Spring RL55 all working so far but its now 2.2(or gen2?)but at least i have another ROM that works!

Edited by sam tyler

• 1 month later...
Guest Ape09090

bump,

folks,I'm no whizz with this stuff.

I managed to put Japanese Jellyfish on to my Gen 1 ZTE Blade /Orange San Fransisco when I first got it over a year ago,gawd only knows how I did that right first time with no problems since but anyway.

I reckon that there could be other ROM's out there now that are better at conserving/using the battery though so I downloaded ROM Manager from the android market and it's offering me Cyanogen mod 7.2.0 as a stable ROM but I'm concerned that could only be for Gen 2 phones?

So,I'm concerned that if I install Cyanogen mod 7.2.0 onto a Gen 1 ZTE Blade that I could brick it.

I'd appreciate any help or tips that anyone may feel like offering me with this,

thanks,

Andrew

• 8 months later...
Guest zoicado

i have a problem when i enter on internet or play market or youtube it auto exit from the program or the mobile just shud down

Guest zoicado

OK I CANT ENTER TO THE INTERNET i can download games from play market but when i enter in google or other sites the internet just crash