• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

Peasant

Peasant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
All sorted now, the root of the problem for me was that I couldn't get the ClockworkMod recovery img downloaded on my phone. Instead of giving me the option to save the img, the browser opened it. Instead of labouring with the phone browser I connected the phone to my laptop this morning and downloaded the image to the phone sd card using my laptop, which worked fine. I was then able to install it properly using the Recovery Manager app as per step 1. Then it was no trouble to install the Swedish Spring ROM following the steps in part 2.
Now I need to be looking over the apps and widgets to see what I need to be installing to make ROM updates straightforward in future without having to re-download stuff each time.
As many people have posted before, a great many thanks to all involved with helping noobs like me get rid of Orange non-sense and freeing things up so we can use phones properly.
Cheers. Nathan.

TommyTT

TommyTT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Orange san francisco
Thanks guys for the great tutorial!!

Just installed my first rom, iwent for the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM.

Had no probs installing, :)

Once again a big thanks to all on this wonderful site.

TommyTT

TommyTT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Orange san francisco
This is great, Now the wifes is running MCR!!!!! :)

Keltha

Keltha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade Vanilla 2.1
Hi,
I've bought a ZTE Blade a few weeks ago and I'm now thinking about rooting it. This guide seems to be the best from far! However I've got one question. My phone has Eclair (2.1); the ROM I'm planning on installing is Swedish Spring RLS5, and this page says it's a ROM based on Froyo (2.2). So my question is: is the upgrade from Eclair to Froyo going to be made automatically when I do all the installation process? Or do I need to do it myself beforehand?
Thanks!

Frogger21

Frogger21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:HTC
Hold on, I'm confused :(

I fancy trying CyanogenMod 7 on a virgin, unrooted ZTE SF. Now, according to the CyanogenMod WIKI and it says that GEN 1 phones (which this is) must be updated to GEN 2 phones first - is this correct?

Thanks for any help.

guntbert

guntbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,
I've bought a ZTE Blade a few weeks ago and I'm now thinking about rooting it. This guide seems to be the best from far! However I've got one question. My phone has Eclair (2.1); the ROM I'm planning on installing is Swedish Spring RLS5, and this page says it's a ROM based on Froyo (2.2). So my question is: is the upgrade from Eclair to Froyo going to be made automatically when I do all the installation process? Or do I need to do it myself beforehand?
Thanks!

I went the same way, it went smoothly :-)
By installing any ROM you get the OS version of that ROM - so no need to "upgrade"

su@per

su@per

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:San Fransisco
ugh this is annoying. I've got to this point ~

• Hit the MENU button on your device and choose Update Database
  • If you want to make a complete backup of your entire phone : use the option Backup Current Firmware - this will put a FULL backup of your device onto the SDCard (in a directory called clockwork)
  • Choose Install Firmware - Not the firmware update

however when ever I press install firmware a message comes up saying

"Sorry currently only ClockworkMod Recovery is supported for installing a new Firmware!"

what do I do to get around this? I'm practically tearing my hair out, I've been trying for hours and so far I can't get passed this.

EDIT - the ROM is now installed (the one mentioned in the guide) because I installed it manually. I'm now rebooting but it's taking an awful long time. I go past the Green Man and now I have the MoDaCo logo and website start screen. It's flashing on and off at various paces (< 30 - 60 secs between). Is this normal or is it quite a quick start up? I understand the phone needs to do it's thing but it's been about 20 (or more) minutes now :/

Edited by su@per, 15 July 2011 - 10:46 AM.

go_android

go_android

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, Hope I'm posting this to the right place, I'm completely new to this.
  • "Hit the MENU button on your device and choose Update Database
  • If you want to make a complete backup of your entire phone : use the option Backup Current Firmware - this will put a FULL backup of your device onto the SDCard (in a directory called clockwork)
  • Choose Install Firmware - Not the firmware update
however when ever I press install firmware a message comes up saying

"Sorry currently only ClockworkMod Recovery is supported for installing a new Firmware!"

I read the post from su@per and I've got the same problem. I wanted to do a backup and I got

"Sorry currently only ClockworkMod Recovery is supported for backing up your Firmware!"
and

when I try to Install Firmware.

I don't have "Reboot into Clockwork" but "Reboot into Recovery" in the Recovery Manager list but I do get "Currently Installed Recovey ClockworkMod Recovery v_3.0.2.8" at the bottom of the screen.

Should I go to step 3 to remove the battery and try using Clockwork manually or would it be better to choose "Reboot into into Recovery" in the Recovery Manager list?

Help will be much appreciated.

************** I have just done it all manually - took the battery out, booted into Clockwork and installed the ROM. It all went went fine. *********************

Edited by go_android, 18 July 2011 - 07:59 PM.

k0zmic

k0zmic

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hero & HTC Sensation XE
@ go_Android.

If I were you I'd use the TPT method by Wbaw, it'll upgrade your phone to Gen 2 and install a ROM of your choice as well as Clockworkmod recovery if you want to change ROM's.

http://android.modaco.com/topic/337798-gen1-to-gen2-tpt-upgrade/

go_android

go_android

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

@ go_Android.

If I were you I'd use the TPT method by Wbaw, it'll upgrade your phone to Gen 2 and install a ROM of your choice as well as Clockworkmod recovery if you want to change ROM's.

http://android.modac...n2-tpt-upgrade/

I just got it all sorted. Thanks for the advice.

nrev

nrev

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
This is all a bit out of date now. There is plenty of good advice in here but it doesn't all apply for the current ROM regime (mostly GEN2). If no one is prepared to keep this up to date then I think it should be unpinned as it runs the risk of misinforming newbies and potentially increasing queries in numerous other threads.

Edited by nrev, 15 August 2011 - 11:19 PM.

Pia23

Pia23

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Skate
So if this is out of date, where does a newbie like me go and find out noob-proof instructions? I've been reading these threads for 3 days now and i'm just overwhelmed with all the fast-changing information. I can pick up information and use it but not if it's out of date and confusing.

k0zmic

k0zmic

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hero & HTC Sensation XE

So if this is out of date, where does a newbie like me go and find out noob-proof instructions? I've been reading these threads for 3 days now and i'm just overwhelmed with all the fast-changing information. I can pick up information and use it but not if it's out of date and confusing.

http://android.modac...n2-tpt-upgrade/

That's probably the easiest/best method now for a custom ROM.

martinhoward

martinhoward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I've successfully installed Japanese Jellyfish on my GEN 1 San Francisco and it works fine. I downloaded the drivers and can access it from my windows 7 PC. However I cannot get my Vista laptop to access it. Vista recognises it as a mass storage device not a ZTE device without a driver issue. When I try to open it it asks to install the SD card. I've downloaded several vista drivers, uninstalled the device drivers in control panel and manually instaled the downloaded drivesr but I continue to get a message saying the existing driver (Microsoft WPD Filesystem Volume driver) is the latest. Any suggestions as to where I can go from here.

dqu58t

dqu58t

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all
new to this, but decided to upgrade to the following.

Ginger Stir Fry Beta 26 Gen1 to Gen2 Upgrade TPT
Download: gsf-blade-b26-tpt.zip mirror mirror mirror mirror
Download size: 100.91mb
MD5: 3a30189a8e569146a6e7f72f80afe354
SHA1: b1cef337491974870ff0598e2e00f40ca70d1b35

upgrade fine, until i tried to use the phone to ring someone, the screen goes blank gave up on this.

I then decided to go the usual route and installed clockworkmod etc tried to put swedish spring rom on as i do not know if i'm gen 1 or 2 after tpt.
mounted sd installed zip followed all instructions, done wipe, but it just boots into clockwork all the time
help please

update
have tried a number of different roms all with the same result green man for hours or reboot into clockwork.
please help or i have just bricked my new phone

Edited by dqu58t, 26 September 2011 - 06:56 PM.

AlbaJoe

AlbaJoe

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Devices:OSF

This is all a bit out of date now. There is plenty of good advice in here but it doesn't all apply for the current ROM regime (mostly GEN2). If no one is prepared to keep this up to date then I think it should be unpinned as it runs the risk of misinforming newbies and potentially increasing queries in numerous other threads.

You are 100%. It all seemed so straightforward until you start doing it. The issue is the guide is linked to other threads that are still being updated so when you follow the guides links you end up using updated software. For example the guide references:

Recovery Manager 0.36b

But the link takes you to the latest one; 0.37b which when downloaded is actually 0.38 ??? and from what I have gleamed elsewhere it will not run Gen 1 ?

Perhaps I am just getting confused now but it is no wonder if you are going down blind allies. The whole process has become hugely frustrating now and either the thread should be maintained properly or binned. It is causing more hassle than it helps now. Dont get me wrong it was probably fantastic at the start of the year but newbies like myself will just be scared off.

I am now starting to think that I need to up Gen it now ?

Kuoi

Kuoi

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Devices:ZTE BLADE
EDIT : Wrong Threat , Sorry

Edited by Kuoi, 27 October 2011 - 09:00 PM.

Running Blade Mix 360

Chippa93

Chippa93

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco Gen 1

Hi...well i tryed to perform as the guide.All seemed to go correctly untill the reboot...now im stuck with the "www.MoDaCo.com" logo at the beginning and nothing else.It simply flash from 16 seg and do nothing else.Any advice plz.
Im running a Optimus/San Francisco with a blade B03...

I repeat the modus...when it asks for install from sd/card i chose and find 2 directories with same r7...modaco stuff...
is this ok ? or there should be only 1 directorie ? thx

;)...well not sure what i did...made a factory reset...made a wipe data from sd/card...and what else...but its working now.
Beautifull set ,thx MoDaCo...thx Steven Harper.
Later i ll tell more about it.

I'm having this problem too. It's been showing the Modaco logo and website for over 30 minutes now.
I installed the ROM in this thread, but I booted to recovery and used the volume buttons to install it from there, and rebooted.
I have an Orange San Francisco Generation 1 currently with 2.1 Android, and I'm trying to get the Froyo 2.2 ROM on it.
I checked the MD5Sum number and it's exactly the same as on the thread.

If anyone can help I'll be deeply grateful. Thank you.

Edited by Chippa93, 15 November 2011 - 08:57 PM.

Andrew1964

Andrew1964

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco
sorry posted to wrong thread :unsure:

Edited by Andrew1964, 28 December 2011 - 01:24 AM.

Kraal

Kraal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

don't know if this can be done or if I'm stuck with it.

How do I completely remove a mod, clockwork and all?

i'm using the 'modaco custom rom for the zte blade r12'

thnaks in advance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users