365 replies to this topic

haamiah

haamiah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:San Francisco Optimus

Can I ask

when you say * From the clockwork menu choose: Clear Cache on the display it says > wipe cache partition
Factory Reset > wipe data/factory reset.

These are what im being displayed is it what I should do?

Dave

yes.so i did that.

jampton

jampton

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:null
Great work, thanks very much.

It's so simple that even me and my fellow idiot have successfully installed Froyo!

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco

Can I ask

when you say * From the clockwork menu choose: Clear Cache on the display it says > wipe cache partition
Factory Reset > wipe data/factory reset.

These are what im being displayed is it what I should do?

Dave

Yes your right I have not got the names right - I will fix them now.

so YES choose them 2

umster

umster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Hi Steven,

Just got myself another Blade!! just received it now. :)

I want to install Jap Jelly R8

which is the best way to install now, should I use Clockwork or TFT,

what about the system partition? should I change it

Also which addon are recommend by you?

Many Thanks
;)

Phoenix Silver

Phoenix Silver

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade Orange France
  • Twitter:@phoenixbjp

Hi Steven,

Just got myself another Blade!! just received it now. :)

I want to install Jap Jelly R8

which is the best way to install now, should I use Clockwork or TFT,

what about the system partition? should I change it

Also which addon are recommend by you?

Many Thanks
;)

well my 2 cents opinion
new users and some other users should use the clockwork method
it's the easier and risk-less method

users should use recovery manager if they have connection problems (usb doesn't work and so on)

i recommend transfer phone method for advanced users (more risks to brick your phone especially if your model number has not been tested yet)

for the partitions there are 2 schools
some roms use app2sd with fat32 partition
nothing to to do let your scdcard with a full fat32 part

some roms (like paul baked rom) use a2sd and a2sd+
you have to split your scdcard with a ext 2/3 partition (512 megs is enough)
you have to create fat32 partition first and ext partition in second place

for an ex in my phone (2gigs sdcard) i have a fat32 partition 1.5 gigs and a ext3 partition 512 megs with a2sd and a2sd+ installed
running Paul's rom r11

Si le corps est mortel, l’âme elle est éternelle.

umster

umster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

well my 2 cents opinion
new users and some other users should use the clockwork method
it's the easier and risk-less method

users should use recovery manager if they have connection problems (usb doesn't work and so on)

i recommend transfer phone method for advanced users (more risks to brick your phone especially if your model number has not been tested yet)

for the partitions there are 2 schools
some roms use app2sd with fat32 partition
nothing to to do let your scdcard with a full fat32 part

some roms (like paul baked rom) use a2sd and a2sd+
you have to split your scdcard with a ext 2/3 partition (512 megs is enough)
you have to create fat32 partition first and ext partition in second place

for an ex in my phone (2gigs sdcard) i have a fat32 partition 1.5 gigs and a ext3 partition 512 megs with a2sd and a2sd+ installed
running Paul's rom r11

Thank you Phoenix Silver for taking the time to reply back,

one more question, should I change system partition to 128mb, as mentioned below!! would it be better too

Changing system partition size to 128Mb and data to 286Mb(FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY ON THEIR OWN RISK!)

Thanks

Phoenix Silver

Phoenix Silver

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Thank you Phoenix Silver for taking the time to reply back,

one more question, should I change system partition to 128mb, as mentioned below!! would it be better too

Changing system partition size to 128Mb and data to 286Mb(FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY ON THEIR OWN RISK!)

Thanks

i would wait before to do this
especially if you would want to try a couple of roms
when you will be fixed which rom you'll use every day you could do the operation

if you want my opinion don't do this lol
but if you want to risk in very first place check if your phone model is in the already approved list
just a tip : replace recovery.img in image directory by recovery_clockwork.......img (rename recovery_clockwork2.1.... in recovery.img)
if something goes wrong you can always reboot phone in clockwork mode

umster

umster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

i would wait before to do this
especially if you would want to try a couple of roms
when you will be fixed which rom you'll use every day you could do the operation

if you want my opinion don't do this lol
but if you want to risk in very first place check if your phone model is in the already approved list
just a tip : replace recovery.img in image directory by recovery_clockwork.......img (rename recovery_clockwork2.1.... in recovery.img)
if something goes wrong you can always reboot phone in clockwork mode

Hi,

where can I find the approved list please.

There are two ways to install a ROM
Using Clockwork
Using the Total Phone Transfer System (TPT)

which is a better method? please

Best Regards

Edited by umster, 20 January 2011 - 02:40 PM.

Phoenix Silver

Phoenix Silver

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Hi,

where can I find the approved list please.

There are two ways to install a ROM
Using Clockwork
Using the Total Phone Transfer System (TPT)

which is a better method? please

Best Regards

first post green paragraph number 4
the two ways are easy
tpt method you need the OP give you the files in this format (.img files)
clocwork you need a .zip file

umster

umster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

first post green paragraph number 4
the two ways are easy
tpt method you need the OP give you the files in this format (.img files)
clocwork you need a .zip file

If I use TPT and the partition sizes change, is that permanent or can it be changed for the next rom you decide to install??

TPT also has the power to change other much deeper parts of the device, please explain??

"TPT also has the power to change other much deeper parts of the device; the first discovery has been that you can change the partition sizes.

This means the the Spare space (MB) in the system partition location - can be squeezed down so that you have more space to install Apps in the data partition.
The ROM developer will pick the correct size partition for their ROM."

thomecq

thomecq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I have a problem with installing UniversalAndroot. I've tried 1.61 and 1.62 versions. There is no info in Summary, no install button and in details tab it says 'Could not open /sdcard/new/universalandroot_1.6.1.apk as APK file'. Turning device off and on doesn't help. Redownloading doesn't help either. My firmware version is 2.1-update1, kernel version is 2.6.29.
Could someone help me?
p.s. sorry for my english

GNUK

GNUK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
Many thanks for a great guide Steven, I finally plucked up the courage tonight to try a new ROM. Between the guide and your video I am now running JJ RLS8 :lol:

Posted Image

umster

umster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Hi,
I have a problem with installing UniversalAndroot. I've tried 1.61 and 1.62 versions. There is no info in Summary, no install button and in details tab it says 'Could not open /sdcard/new/universalandroot_1.6.1.apk as APK file'. Turning device off and on doesn't help. Redownloading doesn't help either. My firmware version is 2.1-update1, kernel version is 2.6.29.
Could someone help me?
p.s. sorry for my english

I had the same problem.

it was a corrupted download file, best thing to do is delete the first file you downloaded and re-download it.

make sure you run disk cleanup in windows first to remove any files on cache.

crankykick

crankykick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Devices:zte blade/ Huawei G300
Hi

Big thank you for this guide and everyone who has made roms/themes/mods/unlocks. (there are too many to mention!)

Using recovery manager method putting a rom on was dead easy.

Thank you all

:lol:

womble_sanfran

womble_sanfran

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
This is a great guide, it will be very helpful to me.

I have been investigating putting the MCR r11 Custom Rom/Firmware on my phone, I want to know as much about it before I start. I have a few queries which I believe are different to the normal queries we see here many times each day, they relate more to the phone file structure to aid my understanding, they arent in the FAQ or in this thread….

Am I right in thinking that most of the apps that are packaged with the ROM end up in /system/app?
Am I right in thinking that apps added from the market end up in /data/app?

If that is the case then I have some questions about how to go about baking the best possible ROM in the kitchen. I don’t have a need for a number of the apps so will not tick those options, this will save me space in /system/app. If any new apps I add from the market end up in /data/app then what is the point in saving space in /system by baking a 'lite' ROM?

I hear some people have repartitioned /system to be smaller, I would rather not do that, would it not achieve the same thing if I just stick the apk files for any extra apps I want in /system/app within the ROM zip file before flashing? This would mean those apps took up space in /system/app rather than /data/app (which I want to keep as empty as possible to accommodate any apps I want in the future).

Also ROMs tend to contain some apps like Google Maps, when this is installed from the market I get notified when it has been updated, do I still get those notifications if an app comes with the rom in /system/app?

Thanks,
Womble

UK Orange OLED San Francisco - Stock ROM - OUK_P729BV1.0.0B05 - Swedish Spring RLS5

Evanb78

Evanb78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Just a noob question (even though I've flashed 3 different ROMs already).

On the various threads of individual custom ROMs, the developers mostly suggest to wipe data/cache first and then to flash the new ROM (when using Clockwork manually).

However, on the section 3 of this guide ("3. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork Manually"), it writes that to flash a new ROM first and then to wipe data and cache.

Which of the two procedures is more correct?

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Just a noob question (even though I've flashed 3 different ROMs already).

On the various threads of individual custom ROMs, the developers mostly suggest to wipe data/cache first and then to flash the new ROM (when using Clockwork manually).

However, on the section 3 of this guide ("3. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork Manually"), it writes that to flash a new ROM first and then to wipe data and cache.

Which of the two procedures is more correct?

Both are correct

When you flash a ROM you Write Data to

BOOT partition
SYSTEM partition

These are read (read only) when the system runs normally - when the system starts if the DATA partition is blank then it does a first run install.....

SO as long as you WIPE the DATA partition BEFORE you reboot it just doesn't matter

Before or AFTER an UNZIP of the ROM

The WIPE effects completely different partitions to the install -- its the first boot that matters

Evanb78

Evanb78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Before or AFTER an UNZIP of the ROM

Thanks for the clarification. Is it only "before or after" or it could also be "before or/and after"? I'm asking because the first ROM I flashed, I wiped data/cache before and after installing the new ROM and then I rebooted. And I didn't see any issues.

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Thanks for the clarification. Is it only "before or after" or it could also be "before or/and after"? I'm asking because the first ROM I flashed, I wiped data/cache before and after installing the new ROM and then I rebooted. And I didn't see any issues.

Yes it can be both - you can format the DATA part 1000 times before you reboot - but you may get bored.

Think of it as when you install the ROM you are putting an install CD in your CD Drive
When you WIPE you are formatting your HARD DISK

SO as long as the CD is in and the HARDDISK is wiped - then when you re-boot it will always be the same.

doddy954

doddy954

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
Hi steve, I have followed your tutorial vid for putting everything on to the blade and disaster. Now I cannot get passed the green android screen, no matter what I try. I have tried reconnecting to the pc but it wont let me see any files. I can get into the clockwork screen by removing battery and holding down button, I tried restoring and nothing happened so now have no idea how to get an operating system back on. Any ideas on what I should do before I throw it against a wall. My friend has the same phone, is there a way that I can use her sd card to get the details back on, either by formatting my sd or using her sd in my phone.

Regards

Steve

Edited by doddy954, 22 January 2011 - 12:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users