365 replies to this topic

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco

Hi steve, I have followed your tutorial vid for putting everything on to the blade and disaster. Now I cannot get passed the green android screen, no matter what I try. I have tried reconnecting to the pc but it wont let me see any files. I can get into the clockwork screen by removing battery and holding down button, I tried restoring and nothing happened so now have no idea how to get an operating system back on. Any ideas on what I should do before I throw it against a wall.

Regards

Steve

Ok : Dont panic.

Follow The 3rd Guide on the main POST
3. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork Manually

You will have to Re-install the ROM from the SDCard

You can mount the SDCard in Clockwork by going into Mounts (near bottom of Menu) then choose the last one Mount USB

Then Choose the Install from SDCard (choose Zip) and choose the ROM you want (off your SD Card)

Then Choose wipe cache partition & then wipe data/factory reset. (both from main menu)

After that re-boot and wait for about 6 minutes (if you don't get stuck on the green android).

If you do get stuck again, then is is likely that you need to re-download the ROM file as the one you have is damaged.

If you can get into Clockwork - then you are NEVER unable to recover.

umster

umster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Hi Steven,

If I use TPT and the partition sizes change, is that permanent or can it be changed for the next rom i decide to install??

TPT also has the power to change other much deeper parts of the device, please explain??

"TPT also has the power to change other much deeper parts of the device; the first discovery has been that you can change the partition sizes.

This means the the Spare space (MB) in the system partition location - can be squeezed down so that you have more space to install Apps in the data partition.
The ROM developer will pick the correct size partition for their ROM."

Thanks

Evanb78

Evanb78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Yes it can be both - you can format the DATA part 1000 times before you reboot - but you may get bored.
Think of it as when you install the ROM you are putting an install CD in your CD Drive
When you WIPE you are formatting your HARD DISK

Thanks for the clarification with a very nice example :lol:

I could very much appreciate it if you could clarify the following taken from the guide:

If you want to make a complete backup of your entire phone : use the clockwork option backup - this will put a FULL backup of your device onto the SDCard (in a directory called clockwork)

I purchased a Blade from someone who had already installed a custom ROM in it. The device has serious WiFi issues and needs to be returned or replaced but before I do that I need to restore the phone to its factory condition. When I asked him where in the SD Card is the backup, he answered that the original ROM is not on the SD card, because you can't flash back the dumped files, as they need some editing. Is this correct? Every guide and information I read, they explicitly write that the first and most important step before flashing a new ROM is to make a backup of the old ROM. What's good of backing up the old ROM if you can't restore it?

From the little I know and read the last few days, it seems that the backup is rather simple and straightforward procedure with Clockworkmod (I've already tried it when I flashed a new ROM). Isn't the restore with Clockwork just as simple as the backup? Or you can't flash back the dumped files, like the one who sold me the Blade claims?

My complete saga here:
http://android.modac...p...t&p=1571317

Edited by Evanb78, 22 January 2011 - 11:28 AM.

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Hi Steven,

If I use TPT and the partition sizes change, is that permanent or can it be changed for the next rom i decide to install??

TPT also has the power to change other much deeper parts of the device, please explain??

"TPT also has the power to change other much deeper parts of the device; the first discovery has been that you can change the partition sizes.

This means the the Spare space (MB) in the system partition location - can be squeezed down so that you have more space to install Apps in the data partition.
The ROM developer will pick the correct size partition for their ROM."

Thanks

TPT is a method of install that re-partitions the whole device - then extracts the IMAGES it has into each partition.

Different TPT's have different partition sizes

So if you want to go back - you choose a TPT with the standard partition size.

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Thanks for the clarification with a very nice example :lol:

I could very much appreciate it if you could clarify the following taken from the guide:

I purchased a Blade from someone who had already installed a custom ROM in it. The device has serious WiFi issues and needs to be returned or replaced but before I do that I need to restore the phone to its factory condition. When I asked him where in the SD Card is the backup, he answered that the original ROM is not on the SD card, because you can't flash back the dumped files, as they need some editing. Is this correct? Every guide and information I read, they explicitly write that the first and most important step before flashing a new ROM is to make a backup of the old ROM. What's good of backing up the old ROM if you can't restore it?

From the little I know and read the last few days, it seems that the backup is rather simple and straightforward procedure with Clockworkmod (I've already tried it when I flashed a new ROM). Isn't the restore with Clockwork just as simple as the backup? Or you can't flash back the dumped files, like the one who sold me the Blade claims?

My complete saga here:
http://android.modac...p...t&p=1571317

If the backup was done in clockwork (and was a nandroid backup) then a restore will put the SYSTEM / USERDATA / BOOT/ CACHE back to how they originally were.

However there will still be clockwork on the RECOVERY partition.

You could fix this by getting the RECOVERY.img out of the Hungarian TPT and use FASTBOOT to write it over the RECOVERY partition.

umster

umster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

TPT is a method of install that re-partitions the whole device - then extracts the IMAGES it has into each partition.

Different TPT's have different partition sizes

So if you want to go back - you choose a TPT with the standard partition size.

Great Thanks,

I've just flashed my phone, i've used the standard clockwork install for now (JJ RLS8)

I'll use TPT in a few days, just to get acquainted with the new rom .

JudasLucifer

JudasLucifer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Devices:Zte Blade
I can install The Recovery Manager File, but, when I open it it keeps force closing? Any ideas to stop this? Ill try rebooting phone etc for now.

Sig.png

What Font Are You Using? (thats legible of course :P)

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

I can install The Recovery Manager File, but, when I open it it keeps force closing? Any ideas to stop this? Ill try rebooting phone etc for now.

This happens when superuser doesn't kick in right

Use a Task killer to kill everything.

Then RE-install the Recovery Manager(from the APK) - then restart it

joss_

joss_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:San Francisco (ZTE Blade)
  • Twitter:@josemteixeira
Shouldn't we wipe off everything before install the ROM?

JudasLucifer

JudasLucifer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
Tried All That... Sorry that post wasnt very useful :/

Sig.png

JudasLucifer

JudasLucifer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
I continually use task manager to kill all tasks, probably my most used app...
I am running the stock rom on my oled device
I have rooted and installed superuser permissions and busybox etc
I check the md5 matchs before installing, its is correct for BOTH versions of recovery manager
I try to install via astro, and says installation sucessful, however, when I open it it comes up with "The application Recovery Manager (process com.podtwo.Recoverymanager) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again later.

If it makes any difference I have deleted a load of stock orange apps using titanium backup, and my vm heap is at 48.

Cheers In Advance :lol:

Sig.png

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

I continually use task manager to kill all tasks, probably my most used app...
I am running the stock rom on my oled device
I have rooted and installed superuser permissions and busybox etc
I check the md5 matchs before installing, its is correct for BOTH versions of recovery manager
I try to install via astro, and says installation sucessful, however, when I open it it comes up with "The application Recovery Manager (process com.podtwo.Recoverymanager) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again later.

If it makes any difference I have deleted a load of stock orange apps using titanium backup, and my vm heap is at 48.

Cheers In Advance :lol:

If you can't get it to install - try the Fastboot way

JudasLucifer

JudasLucifer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
I have just used fastboot and installed the ROM...it is booting up as we speak. Thankyou very much :lol:

Sig.png

karololszak

karololszak

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

If the backup was done in clockwork (and was a nandroid backup) then a restore will put the SYSTEM / USERDATA / BOOT/ CACHE back to how they originally were.

However there will still be clockwork on the RECOVERY partition.

You could fix this by getting the RECOVERY.img out of the Hungarian TPT and use FASTBOOT to write it over the RECOVERY partition.

Is there any way of getting RECOVERY.img out of the stock ROM? You know, I just want to be sure i backup everything, in case I will need to restore the phone to a before-the-flashing state :)
___
I found a way of doing it here. Apps I used: Universal Androot 1.6.1 (from here -autors' site, as I am not registered on the xda forum...), Android Terminal Emulator, and ES File Explorer - for installing Universal Androot and ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager. Now I am ready to change my Firmware :lol:
I will install clockwork recovery via ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager, then I will do a backup [I hope it is going to be a full, nandroid backup?], and then I shall be ready to flash and change my Firmware to 2.2! But that's coming tomorrow...
If I will have any problems, I'll let you know :)

Edited by karololszak, 22 January 2011 - 10:47 PM.

FREE BITCOINS! Yes, we give away bitcoins for absolutely free! Check it out!

DasReich

DasReich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
how do I create Ext3 partition with clockwork 2.5.1.8 ?

different bob

different bob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Steven, I've just registered here to say thanks for this guide. Worked like a charm, and I've been able to get a clean Froyo install. Two thumbs up!

Evanb78

Evanb78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Thanks Steven but perhaps I wasn't clear. There isn't any backup in the SD Card.

The seller flashed a custom ROM over the original stock ROM without making any backup of the stock ROM first. When I asked him why he didn't make a backup he answered: "the original ROM is not on the SD card, because you can't flash back the dumped files, as they need some editing".

So is he correct that you can't make a complete backup and restore of your phone because the "dumped files need some editing"? I'm afraid that it's not correct because every guide I see, it says that with Clockwork, not only you can make a full backup but also a complete restore without any king of "editing".

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Thanks Steven but perhaps I wasn't clear. There isn't any backup in the SD Card.

The seller flashed a custom ROM over the original stock ROM without making any backup of the stock ROM first. When I asked him why he didn't make a backup he answered: "the original ROM is not on the SD card, because you can't flash back the dumped files, as they need some editing".

So is he correct that you can't make a complete backup and restore of your phone because the "dumped files need some editing"? I'm afraid that it's not correct because every guide I see, it says that with Clockwork, not only you can make a full backup but also a complete restore without any king of "editing".

Yes dumped files are very different from ones made when doing a backup in clockwork (nandroid)

You can however download the STOCK from for you country - flash that in clockwork - Wipe (factory reset in clockwork) - then use fastboot to replace the recovery partition with a Stock one (the recovery.img from the Hungarian update for instance)

That would do it.

umster

umster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Hi Steven,

Please can you help me to get the menu button to work again to get into settings.

Now it doesn't do any thing

thx

Evanb78

Evanb78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Yes dumped files are very different from ones made when doing a backup in clockwork (nandroid)

You can however download the STOCK from for you country - flash that in clockwork - Wipe (factory reset in clockwork) - then use fastboot to replace the recovery partition with a Stock one (the recovery.img from the Hungarian update for instance)

Thanks for your quick answer. Unfortunately the site that hosts the stock ROMs is currently down, so I have to wait when (or if) it comes back again. But even when/if the site comes up, I was told that the particular stock ROM for my Blade that it was hosted there, is only the dumped ROM, not the flashable one. :lol:

And my noob question is: If the seller hadn't omitted to backup the stock ROM with the Clockworkmod, could I have restored it immediately and fast, avoiding all this mess? Or I would have needed the dumped files as well?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users