I had a problem at first. This seems to have been caused because I added " original rom" to the end of the filename for the backup. I got some sort of error on the text mode display about a badly-formatted command. I'm not an Android expert, but I've done quite a lot with DOS, Windows, Linux etc... so I think it was because there were two spaces in the filename I specified. Clockwork recovery asked me to report the problem.
Second try: I had to re-run the universal androot application and re-root the phone before clockwork recovery would launch again. Once it did, I tried entering the filename without spaces, and I can now see that the process is working and backing up my original files.
It might be worth adding a short comment in the howto at the top of the thread about this. Sorry if this has already been posted; I briefly checked and didn't see anything like that, but it's possible I missed it.
It's awesome stuff here; I stumbled upon this forum, and because of the amazing work that you have done, and because the deal was good with the extras thrown in, I decided to join as a plus member. :-) Thanks!