• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

davtom.net

davtom.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco
Just coming to the end of this process for the first time... I am doing the backup now with the recovery manager.

I had a problem at first. This seems to have been caused because I added " original rom" to the end of the filename for the backup. I got some sort of error on the text mode display about a badly-formatted command. I'm not an Android expert, but I've done quite a lot with DOS, Windows, Linux etc... so I think it was because there were two spaces in the filename I specified. Clockwork recovery asked me to report the problem.

Second try: I had to re-run the universal androot application and re-root the phone before clockwork recovery would launch again. Once it did, I tried entering the filename without spaces, and I can now see that the process is working and backing up my original files.

It might be worth adding a short comment in the howto at the top of the thread about this. Sorry if this has already been posted; I briefly checked and didn't see anything like that, but it's possible I missed it.

It's awesome stuff here; I stumbled upon this forum, and because of the amazing work that you have done, and because the deal was good with the extras thrown in, I decided to join as a plus member. :-) Thanks!

Dan Diplo

Dan Diplo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade (San Francisco)
  • Twitter:@DanDiplo
Just want to thank Steve Harper, Paul and the rest of the team here for a fantastic job. I'd never even used a smartphone before getting my San Francisco, let alone an Android one, but the guide here enabled me to successfully flash my ROM to 2.2 (MoDaCo Froyo ROM (r7)) with ease. Whole process probably took less than 15 mins and went like, erm, Clockwork ;) The difference between 2.2 and the Orange "crud" is amazing - so much smoother and responsive and looks better, too. Cheers guys!

tandeh

tandeh

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
HI Can anyone make a total transfer stock rom? I need to send the Orange UK san fran back as i'm now phoneless (my backup phone got run over LOL) .

PLEASE HELP ASAP, Thanx

jellywobbles

jellywobbles

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Devices:HTC HD2, Advent Vega

Just want to thank Steve Harper, Paul and the rest of the team here for a fantastic job. I'd never even used a smartphone before getting my San Francisco, let alone an Android one, but the guide here enabled me to successfully flash my ROM to 2.2 (MoDaCo Froyo ROM (r7)) with ease. Whole process probably took less than 15 mins and went like, erm, Clockwork ;) The difference between 2.2 and the Orange "crud" is amazing - so much smoother and responsive and looks better, too. Cheers guys!

+1 I'll second that! The whole process was "kids stuff" compared to doing similar on other Android devices!

Wish the process was as easy on my Advent Vega tablet! CWM on this device can prove to be a nightmare for some!

The OSF must be the "deal of the decade" - and so fast! Brilliant value - thanks to all here who made the transition so easy!

;)

JellyW
-----------------------------------------------------
HTC HD2 running Pongsters HyperDroid-CM7-v1.0.3 in NAND with CWM
Advent Vega 1.08 with MCR Add-On r8 + Performance pack + CWM

Free DROPBOX!

Share files between your PC/Tablet/phone/ipod
2GB free when you sign up but Click on my link
to get an extra free 250mb ;) for the both of us

fredfox_uk

fredfox_uk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire, Pulse Mini
Thanks for your great guide :P worked fine for me.

fblu

fblu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Is there a reason why we shall remove the battery and put it back in before booting into clockwork? If I get into clockwork without the battery-thing, is it ok? or is the install not reliable?

noobKeef

noobKeef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
Having done a week or so of internet reading I got my first smart phone ever, the Zte Blade, last week. I had already found your site by then and read plenty of your posts and was sure I could follow your guides to unlock, root, backup and install Japanese Jellyfish. Arr Too’s unlock app worked a treat particularly as I was reluctant to give my IMEI to the web. I had no trouble understanding and following your guide with regard to using the Recovery Manager. I had two issues: 1. getting super user permissions. One of the posts I read suggested running the Root element a couple of times and that worked for me, and 2 was the driver issue but again I followed the posts advice and that also worked. Running the Recovery Manager for backup and installing JJ worked perfectly without any hitch.
The phone is lightning fast and so much more appealing without the orange stuff, and I am delighted with it. I have to say I am most impressed with the stuff you guys have done and the help you give us noobs. Many, many thanks.

rmg

rmg

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Please excuse my noobness.

A couple of questions.

I have ClockWork 2.5.0.9 installed, Can I use this version to install a newer rom (specifically Japanese Jellyfish RLS9) Or do I have to update it to 3.0.0.5 or 2.5.1.8?

I have done a Full Backup using ClockWork, once I have installed the new rom If I restore will it just put back apps and data or does it also restore the old rom?

I did look but answers to these 2 specific questions eluded me.

thx.

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Is there a reason why we shall remove the battery and put it back in before booting into clockwork? If I get into clockwork without the battery-thing, is it ok? or is the install not reliable?

Its not really required - its just to make sure its rebooted.

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Please excuse my noobness.

A couple of questions.

I have ClockWork 2.5.0.9 installed, Can I use this version to install a newer rom (specifically Japanese Jellyfish RLS9) Or do I have to update it to 3.0.0.5 or 2.5.1.8?

I have done a Full Backup using ClockWork, once I have installed the new rom If I restore will it just put back apps and data or does it also restore the old rom?

I did look but answers to these 2 specific questions eluded me.

thx.

Yes some of the newer ROMS need a newer clockwork.

Restoring in clockwork - restores EVERYTHING Boot / ROM / DATA - it will be exactly like you had it before you ran the restore (it doesn't restore recovery (clockwork))

Nitsson

Nitsson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Devices:Orange SF, Galaxy S2
A big thanks for the guide. Was looking for a entry-level Android phone for my girlfriend and OSF fit the bill perfectly. Bought it in a Orange shop on Oxford Street, and unlocked / installed JF in under an hour thanks to the guides. Feels much more responsive without the Orange stuff and on OS 2.2.

As an iPhone user of two years (jailbroken, of course) I miss a few things in Android OS (most notably swipe-to-delete for messages) but there are so many positives. I love to customise and will seriously consider Android when it's time for me to upgrade, probably in the summer when I've seen what iPhone 5 has to offer.

Jaminben

Jaminben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

So here are the Steps
[indent=1]
Download to your Phones SD Card

Recovery manager was a ZIP file, I unzipped it so now its a IMG file on my SD card, should I have done this? Or left it zipped?

Also where on the sd card should I put these? Just at the root? Because there's a folder called android etc.

Also I'm going to use the japanese jellyfish rom (for now), it says I should wipe :

IMPORTANT! Everyone must wipe data/cache when updating from RLS7 or erlier. Even if you tried RLS7.5 (sorry but I signed some more stuff after RLS7.5 so a wipe is needed)

When updating to RLS9 from RLS8 a full wipe is not needed but you must wipe data from the three Contacts related apps and resync your contacts. If unsure, do a full wipe.

How do I do this?

leavitnow

leavitnow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:orange san francisco

Ok Everyone?

I know its a big change, but its time to move with the times.

Any veterans who would like to follow my guide word for word and see if I made any mistakes please do so,
likewise if anyone gets stuck - or thinks it could be clearer please please please post.

i used paul's r4 rom using 2.5.1.3 at that time in november 2010, can i use completely new recovery i.e. 3.0.0.5 as i could not find any update for 2.5.1.3 ?? please advise as i really want to use froyo now??

appreciate your help, welcome your expert advise.

many many thanks

dave [email protected]

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

i used paul's r4 rom using 2.5.1.3 at that time in november 2010, can i use completely new recovery i.e. 3.0.0.5 as i could not find any update for 2.5.1.3 ?? please advise as i really want to use froyo now??

appreciate your help, welcome your expert advise.

many many thanks

dave [email protected]

Yes 3.0.0.5 will be fine with Japanese Jellyfish

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Recovery manager was a ZIP file, I unzipped it so now its a IMG file on my SD card, should I have done this? Or left it zipped?

Also where on the sd card should I put these? Just at the root? Because there's a folder called android etc.
Also I'm going to use the japanese jellyfish rom (for now), it says I should wipe :
IMPORTANT! Everyone must wipe data/cache when updating from RLS7 or erlier. Even if you tried RLS7.5 (sorry but I signed some more stuff after RLS7.5 so a wipe is needed)

When updating to RLS9 from RLS8 a full wipe is not needed but you must wipe data from the three Contacts related apps and resync your contacts. If unsure, do a full wipe.

How do I do this?

Recovery Manager is an APK file

Recovery.img is clockwork

If you choose the install in Recovery Manager (latest) it will do a wipe for you.

Jaminben

Jaminben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
lush cheers, by latest i take it you mean the one you said in your step by step guide which i quoted (0.29b) or did you mean the 0.32 beta? cheers!

LostGeordie

LostGeordie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Hi guys,

Looking forward to trying this new way. A few months back i sucessfully flashedmy phone using the old way. This way sounds amazing and im keen to now try 2.2. To do so i need to update clockwork. So i had planned to install it again, as described as i believe it will just lay itself over the older version?

Ive had a problem, as when i click the links to download clockwork (not the zip), i just get an internet page with lots of code. What am i doing wrong? Im pinching a mac to do it on, as im normally on a pc at home.

Finally, i have a backup made from my current version on clockwork. What will happen to that when i upgrade?

Any advise woulf be much apprecaited. I had spent sone time searching and browsing without sucess.

Andy

timbo347

timbo347

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade (San Francisco)

Ok Everyone?

Thanks Steven - I just rooted and reflashed my ZTE Blade to 2.2 - this all works fine. I had a glitch when my phone didn't reboot, following putting on the new ROM, but fixed it with the HELP! instructions. Great work - thanks again. Tim

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

lush cheers, by latest i take it you mean the one you said in your step by step guide which i quoted (0.29b) or did you mean the 0.32 beta? cheers!

Both will do - the interface is different (slightly) in 0.32

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Hi guys,

Looking forward to trying this new way. A few months back i sucessfully flashedmy phone using the old way. This way sounds amazing and im keen to now try 2.2. To do so i need to update clockwork. So i had planned to install it again, as described as i believe it will just lay itself over the older version?

Ive had a problem, as when i click the links to download clockwork (not the zip), i just get an internet page with lots of code. What am i doing wrong? Im pinching a mac to do it on, as im normally on a pc at home.

Finally, i have a backup made from my current version on clockwork. What will happen to that when i upgrade?

Any advise woulf be much apprecaited. I had spent sone time searching and browsing without sucess.

Andy

The browser is trying to render the .img file - instead of downloading it - better to grab it on a PC (firefox) and copy across.

Use Recovery manager to put on a New Clockwork version - the old ones don't cover the new ROM install requirements.

Your old backups should work with the new Clockwork, but you can always revert clockwork to restore the older clockwork.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users