131 replies to this topic

the sandman

the sandman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia i920

why is it that i can't get android out of landscape mode? anyone else with i920 having this issue?

yes, with the old kernel i dont think there is a way to get out of landscape mode

Samsung Omnia II i920

nickmo20

nickmo20

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Devices:Omnia i910 & i920
hmmm. not much luck with Beta2 on i920. it actually gets past 'jumping to kernel' (of course i have to use 'Image' not 'zImage') but it tells me SD card does not have enough room? i have 4 of 8Gg free, but most likely i need to make a new partition? or format it ahead of time??? I'll give it a shot, seems more promising so far! I will report back!

elbee72

elbee72

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i8000, HTC Desire

hmmm. not much luck with Beta2 on i920. it actually gets past 'jumping to kernel' (of course i have to use 'Image' not 'zImage') but it tells me SD card does not have enough room? i have 4 of 8Gg free, but most likely i need to make a new partition? or format it ahead of time??? I'll give it a shot, seems more promising so far! I will report back!

The combo old kernel and new beta2 isn't working. No sd support in old kernel, and beta2 installer uses sd card for rootfs.
You could work around this, but then you meet the UART and other diffs (can be dangerous for you hardware/phone) and the non working touch driver.

So better to wait for Almar (or other dev) to make the current touch driver work on i920, and make special i920 build with changed hardware mappings like UART.

What can be done in the mean time is making ADB work with alpha, so nessecary detail logging information during Android booting and running can be collected for devs.

For info about Android port to I8000 Omnia 2 (like) winmo phones you can visit http://code.google.com/p/omnia2droid/

W_Jester3

W_Jester3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:Samsung - i920
So glad to find some people working on this!!!

I am awaiting a working prototype anxiously....!! I so want Android running on my i920. :)

I have been getting more and more frustrated at my WinMo (is it DS23 now? or something like that.) for the past several weeks... I have been down to 23M of RAM available!!! [Unbelievable... Did they think we wouldn't need this vital resource!?]. I need a working Android ROM or System fast, or I think I may throw this wanna-be brick in the river. :huh:

If there is anything I can do to help test this project please let me know.

Wes

Edited by W_Jester3, 03 March 2011 - 02:08 PM.

nickmo20

nickmo20

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

I am awaiting a working prototype anxiously....!! I so want Android running on my i920. :(

I have been getting more and more frustrated at my WinMo (is it DS23 now? or something like that.) for the past several weeks... I have been down to 23M of RAM available!!! [Unbelievable... Did they think we wouldn't need this vital resource!?]. I need a working Android ROM or System fast, or I think I may throw this wanna-be brick in the river. :(

Wes

before throwing it into the river, throw it my way... I'll soak it up!

nickmo20

nickmo20

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

I am awaiting a working prototype anxiously....!! I so want Android running on my i920. :(

I have been getting more and more frustrated at my WinMo (is it DS23 now? or something like that.) for the past several weeks... I have been down to 23M of RAM available!!! [Unbelievable... Did they think we wouldn't need this vital resource!?]. I need a working Android ROM or System fast, or I think I may throw this wanna-be brick in the river. :(

Wes

before throwing it into the river, throw it my way... I'll soak it up! and the newest OEM ROM is DG21. why not flash to a custom?

W_Jester3

W_Jester3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

before throwing it into the river, throw it my way... I'll soak it up!

That would be a pretty good toss from Johnson City, TN. But I'll give it a try if it comes to that point! :)

newest OEM ROM is DG21.

I think this is the flash I tried about two months ago. I still have all sorts of problems wit da darn ting mon. Slower than..... well...Molasses. :(

why not flash to a custom?

I did try that Leopard one...... almost bricked it then. Now I think I got the whole flashing thing down. And I have been thinking of trying some of Ninja's ROMs... I have been studying a few and think I may try his newest in the near future. :(
_______

In other news I have downloaded both beta packs and the alpha pack. I have recreated the operating "landscape only" version with the alpha image. I only have the main files in 'My Storage', [haret ,default ,image ,and initrt.cpio.gz]. Didn't figure I needed that other o2beta directory. Seems to work but VERY slow and glitchy as posted before.

What has anyone been able to get working on the beta side if any?

Hope I can help

xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Interests:Women, Linux, Computing - In that Order.
  • Devices:Razr Maxx
  • Twitter:@xlightwaverx

I did try that Leopard one...... almost bricked it then.

:( ... :(

I suggest one of the later models my friend. We have come a little ways since "the leopard."

X

GTalk/Email: xlightwaverx[@]gmail.com | Android Development | CrackFlasher Downloads
Posted Image

nickmo20

nickmo20

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

:( ... :(

I suggest one of the later models my friend. We have come a little ways since "the leopard."

X

Really?! My 4" limestone slab with chisel & stone won't cut it? that's a caveman's PDA. What's sad is the technology they'll have 10 years down the road will make what we have now look like Windows 3.1!

Alright, back on topic: I've not got beta 2 working, but I feel I'm getting closer... I think I'll just wait.

nickmo20

nickmo20

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
Well, my question is: Why won't our phones boot with zImage, and only Image? What's the difference (besides the title) that makes it incompatible? I haven't run Ubuntu since my last PC nor do i have the SDK's to investigate... Thanks

elbee72

elbee72

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Well, my question is: Why won't our phones boot with zImage, and only Image? What's the difference (besides the title) that makes it incompatible? I haven't run Ubuntu since my last PC nor do i have the SDK's to investigate... Thanks

zImage is compressed and Image is not compressed.
Don't know why i920 needs uncompressed kernel and i8000 and b7610 can do with compressed ones ...

For info about Android port to I8000 Omnia 2 (like) winmo phones you can visit http://code.google.com/p/omnia2droid/

nickmo20

nickmo20

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

zImage is compressed and Image is not compressed.
Don't know why i920 needs uncompressed kernel and i8000 and b7610 can do with compressed ones ...

Can someone take the latest zImage from March 9 2011 and uncompress it??? that's basically all it'd take to get it to work! As of right now I'm not too worried about drivers and such.. just want to be able to show it off!

W_Jester3

W_Jester3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Can someone take the latest zImage from March 9 2011 and uncompress it???

OMG.... OMG.... ;) That would be so friggin' COOL! :(

.. just want to be able to show it off! ;)

Yeah.... Me too. I second that!

p.s. Oh Yeah, Also if someone can send me a copy of those files or a link... I'll play with 'em a bit and try to make something happen. :)

Forgot to mention my PC, (which has everything on it....), Died. Working off the laptop till i get my new MOBO. Eh... I needed an upgrade. :(

Edited by W_Jester3, 12 March 2011 - 01:32 AM.

elbee72

elbee72

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Can someone take the latest zImage from March 9 2011 and uncompress it??? that's basically all it'd take to get it to work! As of right now I'm not too worried about drivers and such.. just want to be able to show it off!

I think zImage cant be uncompressed to Image, if you want it bad, you have to compile the kernel and use the uncompressed image.
But with alpha rootfs and beta kernel you get a nonworking touchscreen.

I doubt if you adapt beta rootfs to run with new kernel you get anything more (besides risk of driving wrong busses and messing with hardware in the wrong way).

I dont have the sources of the alpha kernel, so I cant put the old driver in the new beta ...
So better to wait for Almar or other dev to fix the touchscreen (and some other diffs like uart addresses).

W_Jester3

W_Jester3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

...So better to wait for Almar or other dev to fix the touchscreen (and some other diffs like uart addresses).

Oddly enough, I believe the first time I installed the beta I got an alignment screen and it was picking up touch. I dont think I have seen it work to well since. But I can still switch screens ....And take out the battery!

elbee72

elbee72

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Oddly enough, I believe the first time I installed the beta I got an alignment screen and it was picking up touch. I dont think I have seen it work to well since. But I can still switch screens ....And take out the battery!

what setup did you use? fresh compiled uncompressed kernel (rev?) with latest beta2 rootfs image base? with 2d/3d update/files?

elbee72

elbee72

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
I patched beta2 for i920, but it is untested (I don't own a i920).
Who likes to test it and give some reports? It is experimental so can hurt/brick your phone ... own risk ...

To install:
- download http://omnia2droid.g...beta2.part1.rar
- download http://omnia2droid.g...beta2.part2.rar
- get 2D/3D drivers from http://www.modaco.co...e-omnia-2-info/
- unrar and copy files to /My Storage/ on i920
- copy o2b2update.tar.gz with 2D/3D drivers to /My Storage/ on i920
- make sure you have a uSD card with FAT and at least 2GB free space
- run /My Storage/beta/haret.exe and press RUN
- after install phone reboots automatic (read last messages on screen before boot)
- run /My Storage/haret.exe and press RUN
- it should boot Android for the first time and present GUI

the sandman

the sandman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia i920

- run /My Storage/beta/haret.exe and press RUN
- after install phone reboots automatic (read last messages on screen before boot)

Thank you for patch, but unfortunately it did not work (for me)

At this part of the installation, after it installed, I got a message that said "....Done, Rebooting now...." and then I got a kernel panic and it rebooted in 30 seconds. And when it rebooted I tried running /My Storage/haret.exe and it gets stuck at "Jumping to kernel..."

Samsung Omnia II i920

elbee72

elbee72

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Thank you for patch, but unfortunately it did not work (for me)

At this part of the installation, after it installed, I got a message that said "....Done, Rebooting now...." and then I got a kernel panic and it rebooted in 30 seconds. And when it rebooted I tried running /My Storage/haret.exe and it gets stuck at "Jumping to kernel..."

Thanks for trying Sandman!

Could you run /My Storage/haret.exe again (no worries about the ext2 on micro SD, its get detected and installs into that again) but leave the phone connected to windows through usb? I am curious if the phone is detected by windows as an unkown device during install and/or bootup, or not at all. Adb working on usb would make debugging a lot easier.

Could you also make a picture of the screen before it boots after install, and when hanging on "Jumping to kernel"?

Maybe we can find a solution to make it boot correctly ...

bf71090

bf71090

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks for trying Sandman!

Could you run /My Storage/haret.exe again (no worries about the ext2 on micro SD, its get detected and installs into that again) but leave the phone connected to windows through usb? I am curious if the phone is detected by windows as an unkown device during install and/or bootup, or not at all. Adb working on usb would make debugging a lot easier.

Could you also make a picture of the screen before it boots after install, and when hanging on "Jumping to kernel"?

Maybe we can find a solution to make it boot correctly ...

Thanks for caring about us elbee. Ill try it out when I get home and see if i can help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users