GPS Navigation on the Vega

Guest trevor432990

Guest trevor432990

I've decided to start this thread as several people have been trying to use the Google Navigate, Car Home & Maps applications by using the combination of the 'Bluetooth GPS Provider' app and the Wayfinder Mobile Bluetooth GPS Receiver on sale eBay at the astounding value price of £6.95 (including P&P).

A few of us have tried and tested this configuration successfully and below are some instructions for people to follow in order to do this yourselves.

OK here goes a step-by-step guide (version 2.0) to setting up GPS on the Vega with your £6.95 GPS device

1. Go to Market and download/install the 'Bluetooth GPS Provider' app by mobile-j.de which is FREE

2. In Vega settings go to SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > DEVELOPMENT > ALLOW MOCK LOCATIONS and tick it

3. Go to SETTINGS > WIRELESS NETWORKS > BLUETOOTH and switch it on by ticking

Go to SETTINGS > LOCATION & SECURITY > USE WIRELESS NETWORKS and switch on by ticking

4. Click on Bluetooth GPS Provider icon in app tray to launch it

5. In BT GPS click on menu and select preferences then set these

6. Force tick

7. Switch Bluetooth tick

8. Raw HDOP tick

9. GPS Type set to OTHER

10. SIRF settings should be set to SWITCH TO NMEA

11. Turn on GPS Wayfinder hardware and position until the Left Green Arrow light is Solid and Right Blue Arrow light is flashing (will turn solid when connected to Vega)

P.S. You will need to pair this device with the Vega initially before you do this. It should show as 'BT GPS V10 Paired but not connected' on BT device list

12. Go to BT GPS app initial screen and select START

At this point the screen should blank and pop-up a message saying gathering GPS data (or words to that effect) and you may notice two icons appear on the Vega notification bar 1) a blue arrow showing Navigator is loaded 2) a blue radio signal showing BT GPS is running. After that a dimmed display will appear with the following options NAVIGATE, PHONE, VOICE SEARCH, CONTACTS, MUSIC, EXIT CAR MODE.

Select NAVIGATE and test it by typing a destination postcode some distance from your own and a pop-up saying 'Getting navigation instructions' will appear and shortly after the screen will display a map or satellite image of your current location with indicators showing which direction to travel.

Click on 'Then' button and thereafter the Right Arrow button on the apps notification bar to follow the route it's found.

You should now be in business !!! Why not watch the video of this working for real.

Let me know if that all works for you? :lol:

If you should get a message saying 'GPS is Disabled' at any point please go to post number 78 in this topic for a solution.

Note: I shall edit the above instructions if any errors come to light and change the version number as I do so

Edited by trevor432990

Guest trevor432990

Post raised by QLF previously as follows:-

As soon as I press "NAVIGATE" on the car home screen, it displays an error "GPS is disabled. Show Location settings? [OK]. All i can do is go back to Car Home Screen, or click OK which takes me to the "Location and security settings" menu, which doesn't allow me to turn GPS on, (even thoughBT GPS Provider IS tracking 7 satellites, AND I can get Current location to work in Maps.

This is where i've been stuck for the last 10 days - lol. (I guess i'm not the sharpest tool in the box!)

Just wondering if there's another setting somewhere that i've messed up previously, but think this could take a while to figure out sad.gif

Guest trevor432990

@QLF

Have just noticed there are several 'Bluetooth GPS' apps on the Market so can you confirm that you are running the one called 'Bluetooth GPS Provider' by mobile-j.de please? If not then uninstall the one you have and install this version

otherwise

in BT GPS Provider app - Can you check in settings you have 'Autostop' unticked

in Car Home app - Go to settings (reached by right arrow icon on first screen) click on 'Bluetooth starts Car Home' and ensure 'Timeout' is set to NEVER and 'Start Car Home on connect with' has BT GPS V10 ticked.

Edited by trevor432990

Thanks trevor432990 - I had this working but using a different BT-GPS connector. The one described above is easier to use as it allows an on / off widget that also enables BT (if so desired).

Thanks trevor432990 - I had this working but using a different BT-GPS connector. The one described above is easier to use as it allows an on / off widget that also enables BT (if so desired).

I've tried ALL the Bluetooth GPS Connectors, and they all work equally well. I have my fav's, but currently testing with Bluetooth GPS PRovider until i get it working.

Just noticed people who have this working seem to be on PP r4, I was on r6, so going to reinstall Vega ROM v1.06 and go for PP r4. Will report back as soon as i've tried this. Fingers crossed.....

*EDIT* - Worked first time with Brand New Install of Vega ROM 1.06.05 and Power Pack r4.

Now going to upgrade to PP R5 and test.....then r6

*EDIT 2* - Works with PPr5...........

*EDIT 3* - Works with PPr6. Seems a clean install of the full Vega ROM was required. I guess it doesn't matter which version of the Performance Pack you use - any problems I recommend a full reinstall of the Vega Rom 1.06.05. The MoDaCo Custom Rom addon I installed was r6 with every option installed, (Performance pack, recovery, USB Mode Switcher, Small Notification Bar, AND all the non-pro apps in the section fo the online kitchen above the Expert Options).

I'm a bit worried about trying the latest Vega ROM, (1.08) with the r6 MoDaCo addon / PP, as reports currewntly vary as to whether it works or not. Likewise for the MoDaCo custom Kernal, as visual glitches aren't really something i want on my system.

Would be great if someone who has taken the plunge for either of these options could test and report their progress back to the rest of us.

Thanks to all for your suggestions (and patience) for helping me get this up and running ;)

Edited by QLF

Guest PeteGraham
I've tried ALL the Bluetooth GPS Connectors, and they all work equally well. I have my fav's, but currently testing with Bluetooth GPS PRovider until i get it working.

Just noticed people who have this working seem to be on PP r4, I was on r6, so going to reinstall Vega ROM v1.06 and go for PP r4. Will report back as soon as i've tried this. Fingers crossed.....

*EDIT* - Worked first time with Brand New Install of Vega ROM 1.06.05 and Power Pack r4.

Now going to upgrade to PP R5 and test.....then r6

*EDIT 2* - Works with PPr5...........

*EDIT 3* - Works with PPr6. Seems a clean install of the full Vega ROM was required. I guess it doesn't matter which version of the Performance Pack you use - any problems I recommend a full reinstall of the Vega Rom 1.06.05. The MoDaCo Custom Rom addon I installed was r6 with every option installed, (Performance pack, recovery, USB Mode Switcher, Small Notification Bar, AND all the non-pro apps in the section fo the online kitchen above the Expert Options).

I'm a bit worried about trying the latest Vega ROM, (1.08) with the r6 MoDaCo addon / PP, as reports currewntly vary as to whether it works or not. Likewise for the MoDaCo custom Kernal, as visual glitches aren't really something i want on my system.

Would be great if someone who has taken the plunge for either of these options could test and report their progress back to the rest of us.

Thanks to all for your suggestions (and patience) for helping me get this up and running ;)

Running Higgsy 1.08 with non pp modaco custom pack and modaco custom kernel. I have only just booted up fully, gps settings disabled in settings menu. Loaded gps provider, set mock locations and paired gps device. Works fine in maps but as with all other versions of the rom the gps ability being disabled will not allow nav to work.

Should add that no matter which rom and pp used gps just wont work in nav, due to the required back end stuff not being installed as it is an unlicensed device.

There is no way a noob such as myself would call bull on anyone saying they have this working ;) but I would love to see pics of it running and pics of the settings screen too if possible? Shootme might work on the vega. Not tried yet.

Guest trevor432990

@QLF

Glad to hear you are up and running with 'BT GPS Provider' I hadn't realised you'd tried all the others ;) Anyway the report of your experiences was very interesting and I too won't be moving off v1.06 r4 until I hear the glitches in v1.08 have been removed as I've just been helping someone whose Vega failed to root correctly.

Can I echo the QLF's request that any brave person who has upgraded and has a BT GPS set-up like ours advise us if it works or else we might have to find out the hard way ;)

Edited by trevor432990

Guest trevor432990

Maybe we need to reach a consensus about what we mean by 'Navigate is working'. As far I'm concerned if I can press on the Navigate button on the 'Car Home' app menu and be given a route map from my home to a location 50 miles away which I can then follow (without actually driving there) then this proves Navigate is working. The only missing link being if I was in a vehicle the new maps or satellite images would need to be downloaded to the Vega through an internet connection by tethered phone. Am I right?

If I am then I can certainly produce a video of my Vega performing the navigation as described. ;)

Maybe we need to reach a consensus about what we mean by 'Navigate is working'. As far I'm concerned if I can press on the Navigate button on the 'Car Home' app menu and be given a route map from my home to a location 50 miles away which I can then follow (without actually driving there) then this proves Navigate is working. The only missing link being if I was in a vehicle the new maps or satellite images would need to be downloaded to the Vega through an internet connection by tethered phone. Am I right?

If I am then I can certainly produce a video of my Vega performing the navigation as described. ;)

If you're using Google Maps Navigation, then as long as you use Wifi to connect and setup your route, it's supposed to pre-cache the maps required for that journey.

Haven't tried this yet, but will be doing so next time i have a long drive. Obviously the extra features such as "Find nearby", "traffic", and re-routing etc are going to require tethered net access via your phone / mifi etc, but the map to get you there and directions should be grand, (assuming you setup before leaving the house).

*EDIT* I WOULD count the fact that it starts navigating as "Working", regardless of you actually moving. This is the stage i couldn't get past before, and have now, so i'd say that's good enough ;)

Edited by QLF

Running Higgsy 1.08 with non pp modaco custom pack and modaco custom kernel. I have only just booted up fully, gps settings disabled in settings menu. Loaded gps provider, set mock locations and paired gps device. Works fine in maps but as with all other versions of the rom the gps ability being disabled will not allow nav to work.

Should add that no matter which rom and pp used gps just wont work in nav, due to the required back end stuff not being installed as it is an unlicensed device.

There is no way a noob such as myself would call bull on anyone saying they have this working ;) but I would love to see pics of it running and pics of the settings screen too if possible? Shootme might work on the vega. Not tried yet.

No screen cap app available at the minute, but happy to grab a free one from the marketplace if you can recommend. Def working on Vega ROM 1.06.05 coupled with FULLY LOADED MoDaCo rom addon r6. Just adding all my apps etc back on now, so hopefully none of these break it, as I couldn't get it working before this clean install.

Guest trevor432990
No screen cap app available at the minute, but happy to grab a free one from the marketplace if you can recommend. Def working on Vega ROM 1.06.05 coupled with FULLY LOADED MoDaCo rom addon r6. Just adding all my apps etc back on now, so hopefully none of these break it, as I couldn't get it working before this clean install.

Thanks QLF if you are going to do a screen capture I won't bother with my video ;) Pete if you are still sceptical you might wish to read this post which first aroused my interest in the subject. I daresay there are a few wrinkles still to be sorted out but that's the reason I started this thread so we can help each other.

Guest PeteGraham
Thanks QLF if you are going to do a screen capture I won't bother with my video ;) Pete if you are still sceptical you might wish to read this post which first aroused my interest in the subject. I daresay there are a few wrinkles still to be sorted out but that's the reason I started this thread so we can help each other.

Hi trev,

Like the idea that it could work, seen plenty of progress with gps and gmaps working but as with this and other tablet devices which run unlicensed there just doesn't seem to be an option for getting into nav and bypassing that damn gps settings thing. I've seen tons of posts on the various internetz all of which refer to getting rid of the message. It is a real shame cos my vega starts the nav just fine - I just can't see sod all!

Like i said before there is no way I would call bull. Mainly cos I am dying to get this working. I have the Xperia X10 which isn't great but with a clean rom at least it is quick. Barnacle works fine for the wireless tether, which makes me happy when out and about and gps sharing is fine over bluetooth to my generic 'batman' logo'd gps unit. It's just that bloody nav! Tried other navapps too which allowed external gps but either failed on hardware acceleration or gps pairing wouldn't work.

Read that thread, cheers for the pointer, judt didn't see anything relating to getting that message off. I would flash back to 1.6 again but I prefer the additional features of 1.8.

Fully intend to keep an eye on here tho - more than happy to donate time and my vega into getting this sorted and a proper noob guide in place if it ever gets sorted. Community like this is the only real way to progress devices and technology.

Hi trev,

Like the idea that it could work, seen plenty of progress with gps and gmaps working but as with this and other tablet devices which run unlicensed there just doesn't seem to be an option for getting into nav and bypassing that damn gps settings thing. I've seen tons of posts on the various internetz all of which refer to getting rid of the message. It is a real shame cos my vega starts the nav just fine - I just can't see sod all!

Like i said before there is no way I would call bull. Mainly cos I am dying to get this working. I have the Xperia X10 which isn't great but with a clean rom at least it is quick. Barnacle works fine for the wireless tether, which makes me happy when out and about and gps sharing is fine over bluetooth to my generic 'batman' logo'd gps unit. It's just that bloody nav! Tried other navapps too which allowed external gps but either failed on hardware acceleration or gps pairing wouldn't work.

Read that thread, cheers for the pointer, judt didn't see anything relating to getting that message off. I would flash back to 1.6 again but I prefer the additional features of 1.8.

Fully intend to keep an eye on here tho - more than happy to donate time and my vega into getting this sorted and a proper noob guide in place if it ever gets sorted. Community like this is the only real way to progress devices and technology.

Exactly the same error I was getting. Don't get me wrong, I have NO IDEA why, but a clean install of the Vega ROM v1.06.05 and then FULLY LOADED MoDaCo custom rom addon r6 over the top of that has fixed my issue.

It was the most annoying thing in the world for over 3 weeks after receiving the BT dongle from ebay, but the clean install fixed it. Hopefully someone with more Android smarts than me can explain why, but it DOES work. If you don't believe me, backup and try it yourself. You won't be sorry!

Sadly there won't be any screenshots at the moment. Downloaded the Android SDK to try, but it doesn't recognise the adb I have installed, and already reinstalled it 6 times today lol. Poss someone else can provide, or I'll have another crack tomorrow.

Have faith PeteGraham! It works, and it works well!! ;)

K, don't install shoot me or drocap. One of them has caused black screen on mine. Damn, just finished getting it to how I wanted it

seems all the screencap apps in the marketplace DO NOT WORK! tried to follow instructions on this forum for SDK screencap, but can't get it working. Sorry - hopefully someone else can get it to work....

Guest PeteGraham
Exactly the same error I was getting. Don't get me wrong, I have NO IDEA why, but a clean install of the Vega ROM v1.06.05 and then FULLY LOADED MoDaCo custom rom addon r6 over the top of that has fixed my issue.

It was the most annoying thing in the world for over 3 weeks after receiving the BT dongle from ebay, but the clean install fixed it. Hopefully someone with more Android smarts than me can explain why, but it DOES work. If you don't believe me, backup and try it yourself. You won't be sorry!

Sadly there won't be any screenshots at the moment. Downloaded the Android SDK to try, but it doesn't recognise the adb I have installed, and already reinstalled it 6 times today lol. Poss someone else can provide, or I'll have another crack tomorrow.

Have faith PeteGraham! It works, and it works well!! ;)

My shiny new brick has convinced me to flash back to your version. I'll be back in a bit. Damn, my comparatively huge 4 inch screen on the x10 seems so tiny now... ;)

Guest trevor432990
seems all the screencap apps in the marketplace DO NOT WORK! tried to follow instructions on this forum for SDK screencap, but can't get it working. Sorry - hopefully someone else can get it to work....

No probs I shall revert to plan a) and do a video tomorrow sometime and post a link but it is really cool to see it working isn't it QLF ? ;)

My shiny new brick has convinced me to flash back to your version. I'll be back in a bit. Damn, my comparatively huge 4 inch screen on the x10 seems so tiny now... ;)

lol - good call. I'm thinking that until they iron the kinks outa 1.08 or MoDaCo custom kernal v1 then i'm stayting where i am. Everything I need works great. There are a few things i'd like on top, (CIFS / Battery support), but not enough to lose Navigation / stability.

Fingers crossed for the next update from Paul - Things seem to be gathering speed now the kernal has been released by advent ;)

No probs I shall revert to plan a) and do a video tomorrow sometime and post a link but it is really cool to see it working isn't it QLF ? ;)

lol - BIGTIME! was sooooo pissed when everyone else had it working and I couldn't. Would love to find out the reason why it kept taking me to a non-existent GPS settings menu, but i guess i shouldn't complain now it's working!! ;)

Guest PeteGraham
lol - BIGTIME! was sooooo pissed when everyone else had it working and I couldn't. Would love to find out the reason why it kept taking me to a non-existent GPS settings menu, but i guess i shouldn't complain now it's working!! ;)

To bastardise a paraphrasing:

Then I heard her voice, now I'm a believer....

Guys, no idea what is different but boom, now I can nav!

Advent image 1.6.05

Modaco custom pack r6

Clockwork mod

Modaco kernel update

No gps thing in the location menu now.

Generic gps receiver

bluetooth gps provider free

tethered to x10

installed voice synth as requested by nav

Splendid. Thank you all.

To bastardise a paraphrasing:

Then I heard her voice, now I'm a believer....

Guys, no idea what is different but boom, now I can nav!

Advent image 1.6.05

Modaco custom pack r6

Clockwork mod

Modaco kernel update

No gps thing in the location menu now.

Generic gps receiver

bluetooth gps provider free

tethered to x10

installed voice synth as requested by nav

Splendid. Thank you all.

Glad to hear it!!

Did you install the kernal update after the rest of the MoDaCo updates? Just wondering if it's worth it..... A lot of people have been telling tales of negative consequences, so not sure if i should go for it yet or not......

Guest TonyOne

I have an old bluetooth gps had it 3 or 4 years. Seems to work as my position is correct, however i appear to lose my net connection.

Still shows thats i am connected to my router, but no new maps, email or any browsing possible.

Uninstalled the driver a d reset, browser working again, any advice please. I am using r6

Guest trevor432990
I have an old bluetooth gps had it 3 or 4 years. Seems to work as my position is correct, however i appear to lose my net connection.

Still shows thats i am connected to my router, but no new maps, email or any browsing possible.

Uninstalled the driver a d reset, browser working again, any advice please. I am using r6

Tony what's the make/model of the GPS so we can check it out? What loses the net connection as the GPS wouldn't need it. More info please ;)

Guest TonyOne
Tony what's the make/model of the GPS so we can check it out? What loses the net connection as the GPS wouldn't need it. More info please ;)

I reinstalled, it appears to be working now.. it is not a branded gps, cost me £45 when i bought it. Used with tom tom 5 on zodiac and treo 680.

Is therea way to get the maps on the sd card

Regards

Tony