Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

The very eagerly awaited Advent Vega kernel source is now available! :lol:

I'm pleased to say that i've been working with DSG to help release the source ready for developers to work with straight away and with that in mind, the kernel source is available to download now from my GitHub.

You'll find two versions available - the standard one (which I have successfully compiled on Linux and deployed to my Vega) and a version for compilation on OSX (also successfully compiled and deployed). I've built my boot images using the mkbootimg arguments '--base 0x10000000 --pagesize 2048'. The Vega boot image ramdisk is also on my GitHub.

Let the fun begin! :)

P

Guest martinbrook

Hi Paul,

Nice one.

thanks

I'm pleased to say that i've been working with DSG to help release the source ready for developers to work with straight away and with that in mind, the kernel source is available to download now from my GitHub.

You'll find two versions available - the standard one (which I have successfully compiled on Linux and deployed to my Vega) and a version for compilation on OSX (also successfully compiled and deployed). I've built my boot images using the mkbootimg arguments '--base 0x10000000 --pagesize 2048'. The Vega boot image ramdisk is also on my GitHub.

P

Nice work, thanks for your continued efforts for the better of all users.

A nice little comment on their site too:

"This links to the Kernel source for Advent Vega - Kindly hosted by Paul over at MoDaCo.com - The premier enthusiast site for Android and Windows Mobile devices"

Amen to that :lol:

Guest gingercat
Right, apologies if being a little dim here. What will the practical upshot of this bbe? Custom roms with gingerbread. And honeycomb components?

A few posts down in the forum reveals info here

Edited by gingercat

Guest rvdgeer
Right, apologies if being a little dim here. What will the practical upshot of this bbe? Custom roms with gingerbread. And honeycomb components?

There is an entire topic on this exact question...

Maybe there's an answer in there too...

:lol:

Guest martinbrook

Hi Paul,

Will this git repo be used by the OEM for any updates?

vgrade

P

Guest SilentMobius

Thanks for all your hard work Paul.

Do we know which touch screen driver is being used yet? I can see:

CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_EGALAX=y

CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_IT7260=y

CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_USB_COMPOSITE=y

CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_USB_EGALAX=y

CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_USB_PANJIT=y

CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_USB_JASTEC=y

CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_USB_E2I=y

Configured in the kernel but I don't have lsusb or lspci to check what's available on the vega. I'm hoping something can be done to prevent "sticky" touch points, but the first think I'd like to do is start logging something (well I'd like to compile my own kernel first, after that I'll make changes ;) )

I only see EGALAX code in the source and I see a .old in there as well maybe that's it.

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest azareus22

Hello

I need clean kernel source code, not modified source from git...

If the kernel source is GPL, I do not understand why is hosted on a external git from Advent, which has been modified.

Thanks

The very eagerly awaited Advent Vega kernel source is now available! ;)

Let the fun begin! ;)

P

Hello

If the kernel source is GPL, I do not understand why is hosted on a external git from Advent, which has been modified.

Thanks

If you can't undo the change listed in the "USB connectivity / suspend fix (patch_for_DIX)" commit yourself, then I don't think the kernel source is going to be much use to you...

Guest martinbrook

Hi Guys,

Has anyone got a .config file from the Mobii which has USB host enabled? OK sorted now.

vgrade

If you can't undo the change listed in the "USB connectivity / suspend fix (patch_for_DIX)" commit yourself, then I don't think the kernel source is going to be much use to you...
Edited by martinbrook

Guest azareus22

I work with svn and git and I know how to do reverts, but it is not normal to have to reverse the changes to have the original source code, this has a name... fork ;) .

Hi Guys,

Has anyone got a .config file from the Mobii which has USB host enabled? OK sorted now.

vgrade

In https://github.com/paulobrien/android_kerne...dm_query.c#L718 Usb2Property is asigned with NvOdmUsbModeType_Host.

In https://github.com/paulobrien/android_kerne...dm_query.h#L967 it defines NvOdmUsbModeType_Host and NvOdmUsbModeType_Device

Changing Usb2Property or Usb3Property is probable that we can change host to slave. I think that Usb2Property is the USB controller for touchscreen eGalax and camera.

Edited by azareus22

Hello

Thanks

I'm kinda confused.

Download the initial commit and that's what I guess you are calling 'clean source'. As an expert on GIT / SVN you are well aware that uploading the source doesn't change it. That's what was supplied originally from the manufacturers.

However, what was originally supplied from the manufacturers didn't work properly on the Vega, hence the patches, which are clearly labelled additional commits.

The reason i'm confused is that doing things this way you have all the benefits of the normal '.tar.gz' distribution (it's clean and unmodified), but with the added benefit of having fixes to make the thing actually work on our devices.

If you want me to supply you the original tar.gz I can do that (in fact, you can get the initial commit directly from github in tar.gz format here), but it's IDENTICAL to the initial commit (as I said) for obvious reasons.

Care to explain a bit more clearly what you want exactly?

Cheers!

P

Guest azareus22
I'm kinda confused.

Download the initial commit and that's what I guess you are calling 'clean source'. As an expert on GIT / SVN you are well aware that uploading the source doesn't change it. That's what was supplied originally from the manufacturers.

However, what was originally supplied from the manufacturers didn't work properly on the Vega, hence the patches, which are clearly labelled additional commits.

The reason i'm confused is that doing things this way you have all the benefits of the normal '.tar.gz' distribution (it's clean and unmodified), but with the added benefit of having fixes to make the thing actually work on our devices.

If you want me to supply you the original tar.gz I can do that (in fact, you can get the initial commit directly from github in tar.gz format here), but it's IDENTICAL to the initial commit (as I said) for obvious reasons.

Care to explain a bit more clearly what you want exactly?

Cheers!

P

Hello Paul

My question was basically, if you apply patches to your advent git, Do these patches will be yours or only the Advent has given you? How do we differentiate? this is what confuses me.

On the other hand, if Advent can to place directly the code in their website, I guess if you and Advent have reached any agreement about source code?.

Thanks

Guest SilentMobius
Hello Paul

My question was basically, if you apply patches to your advent git, Do these patches will be yours or only the Advent has given you? How do we differentiate? this is what confuses me.

On the other hand, if Advent can to place directly the code in their website, I guess if you and Advent have reached any agreement about source code?.

Thanks

Just so you know, your English is terrible and thus what you're asking is _still_ not clear.

Advent gave Paul a tar.gz of the kernel source.

Paul created a git repo for us to use (thanks Paul)

Paul has continued to work on _his_ repo adding some fixes and other useful stuff.

Advent are unlikely to give us _anything_ else at this stage (They are an OEM, and most likely do none of the development work)

Hello Paul

Thanks

I'll fork it (well, probably create a new branch) for my own changes. Simples. What you see on master is the Advent release. What you see on the OSX branch is the Advent release modified to compile on OSX. There'll be a MCK branch in due course.

P

Guest azareus22
Just so you know, your English is terrible and thus what you're asking is _still_ not clear.

Advent gave Paul a tar.gz of the kernel source.

Paul created a git repo for us to use (thanks Paul)

Paul has continued to work on _his_ repo adding some fixes and other useful stuff.

Advent are unlikely to give us _anything_ else at this stage (They are an OEM, and most likely do none of the development work)

If you prefer we can speak Spanish or another language you do not practice ;) . I just try to adapt to the language spoken in the forum.

Paul, thanks for your reply.

If you prefer we can speak Spanish or another language you do not practice ;) . I just try to adapt to the language spoken in the forum.

Paul, thanks for your reply.

Azareus22 - I wouldn't worry about your English. I work in export and deal with over 30 languages...your english is actually better than good enough. I don't understand the technical stuff here, but I could as I think Paul could grasp what you were trying to say.

Guest craskman

Hi Paul,

I was giving a spin on the kernel. I'm on macosx (like you i believe).

My setup is pretty much as described on cyanogen "build from source" for mac.

So I believe I have everything I need (cross compiler, etc)

I have cloned the kernel from your git (osx) and now i am trying to compiled it. For now I am using the .config you have there.

I am using the following line:

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=$CCOMPILER -j2

My $CCOMPILER is set on my profile file:

export CCOMPILER=/Volumes/CyanogenModWorkspace/android/system/prebuilt/darwin-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/arm-eabi-

The compilation starts ok in the beginning but then I got the following:

scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig.c:4:17: error: elf.h: No such file or directory

scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig.c: In function ‘main’:

scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig.c:9: error: ‘EI_NIDENT’ undeclared

Do you have any tips (you have done) to compile on macosx?

Thanks,

CrK

Guest craskman

Paul,.. I was digging around and found the reason.

I found a modified elf.h for cross compiling on macosx targeting linux. This might help others.

http://ben-collins.blogspot.com/2010/07/cr...l-from-mac.html

Now it is running/compiling (no error so far but still in the middle of it).

Still, would be interesting to know your (or other) tricks you have made, most likely I am still missing some.

Thanks again,

CrK

Guest craskman

Hi again,

I have finished everything,.. but no joy (black screen with backlight on).

So, I have compiled the kernel and get the zImage from there. Then I get from your git the ramdisk and did the following:

mkbootfs ./vega-ramdisk | gzip > ramdisk-vega.gz

mkbootimg --kernel zImage --ramdisk ramdisk-vega.gz -o boot-vega.img --cmdline '--base 0x10000000 --pagesize 2048'

Then I did the typical:

adb push boot-vega.img /data/local/

adb shell /data/local/flash_image boot /data/local/boot-vega.img

And,... black screen,.. doesn't boot.

Any help or clue of what I have missed would be really appreciated.

Thanks (whatta saturday night ;) gonna sleep )

CrK