01/Feb r2 refresh - MoDaCo Custom Kernel for the Advent Vega

Guest PaulOBrien

Now that the kernel source is live (see here), I thought i'd start playing with custom kernels... so here's MCK r1!

It is the boot image and flash_image binary in a zip (extract, push to your device, then do './flash_image boot boot.img') - it's a first-shot, i'll include in MCR going forward to make things easier. :lol:

Features include...

• Uses the ondemand governor as default instead of performance - this will HUGELY improve battery life with no noticeable performance loss
  • Optional interactive scheduler
  • TUN support
  • CIFS support
  • NFS support
  • FUSE support
  • EXT4 support

• r2 refresh DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: e08101929e4f406941bc06f8117dbf7a
    • Enjoy!

P

[*]Uses the ondemand governor as default instead of performance - this will HUGELY improve battery life with no noticeable performance loss

This, does this mean that it will increase performance without battery loss, or increase battery without performance loss? Thanks a LOT for this Paul! Fast work!

Guest zzleezz

This is a great day, Murray in the final and not only kernel source released but Paul directly involved in the process! No wonder he has been keeping quiet on the subject :)

Very excited to see what comes from the next few days/weeks/months.

Off to backup, download and tinker :lol:

Excuse my lack of knowlege and understanding of english

It is the boot image and flash_image binary in a zip (extract, push to your device, then do './flash_image boot boot.img') - it's a first-shot, i'll include in MCR going forward to make things easier. :lol:

is this suposed to be done with the Clockwork mod?

I'm on 1.06, I'm suposed to upgrade first to 1.08, install clockwork and, in recovery, flash this somehow?

If someone could make a noobs installing guide would be really apreciated...

Guest MonkeyBoy451
Excuse my lack of knowlege and understanding of english

is this suposed to be done with the Clockwork mod?

I'm on 1.06, I'm suposed to upgrade first to 1.08, install clockwork and, in recovery, flash this somehow?

If someone could make a noobs installing guide would be really apreciated...

No - not with clockwork.

I just copied the 2 files into my android-sdk/tools folder that contains the adb.exe and ran the following from a cmd prompt:

adb push boot.img /data/local/

adb push flash_image /data/local/

adb shell chmod 4755 /data/local/flash_image

adb shell /data/local/flash_image boot /data/local/boot.img

Edit:

I should also say that my Vega is updated with the 1.0.8 firmware and running r6 MCR (without Performance Pack)

Edited by MonkeyBoy451

Guest Lennyuk
Just fixed the link. So I dunno what MonkeyBoy flashed but it wasn't r2!

P

actually I just flashed r2 as well I deleted "0nline" off the end of the link it gave me then it downloaded.

Guest deadite66

P

probably did the same as me, removed the offline part of the link and kept inputting answer to the capcha until it gave me a file.

Edited by deadite66

Guest Lennyuk

SetCpu force closes, so I installed "CPU Tuner" and its telling me I am on performance governor and not allowed to change it.

Edited by Lennyuk

Guest MonkeyBoy451

P

Yeah not sure what happened there - just re-flashed stock 1.0.8 and then the r2 MCK and it appears to be ok now - Wifi is working fine.

Now to add MCR r6 back to it along with CWM and make a nandroid backup!

Thanks Paul. ;)

Edit 1: Quadrant 1.15 score is: 2370 - thats on stock 1.0.8 + r2 MCK

Edit 2: Quadrant 1.15 score is: 2281 - thats on 1.0.8 + r2 MCK + r6 MCR (without PP)

Edited by MonkeyBoy451

Should work on 1.06.5 too I think? Not sure tho.

P

OK thanks ;) I would prefer to stay on 1.06.5 for now as I've heard stories of lag etc with 1.08 (quadrant seems to get good scores, but actual in-use speed isn't great apparently). I will probably move to 1.08 once you release a performance pack geared specifically for it ;)

Edited by newbe5