If you have been using a Samsung Omnia Pro or Omnia II for a while, you know what a pain in the *** is the Samsung's SMS/MMS application, also known as jinbox. This application is dead slow and takes huge amount of memory if left running. Almost 99% of the people I have seen want to get rid of it somehow.
In the past, some developers, including me, have released various fixes for this problem. For example, my Omnia Messaging Switcher application, which lets you switch between the native SMS system as well as Samsung messaging system. But all these utilities fail at one thing or another. You have to choose between either having faster, native SMS app and loosing MMS capability or keep both SMS and MMS functionality and take the pain of using that monstrous app.
Now here is a solution to all of your problems!
This small cab will install following fixes on your phone :
1. Your messaging application will be switched to Native Windows Application. The "Message" shortcut will point to this, and there will be a separate shortcut named "Samsung Messaging" for accessing the Samsung sh*t if you still want to use it for some reason.
2. In the SMS account, on clicking New, you will get 2 options instead of one: SMS or MMS. On creating SMS, the default Windows Native SMS composer will open just the way you like it. On creating MMS, the Samsung composer will open, without loading the whole Samsung Messaging App. The MMS sent and received by you will be perfectly visible in Sent Items/Inbox and perfectly editable/viewable, even in the threaded messaging view.
3. The E-Mail shortcut's icon will change to a better looking one and if you are on default settings, tapping it will show the list of email accounts to choose from.
All in all, it will seems to work just like it should Let me know if you guys face any issues. Its working as it should on JC2/JE2 default and my custom roms, at least on my phone.
UPDATE: The version 2 of this cab is attached with this post now. This version basically contains two additional settings shared by our friend jrtancinco :
1. In SMS/MMS, the New menu now has two entries by names SMS and MMS instead of Text Message and MMS.
2. In the same menu, the order of these two items is SMS>MMS instead of MMS>Text Message.
Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj, 16 February 2011 - 10:26 PM.