Sumit's Omnia II/Pro Ultimate Samsung Messaging FIX :)

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

Hi Friends,

If you have been using a Samsung Omnia Pro or Omnia II for a while, you know what a pain in the *** is the Samsung's SMS/MMS application, also known as jinbox. This application is dead slow and takes huge amount of memory if left running. Almost 99% of the people I have seen want to get rid of it somehow.

In the past, some developers, including me, have released various fixes for this problem. For example, my Omnia Messaging Switcher application, which lets you switch between the native SMS system as well as Samsung messaging system. But all these utilities fail at one thing or another. You have to choose between either having faster, native SMS app and loosing MMS capability or keep both SMS and MMS functionality and take the pain of using that monstrous app.

Now here is a solution to all of your problems!

This small cab will install following fixes on your phone :

1. Your messaging application will be switched to Native Windows Application. The "Message" shortcut will point to this, and there will be a separate shortcut named "Samsung Messaging" for accessing the Samsung sh*t if you still want to use it for some reason.

2. In the SMS account, on clicking New, you will get 2 options instead of one: SMS or MMS. On creating SMS, the default Windows Native SMS composer will open just the way you like it. On creating MMS, the Samsung composer will open, without loading the whole Samsung Messaging App. The MMS sent and received by you will be perfectly visible in Sent Items/Inbox and perfectly editable/viewable, even in the threaded messaging view.

3. The E-Mail shortcut's icon will change to a better looking one and if you are on default settings, tapping it will show the list of email accounts to choose from.

All in all, it will seems to work just like it should ;) Let me know if you guys face any issues. Its working as it should on JC2/JE2 default and my custom roms, at least on my phone.

UPDATE: The version 2 of this cab is attached with this post now. This version basically contains two additional settings shared by our friend jrtancinco :

1. In SMS/MMS, the New menu now has two entries by names SMS and MMS instead of Text Message and MMS.

2. In the same menu, the order of these two items is SMS>MMS instead of MMS>Text Message.

Enjoy!

Sumit_Bhardwaj__s_Samsung_Messaging_Fix.cab

Sumit_Bhardwaj_Samsung_Messaging_FixV2.cab

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest ANILPHV

I have installed on top of 6.1 ROM and at first use, it didn't work. But after a simple restart, everything working just fine. Things seems to be really fast (though, 6.1 actually is much faster than 6.5 to begin with)

One suggestion though. Is it possible to have two menu entries, one for each SMS/MMS? With the current implementation, three clicks are required to open a blank new message and I hope you can reduce it to two clicks.

Thanks again!

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj
When reply on received message its take me to the samsung skinned app.Its that ok or not.

btw windows default sms app is much faster than samsung.

There is some issue with your phone's config as this app basically associates anything that is a "Text Message" with the default Windows Mobile dll, i.e htmlnote.dll. SO it should not happen at all, and that is how it is on my phone here.Try doing a hardreset and/or using a "not-so-customized" rom.

I have installed on top of 6.1 ROM and at first use, it didn't work. But after a simple restart, everything working just fine. Things seems to be really fast (though, 6.1 actually is much faster than 6.5 to begin with)

One suggestion though. Is it possible to have two menu entries, one for each SMS/MMS? With the current implementation, three clicks are required to open a blank new message and I hope you can reduce it to two clicks.

Thanks again!

No dear, that won't be possible. Actually I have taken some settings and a dll from arcsoft mms composer to accomplish this and this is how it works in that DLL.

Thanks Sumit

Once again u are the savior....

really nice app

worked at the first instance

You're most welcome buddy ;) BTW, how is it going these days at your new job?

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest Miedzio
[...]

You have to choose between either having faster, native SMS app and loosing MMS capability or keep both SMS and MMS functionality and take the pain of using that monstrous app.

But there is another way... It`s possible to have standard app with SMS/MMS capability.

Firstly:

Change the registry : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings\OEM\SMSInboxThreadingDisabled to "0".

Original value should be "1".

Change:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sofware\Microsoft\Inbox\MsgTypes\IPM\SMStext]

"DLL"="mms.dll"

to:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sofware\Microsoft\Inbox\MsgTypes\IPM\SMStext]

"DLL"="htmlnote.dll"

Now have to install ArcSoft Composer with MMS support. I have been using version 5.2.0.47 (it isn`t the newest one, but in this version you can put text/video/audio in one mms): Link

Then we need to add this key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\MsgType s\IPM\SMStext]

"Name"="SMS"

And of course we have to configure our operator settings in ArcSoft Composer.

After that we can send and receive SMS/MMS only with Arcsoft application, which for me is much better then Samsung application.

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

@Midezio hmm.. now thats a good direction. I will work on it. I think i can make these changes in my cab only.

The difference between your method and mine is that mine takes very little phone memory and you can use samsung's mms composer along with its autoconfiguration functionality. I think for mms composing, Samsung's composer is much better than arcsoft.

UPDATE : Hey Buddy, can you share the arcsoft cab you are using?? I need some registry settings and settingsdll.dll from it.

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest Miedzio
@Midezio hmm.. now thats a good direction. I will work on it. I think i can make these changes in my cab only.

The difference between your method and mine is that mine takes very little phone memory and you can use samsung's mms composer along with its autoconfiguration functionality. I think for mms composing, Samsung's composer is much better than arcsoft.

Ok. I don`t like Samsung application. I have clean WM 6.1 without this soft and I personally prefer ArcSoft application. Unfortunately it`s true that in this method on this PDA, we lose auto configuration functionality, but for me it isn`t big problem.

UPDATE : Hey Buddy, can you share the arcsoft cab you are using?? I need some registry settings and setting

sdll.dll from it.

Is there something wrong with this link?

[...]

Now have to install ArcSoft Composer with MMS support. I have been using version 5.2.0.47 (it isn`t the newest one, but in this version you can put text/video/audio in one mms): Link

[...]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jrtancinco

Hi Sumit,

This tool worked like a charm, just the way i wanted it. i just did a few tweaks of my own to fit my taste perfectly:

1) HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\MsgTypes\IPM\SMStext

parm name="Name" changed value="Text Message" to value="SMS"

2) HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Svc\SMS

parm name="FriendlyName" changed value="SMS / MMS" back to value="Messaging"

3) Added a new string (this is just to prioritize SMS above MMS when choosing an option)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Svc\SMS]

"MsgClassMenuOrder" = "IPM.SMStext:IPM.MMS"

4) I also reverted the shortcuts back to original (Message opens the Samsung App, while Email opens the WM messaging app). Just a matter of personal preference.

The core purpose of having the option to choose whether you want to compose an SMS or MMS is fantastic. Great job sir!

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

@jrtancinco : Buddy, I like some of your preferences, specifically points 1 and 3. I have incorporated these changes in V2 of the cab :D For the name of Account, I still personally feel that the text SMS/MMS is more appropriate than Messaging. But anyways, thanks a lot for the suggestions, specially the MenuOrder one. :D

• 7 months later...

I like the idea and I find it really useful, however, there are some problems...

1) When opening contacts and selecting one, the selecting "Send contact via vCard" from menu, it opens an empty SMS (not an MMS!) with no contact info attached (tested sending, empty SMS is received).

2) the menu items "Mark as read" and "Mark as Unread" don't work.

After deinstalling the fix, the vCard sending opens the Samsung SMS editor/composer and the sending then works, but...

1) the native WM SMS app doesn't mark SMS as "read" after opening.

2) the menus "Mark as read" and "Mark as Unread" still don't work.

Too bad I didn't try the SMS / MMS / vCard functionality before installing this fix... Is there a possibility to restore the original settings somehow? Could You provide a *.REG file with the original settings for example?

P.S. I am using Sumit's own 23145 ROM.