M3100 > upgrade time

Guest Andy_D

Hiya folks

been a member here for,, donkeys but not really posted due to being a read type more than a "post" type person.

Currently my spv m3100 , hermes, does what i need for a phone/pda but its starting to show its age, esp in battery life department.

since using the orriginal "spv", and then a few other HTC SPV phones, ending up with the hermes, ive totally lost touch with whats about and out there,

so

HELP !!

what is going to do the same/more as the hermes, with a slide out keyboard, BT + wifi /3g/gprs

preferably from HTC , dont mind a phone thats not "brand new", its going to get unlocked and slapped with a virgin sim (best deal for me with coverage where i need it) so brand new "sim free" or on a contract doesnt apply (think Ebay/2nd hand )

manage to sync with outlook (i know i know,,but all my buis stuff is in outlook and has been for years)

and generally Not be a "symbian type" os (clunky cludgy and just Not me), do Not want a Iphone at all.

Edit

Gps > needed/wanted

wifi > a must

MS/Outlook sync > a must

word/excel/pdf >read/write (dont all phones do this now?) > must

Supported *ah yes if only* by tomtom *i know there support is,,, dire*

facebook/tweeter/social networking crud NOT important Wont be used

camera , nice but,,anything better than a blockovision (2.1 on the hermes) will be fine

Edited by Andy_D

Guest awarner

A very belated welcome to the site ;)

first off is what is your actual budget?

Second if you want to play around with ROMs to get the phone working properly then go the Android route otherwise WP7 (forget WM, WP7 blows it out of the water)

Changing your device to a newer or different OS will mean TomTom you currently have is a no go.

Otherwise for older devices you have the HD2 but it is getting outdated now.

Regarding Outlook, WP7 syncs via Live mail which you can sync with Outlook, Android is similar apart from doing it via gmail, but there are 3rd party apps for syncing Android I believe.

A very belated welcome to the site ;)

first off is what is your actual budget?

Second if you want to play around with ROMs to get the phone working properly then go the Android route otherwise WP7 (forget WM, WP7 blows it out of the water)

Changing your device to a newer or different OS will mean TomTom you currently have is a no go.

Otherwise for older devices you have the HD2 but it is getting outdated now.

Regarding Outlook, WP7 syncs via Live mail which you can sync with Outlook, Android is similar apart from doing it via gmail, but there are 3rd party apps for syncing Android I believe.

Many thanks

android,, seems out , using 3rd/4th party never really works first time,, and messing with roms,, i dont mind bricking a hermes,,but i think id cry if /when i bricked a new android thing,,,, (i will brick it at one point in time)

many thankies, i think i shall have to look at the HTC WP7 with keyboard devices and go with one of those.

thanks for the belated,, ive been reading since the SPV,,but never realised id not posted till today,,,

Guest awarner

Don't forget as the WP7 format is new sat nav like TomTom etc are not available yet but I'm hoping Bing maps will be enabled at some point. Saves buying another application.