boot to recovery

Guest Bazabaza

Guest Bazabaza

My vega will not boot now for some unexplained reason. Have looked through the forums and I cannot seem to find a definitive answer. Have been trying the approach from the PCworld website ie

Place the Advent Vega into recovery mode by:

o Turn the Vega off by holding down the POWER button for 6 seconds

o Once off, hold the BACK button down for 2 seconds

o Then, whilst keeping the BACK button held, press and hold the POWER button for 2 seconds

o Then release just the POWER button but keep holding the BACK button for a further 2 seconds

o Release the BACK button

Nothing seems to happen. (Just the back light comes on - no on screen activity, my pc does not bleep to acknowledge a USB connection) Would like to master this. 'cause I would like to get my Vega back....or else I will have to take it back to PCworld!

Edited by Bazabaza

Guest Lennyuk
My vega will not boot now for some unexplained reason. Have looked through the forums and I cannot seem to find a definitive answer. Have been trying the approach from the PCworld website ie

o Then, whilst keeping the BACK button held, press and hold the POWER button for 2 seconds

o Then release just the POWER button but keep holding the BACK button for a further 2 seconds

Nothing seems to happen. (Just the back light comes on - no on screen activity, my pc does not bleep to acknowledge a USB connection) Would like to master this. 'cause I would like to get my Vega back....or else I will have to take it back to PCworld!

that is the correct combination, just keep trying it, alternatively just listen for when you pc goes "bing bong" to signal its picked up a device.

Guest tarling

Hello.

I'm pretty sure you need to have the power lead plugged in. Turn it all off, plug the power in and then start the process again as you've described it.

Hope this works for you

Guest SilentMobius
Does it go into recovery straight away or is there a delay?

There is a delay of a couple of seconds but also there is no visible sign (on the screen) that you are in recovery.

Make use your Vega is 100% charged and plugged in as if can get fussy about going into recovery otherwise

Guest Bazabaza

OK I have been able to do it. I was leaving the power cable in all the time. What I found was that when you power down you must remove the power cable and then reinsert it. This gave me a consistent boot into recovery

so...

(if power cable inserted, remove and reinsert)

o Once off, Insert power cable, hold the BACK button down for 2 seconds

Edited by Bazabaza

• 4 months later...
Guest Mike Abbott
that is the correct combination, just keep trying it, alternatively just listen for when you pc goes "bing bong" to signal its picked up a device.

I know this is and old tread but I am new to this. Can someone clarify exactly what is supposed to happen after the above key strokes. What should I see on the screen?

Mike

Guest beegee1962
I know this is and old tread but I am new to this. Can someone clarify exactly what is supposed to happen after the above key strokes. What should I see on the screen?

Mike

You see nothing. The screen stays black. Only when you start the flashing of an official Stock ROM (and that is what this mode is for) you see a small white sentence on the top left side of the tablet.

Guest HypoTurtle
You see nothing. The screen stays black. Only when you start the flashing of an official Stock ROM (and that is what this mode is for) you see a small white sentence on the top left side of the tablet.

Well although not incorrect you can also flash recoveries of Custom ROMs while in this mode by replacing files within the stock flash program (there's a guide up here somewhere) or by using a NVFlash program that I have seen somewhere but haven't used.

It's been a while since I've booted into NV recovery, would I be right in saying that if entered correctly the back-light will turn on the back off in under half a second?I think when I started to try and get into recovery I thought I hadn't done it right when the back-light turned on.

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest Panayioti

There is one minor sign that i see when i go into recovery and that is that you can see a blue light underneath the camera and you can only see it if you put Vega on a approx 70 degree angle looking down from landscape. :-)

Guest BadDroid
There is one minor sign that i see when i go into recovery and that is that you can see a blue light underneath the camera and you can only see it if you put Vega on a approx 70 degree angle looking down from landscape. :-)

Sometimes for some reason it doesn't beep in windows.

Best way to tell is to open up your device manager and a new Nvidia item should show up in there. You should see the device list refresh.

The manual on the official vega site got me through it:

http://www.myadventvega.co.uk/

Guest phil8715
Sometimes for some reason it doesn't beep in windows.

Best way to tell is to open up your device manager and a new Nvidia item should show up in there. You should see the device list refresh.

The manual on the official vega site got me through it:

http://www.myadventvega.co.uk/

On my W7 netbook I press back 2 sec then power and back 2 sec then release the power button kepping my finger on the back button 2 sec

Then a little green tick appears on my system tray on bottom right hand side.

That tells me i'm in recovery and the drivers are correctly installed.

Edited by phil8715

Guest Mike Abbott
On my W7 netbook I press back 2 sec then power and back 2 sec then release the power button kepping my finger on the back button 2 sec

Thanks guys. I have now tried this and after the key combination the only way I can get it to switch back on is to hold the power down for about 10 seconds. The green man appears for about 5 seconds then I have to press power again for 2 seconds. I do not see the green tick or entries in the task manager.

Guest derffie

I have had issues doing this, but just keep at it,for some reason having the charger on borks it every time for me, so as soon as the pc sounds the connection, back in with the charge lead, and, now this maybe just me, if you fail a couple of times at it, try holding the power/home button for a good12 seconds seems to clear it, I'm sure the magic button combo narks off even the the most techie minded of vega owners, luckily it is just a trial and error, keep at it, we've all been there, etc etc, that vega owners can just look at each other and go, hmmm, recovery mode and nod at each other with battle scarred camaraderie!!!

Good luck

Guest premieral

Mike

hi mike what are you trying to get into recovery for? what have you done previously with your vega? I find recovery very straightforward on my vega , one of the lucky few ;) but i know it causes tribulations for some. However have you borked your vega so need to reinstall stock?

Edited by premieral

Guest Mike Abbott

I am trying to install from the market place etc from the kitchen file. I did it once from update menu but I did not get any more icons and lost my wifi connection. I then restored to the latest boot file from Advent web site. I tried loading just the Market place and got that installed but it wont download. Done the usual checks from various forums ie check google account but not getting anywhere with that. I must be getting old this stuff used to be easy!

Guest premieral
I am trying to install from the market place etc from the kitchen file. I did it once from update menu but I did not get any more icons and lost my wifi connection. I then restored to the latest boot file from Advent web site. I tried loading just the Market place and got that installed but it wont download. Done the usual checks from various forums ie check google account but not getting anywhere with that. I must be getting old this stuff used to be easy!

have you cleared the google market cache as that causes the market to stop downloading. do you get an error message or does the download just not happen?

Guest Mike Abbott
have you cleared the google market cache as that causes the market to stop downloading. do you get an error message or does the download just not happen?

Just found the step by step guide from here will try again as I had made a couple of errors so will get back if I need further help. thanks. Mike

Guest ThomasAstor

The way I did it while having the the stock-rom re-installed at PCWorld [twice] was to have AUDI open and as soon it would go into recovery, the long window at the bottom the left would turn green telling me that I am in. [Remains red otherwise]

But the two seconds are not really right.

You can stay as many seconds on the back button..

But the power button is more like a longish second otherwise the screen light up.

But a soon as you are in, the green screen is your way to know.

Thank you Simon ;)

Guest Burcotwoody

Please can someone help !!

I was trying to enable my vega to be able to view photos from a usb card reader and had tapped on the usb app icon and the screen went black apart from "starting fastboot usb download protocol" in the top left corner. It stays like this and whatever I seem to do pressing the off button and back button as suggested the same screen keeps coming back. My apologies now if I have posted this in the wrong place or are just missing something obvious but I am new to this and would appreciate any advice.

Guest Burcotwoody
Please can someone help !!

I was trying to enable my vega to be able to view photos from a usb card reader and had tapped on the usb app icon and the screen went black apart from "starting fastboot usb download protocol" in the top left corner. It stays like this and whatever I seem to do pressing the off button and back button as suggested the same screen keeps coming back. My apologies now if I have posted this in the wrong place or are just missing something obvious but I am new to this and would appreciate any advice.

Please ignore the above

Sorted at last thanks

Guest Mike Abbott
Just found the step by step guide from here will try again as I had made a couple of errors so will get back if I need further help. thanks. Mike

OK here's where I am now.

I followed the step by step guide for installing from the kitchen created zip. Although it appeared to install all that happened was that I get a message saying Booting up.. there are no extra icons and my wifi is disabled with a message saying error.

I tried to install using the same method as installing the zip file from Advent site. Although I can install the recover update from Advent and get back to first time switch on state. When I try to install the Kitchen zip is cannot find the device.

Guest simonta

I completely misread this

and my wifi is disabled with a message saying error.

as

and my wife is disabled with a message saying error.

Took me a short while to figure out what you were talking about ;)

Search for YAUDIG and AUDI. Installing the mcr ROM requires a different approach. That said, I thoroughly recommend Corvus5 ROM. Check it out, you may wish to jump straight to it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest vinsterb

Hello

I accidentally hit the RECOVERY icon on the VEGA and I am pulling my hair out now as I cannot get it back up and running. I'm pretty good at techy stuff, but most of this looks like Black Magic. Can anyone help with easy to follow instructions please.

Cheers

Vinny

• 5 months later...
Guest OKAN ARI

I have the same problem when try to take my tablet to APX mode.

I am trying key combinations again and again but Win7 can't find any hardware.

I bought my tablet from a user. My tablet is not new, used. it was already installed modaco android 2.2

So is here any change in key combination?

Or any orher advice to ender APX mode?