IMPORTANT: How to fix USB-detection with the POV Mobii variant

Guest TiggerFun

Guest TiggerFun

As we all know the Point Of View (POV) Mobii Tegra 10,1" is basically the same hardware as the Advent Vega.

However, there is one very important difference when it comes to software - the USB-detection.

If you update the POV to the newest FW 1.07.4, it will not be detected under Windows XP. FW-updating is still possible via USB (since the device has its own mode for that) but nothing else. Which means you will not be able to put Paul's awesome custom ROMs on your device!

I tried several methods to solve this problem but to no avail. With the original POV-FW this simply will not work.

Thanks to the German Android-Hilfe-Forum (XN04113 pointed it out) and instructions found at Mario's TinyLab (http://blog.fh-kaernten.at/wehr/2011/01/31/pov-mobii-tegra-tablet-and-how-to-pimp-it/) I can give you the following advice:

- The original POV-FW does not support normal USB-operation. POV themselves said so. (http://www.android-hilfe.de/pov-mobii-tegra-tablet-10-2-advent-vega-forum/76765-pov-mobii-tegra-keine-usb-verbindung.html#post1038663) (English text in the box.)

- To enable USB-support you have to flash on an Advent Vega FW. (Currently v1.08.)

- Immediately after flashing the device Windows XP will recognize it properly. (Other Windows versions I cannot confirm.)

- Custom ROMs can now be flashed on the device as described in the appropriate threads.

These instructions worked for me without any flaw. Reflashing the device in case of a warranty claim should also be no problem.

Hope this will help some of you! :P

Guest simonta
As we all know the Point Of View (POV) Mobii Tegra 10,1" is basically the same hardware as the Advent Vega.

However, there is one very important difference when it comes to software - the USB-detection.

If you update the POV to the newest FW 1.07.4, it will not be detected under Windows XP. FW-updating is still possible via USB (since the device has its own mode for that) but nothing else. Which means you will not be able to put Paul's awesome custom ROMs on your device!

I tried several methods to solve this problem but to no avail. With the original POV-FW this simply will not work.

Thanks to the German Android-Hilfe-Forum (XN04113 pointed it out) and instructions found at Mario's TinyLab (http://blog.fh-kaernten.at/wehr/2011/01/31/pov-mobii-tegra-tablet-and-how-to-pimp-it/) I can give you the following advice:

- The original POV-FW does not support normal USB-operation. POV themselves said so. (http://www.android-hilfe.de/pov-mobii-tegra-tablet-10-2-advent-vega-forum/76765-pov-mobii-tegra-keine-usb-verbindung.html#post1038663) (English text in the box.)

- To enable USB-support you have to flash on an Advent Vega FW. (Currently v1.08.)

- Immediately after flashing the device Windows XP will recognize it properly. (Other Windows versions I cannot confirm.)

- Custom ROMs can now be flashed on the device as described in the appropriate threads.

These instructions worked for me without any flaw. Reflashing the device in case of a warranty claim should also be no problem.

Hope this will help some of you! :P

You cannot use ADB with the Mobii ROM by default because it's in USB host mode. You could use the POV ROM then apply the USB mode switcher from here.

Guest TiggerFun
You cannot use ADB with the Mobii ROM by default because it's in USB host mode.

Yes, I know.

You could use the POV ROM then apply the USB mode switcher from here.

Problem is, I was not able to make any of the mode switchers work on my device. The one offered on this forum for example installed properly, but did not reboot to switch the USB mode.

Besides, the other ("manual") methods are a real hassle, so why bother. Flash the Advent Vega FW on it and from then on any custom ROM you like.

Guest warriorscot

What you could probably do is install ADB wireless and just use that to install clockwork mod. With clockwork mod on it is really easy to install custom roms and application along with all the other useful stuff like nandroid backups you can do with it.

Guest simonta

Have y'all tried installing the USB mode switches manually?

If you unzip the APK, you'll find a folder called assets containing the appropriate boot images. Use the APK from the mcr pack you've got installed. Then:

adb push flash_image /data/local

adb push host.img /data/local

adb shell chmod 4755 /data/local/flash_image

adb shell /data/loca/flash_image boot /data/local/host.img

Reboot

Swap slave.img for host.img to go back.

If that works, it will help to figure out what the problem is.

Guest TiggerFun
Is there any solution in the near future?

As long as you use FWs by Point of View I don't think so. But why bother with them in the first place if you can install better ROMs that support USB mode switch from the get go?

Guest TiggerFun
What you could probably do is install ADB wireless and just use that to install clockwork mod. With clockwork mod on it is really easy to install custom roms and application along with all the other useful stuff like nandroid backups you can do with it.

As I said above, just flash Advent Vega's FW on it and USB will work properly. From then on you can choose whatever FW you like.

Guest TiggerFun
Have y'all tried installing the USB mode switches manually?

Thanks for the advice! I tried doing that yesterday but POV obviously removed or blocked a part of the USB functionality so it did not work for me.

However, since this whole problem can be circumvented by flashing one of Advent's FW on the device I don't see much reason to pursue this matter any further.

Guest TiggerFun

ADDENDUM:

After flashing the original Point of View FW back on the device and doing some more testing I can confirm the following:

- Re-flashing is no problem! So in case of a warrantee issue you can reset the tablet to factory settings.

- The USB issue is not related to a flaw/bug of any kind but was obviously done deliberately by POV. (Read the statement in the link of my OP.)

- The Advent Vega FW offers the same functionality - but including USB - and seems to be no better or worse than the POV FW in any other respect.

Conclusion:

For now there is no good reason to keep the Point Of View FW on your device.

Guest SilentMobius

Just to quote this, I have run my vega in USB host mode since it was available and never had any problems applying Pauls mods due to use adb wireless. There is a simple (and free) app available in the market that allows all adb communication to be done over wi-fi rather than USB

Guest rvdgeer
ADDENDUM:

After flashing the original Point of View FW back on the device and doing some more testing I can confirm the following:

- Re-flashing is no problem! So in case of a warrantee issue you can reset the tablet to factory settings.

- The USB issue is not related to a flaw/bug of any kind but was obviously done deliberately by POV. (Read the statement in the link of my OP.)

- The Advent Vega FW offers the same functionality - but including USB - and seems to be no better or worse than the POV FW in any other respect.

Conclusion:

For now there is no good reason to keep the Point Of View FW on your device.

The switcher probably won't work until you root the device...

What I've done a couple of times:

• Install POV firmware
  • Install VISIONary and apply TEMPROOT twice(!)
  • Install the USB switcher and switch to slave mode
  • Enable USB debugging and flash the MCR (Add-On)

ADB wireless is another great option I've successfully used.

Easiest is to install the Advent firmware and go from there...

From MCR r7 (and up) you can use clockworkmod, which works perfectly for me...

So, there's actually a lot of options for a POV Mobii user :P

Guest TiggerFun
Just to quote this, I have run my vega in USB host mode since it was available and never had any problems applying Pauls mods due to use adb wireless.

This thread is about the Point of View Mobii Tegra, which is basically the same hardware as the Advent Vega, but with a different FW. POV obviously removed some of the USB functionality. Once you reflash the tablet with Advent Vega FW, USB will function properly. The same applies to USB mode switchers (which also don't work under the POV FW).

There is a simple (and free) app available in the market that allows all adb communication to be done over wi-fi rather than USB

Thanks for the advice!

Guest TiggerFun
The switcher probably won't work until you root the device...

Actually, rooting was the very first thing I did! To no avail.

What I've done a couple of times:
  • Install POV firmware
  • Install VISIONary and apply TEMPROOT twice(!)
  • Install the USB switcher and switch to slave mode
  • Enable USB debugging and flash the MCR (Add-On)

ADB wireless is another great option I've successfully used.

Way too much hassle, if you ask me, just because POV does not want us to use proper USB.

Easiest is to install the Advent firmware and go from there...

Exactly my words. Why bother with POVs FW if you can have the same (and better) INCLUDING full USB functionality.

From MCR r7 (and up) you can use clockworkmod, which works perfectly for me...

Right now I don't need CWM, maybe one day.

So, there's actually a lot of options for a POV Mobii user :P

Once you got over the first obstacle - understanding how and why there is no proper USB functionality if you connect your tablet to a PC.

• 2 months later...
Guest chockimon

The USB mode switcher was programmed with the Vega firmware in mind, so I highly doubt you'll be able to get it to work with the POV Mobii FM. I tried and it just locks up when you reboot.

Edited by chockimon

• 8 months later...

As I have posted elsewhere on the forum, I perhaps wrongly thought I would have to back up my original rom before updating the fw, my mobii screen went blank and all I can do is turn the backlight on and off now.

Paul

• 10 months later...
Guest bpodnar

Guys, I have a problem with device detecting over USB. I'm lost in bunch of information, you all saying to flash this, flash that but no one has provided tutorial "HOW TO" make my device be recognised by my PC. Simply I cant get my device drivers installed correctly. Now I have in device manager list the "APX" under "other devices" and thats all. I tried all methods to get my device recognised but no success. Please tell me how to fix all that. Is my device in NVflash mode if "APX" is shown in device manager tree?

Guys, I have a problem with device detecting over USB. I'm lost in bunch of information, you all saying to flash this, flash that but no one has provided tutorial "HOW TO" make my device be recognised by my PC. Simply I cant get my device drivers installed correctly. Now I have in device manager list the "APX" under "other devices" and thats all. I tried all methods to get my device recognised but no success. Please tell me how to fix all that. Is my device in NVflash mode if "APX" is shown in device manager tree?

Hi mate, seems to me that your device has been recognized by OS the only thing you need to do is to install drivers.

But just to clear in step by step: to enter the recovery mode you have to connect your charger to the tablet connect PC with tablet by USB cable.

You need to shut down your tablet before doing procedure.

Hold back key and press and hold power button.(tip.hold back key when you press power button)

Done correct you will hear the sound that there is a device connected to windows.

After that go to device and manager and right click on APX and install driver by using have disk option.(you need to unzip driver).

Go to support page and find USB driver there regarding of model you have http://downloads.pointofview-online.com/Drivers/ .Hope I've helped you

Guest bpodnar

Thank you my friend, I've manged to solve my problem. I found USB driver on some other site, cant remember which one, and point that APX to update driver and at first the system notified my that cant find proper driver at this location. After that i was really mad and second time pointed to driver path but this time only on head folder and BINGO, driver found and installed succesfully. I installed VegaBean ROM from XDA and it works great. I managed to get in NVFLASH mode but its really difficult because of holding buttons for exact time period. Thanks again!