Transferring apps to new SD card

Guest JohnPettigrew

Guest JohnPettigrew

I've got myself a new 16GB SD card for my San Francisco - the 2GB one was too small for my music. The card works fine, but I'm having trouble with App2SD.

I had lots of apps on the old SD card, and assumed that copying the data across to the new card would be enough (I'm running 2.2, which seems, from what I've read, not to need the ext2 partition). However, all the old apps on the card are unavailable. Despite this, I can still transfer apps to the new card without problem. It seems odd that I can move apps back and forth, but only if they weren't on the card before the data was copied from one card to another.

Is there any easy way to get the apps back without having to go back to the old card and moving them all to the phone (if there's space for them)?

Edited by JohnPettigrew

Guest dbeckett

I havent done it myself but i presume this would work

APPS2SD uses ext2, if your using 2.2 rom without apps2sd it wont use ext2, since you have a2sd you need to copy the ext2 partition from one to the other

1)Use Clockwork to do a backup (rom+data+apps)

2)Parition new sd card correctly

3) Copy all data from fat32 on old sd card to new sd card(photos musics clockwork backedup files etc)

4) insert new sd card and click restore backup in clockwork, which should reinstall the rom+data and also put all the backed up apps into the ext2 card partition

might be an easier way though

EDIT-Maybe im getting mixed up with a2sd and apps2sd, have you ever partitioned your old sd card?

Edited by dbeckett

Guest JohnPettigrew
Maybe im getting mixed up with a2sd and apps2sd, have you ever partitioned your old sd card?

It could be me causing the confusion by not using the right terms - I haven't explicitly use app2sd, just moved apps to the sd card using the Settings/Applications tools. I'm doing the same after changing the card as I did before, just on the new card.

I'd expect, given that I'm on 2.2, that the files would just move across. Is there any secret data that should be moved (like files or directories starting with a dot, which won't display on my Mac unless I use the Terminal).

Guest Phoenix Silver

in linux files beginning by . are hidden

(in a linux box you can view them when you press ctrl + h)

just go in clockwork and navigate to the menu mount usb

transfer files from sd card to pc

do the same thing with the new sd from pc to phone

• 3 weeks later...
I havent done it myself but i presume this would work

APPS2SD uses ext2, if your using 2.2 rom without apps2sd it wont use ext2, since you have a2sd you need to copy the ext2 partition from one to the other

1)Use Clockwork to do a backup (rom+data+apps)

2)Parition new sd card correctly

3) Copy all data from fat32 on old sd card to new sd card(photos musics clockwork backedup files etc)

4) insert new sd card and click restore backup in clockwork, which should reinstall the rom+data and also put all the backed up apps into the ext2 card partition

might be an easier way though

EDIT-Maybe im getting mixed up with a2sd and apps2sd, have you ever partitioned your old sd card?

I'm not at ease understanding A2SD mechanisms but: i do have a 2GB sd with a 512MB ext partition (created with CWM 3.0.0.6) and i do received a new SD of 8GB, i'd like to switch, your steps make sense: i'll give it a try! but what about making a bigger ext partition on the new SD, do you think it's reasonnable...? Are >512MB ext partition still unrecommended...?

When i go to "Applications>Manage" i don't have any option, it's only manually that i can move apps, it's normal right ?

Oh, and i have FLB G2 r9b's rom.

Thx a lot in advance

Guest Dan Diplo

By chance I got a new 16GB SD card last night and needed to copy over the contents of the 2GB card. I hadn't done anything explicitly with partitioning or APP2SD, but I did use the feature of moving apps from the phone to the SD card that is available with 2.2. So I did have a mixture of apps and data on the 2GB card, but wasn't sure if this mean I had "APP2SD". I'm using FLB 2.2 8a ROM, btw.

Anyway, I copied the 2GB file to a folder on my Windows 7 PC (using USB cable). I then turned off the phone, removed the old SD card and inserted the new 16GB SD card and rebooted into Clockwork. I then formatted the SD card using Clockwork (not sure if that was needed) and then copied the files from my PC back to the SD card, again using the mount USB card found in Clockwork. After a reboot it all seemed to work and all the original apps were back and working as before. At no point did I do anything "clever" with partitioning etc.

Guest oldfella

I also switched to 16GB today - backed up the old card which had already been setup for a2sd, then partitioned and formatted the new card, 15.5 GIG FAT32, 512 meg ext2 using clockwork.

copied back the FAT part, then restored the lot including the SD-EXT.

all seems to work, so far.

only problems were some file corruptions where the old card was writing corrupt data

not sure what you are asking - the ext size I used was 512MB ?

Nope, simply if you followed steps described above: full backup on CWM, SDs' switch and full restore ?

My question about size is because i've read few weeks ago that ext partition over 512MB were buggy, so i was wondering if it was still the case..and btw what if i follow those steps above to transfer from a 512MB partition to a 1GB, are there MBR or any kind of issues...?

thx in advance

Guest oldfella

do a clockwork backup

copy the SD card to PC

use clockwork to partition and format the card

ext set at 512, swap at 0

copy the SD card backup back to the new card

do a complete restore from the clockwork backup

(you probably only need to restore the SD-EXT but it seemed safer to me)

I know nothing of issues with greater than 512meg, and my guess would be there would be no problem with restoring from 512 to 1 gig. You must have a lot of programs ! I only have 60 meg in my EXT, but I do use the ROM for most of my apps so its only updates and the odd new app that gets added.

do a clockwork backup

copy the SD card to PC

I know nothing of issues with greater than 512meg, and my guess would be there would be no problem with restoring from 512 to 1 gig. You must have a lot of programs ! I only have 60 meg in my EXT, but I do use the ROM for most of my apps so its only updates and the odd new app that gets added.

Restoring is on going right now...yeah yeah i know hours after your answer..thanks by the way..but i'm a mess with SD partitioning each times i do something wrong before doing good steps, i'll tell you what's the conclusion..

1GB to be large, 512MB would have been enough i guess but this way i can install and test apps..

thx again

do a clockwork backup

copy the SD card to PC

Restoring is on going right now...yeah yeah i know hours after your answer..thanks by the way..but i'm a mess with SD partitioning each times i do something wrong before doing good steps, i'll tell you what's the conclusion..

1GB to be large, 512MB would have been enough i guess but this way i can install and test apps..

thx again

Well it's kind of weird: i've restored and apps are working (they are on SD) but FAT isn't usable and the phone can't format it...once on the computer EASEUS shows only 1 partition of 7,5GB i can only format as it should be 6,5GB...no..? i used CWM 3.0.0.6

I had problems when I tried using the PC to partition or format the card - only using clockwork solved it for me

i rollbacked to my 2GB mSD 'til i put my new 8GB straight..i too used CWM but seemed inoperant. i may not be in the right thread but what's the good way to format a new SD:

- full format on the phone with android

- reboot on the recovery to create the ext partition

- flash/restore/...

- reformat the reduced partition

?

I'll try gparted to reset the SD.

Guest oldfella

probably doesnt help but I couldnt get 8 Gig to work either - kept getting CW errors

try just using CW - has to be 2.5.1.8 or later

reset the card to just FAT - via the PC if necessary

then the following with CW

format the SD card

partition the SD card adding ext

format the FAT

format the EXT

my experience is that if CW doesnt report any error then Android sees the card OK

if all fails return the card and try 16 gig

Edited by oldfella

Guest Roo13

Hi Oldfella,

Thanks for your reply.

In fact, i tried EASEUS today, it showed that my 2GB SD had 1 primary partition of 1,5GB in FAT32 and 1 primary partition of 0,5GB EXT2 (created with CWM), as it worked as a charm since i have my blade, i did the same with 8GB (7GB-FAT32 & 1GB-EXT2): just perfect..!!

I just restored sd-ext too and seems ok..

Thanks again

Edited by Roo13

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest hugobosslives
Somebody REALLY needs to write a clear guide on this, it's baffling so many people, and none more than me!! :D

indeed. it would help out alot of people. i learned how to do it through trial and error, and thus wouldn't want to explain to someone how to do it because my method is probably very weird.

anyone found a guide for this out there?

Guest Roo13

It's messy because not a single one person has the same configuration, in addition it's rom dependant, sometimes it is managed with an app, sometimes people have resized their phone's partitions, used a different recovery,... i guess each one should improvise based on usual steps extended with their configuration's specificities...

For example, for reasons that still stay unknown my CWM made ext2 partition i had to convert to ext3 to get it working for s2ext on CM7...so as you i wouldn't want to explain how i did it as it was SOooo messy...!

Edited by Roo13

• 3 months later...
Guest sc52
do a clockwork backup

copy the SD card to PC

Help....

I've followed your instructions, but when trying to partition my (new) SD card I keep getting an error message "An error occured while partitioning your SD card. Please see /tmp/recovery.log for more details"

I started by formatting the card before partitioning.

What should I do now?

Thanks

EDIT

Carried on regardless and did the restore and got the message - "sd-ext.img not found. Skipping restore of /sd-ext"

I take it that this is due to the above error.

Help please - Something tells me all may not be well!

I'll see if the phone/apps work and report back.

Thanks

EDIT 2

As I thought, the phone doesn't boot! - just sticks on the green man - even with the old SD card inserted

Help........... :)

EDIT 3

Sorted - managed to reload ROM (from zip on old SD card) using clockwork. Settings and some data lost but apps backed up from google account. Phew

Edited by sc52