Modding backwards

Guest trevor432990

Guest trevor432990

I have just installed the R7 mod which left me with a new Kernel version of "MCK r2" and now I wish that I hadn't because both my GPS and Flash are no longer working. I know there is a topic about re-installing Flash but nothing seems to clear the problem. Anyway I would really like to just go back to v1.06.5 so my question is :-

Is it possible to regress to a previous version without re-flashing the kernel ?

Have you gone up to Advent's 1.08?

Not sure about the GPS but I have posted in other thread about flash, see below (dont know how to get direct link)

Flash missing on virgin R7 install.

Shuttle priv folder doesnt seem to be in the r7 rom for some reason, it is in R6

You can download the optimised flash file from this thread

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...guides-how-tos/

Download to your SD card and browse to dowloaded location with ifilemanager and click on the file to install

Guest TylerDurdenK

No, I think the new kernal is part of R7. So you have the same system I have now, and neither BT GPS or flash (after installing it) are broken for me.

Guest trevor432990
Not sure about the GPS but I have posted in other thread about flash, see below (dont know how to get direct link)

Flash missing on virgin R7 install.

Shuttle priv folder doesnt seem to be in the r7 rom for some reason, it is in R6

You can download the optimised flash file from this thread

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...guides-how-tos/

Download to your SD card and browse to dowloaded location with ifilemanager and click on the file to install

Thanks for this info I'm still deciding what to do as the GPS code seems to have disappeared as well which is a pain. Hence my question about whether I can go back to where I was at 1.06.5

Update:- Decided to stick with r7 and managed to get Flash going by installing optimised version as you suggested. Thanks again

Edited by trevor432990

Guest trevor432990
No, I think the new kernal is part of R7. So you have the same system I have now, and neither BT GPS or flash (after installing it) are broken for me.

Sure does sound the same thing what a booger. Just want to get back to v1.06.5 if I can have you tried yet yourself?

Guest simonta
Sure does sound the same thing what a booger. Just want to get back to v1.06.5 if I can have you tried yet yourself?

I ran 1.06.5 and mcr 7, all worked fine although I don't use GPS so don't know about that.

mcr7, unlike the previous releases, does include the new kernel, mck r2. You can use whatever kernel you like by replacing boot.img in the stock ROM flashes. To do this, just unzip the EXE, replace boot.img then run lvds.bat (Vega in recovery of course).

You can also just replace the kernel by flashing boot.img through ADB.

Remember also that the USB mode switcher replaces boot.img, and therefore the kernel, so if you use it, be sure to use the version that matches the Advent version you are on (1.06.5 or 1.08).

Cheers

Guest trevor432990
I ran 1.06.5 and mcr 7, all worked fine although I don't use GPS so don't know about that.

mcr7, unlike the previous releases, does include the new kernel, mck r2. You can use whatever kernel you like by replacing boot.img in the stock ROM flashes. To do this, just unzip the EXE, replace boot.img then run lvds.bat (Vega in recovery of course).

You can also just replace the kernel by flashing boot.img through ADB.

Remember also that the USB mode switcher replaces boot.img, and therefore the kernel, so if you use it, be sure to use the version that matches the Advent version you are on (1.06.5 or 1.08).

Cheers

<snip> going to stick with MCK r2 for now and see if I can fix GPS as Tyler reckons his works. Cheers :P

Edited by trevor432990

Guest trevor432990

Sorry I think I misread your post Tyler ... if you say they are both working which GPS are you using and can you tell me what your BT GPS Provider app settings are please?

Edited by trevor432990

Guest TylerDurdenK

I haven't changed anything since following your guide!

BTW you keep saying you want to get back to 1.06.5, but unless I'm confused R7 is only an add on for 1.06.5. so you should still be on 1.06.5.

*EDIT* I had a quick look and it appears R7 is indeed a custom ROM, however it remains true that I have changed nothing on my Bluetooth GPS Provider preferences.

For clarity, here they are:

Choose GPS receiver - BT GPS V10 (this is the Wayfinder)

Force - tick

Switch Bluetooth - Tick

Autostop - Untick

Raw HDOP - Tick

GPS Error - 3

DGPS Base Error - 2.5

GPS Type - Other

all other options are greyed out.

Hope you get it working. At what point does it fail?

Edited by TylerDurdenK

Guest trevor432990
I haven't changed anything since following your guide!

BTW you keep saying you want to get back to 1.06.5, but unless I'm confused R7 is only an add on for 1.06.5. so you should still be on 1.06.5.

*EDIT* I had a quick look and it appears R7 is indeed a custom ROM, however it remains true that I have changed nothing on my Bluetooth GPS Provider preferences.

For clarity, here they are:

Choose GPS receiver - BT GPS V10 (this is the Wayfinder)

Force - tick

Switch Bluetooth - Tick

Autostop - Untick

Raw HDOP - Tick

GPS Error - 3

DGPS Base Error - 2.5

GPS Type - Other

all other options are greyed out.

Hope you get it working. At what point does it fail?

Thanks I'll check these settings out. It goes wrong after clicking on start icon in BT GPS app. Comes up as started with blue radar icon in bar but then a red GPS Problem icon pops up as well so can't get satellite data right now.

Edited by trevor432990