Help needed connecting PC (Vista) to phone in fastboot

Guest kmb

Hi all

I've been trying for a week to get my laptop to see the GT540 in fastboot mode. Had no problems upgrading to 2.1, rooting, etc and phone is recognised in 'normal' (usb debugging) mode. Just can't get it to work with fastboot.

I've tried flashing several different ROMS (linked from this site) that apparently have fastboot enabled, and I've tried loads of drivers. I also have the Android SDK installed. As far as I can tell the phone is starting up in Fastboot mode correctly - holding down the camera key on power up gives the LG logo briefly then a blank, almost black, screen. Is there anything else I can try/check?

I'm using Vista Ultimate. Has anybody managed to connect to the phone in fastboot using Vista?

This is starting to drive me mad. Surely it shouldn't be this hard. When I connect the phone in Fastboot, Vista pops up the "Windows needs to install driver software for your Android" dialog but can't find any drivers, and "fastboot devices" and "adb devices" at a cmd prompt gives nothing.

Can anybody suggest anything I can try?

Kev

Guest despotovski01
Hi all

I've been trying for a week to get my laptop to see the GT540 in fastboot mode. Had no problems upgrading to 2.1, rooting, etc and phone is recognised in 'normal' (usb debugging) mode. Just can't get it to work with fastboot.

I've tried flashing several different ROMS (linked from this site) that apparently have fastboot enabled, and I've tried loads of drivers. I also have the Android SDK installed. As far as I can tell the phone is starting up in Fastboot mode correctly - holding down the camera key on power up gives the LG logo briefly then a blank, almost black, screen. Is there anything else I can try/check?

I'm using Vista Ultimate. Has anybody managed to connect to the phone in fastboot using Vista?

This is starting to drive me mad. Surely it shouldn't be this hard. When I connect the phone in Fastboot, Vista pops up the "Windows needs to install driver software for your Android" dialog but can't find any drivers, and "fastboot devices" and "adb devices" at a cmd prompt gives nothing.

Kev

Set up your computer that Windows Update automatically installs the drivers for you.

Guest despotovski01
Hi all

Kev

I don't know for vista, but this tutorial works for Windows 7:

Tutorial 1:

1. Click Start button

2. In the search bar, type "change device installation settings"

3. Click the application named "Change device installation settings"

4. Select the first option: "Yes, do this automatically(recommended)" and hit save changes.

Tutorial 2:

1. Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and printers

2. Right click the devices bar and click Device installation settings

3. Select the first option: "Yes, do this automatically(recommended)" and hit save changes.

Set up your computer that Windows Update automatically installs the drivers for you.

I'm pretty sure it's already trying that as part of the driver installation wizard that launches when I connect the phone. I'll double check when I get home from work. I just tried connecting the phone to an XP machine at work and letting Windows try and find the drivers via Windows Update. This failed too.

I don't know for vista, but this tutorial works for Windows 7:

Tutorial 1:

1. Click Start button

2. In the search bar, type "change device installation settings"

3. Click the application named "Change device installation settings"

4. Select the first option: "Yes, do this automatically(recommended)" and hit save changes.

Tutorial 2:

1. Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and printers

2. Right click the devices bar and click Device installation settings

3. Select the first option: "Yes, do this automatically(recommended)" and hit save changes.

Thanks - I'll try this as soon as I get home.

Update:

I tried the drivers in the first post of this thread on my XP machine at work and it works fine. I have now managed to connect to my phone in fastboot and install 2.2/2.3. I'm still determined to get this working on Vista though and I'll post an update when I manage it.

K

• 1 month later...
Guest infernal
Update:

I tried the drivers in the first post of this thread on my XP machine at work and it works fine. I have now managed to connect to my phone in fastboot and install 2.2/2.3. I'm still determined to get this working on Vista though and I'll post an update when I manage it.

K

Hello kmb did you manage to install fastboot drivers on vista as I am having the exact same problem.. :D

Guest infernal
Try using the drivers found on this page here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=878786

These worked for me on Windows 7 and also include the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Fastboot drivers.

Thanks for the reply it must be a 64 bit thing,because I booted up me old xp windows and had no problems with fastboot drivers installing,so I've been able to install 2.3 from here..http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-gt540/276446-cyanogenmod-7-android-2-3-avaliable-gt540.html

:D