cannot unlock my vega - single touch registers a dual

Guest piran

Ok, so I'm loving the Vega but the screen can be a bit glitchy, I've tried calibrating the screen and am currently using Pauls r8 but I noticed that the screen was behaviour was getting weirder - unless I was holding the Vega in a particular way it wouldn't respond correctly (so zooming on a page instead of scrolling the page as I drag a single finger down the screen) and it wasn't picking up presses either - just tried the calculator and could get it to work if I was holding the tablet in one particluar way but if I held it in other orientations or angles it would give different results so :

leaving it flat on the table : no response

holding it at an angle with my right hand(I'm left handed) with the camera on the left side and pressing any button on the row with 4 in would give a 4, if I rotate the through 180 then I get whatever is at the other end of the row

so I thought I would reboot and now when I turn it on and go to unlock it I press on the lock and that slides off the screen and it selects the muting slider so I can mute and un mute but can't unlock !

I've had a quick search and couldn't find anything - does anybody know if there is another way to unlock the screen ?

Edited by piran

now that is weird - I finally managed to get in and ran the screen calibration again with the tablet resting on the table - and now the calculator works fine on the table or if I support it in the middle of the back BUT if I hold it in one hand any press anywhere on the screen equates to a press somewhere in the top 2cm of the screen either bringing down the notification bar or clicking any buttons that are in that top band.

Could it be that holding the vega in one hand is allowing it to twist enough to affect the screen that badly ?

Guest trevor432990

All sounds very peculiar to me but we need some more information from you before we can help namely

1. How long have you had the Vega ?
  2. Before you began carrying out ROM updates was the screen behaving normally ?
  3. Do you have the power cord attached when the screen glitches occur ?
  4. The calibration you ran was it the same one supplied in the kitchen for that ROM version?

The answers to the above might give us a clue as to where the problem lies. :D

All sounds very peculiar to me but we need some more information from you before we can help namely
  1. How long have you had the Vega ?
  2. Before you began carrying out ROM updates was the screen behaving normally ?
  3. Do you have the power cord attached when the screen glitches occur ?
  4. The calibration you ran was it the same one supplied in the kitchen for that ROM version?
The answers to the above might give us a clue as to where the problem lies. :D

sorry. here goes:

1: Had the Vega since Christmas

2: It has been 'mostly' ok since then with the occaisional glitch but certainly today it has been far worse (although I have not installed/changed anything in the last few days)

3: No the power is not attached

4: Yes it was the calibration app from the kitchen rom

and I have restarted it again and cannot unlock it :D

Guest trevor432990
sorry. here goes:

1: Had the Vega since Christmas

2: It has been 'mostly' ok since then with the occaisional glitch but certainly today it has been far worse (although I have not installed/changed anything in the last few days)

3: No the power is not attached

4: Yes it was the calibration app from the kitchen rom

and I have restarted it again and cannot unlock it :D

When you drag the padlock symbol up the screen to unlock the Vega you only need to go to the full-stop on the screen are you saying it zooms off on its own?

Just got into it through droidexplorer and installed multitouch visualiser.....

any touch at the top 1- 1.5 cm shows as a single touch 1.5cm from the top of the screen (I don't remember how this app treats touches outside the app window)

any touch at the top 1.5-3 cm of the screen shows on ok

anything below that registers as a double touch one at 1.5cm from the top and the other wherever I have my finger

if I slide my finger onto the screen from the bottom the first register is 1.5cm from the top before it picks up the second touch at the bottom

vega1.jpg

vega2.jpg

Edited by piran

When you drag the padlock symbol up the screen to unlock the Vega you only need to go to the full-stop on the screen are you saying it zooms off on its own?

yes when I touch the padlock the speaker symbol at the top becomes highlighted and the padlock slides itself off the screen - just had a play with multitouch visualiser which may explain this behaviour - it is always picking up a touch in the top 1.5 cm of the screen in addition to anywhere else you touch it !

ok continuing the weirdness but if I switch to fix the orientation then it seems to work correctly and only picks up the single touch !

switching back gave some multiouch but switching to fixed and then back a second time and it looks like I'm only getting proper responses about 99% of the time...

so that appears to have fixed it (!?) some very weird behaviour on the screen fixed by switching the orientation lock on and off a couple of times !

Guest trevor432990
ok continuing the weirdness but if I switch to fix the orientation then it seems to work correctly and only picks up the single touch !

switching back gave some multiouch but switching to fixed and then back a second time and it looks like I'm only getting proper responses about 99% of the time...

so that appears to have fixed it (!?) some very weird behaviour on the screen fixed by switching the orientation lock on and off a couple of times !

Hmmm very odd but I hardly ever use the screen orientation lock myself so can't say i've experienced results anything like you are getting. The only other thing I'm aware of which might affect screen inputs (perhaps) is the accelerometer and there is a fix for that in this topic but you'll need to read through the whole thread to see if it can be applied to your version of the ROM or not.

Hmmm very odd but I hardly ever use the screen orientation lock myself so can't say i've experienced results anything like you are getting. The only other thing I'm aware of which might affect screen inputs (perhaps) is the accelerometer and there is a fix for that in this topic but you'll need to read through the whole thread to see if it can be applied to your version of the ROM or not.

Thanks, I'll have a dig around.

This is getting really frustrating now ! it just keeps taking a single touch as a double. I've just reflashed to stock 109 and it is still the same (although I did do a restore of backed up applications) another curious effect is if I hold the tablet in potrait mode touch the screen and rotate it to landscape it won't pick up anything until I switch it back to portrait or use the screen lock switch.

and I can't get into recovery mode to try flashing again as it won't turn on if I'm holding the back button AAARGH

no my mistake recovery mode shows you nothing no backlight or anything so the only way you know it is in recovery mode is to try flashing it...

Edited by piran

Guest gavinlew

I had *VERY* strange behaviour yesterday with the touch screen, no longer allowing multitouch registering a swipe as a tap etc.

I used the "Touchscreen Calibration" tool included in the r8 pack to recalibrate and the problems went away, its a simple process - I held the vega by its left hand side as if i was using it, went into calibration selected start calibration and steadied the unit by softly gripping its right hand side.

Once calibration finished, the touchscreen behaviour returned to normal and now everything is fine again.

I had *VERY* strange behaviour yesterday with the touch screen, no longer allowing multitouch registering a swipe as a tap etc.

I used the "Touchscreen Calibration" tool included in the r8 pack to recalibrate and the problems went away, its a simple process - I held the vega by its left hand side as if i was using it, went into calibration selected start calibration and steadied the unit by softly gripping its right hand side.

Once calibration finished, the touchscreen behaviour returned to normal and now everything is fine again.

tried that several times and it clears for a little while and then comes back - I've also found toggling the orientation lock clears things temporarily

Guest cultiv8ed

I've had exactly the same issue with the screen calibration going mental. I used to be on R6 and had no issues until I installed R7 with the calibration app. I'll be using the tablet as normal with no problems then randomly the calibration screw up and I cant use the UI. I reflashed 1.08 stock then applied R8 and have tried calibrating several times using droid explorer but cannot get it perfect. I cant touch all the way to the left edge of the screen in landscape. Was the display firmware changed after R6 or something?

I've had exactly the same issue with the screen calibration going mental. I used to be on R6 and had no issues until I installed R7 with the calibration app. I'll be using the tablet as normal with no problems then randomly the calibration screw up and I cant use the UI. I reflashed 1.08 stock then applied R8 and have tried calibrating several times using droid explorer but cannot get it perfect. I cant touch all the way to the left edge of the screen in landscape. Was the display firmware changed after R6 or something?

Just reflashed with 1.08 and then spent ages trying to get in as it only recognised to top centimetre of the screen so getting past the eula was a pain. I'm starting to think that it is a hardware fault so will try and arrange a replacement tomorrow :D :D :) :) :) :

Guest cultiv8ed
Just reflashed with 1.08 and then spent ages trying to get in as it only recognised to top centimetre of the screen so getting past the eula was a pain. I'm starting to think that it is a hardware fault so will try and arrange a replacement tomorrow :D :D :) :) :) :

Hope it isn't a hardware issue :P

Hope it isn't a hardware issue :D

I reflashed it this morning with 1.09 and installed multi touch visualiser (had to use droidexplorer to get past the eula) and it was still awful so I spoke to pcworld this morning and they said take it local store for a replacement, took it in and it worked flawlessly, fortunately they took long enough to work out what they should do that I got it bring up the errors so they said "come back when we have some in stock and we will replace it"

Guest jamesie

I had the same problem with mine, only 1" on left side of screen would respond to touch, it was worst when cold. Warming it up slightly (not baking it, but resting it my Underfloor heating which is 27°) would slowly bring it back to life. Fortunately since flashing 1.09 and keeping to stock I haven't had the issue for a week now :-)

Guest cultiv8ed

I'm not sure if it is a hardware issue. I managed to get mine working long enough to install clockworkmod into 1.09 and restore my R6 backup, I installed the calibration app into that and it now seems to be fine again (for the moment). I've been playing angry birds, surfing, etc and so far its stayed calibrated. I think its something after 1.06 that is causing the calibration to go crazy.

Guest warriorscot

Weird problem sounds hardware related. The build quality is awful in places it could be a loose or improperly soldered connection somewhere.

My vega has been with DSG since Monday last week and the replacement is currently on its way to me. What I had to do was call PCworld customer services and they sent an email to DSG home offices and arranged a collection. I would recommend contacting DSG directly as it would probably be quicker as the retailers themselves can't authorise replacements or collections for the vega over the phone DSG Contact List.If you contact the retailers over the phone they try to get you to talk to the tech guys for repair on a device they can't repair and so a lot of back and forth is involved in order to get it confirmed as unrepairable then authorised for replacement.

Have you made sure the screen is clean when you calibrate, if there is something on the screen that will trip the sensor then it will calibrate wrong.

Weird problem sounds hardware related. The build quality is awful in places it could be a loose or improperly soldered connection somewhere.

My vega has been with DSG since Monday last week and the replacement is currently on its way to me. What I had to do was call PCworld customer services and they sent an email to DSG home offices and arranged a collection. I would recommend contacting DSG directly as it would probably be quicker as the retailers themselves can't authorise replacements or collections for the vega over the phone DSG Contact List.If you contact the retailers over the phone they try to get you to talk to the tech guys for repair on a device they can't repair and so a lot of back and forth is involved in order to get it confirmed as unrepairable then authorised for replacement.

Have you made sure the screen is clean when you calibrate, if there is something on the screen that will trip the sensor then it will calibrate wrong.

I phoned the number on the myadventvega site and they said it was a code 5 item (they just give you a new machine) and that I could either arrange a pick up or I could take it to my nearest shop for a straight swap - the thing to be aware of (besides the fact that the shops don't have any) is that their system in the shops tells them that the thing to do is get you to phone the techguys and that if it is after 28days then it is a send off to repair but if you persist and get them to phone to find out what you should do they are then told to replace it ....

as for the problem yes definitely weird it also seems to make a difference with the angle that you hold it and if you change orientation, when misbehaving and you switch from portrait to landscape it doesn't pick up any touches at all. Some of the symptoms make it feel like a software issue but the fact that it seems to have gotten worse and that I can flash a stock 1.09 on it and still have the problem (whereas the majority of others don't) implies that it is a hardware thing and being an intermittent problem makes it a pain to diagnose...

Guest cultiv8ed
I phoned the number on the myadventvega site and they said it was a code 5 item (they just give you a new machine) and that I could either arrange a pick up or I could take it to my nearest shop for a straight swap - the thing to be aware of (besides the fact that the shops don't have any) is that their system in the shops tells them that the thing to do is get you to phone the techguys and that if it is after 28days then it is a send off to repair but if you persist and get them to phone to find out what you should do they are then told to replace it ....

as for the problem yes definitely weird it also seems to make a difference with the angle that you hold it and if you change orientation, when misbehaving and you switch from portrait to landscape it doesn't pick up any touches at all. Some of the symptoms make it feel like a software issue but the fact that it seems to have gotten worse and that I can flash a stock 1.09 on it and still have the problem (whereas the majority of others don't) implies that it is a hardware thing and being an intermittent problem makes it a pain to diagnose...

It will be interesting to see if a new one fixes it, or if the problem still persists with 1.08 onwards. I had exactly the same symptoms when changing orientation. The reason I still think it is software is that if you have a live wallpaper on, in some cases the wallpaper would register touches underneath the icons but the icons themselves wouldn't work. I'll keep playing with mine tonight to see if it breaks again.

Well, replaced the Vega, reflashed R8 and reinstalled the apps and this certainly seems much more responsive, I'm sure the screen is clearer - but most importantly it isn't picking up multiple touches with a single finger anymore !