Can't edit /system/ folder

Guest sj44k

Hi,

I want to edit my system folder, mainly because I want to edit the hosts file. However I just can't seem to get it to work. I'm on a rooted legend with paul's stock froyo rom & used his rooting guide.

What I tried:

Root explorer. Doesn't work, gives a error of not enough free space whenever I want to copy a file. Also deleting doesn't actually really work because after a reboot files just return.

adb shell: Just keeps giving me errors like cp: not found, wget: not found, push: not found etc. Or when i'm in the folder and want to do something directory is not empty.

Terminal app: Same errors.

So I googled and it seems adb sucks and you need busybox. So I download titanium backup and have it install busybox. Boot root and busybox are OK. Still same errors.

I'm doing thing while the phone is fully booted. I also tried from recovery mode (traingle screen) but than I can't get adb to connect.

What am I doing wrong or how can I fix this? There seem to be tons of people who can do this no problem and got all the commands working even without intstalling additional software. It seems my craptatstic Legend is the only one that doesn't want to play ball...

Guest borgfather
Hi,

I want to edit my system folder, mainly because I want to edit the hosts file. However I just can't seem to get it to work. I'm on a rooted legend with paul's stock froyo rom & used his rooting guide.

What I tried:

Root explorer. Doesn't work, gives a error of not enough free space whenever I want to copy a file. Also deleting doesn't actually really work because after a reboot files just return.

adb shell: Just keeps giving me errors like cp: not found, wget: not found, push: not found etc. Or when i'm in the folder and want to do something directory is not empty.

Terminal app: Same errors.

So I googled and it seems adb sucks and you need busybox. So I download titanium backup and have it install busybox. Boot root and busybox are OK. Still same errors.

I'm doing thing while the phone is fully booted. I also tried from recovery mode (traingle screen) but than I can't get adb to connect.

What am I doing wrong or how can I fix this? There seem to be tons of people who can do this no problem and got all the commands working even without intstalling additional software. It seems my craptatstic Legend is the only one that doesn't want to play ball...

As far as i Know the /system folder is mounted as Read Only

to edit this folder you have to remount it in read/write modus

sterkte er mee !!

groetjes

Well flashed the r4 legend rom and still the same s***. push: not found. cp: not found. Or directory not empty errors etc. How badword hard can it be to edit a system file? I'm a root user right? than why can't I do what I want?! Even if I wanted to delete the whole badword folder it shoud just let me!

I spend 3 days on this and getting the file in the folder is just impossible.

Well flashed the r4 legend rom and still the same s***. push: not found. cp: not found. Or directory not empty errors etc. How badword hard can it be to edit a system file? I'm a root user right? than why can't I do what I want?! Even if I wanted to delete the whole badword folder it shoud just let me!

I spend 3 days on this and getting the file in the folder is just impossible.

If you want to change system files when OS is running than you have to get your phone in S-OFF, cause system partitions are locked in all HTC phones by default(S-ON = security on).Here is link that may help you explain what am I talking about and here is the link to a tool, that will enable S-OFF, but read all the instructions very cerfully!!!

Thanks. However I did manage to make it work in a different way :D

If I boot into clockwork and make sure I mount the system partition manually I can edit the files :D

• 3 months later...
Guest snip123
Thanks. However I did manage to make it work in a different way :D

If I boot into clockwork and make sure I mount the system partition manually I can edit the files :D

Thanks. I wanted to do the same. Your method worked.