Cynanogen vs Current 2.2 Roms

Guest admanirv

Guest admanirv

Okay, i admit i didnt get the jist of cyanogen now but I'm slowly learning. A few other owners are confused too as to the pro's/cons of Cyanogen vs current custom 2.2 roms.

I'll try and populate this thread for new user wondering about cyanogen 7 for the blade. I have tried all three 2.2 roms on here.

I have just installed it and off to bed soon, but briefly.

1. You need to use Sebs 3.0.0.5 Clockwork recovery.

2. The rom is very neat, quite flashy looking and smooth - boy its quick and snappy! :D

3. Its gingerbread android 2.3 - something that ZTE would likely never release for the blade.

4. Its an optmised version of android so better in some areas/quicker.

5. Everything seem to work so far.

6. Bugs from android 2.2 could/have been fixed in 2.3

7. There are some wonderful extras/add on's as standard - for example the lock screen and notification area.

8. Is it worth updating over the other existing 2.2 roms - IMO yes, but time will tell.

Findings:

Camcorder doesnt seem to work.

Hope this is of some use for this moment in time, will update in the morning.

Thanks

Edited by admanirv

Guest tsddave

Thanks for this.

Personally I am happy with the Modaco r12 I am running right now but this could be interesting for the future once its all fully working.

One user reported the following:-

Don't really consider this an RC since some stuff still broken / slow / lol

- WiFi would disconnect and woudldn't find any APs

- Mobile data wouldn't work even with the correct APN

- My screen on / off animations have totally broken and refuse to work

- Scrolling without a stupid LWP is still slow and laggy

- Autobrightness values are incorrect

- System UI toolbar had a FC

- Had a random boot loop and had to pull the battery

Still a beta just had an RC label slapped onto it. boo.

Guest admanirv

Okay had more of a play with it.

It is very flash and customisable - you can alter many setttings, for example when you press the power button on/off when the phone is on its like an old TV.

Wifi is working fine for me.

Camcorder seems to work fine now.

GPRS etc works fine using an APN, using payasygo o2 simcard.

GPS, coruse position worked fine got a fix within 2-3 minutes.

Some games will not work unless installed to the phone memory.

Its definitely usable just with some minor issues.

Guest Xenon0816

IMO you can't compare the RC1 to the Froyo Roms we have here...

For example the Japanese Jellyfish is on Rls 9, this means there was a lot of bugfixing and tuning. It's nearly perfect now, that's why the development stopped for this rom...

CM is on the first release and it is still heavy in development...

The RC1 is just to test and find bugs, not to use it as your daily rom.

That's why you can't compare them!

Guest targetbsp
CM is on the first release and it is still heavy in development...

The RC1 is just to test and find bugs, not to use it as your daily rom.

It's labelled wrong then. :D Release Candidate generally means just that. It's a candidate for release.

Not only that, it says in post 1 it is stable for everyday use!

Not to undermine the developers. They;re doing a great job and this is clearly heading places. I just think they were a touch optimistic in their labelling. And really this post is just to contradict those who think everyone should instinctively 'know' it's a test rom - contrary to what the rom posting says.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest 90180360

Yeah, it's somehow false advertising. Back to JJ for a while :D

Edit: Or maybe I should finally give flibblesan's ROM a try.

Edited by 90180360

Guest DrEzkimo

yeah I think I got a bit caught up in the excitement of it all and probably its not the rom for me just yet.

as much as I love tinkering with this stuff I think I would be quite peeved to hit a major bug so will stick to my current beloved rom and watch the progress :D

Guest Rotmann
Thanks for this.

Personally I am happy with the Modaco r12 I am running right now but this could be interesting for the future once its all fully working.

One user reported the following:-

Don't really consider this an RC since some stuff still broken / slow / lol

- WiFi would disconnect and woudldn't find any APs

- Mobile data wouldn't work even with the correct APN

- My screen on / off animations have totally broken and refuse to work

- Scrolling without a stupid LWP is still slow and laggy

- Autobrightness values are incorrect

- System UI toolbar had a FC

- Had a random boot loop and had to pull the battery

Still a beta just had an RC label slapped onto it. boo.

The user revised his post, after a restart almost all of the points were obsolete.

It's labelled wrong then. :D Release Candidate generally means just that. It's a candidate for release.

Not only that, it says in post 1 it is stable for everyday use!

Not to undermine the developers. They;re doing a great job and this is clearly heading places. I just think they were a touch optimistic in their labelling. And really this post is just to contradict those who think everyone should instinctively 'know' it's a test rom - contrary to what the rom posting says.

I actually use it as a daily rom, with the little fixes that came today (screen blank during a call solved with "just shake free"), it's awesome. I would never go back to 2.2, sorry. It still has some little niggles but it's 99% usable as the most bugs have fixes and work-arounds found by users today.

Guest targetbsp
I actually use it as a daily rom, with the little fixes that came today (screen blank during a call solved with "just shake free"), it's awesome. I would never go back to 2.2, sorry. It still has some little niggles but it's 99% usable as the most bugs have fixes and work-arounds found by users today.

"today" being the operative word. I am half way through putting it back on at this minute. Until that shake app suggestion, there was just no way this was useful as *a phone*. :D

99% usable is not useful when the 1% issue is it's inability to say, navigate through an automated telephone switchboard!

I'm a software developer. I use unfinished and buggy products all the time but I do expect my phone to be able to hang up phone calls - at least most of the time. :D There can be as many bugs as they like with the rest of it and I'll put up with them fine.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Rotmann
The only overall downside to the current cyanogen builds is the rom speed. It's noticeably slower :D

Other than that it's better than 2.2

Try ADW Ex and disable the wallpaper hack, it flyes! :D

Guest aequalszero

It's both fascinating and and exciting to watch the work that goes on here, especially on the 'cutting edge' with protects like Cyanogen 7 (thread title is spelt wrong btw). Android 2.3.2 comes to Blade! Crazy!

I'm holding off a little while longer until this ROM really finds its feet - I'm just glad that there are enthusiastic modders still in active development on this phone and will enjoy the anticipation of future treats to come! Their work really is incredible.

Guest HCDR.Jacob
Okay had more of a play with it.

It is very flash and customisable - you can alter many setttings, for example when you press the power button on/off when the phone is on its like an old TV.

Wifi is working fine for me.

Camcorder seems to work fine now.

GPRS etc works fine using an APN, using payasygo o2 simcard.

GPS, coruse position worked fine got a fix within 2-3 minutes.

Some games will not work unless installed to the phone memory.

Its definitely usable just with some minor issues.

I'm sorry, but anybody with these issues is doing something VERY wrong...

Guest admanirv
I'm sorry, but anybody with these issues is doing something VERY wrong...

I dont have these issues, im stating the following function work fine apart from some apps located on the SD card.

Apart from that its a great ROM for an RC1.

Guest Len Ash
I dont have these issues, im stating the following function work fine apart from some apps located on the SD card.

Apart from that its a great ROM for an RC1.

WiFi reconnects are very poor. As bad as old 2.1 custom builds. Needs Blade WiFi fix (gasp) to help reconnect.

(In fact, JJ9 is the ONLY ROM that reconnects absolutely 100%)

Does anyone else find that the general homescreen UI is slower than some of the 2.2 roms even with the same launcher

It definately has a gaming performance boost - but the phone feels less snappy to me!