CM7 Tweaks, mods and fixes

Guest Richard_Arkless

Guest Richard_Arkless

Introduction

As cm7 has just come out officially for this great phone, people are finding a slew of tweaks, mods and fixes all over the place and people asking the same question over and over ago and are finding it difficult (I didnt know people found it so difficult to sift through 28 ish pages or use the search function) so this will keep it all in one organised place

So people if you find any then post a reply and ill put it in the 3 categories below

NOTE: I am still on 2.2 until the major bugs get fixed, so these fixes may or may not work for you

Tweaks

ADW launcher is too slow so replace with either the gingerbread launcher found in the market or found here, if it doesnt work then first try this or you could use some other launcher

or if you want to continue to use ADW then this tweak found here might work

To speed it up a bit higher up the compcache and heapsize under settings, cm settings and performance

Mods

There is some themes now out for cm7 found here (alex1alex2alex3alex4 originally found it), more here

Fixes

Cant flash rom, you need to first install the 3.0.0.x clockworkmod recovery found here

Screen goes black after certain amount of time during a call, this fix here will temporarily fix it, or maybe this one here which keeps the screen on even when put to your ear

No gapps, this is because they have to be installed after flashing the cm7 rom found here

No auto-brightness, fix found here Fixed in nightly 2

No wifi tethering, theres a 3rd party app that will do wifi tethering and it works, use that until the official wifi tethering gets fixed, can be found here

Some apps crash when stored on the sd card, for now just move them back to internal memory

Camera is black and white, fix here

Conclusion

These are all the fixes I have found to any lingering bugs, please go here and vote

Also keep an eye out here for any nightlies that get released, they may already contain these fixes and more (NOTE NIGHTLIES ARE NOT MEANT FOR DAILY USAGE SO STRICTLY FOR TESTERS OR PEOPLE WHO WANT THEIR PHONE TO EXPLODE BECAUSE IT ISNT RELEASE READY)

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Fixes

Cant flash rom, you need to first install tom's modded clockworkmod recovery found here

No, you don't. Either the latest unmodified 3.0.0.5 or the latest 3.0.0.6 work fine to flash CM7RC1.

Guest Richard_Arkless
No, you don't. Either the latest unmodified 3.0.0.5 or the latest 3.0.0.6 work fine to flash CM7RC1.

Im just going through the thread and finding anything so if you got the link to those, ill include it in the op

edit nvm just replaced the link to the recovery that is made by Sebastian404 which supposedly works with cm7

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Richard_Arkless, nice job, now we wait the power rc 2. But take your time.

Nice Phone, powerfull rom. This is just begin of new era computer... I lissen 3.0 here, Honeycomb? Future CM8? I Hope...

Guest skymera

Just got a phone call.

It rung once, screen went blank, it then vibrated constantly and eventually rebooted.

Trying to find a fix

EDIT: Disabled in-call touch UI and put the phone to my face and pulled away several times. Screen came back on.

The reboot seemed to fix the weird call bug reboot thing.

Edited by skymera

Guest Rotmann

Good initiative Richard, wanted to make this yesterday but no time. You should link to here. too so that people vote for found bugs.

Also the auto brightness tip does not work, gonna open an issue I think, tried all stuff but did not succeed.

Guest Richard_Arkless
Good initiative Richard, wanted to make this yesterday but no time. You should link to here. too so that people vote for found bugs.

Also the auto brightness tip does not work, gonna open an issue I think, tried all stuff but did not succeed.

Done :D

Guest iakinthos
how do you get the market back??

No gapps, this is because they have to be installed after flashing the cm7 rom found here

You have to install the gapps where including the market

Edited by iakinthos

Guest targetbsp

An alternate suggestion for the screen not responding after a call. I am aware of Just Shake fix - I just don't like it because it drains the battery a lot. :D

If you use the No Lock app, the screen can be brought back to life (by pressing the power button) after a call. This doesn't help during a call so you can't use the dialpad after bringing the phone to your ear. You can, as per a previous suggestion by someone in another thread, enable hanging up via the power button under settings accessibility.

Now you're in a position where if the other person hangs up, you just need to press power to recover the phone. If you want to hang up, press power to hang up and then press it again to recover the phone.

If you like the lockscreen, and have tasker, you can turn the lockscreen off on phone offhook and back on on phone idle.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest oh!dougal

I'm following CM7 with interest, but there are a few reasons I'm not running it yet ....

The Proximity Sensor

This is not strictly about 'fixing' it, or even a viable workaround, but about better understanding what is going on.

Could someone (with a working build :D ) test to see what happens if you set the display timeout to "30 minutes" ? (so that ordinarily you'd be putting it to sleep by pressing the power button)

And then make a 'long' (three minutes or so) phone call, and see if the screen comes back after you finish the call.

I've got this idea that the problem might be with the way that the screen is being allowed to go to sleep during a call.

I think that when the screen 'sleeps' normally, the whole of the screen circuit board (backlight, screen, touch and sensors) is going off.

And it sounds like that is happening if the call is long enough ... whereas we need the sensor kept working to re-wake the screen.

The blank screen after a call does NOT occur when the phone is on usb/charge.

But we know that that the phone NEVER goes to sleep while on charge!

Hence the suggestion to try making the display timeout really long, and see if that keeps the proximity sensor awake.

I think its worth trying, if only to eliminate this hypothesis.

Guest Frankish
I'm following CM7 with interest, but there are a few reasons I'm not running it yet ....

The Proximity Sensor

This is not strictly about 'fixing' it, or even a viable workaround, but about better understanding what is going on.

Could someone (with a working build :D ) test to see what happens if you set the display timeout to "30 minutes" ? (so that ordinarily you'd be putting it to sleep by pressing the power button)

And then make a 'long' (three minutes or so) phone call, and see if the screen comes back after you finish the call.

I've got this idea that the problem might be with the way that the screen is being allowed to go to sleep during a call.

I think that when the screen 'sleeps' normally, the whole of the screen circuit board (backlight, screen, touch and sensors) is going off.

And it sounds like that is happening if the call is long enough ... whereas we need the sensor kept working to re-wake the screen.

The blank screen after a call does NOT occur when the phone is on usb/charge.

But we know that that the phone NEVER goes to sleep while on charge!

Hence the suggestion to try making the display timeout really long, and see if that keeps the proximity sensor awake.

I think its worth trying, if only to eliminate this hypothesis.

Will give that a whack once i've stopped messing about!

Guest targetbsp

My screen timeout is 10 minutes when my launcher is not the active app (so would be 10 minutes on the dialler) and unfortunately it's still broke in calls lasting well under 10 minutes. :D