Noobquestion about the backup you do in clockwork.

Guest Poodha

I'm thinking about installing the Cyanogen release, but seems like it's not entirely stable yet so I might have to go back to my earlier JJ(since I use it as a main phone). If I reinstall the previous backup, will it bring back the phone exactly as it was? All widgets intact on the homescreens, all data in apps, theme downloaded etc. Will EVERYTHING be as it was?

And question number two, is nandroidbackup the same as the total backup I did via Recovery Manager(which then went into clockwork recovery to do a backup)?

Guest targetbsp

yes and yes. :D

Bare in mind that if you use a rom for a while before going back to an old one then you'll lose any data changes you made in the new rom so if you make any substantial changes in the new rom (like several years of game dev story or something!) it'd be a good idea to back it up in titanium and restore it after you restore your rom backup.

yes and yes. :D

Bare in mind that if you use a rom for a while before going back to an old one then you'll lose any data changes you made in the new rom so if you make any substantial changes in the new rom (like several years of game dev story or something!) it'd be a good idea to back it up in titanium and restore it after you restore your rom backup.

Thanks for the quick answer! And had no intention of making several years of game dev story on it, just wanted to try out cyanogen(amazing that there is a gingerbread already out for the Blade)but thanks for the headsup. =)

Guest mvheuver

I have a similar question, but I am confused about the different versions of Clockwork. As far as I can see in order to upgrade from JJ9 to CM7, we first need to upgrade Clockwork to 3.0.5 or 6. But how do we then make sure we can flash JJ back in its original state if it turns out CM7 is still a bit too unstable for daily use? I thought JJ is not compatible with the newer version of Clockwork. Any help appreciated as I will probably give it a try one of these days, but I want to make sure it's easy to go back to JJ.

Guest jurrasstoil
I have a similar question, but I am confused about the different versions of Clockwork. As far as I can see in order to upgrade from JJ9 to CM7, we first need to upgrade Clockwork to 3.0.5 or 6. But how do we then make sure we can flash JJ back in its original state if it turns out CM7 is still a bit too unstable for daily use? I thought JJ is not compatible with the newer version of Clockwork. Any help appreciated as I will probably give it a try one of these days, but I want to make sure it's easy to go back to JJ.

i had CMW 2.5.1.8 and JJ rls6 running, installed CMW 3.0.0.5, made a backup, installed CM7, found that it had still too many quirks and drained battery like hell, so i just restored my JJ backup w/o any problems.

Guest mvheuver
i had CMW 2.5.1.8 and JJ rls6 running, installed CMW 3.0.0.5, made a backup, installed CM7, found that it had still too many quirks and drained battery like hell, so i just restored my JJ backup w/o any problems.

OK, thanks for that. So my present backups in 2.5 are of no use, I'll try your method and do the backup in 3.0.0.5, but I will probably wait a few days anyway until some of the quirks have been ironed out. Still tempted though, guess I'd better get used to the constant flashing (potential new hobby, sad gits we are! :D ).

Guest jurrasstoil

not sure how useful old backups are, but doing a backup of the latest state seems to be the smartest choice anyways.

If you really wanna recover an old backup and it doesn't work with 3.0.0.5 you can still reflash an older CWM.

Guest mvheuver
not sure how useful old backups are, but doing a backup of the latest state seems to be the smartest choice anyways.

If you really wanna recover an old backup and it doesn't work with 3.0.0.5 you can still reflash an older CWM.

Yeah, you're right of course, I don't really have a need for older backups, was just thinking aloud (i.e. the need to do a backup under the new CWM, not the old one). Anyway, looking forward to trying out CM7 at last, although JJ serves me just fine, actually (I'm concerned about the reported battery life too).