CM7 WIFI draining battery.?

Guest mr_bridger

Guest mr_bridger

All, just a quick question, dont know if its just me, or if its happening to others...

i charged up the phone yesterday, took it off charge, and then havent touched it since..

hit the power button today to see battery nearly empty...

take a look.....

i noticed that when i power it on after sleeping, it shows both the wifi symbol, AND 3G symbol... seems like itys not turning off or somthing? to get it working i have to switch WIFI off, and back on again

any thoughts? (sorry if this has been discussed, but i couldnt find anything about it)

Cheers

Ross.

post-774028-1298221471_thumb.png

Guest fonix232

Actually if you would be so kind to switch off WiFi when it isn't needed, it wouldn't deplete the phone :D

Also, I can't see the 3G icon, if you mean the signal strength display, then I tell you you're not connected to mobile data.

And, yours is a great example how good CM7 manages wifi: 81% of the battery was used for WiFi, and you've been for 21 and a half hour on battery, and still not depleted! With the stock ZTE ROMs, WiFi depleted a fully charged battery in a few hours (usually 4-5).

Guest Rotmann

Now that's excellent battery life with Wi-Fi always on! :D Wi-Fi is only meant to be on when you use it because as on any device it eats the battery. For sync, mobile data is battery friendly.

Edited by Rotmann

Guest fonix232
Now that's excellent battery life with Wi-Fi always on! :D Wi-Fi is only meant to be on when you use it because as on any device it eats the battery. For sync, mobile data is battery friendly.

Actually, my old Nokia 5800 could live for 2 days in a row with wifi on and connected. But the screen was eating the juice like hell.

Now you can see how surprised I was, when I got my G1, and it depleted over a night with wifi enabled :D

Actually, my old Nokia 5800 could live for 2 days in a row with wifi on and connected. But the screen was eating the juice like hell.

Now you can see how surprised I was, when I got my G1, and it depleted over a night with wifi enabled :D

Yeah, my old 5800 had a really great battery time, too.

It's the only thing I miss with my new android blade - leaving the phone uncharged for 7 days..

Guest mr_bridger
Check the issue tracker. If it hasn't been posted then open an issue. The developers do not pay attention to any threads here.

i did look, but couldnt see anything to do with wifi.. may do some more testing first.

Actually if you would be so kind to switch off WiFi when it isn't needed, it wouldn't deplete the phone :D

Also, I can't see the 3G icon, if you mean the signal strength display, then I tell you you're not connected to mobile data.

And, yours is a great example how good CM7 manages wifi: 81% of the battery was used for WiFi, and you've been for 21 and a half hour on battery, and still not depleted! With the stock ZTE ROMs, WiFi depleted a fully charged battery in a few hours (usually 4-5).

yeah by this point i had switched wifi off and back on again. so 3G icon had gone. will do another screen shot next time it happens

but shoudlnt wifi sleep whan the screen is off? sure it did on other roms ive used..

Edited by mr_bridger

Guest Rotmann

Yeah, my old 5800 had a really great battery time, too.

It's the only thing I miss with my new android blade - leaving the phone uncharged for 7 days..

We are talking about REAL smartphones here, not pseudo-smartphones with rubbish screens, software and hardware :D

Guest fonix232
We are talking about REAL smartphones here, not pseudo-smartphones with rubbish screens, software and hardware :D

How you DARE calling Symbian a pseudo-smartphone? Without it, there would be no Symbian, iOS, and many other stuff! It could be still the best smartphone OS, if the stupid leaders of Symbian Developer Team wouldn't be such douchebags. They actually planned a PROPER 3D UI back in 2003! But the project was stopped sadly. Just like so many other stuffs.

Guest shadowninty

Maybe my phone was odd, but my 5530 would die way quicker than my Blade o.0

Besides, my Symbain didnt have several pages of HS widgets, sensors on, autoupdating apps, wi-fi scan on...

Guest fonix232
Maybe my phone was odd, but my 5530 would die way quicker than my Blade o.0

Besides, my Symbain didnt have several pages of HS widgets, sensors on, autoupdating apps, wi-fi scan on...

Yes, the frontend isn't so great like on Android (neither support or being Open Source...), but it is way better than s***. iOS is s*** from this angle, and maybe Bada, but Symbian is the grandfather of all smartphone OS's.

Guest mELIANTE
Yes, the frontend isn't so great like on Android (neither support or being Open Source...), but it is way better than s***. iOS is s*** from this angle, and maybe Bada, but Symbian is the grandfather of all smartphone OS's.

And still a great mobile OS. It's just ugly.

Guest Rotmann
How you DARE calling Symbian a pseudo-smartphone? Without it, there would be no Symbian, iOS, and many other stuff! It could be still the best smartphone OS, if the stupid leaders of Symbian Developer Team wouldn't be such douchebags. They actually planned a PROPER 3D UI back in 2003! But the project was stopped sadly. Just like so many other stuffs.

Oh yeah it's rubbish, sorry. I've had like every mobile OS, from Symbian to WM to webOS (now this is a brilliant OS!), iOS and now Android (don't care care about bada and meego). Symbian is the last one I would choose. If it wouldn't be rubbish, Nokia wouldn't have "abandoned it" to WP7. Do note I did not call symbian as "rubbish" taken apart from context but coupled with the crappy hardware.

Edited by Rotmann

Guest mELIANTE
Oh yeah it's rubbish, sorry. I've had like every mobile OS, from Symbian to WM to webOS (now this is a brilliant OS!), iOS and now Android (don't care care about bada and meego). Symbian is the last one I would choose. If it wouldn't be rubbish, Nokia wouldn't have "abandoned it" to WP7. Do note I did not call symbian as "rubbish" taken apart from context but coupled with the crappy hardware.

Nokia abandoned it because people like bells and whistles... And those symbian has not...

Guest skymera
All, just a quick question, dont know if its just me, or if its happening to others...

i charged up the phone yesterday, took it off charge, and then havent touched it since..

hit the power button today to see battery nearly empty...

take a look.....

i noticed that when i power it on after sleeping, it shows both the wifi symbol, AND 3G symbol... seems like itys not turning off or somthing? to get it working i have to switch WIFI off, and back on again

any thoughts? (sorry if this has been discussed, but i couldnt find anything about it)

Cheers

Ross.

If you tap the graph you can get some more deets.

But I see a big blue bar there which means it's not sleeping.

Check your WiFi sleep policy.

topic title:

CM7 WIFI draining battery.?

keep this ontopic.

No OS battle please.

CM7 Daily 8, WiFi does use less battery than mobile when browsing with Opera Mini. Battery consumption is very good, I am playing with the phone since this morning, with pauses while walking with my kids, and it is at 72%. (2 h 56 m on battery according to battery stats.)

(My old Nokia 5110 ran two weeks with one charge, so it is pointless to talk about other phones like non-smartphones and old style smartphones.)

Edited by gusthy