Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (natty) on Vega (update 13/4)

Guest hybr1d

Guest vgrade

Nice one hybr1d,

I found the root cause of why events were not being reported properly.

The kernel was reporting pointer location as ABS_MT_POSITION_X/ABS_MT_POSITION_Y instead of ABS_X/ABS_Y

The new names are for multi-touch devices but evdev 2.2.5 doesn't understand that

I have patched/recompiled the evdev driver to use the new axes and it is working!!

Guest Michael_llewellyn
I found the root cause of why events were not being reported properly.

The kernel was reporting pointer location as ABS_MT_POSITION_X/ABS_MT_POSITION_Y instead of ABS_X/ABS_Y

The new names are for multi-touch devices but evdev 2.2.5 doesn't understand that

I have patched/recompiled the evdev driver to use the new axes and it is working!!

Well done mate!

Are you using an xorg.conf to configure touch or are you using hotplug rules?

Guest simonta

Off topic. If the honourable members feel this should go somewhere else, please shout and I'll move over.

I'm ditching Ubuntu on my PC. I've only ever used Ubuntu for *nix (not counting Android of course!) but over time, it's got flakier and flakier and more bloated than my belly :D

Just upgraded to Meerkat and also added a second monitor. nVidia Geoforce. Disabled the community drivers, installed the nVidia ones and the settings panel but cannot for the life of me get the desktop to span and had some really weird bugs with window placement along the way. Have had to reset the PC because the moust position and cursor click have no meaningful correlation and had to rebuild twice. Now it's hanging on the Ubuntu splash screen on boot. Reminds me of Windows ME!

Anyway, point of the question is there are some good *nix heads in this thread. I'm looking for a distro that's easy for Mrs T to do her banking and email and meaty enough for me to compile and build apps. Not fussed about Gnome or KDE. Any recommendations? The PC is mighty powerful so minimum specs don't factor in. I'm looking for dual monitor support on nVidia that actually works and is easy to configure. Sick and tired of apt get and compiling modules.

Cheers all

Guest Michael_llewellyn

If you are willing to get your hands a bit dirty then have a look at Arch Linux. It can be whatever you want it to be.

But you are right, this is off topic :D

Guest hybr1d
Well done mate!

Are you using an xorg.conf to configure touch or are you using hotplug rules?

I'm using an xorg.conf since I have to have one anyway for the tegra display driver

Guest hybr1d

As of about 1hr ago I have ubuntu running with working wifi, touchscreen, accelerated X drivers, unity-2d and even HDMI output.

An updated rootfs is going up on my website for testing.

Guest liamb1234

Hi guys,

This all sounds really good i just have a few questions. Not to sound cheeky but how long will it be before we have an install package workable for dummies/semi skilled like me? Also will it be possible to dual boot from the microsd card in use?

Again not to sound impatient or cheeky just really looking forward to see the finished article!

Guest boboskins

Loving the idea of this. Will hopefully find some time (& courage) to give this a go.

Few Q's before I jump in:

Would it be possible to do the install onto a USB memory stick? I have loads of these and they have much higher speed than the sdcard I have in the vega (cannot find any fast 32gb cards - at least not at a reasonable price).

With the recent improvements reported by Hydr1d - are we looking at gpu accelerated video (eg VLC). So far my only real disapointment with the vega is that I cannot play decent quality video from my NAS.

B

Guest RielN
Loving the idea of this. Will hopefully find some time (& courage) to give this a go.

Few Q's before I jump in:

Would it be possible to do the install onto a USB memory stick? I have loads of these and they have much higher speed than the sdcard I have in the vega (cannot find any fast 32gb cards - at least not at a reasonable price).

With the recent improvements reported by Hydr1d - are we looking at gpu accelerated video (eg VLC). So far my only real disapointment with the vega is that I cannot play decent quality video from my NAS.

B

Yes, but you would have to recompile the file like explained in first post.

I am going to try the easy method now, flashing it from linux. Flashing back the normal loader should boot android, since I didn't touch Android filesystem, right?

: isn't it possible to make a dualboot?

Guest RielN

I am going to try the easy method now, flashing it from linux. Flashing back the normal loader should boot android, since I didn't touch Android filesystem, right?

* I get an Couldnot update ICEauthority file /var/lib/gdm/.ICEauthority

* Struggling to get the keyboard back to non-fullscreen. Ubuntu seems to be running just fine btw!

* Also a sanity error with gconf but I just ignered it.

* I do not seem to have any WiFi...

Moving the screens around goes pretty smooth...

Guest RaYmAn84
As of about 1hr ago I have ubuntu running with working wifi, touchscreen, accelerated X drivers, unity-2d and even HDMI output.

An updated rootfs is going up on my website for testing.

That sounds fantastic! Good job!

Did you have to do anything special to get nvrm_daemon running on vega? I am working on a similar thing for the Notion Ink Adam, which is very close in terms of hardware (Both are malata rebranded tablets).

Whenever running the linux4tegra nvrm_daemon, it breaks sdcard access, which is a tad unfortunate when you are running off sdcard :D

Have you had that issue on vega?

Guest hybr1d

I use flash_image to boot back/forth between ubuntu and android.

To do this I copied the flash_image binary and the android boot.img over to my install and then can just run 'flash_image boot boot.img' to boot back to android.

I do the same from android to boot to ubuntu (using my linux kernel instead though :D )

Guest hybr1d
That sounds fantastic! Good job!

Did you have to do anything special to get nvrm_daemon running on vega? I am working on a similar thing for the Notion Ink Adam, which is very close in terms of hardware (Both are malata rebranded tablets).

Whenever running the linux4tegra nvrm_daemon, it breaks sdcard access, which is a tad unfortunate when you are running off sdcard :D

Have you had that issue on vega?

I am just running nvrm_daemon from /etc/rc.local

It hasn't affected sdcard access for me so I'm not sure what is happening on the adam

Guest hybr1d
Sound works? Detects the card but do not get it to work.

Any ideas?

I hadn't really tested that so I just went and had a try :-)

Nope - no sound as yet

Looks like the kernel detects the device, but nothing is coming out.

I'll have a look at that soon

Guest RaYmAn84
I am just running nvrm_daemon from /etc/rc.local

It hasn't affected sdcard access for me so I'm not sure what is happening on the adam

Damn, I was really hoping for some magic :(

Any chance you can get me a dmesg log from booting linux with nvrm_daemon on vega?

Also, the last bit that might help is a nice "strace -f -t -o nvrm_daemon.log /usr/sbin/nvrm_daemon", e.g. an IO trace of nvrm daemon on a working vega :D (of course, this means disabling nvrm_daemon from running at boot and disabling gdm, so it's actually possible to run this command :D)

I've been working on this for a few weeks now and I've been struggling with the sdcard issue most of the time. With some luck, these data might give some insight into the actual differences that makes it work on vega and not adam/gtab!

Good job though! :(

Guest hybr1d
Damn, I was really hoping for some magic :D

Any chance you can get me a dmesg log from booting linux with nvrm_daemon on vega?

Also, the last bit that might help is a nice "strace -f -t -o nvrm_daemon.log /usr/sbin/nvrm_daemon", e.g. an IO trace of nvrm daemon on a working vega :D (of course, this means disabling nvrm_daemon from running at boot and disabling gdm, so it's actually possible to run this command B))

I've been working on this for a few weeks now and I've been struggling with the sdcard issue most of the time. With some luck, these data might give some insight into the actual differences that makes it work on vega and not adam/gtab!

Good job though! :(

I have attached the strace output as nvrm_daemon.log.gz

Hopefully it will help :(

nvrm_daemon.log.gz

Guest hybr1d
* I get an Couldnot update ICEauthority file /var/lib/gdm/.ICEauthority

You should be able to just remove that file and restart. I'll take it out of the root image

* Struggling to get the keyboard back to non-fullscreen. Ubuntu seems to be running just fine btw!

It is being made fullscreen by maximus - but I 'thought' I had put an exception for onboard into maximus's config

To check this run 'gconf-editor' and look for 'apps/maximus'. In there you can add onboard to the exclude_class

* Also a sanity error with gconf but I just ignered it.

Probably related to the ICE error

* I do not seem to have any WiFi...

That should be working.

If it fails for you try running:

$ sudo restart network-manager

If that still fails then try the following (which will remove/re-load the wlan module)

$ sudo -s

# rmmod ar6000

# modprobe ar6000

# restart network-manager

Moving the screens around goes pretty smooth...

Guest cuttysark76

Hello, I own a ZTE vodafone 945 and I know it doesn't have enough power to deal with Ubuntu...

But I was wondering if when you are running Ubuntu, can you get a full hardware list/description/resources from your tablet?

My utopia/idea is creating a Universal ROM kitchen.

Just imagine:

A small (dual boot) ubuntu based hardware info collector

+

An repository with all known android hardware and drivers

+

AOSP

+

A web interface for customization (Themes, Apps and all the user imput information needed (screen resolution, Ram, Rom, screen size, Collor depth, touchscreen capacitive, resistive, etc)

+

Compile everything

Guest the_corvus
I use flash_image to boot back/forth between ubuntu and android.

To do this I copied the flash_image binary and the android boot.img over to my install and then can just run 'flash_image boot boot.img' to boot back to android.

I do the same from android to boot to ubuntu (using my linux kernel instead though :D )

Be carefull... you are writing a flash device, not designed to be writed many times (dont remenber... but i think like 1000 is a good number). You can get a real brick (no way to fix it) if you reflash so many times.

The only way i see to get dual boot is to get bootloader.bin sources so we can make some kind of menu to select what kernel to boot.

Corvus

Guest Michael_llewellyn
Be carefull... you are writing a flash device, not designed to be writed many times (dont remenber... but i think like 1000 is a good number). You can get a real brick (no way to fix it) if you reflash so many times.

The only way i see to get dual boot is to get bootloader.bin sources so we can make some kind of menu to select what kernel to boot.

Corvus

These concerns about flash storage have been knocking around for years and asofyet theoretical estimates about the life of such devices have been wildly off-mark.

That said I do agree that a dual boot solution would be better in the long run