Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (natty) on Vega (update 13/4)

Guest hybr1d

Guest kaostheory

mkbootimg --kernel zImage --ramdisk initrd.img-2.6.32-custom --cmdline "root=INSERT BOOT DEVICE HERE rootdelay=5 rw mem=448M@0M

nvmem=64M@448M vmalloc=192M init=/sbin/init video=tegrafb console=tty0,115200n8 usbcore.old_scheme_first=1 mtdparts=tegra_nand:2048K@6784K(misc),5120K@9344K(recovery),8192K@14976K(boot),1

496K@23680K(system),32768K@146688K(cache),4096K@179968K(staging),339200K@184576(

serdata)"

-o linux-kern.img

/dev/mmcblk3p2 = 2nd partition

Edited by kaostheory

Guest raz0r38
mkbootimg --kernel zImage --ramdisk initrd.img-2.6.32-custom --cmdline "root=INSERT BOOT DEVICE HERE rootdelay=5 rw mem=448M@0M

nvmem=64M@448M vmalloc=192M init=/sbin/init video=tegrafb console=tty0,115200n8 usbcore.old_scheme_first=1 mtdparts=tegra_nand:2048K@6784K(misc),5120K@9344K(recovery),8192K@14976K(boot),1

496K@23680K(system),32768K@146688K(cache),4096K@179968K(staging),339200K@184576(

serdata)"

-o linux-kern.img

where the paste? :)

How to compile?

Please tell the whole video with. (bing translator)

Edited by raz0r38

Guest liamb1234
It's a bit complicated. You may struggle if you have no clue.

As for will it remove android, depends what you mean by that.

Will it remove the android internal partition? No.

Will it remove the android boot img? Yes.

Will it remove your android data from the sd card? If you let it.

Zeb

Ok im guessing this means u can invoke/load either os from within each other?!? Is there any chance of any one making a video, explaing it fot us divys step by step!??

Thanks

Guest Zebrahead
I'm not sure whether there's been any progress wrt the bootloader, but you can use the flash_image utility provided in the CWM sticky to flash the android and linux boot images from the other patrtition.

For example, put your linux image into the droid partition and android imagine in the linux partition (each with a copy of the flash_image binary). From there, you can just invoke

'flash_image boot <droid/linux boot img>; reboot'

And you can switch between them without the use of an external device.

Good luck,

Zeb ^^

Ok im guessing this means u can invoke/load either os from within each other?!? Is there any chance of any one making a video, explaing it fot us divys step by !step??

Thanks

That's all it is, it doesn't really warrant a video ^^

Zeb

Guest little_mumford

Hey,

Has anyone tried to flash the ubuntu boot image to the recovery sector and boot ubuntu by going into recovery mode using the andoid app??

I have seen this done for the Adam tablet.

Stu

• 2 weeks later...
Guest glococo

Hi,

Is sound and BT still unsupported ?

Can install any app from USStore ? Or have to compile each one ?

(Is this project dead ?)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest anotherstuart
I'm not sure whether there's been any progress wrt the bootloader, but you can use the flash_image utility provided in the CWM sticky to flash the android and linux boot images from the other patrtition.

For example, put your linux image into the droid partition and android imagine in the linux partition (each with a copy of the flash_image binary). From there, you can just invoke

'flash_image boot <droid/linux boot img>; reboot'

And you can switch between them without the use of an external device.

Good luck,

Zeb ^^

Well, this isn't dead for me. here is a little record of what I have been doing (and what i want to do).

I followed the instructions (more or less) in the first post to get Ubuntu onto my vega.

I have created a CWM file (containing only a script and the linux-kern boot image to load it) which I can run from CWM recovery getting Android to boot to CWM. That gets me from Android to Linux painlessly.

I have flash_image and the corvus5 boot image (my usual Android ROM) in the root of the Ubuntu and have a two line shell script 'sudo /flash_image boot /corvus5boot.img' and 'sudo reboot'. I invoke this to get from Ubuntu back to Android.

Cool.

My wireless keyboard is working fine with ubuntu. What i want to do now is to get my wireless mouse to work as well [anyone any clues???]

I am now going to rework the ubuntu so that it is minimalist, maybe jwm or another window manager with abiword (my main reason for wanting this) maybe smplayer (?), but able to mount nfs shares and usb data sticks with little hassle.

Good stuff folks!

Guest Zebrahead
Well, this isn't dead for me. here is a little record of what I have been doing (and what i want to do).

I followed the instructions (more or less) in the first post to get Ubuntu onto my vega.

I have created a CWM file (containing only a script and the linux-kern boot image to load it) which I can run from CWM recovery getting Android to boot to CWM. That gets me from Android to Linux painlessly.

I have flash_image and the corvus5 boot image (my usual Android ROM) in the root of the Ubuntu and have a two line shell script 'sudo /flash_image boot /corvus5boot.img' and 'sudo reboot'. I invoke this to get from Ubuntu back to Android.

Cool.

My wireless keyboard is working fine with ubuntu. What i want to do now is to get my wireless mouse to work as well [anyone any clues???]

I am now going to rework the ubuntu so that it is minimalist, maybe jwm or another window manager with abiword (my main reason for wanting this) maybe smplayer (?), but able to mount nfs shares and usb data sticks with little hassle.

Good stuff folks!

I've also been working on it and I've kinda done parts of what you wanted to do.

I wanted to start from scratch, I borrowed the kernel provided here (with plans to build my own once everything is working).

You can build a 10.10 filesystem image, I built an image with nothing but wicd and ubuntu-minimal (gdm etc can be added from the tty shell). I've built touchscreen drivers and they work, but it works as a mouse (as in, touching the screen moves the mouse with respect to it's current position, rather than point of contact).

As far as I'm concerned everything works on my build now. I've not tested audio or bluetooth, but bluetooth isn't a big thing for me and I have android for any media. With respect to switching from android to ubuntu and back, you can run flash_image from and android shell (so you don't have to use clockwork), and mounting boot from ubuntu will allow you to flash your android kernel (see /etc/local.rc in the rootfs provided here to mount boot).

I'm using xmonad as my WM, it works very well as it's nice and lightweight ^^ (It's also my WM of choice ^^).

I don't know how much I'll be carrying on with this, mostly because given android and my current ubuntu build, everything works. That being said, I'll happily give advice or lend a hand if anyone has any questions - feel free to PM.

Zeb

Guest Panayioti

Cool.

Good stuff folks!

Could you upload the ubuntu CWM file please it would be mich appreciated.?

Guest anotherstuart

I didn't seem to be able to get the boot flash working from the android shell (using gscript) for some reason even having it set as super user which is why I went for the CWM option.

I'll have a look at your WM - as long as it gets abiword working then I'm happy. Then I think all that remains is the wi-fi mouse, which will hopefully be pretty easy.

Thanks for all you brilliant work and guides - isn't it weird when you get things working the way you want them !!

Guest Zebrahead

If you just copy the boot image and flash image to your android partition,

download a terminal emulator, even connectbot

copy flash image to data/local

invoke flash_image boot bootimg && reboot

this will flash linux from android.

The same can be done from linux to android.

Zeb

Guest mckal13
I've also been working on it and I've kinda done parts of what you wanted to do.

I wanted to start from scratch, I borrowed the kernel provided here (with plans to build my own once everything is working).

You can build a 10.10 filesystem image, I built an image with nothing but wicd and ubuntu-minimal (gdm etc can be added from the tty shell). I've built touchscreen drivers and they work, but it works as a mouse (as in, touching the screen moves the mouse with respect to it's current position, rather than point of contact).

As far as I'm concerned everything works on my build now. I've not tested audio or bluetooth, but bluetooth isn't a big thing for me and I have android for any media. With respect to switching from android to ubuntu and back, you can run flash_image from and android shell (so you don't have to use clockwork), and mounting boot from ubuntu will allow you to flash your android kernel (see /etc/local.rc in the rootfs provided here to mount boot).

I'm using xmonad as my WM, it works very well as it's nice and lightweight ^^ (It's also my WM of choice ^^).

I don't know how much I'll be carrying on with this, mostly because given android and my current ubuntu build, everything works. That being said, I'll happily give advice or lend a hand if anyone has any questions - feel free to PM.

Zeb

Found something interesting. I am a complete noob when it comes to coding, so I dont know really...

http://antmicro.com/blog.html

Uboot on a Terga 250 chip...

Guest Zebrahead
Found something interesting. I am a complete noob when it comes to coding, so I dont know really...

I have the source for it from trimslice - Tegra 200 ^^

I started to look into it but haven't had the time :D

Zeb

Guest little_mumford

If only I knew where to start I might stand a chance!!

When I get my Vega next week I shall start looking into improving the build where I can and see if I can get it booting from a file on the sdcard rather than having to re partition it.

Guest anotherstuart

Here it is. Very simple.

To make it small I have replaced the actual linux-kern.img with a mock one that is empty. You should unzip, replace with the proper linux kern and rezip. The script is at the bottom of the directory tree

meta inf > com > google > android

Good luck

mocklinuxbootcwm.zip

Guest Panayioti
Here it is. Very simple.

To make it small I have replaced the actual linux-kern.img with a mock one that is empty. You should unzip, replace with the proper linux kern and rezip. The script is at the bottom of the directory tree

meta inf > com > google > android

Good luck

So this will let me bit into ubuntu correct?

Guest Zebrahead
So this will let me bit into ubuntu correct?

Not that alone.

Using that just flashes boot with the linux kernel. You still need to have you're own boot image pointing to the correct partition.

Zeb

Guest kaostheory

I understand that Ubuntu is running quite slowly for most people at the moment, has a bottleneck been identified?

Has anyone played around with lightweight WM's yet?

If so, would you be willing to share a step by step guide with all files required in one post?

Maybe a new how-to for all the people looking at this and wandering off bewildered :D

I haven't had enough time to take a proper look yet but if no-one is forthcoming I will take a stab at it over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Rhys

Guest grauone

I have installed Ubuntu on my Vega, all right. But I do not see, or the network manager, or the battery level on the top bar.

I have tried everything to connect, I have read the whole thread and I have done all the steps related to the wifi, but without result.

How you got it you? Have you not had problems with wifi and the battery level?

Guest aronnax

Hi everyone,

I'm playing around with Natty on the notion ink adam. Natty boots to a gui, mouse and keyboard work, but no touch screen. Our fearless thread leader suggested downgrading to xorg 1.6, which broke x. It may be a missing dependency, or the fact that I'm using 1.6.4.

Any suggestions on getting the touch screen working?

Guest Zebrahead
Has anyone played around with lightweight WM's yet?

Personal preference really. I use xmonad (as an X session, not just wm). It's as light as can be and configurable. It's not gnome, you won't like it if you're not comfortable with a terminal. I've not really tried any "graphical" (Not that xmonad isn't...) WMs

I have installed Ubuntu on my Vega, all right. But I do not see, or the network manager, or the battery level on the top bar.

I have tried everything to connect, I have read the whole thread and I have done all the steps related to the wifi, but without result.

How you got it you? Have you not had problems with wifi and the battery level?

Try installing wicd network manager.

You can get battery level by

cat `find /proc | grep battery | grep -v ac | grep capacity$`

SHOULD be the current battery %

(I say find because I cant remember the actual filepath. If you just search for battery in proc you should find it)

Hi everyone,

I'm playing around with Natty on the notion ink adam. Natty boots to a gui, mouse and keyboard work, but no touch screen. Our fearless thread leader suggested downgrading to xorg 1.6, which broke x. It may be a missing dependency, or the fact that I'm using 1.6.4.

Any suggestions on getting the touch screen working?

Can't remember what xorg I'm using as I don't have it to hand. There are various drivers.

Search mtev or evtouch.

I personally found the drivers as specified by a Back|Track port for G-tab at xda to work (Although the cursor moves as a mouse, i.e. relative to it's current position).

Zeb

Guest aronnax

Thanks Zeb.

I will try apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-mtev or evtouch.

Do you use an xorg file, or just use default?

Cheers!

Search mtev or evtouch.

I personally found the drivers as specified by a Back|Track port for G-tab at xda to work (Although the cursor moves as a mouse, i.e. relative to it's current position).

Zeb

Guest grauone
Try installing wicd network manager.

You can get battery level by

cat `find /proc | grep battery | grep -v ac | grep capacity$`

SHOULD be the current battery %

(I say find because I cant remember the actual filepath. If you just search for battery in proc you should find it)

Zeb

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have tried to install wicd but some dependencies I can not install it. I have also tried to configure the network manually but I can not work.

Do you just installed ubuntu as is in the first post? I say that if the same files and the same device, we should work them all the same, no?

Someone who will work correctly, could upload their files to the network, please. I've since Monday without success.

Edited by grauone