Unable to install ClockworkMod - Will not stay at boot loader

Guest marshallaw

Guest marshallaw

My wife upgraded her phone to a San Francisco yesterday and after spending 15 minutes with Orange's perversion of a ROM I decided to install Jellyfish. I've previously rooted and flashed my own Nexus One so didn't think it would be an issue.

One problem... I can't get the phone to stop at the big green android. Here are the steps I'm doing.

1) Remove battery

2) Replace battery

3) Hold down Vol+ button on side

4) Press power and keep holding Vol+

Phone boots into operating system every time. The volume buttons both work fine when in Android itself and holding the Vol- button at boot does take me into the FTM screen.

Any suggestions of where I'm going wrong, I'm at the point of giving up and leaving it stock?

Many thanks,

Chris

Guest Gibbo501

I thought you just plugged in the phone via USB and used FASTBOOT at the command prompt to install Clockwork mod?

You only need to reboot holding VOL - to boot into it.

Guest marshallaw
I thought you just plugged in the phone via USB and used FASTBOOT at the command prompt to install Clockwork mod?

You only need to reboot holding VOL - to boot into it.

Not according to this thread: [RECOVERY] 3.0.0.6: ClockworkMod Recovery for ZTE Blade [OLED+TFT]

To install

fastboot method

Unplug the USB cable, turn off your device and take out the battery

Replace the battery and turn the device on holding the 'volume up' key. The device will stay at the 'green android' screen.

Plug the device into the PC.

From a command prompt run 'fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-blade-2.5.1.8.img'

When this finishes, from the command prompt run 'fastboot reboot'

I see your problem

I flashed a new phone earlier and had no problems

I've got a 2nd phone though and it's doing the same as yours - it will not go into the bootloader

From looking around it seems to be a problem with the B10 software version but only on some?

So far I've not found the answer but still searching the forum and Google hoping to find it

So if anyone comes across this thread - how to get into bootloader Vol and (+) key on stock Orange B10 rom?

and how to root/flash new images if we cant get in there?

OK Finally sorted it - took a while though

The only tool you need is a md5sum checker. Google it and you'll find a download for it

MD5sum is simple to use, it checks the file you have downloaded is correct and not corrupt

Simply check the MD5 number is IDENTICAL to the one noted next to the file names, If it isn't download it again.

Download these files

Download 3.0.0.6: ClockworkMod Recovery

recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.6-blade.img - MD5: 4b949d51c54501e1a3dd0a4c6095766e

Get Univeral Androot from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment...mp;d=1283202114

Download Recovery Manager from here http://android.podtwo.com/recoverymanager/...ager_v0.34b.zip

Extract the APK from the zip and copy BOTH files over to your sd card

IE Plug your phone into the USB, pull the notification bar down and click Mount USB

Copy the 3 files to your usb card, thats the clockwork image, universal androot and recovery manager.

ON your phone install Univeral Androot

Choose GO to Root

It may say your are already rooted - mine did but do it again anyway just to make certain

btw it may ask for superuser rights, grant them

Now install the Recovery Manager app

Grant it Superuser rights if asked

Hit the Recovery tab

Choose update

Choose Install Recovery

Choose your recovery image (recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.6-blade)

When finished choose reboot into recovery and you'll see it worked

Choose reboot system now and once it starts

Just to confirm all is ok turn the phone off then turn on while holding vol (-) button in and it will boot to clockwork

Now you can install any rom

For some unknown reason Volume up and Power just does not work still but don't need it now.

Guest marshallaw

The only tool you need is a md5sum checker. Google it and you'll find a download for it

MD5sum is simple to use, it checks the file you have downloaded is correct and not corrupt

Simply check the MD5 number is IDENTICAL to the one noted next to the file names, If it isn't download it again.

Download these files

Get Univeral Androot from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment...mp;d=1283202114

Download Recovery Manager from here http://android.podtwo.com/recoverymanager/...ager_v0.34b.zip

IE Plug your phone into the USB, pull the notification bar down and click Mount USB

Copy the 3 files to your usb card, thats the clockwork image, universal androot and recovery manager.

Choose GO to Root

It may say your are already rooted - mine did but do it again anyway just to make certain

Hit the Recovery tab

Choose update

Choose Install Recovery

Just to confirm all is ok turn the phone off then turn on while holding vol (-) button in and it will boot to clockwork

For some unknown reason Volume up and Power just does not work still but don't need it now.

I've just done exactly that and was about to post the solution! Odd that the VOL+ button no longer does what it should. Thanks for the reply and the PM prompting me!!

Now all I need to do is teach my wife how to use Android... I may need to take some patience pills 1st!

From looking around it seems to be a problem with the B10 software version but only on some?

It's nothing to do with the actual B10 Android Rom, because that hasn't loaded when it goes into fastboot or tpt mode. It must be something lower level in the hidden part of the phone that has been changed on newer phones, maybe the bootloader. It's also going to disable the TPT flash method on those phones which is the only way we know how to change the hidden parts of the rom (or repartition).

Edited by wbaw

If it makes it easier to solve The phone is recognised by Windows so the drivers are ok

adb works to show the device is connected to the computer but does little else

you can type devices and it comes back with the device name but says "device offline"

Android commander just does not see the phone

The only time I got it to see it was after I had rooted it, installed clockwork and then the installed FLB-r8b rom

After that both adb and android commander works fine the only thing that does not is fastboot

Lew, will a TPT work on the phone that wont go into fastboot mode? If TPTs don't work on newer model phones, then we've lost the ability to repartition the phone to give more room on /data for those phones.

It also means that the method you used is probably the easiest/best way to install clockwork & a custom rom for these newer phones.

Edited by wbaw

I am afraid I have the same problem, I cannot access the bootloader. I partitioned the phone easily though, because the file 'image' from sdcard can be accessed with Volume Up pressed but I cannot get into bootloader.

When I keep the Volume Up pressed (without 'image' folder on sdcard) the phone jams on the operator's logo screen and won't do anything else, I have to take the battery out.

Bootloader worked at the beginning but after installing a Clockwork through Rom Manager it messed everything, both the Clockwork and the bootloader. I managed to repair the Clockwork with Recovery Manager but for bootloader, no solution yet.

And I need it cos I want to change the splash screen.

S.O.S.!

Guest Phoenix Silver

there is a thread in forum to make a tpt from windows

in security mode

power + volume down + volume up

back button should flash one time

don't know if this work with these new phones

• 2 months later...
Guest Heathblue
My wife upgraded her phone to a San Francisco yesterday and after spending 15 minutes with Orange's perversion of a ROM I decided to install Jellyfish. I've previously rooted and flashed my own Nexus One so didn't think it would be an issue.

One problem... I can't get the phone to stop at the big green android. Here are the steps I'm doing.

1) Remove battery

2) Replace battery

3) Hold down Vol+ button on side

4) Press power and keep holding Vol+

Phone boots into operating system every time. The volume buttons both work fine when in Android itself and holding the Vol- button at boot does take me into the FTM screen.

Any suggestions of where I'm going wrong, I'm at the point of giving up and leaving it stock?

Many thanks,

Chris

Chris i have purchased the san fransisco this week and from opening the box and 1st power up it was obvious the orange branding had to go, unlocking and rooting is easy but like yorself i was going bonkers at my inability to get the phone into clockworkmod, having stumbled on a post further down in this thread from beggin (thankyou]and the link he provides, tonight i have successfully indsatalled an orange debranded rom, follow the instructions piece by piece don't make any short cuts and the guide should work for you, phone now looks great without all the orange rubbish, i will get more advenrurous and try a few other roms over the next few days PS, i still have an htc legend have had it for about 4 months and despite spending days and days trying to install a custom rom i still hven't manqaged it!!!!!

Edited by Heathblue

Guest Marvintheparanoidandroid

Just wanted to say a big thanks for the above solution. I bought a San Fran for my brother's birthday and could not get it to load ClockworkRecovery Mod until following the above. And no touchscreen problems, either. :mellow:

• 1 month later...
Guest jhoyne

Download these files

Get Universal Androot from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment...mp;d=1283202114

Choose GO to Root

Hit the Recovery tab

Choose update

Choose Install Recovery

Many thanks for above it finally sorted my problem of not being able to get to recovery screen by holding volume on power on. Here's my experience for what it's worth.

Orange San Francisco: gen1, TFT screen Glass:LEAD, Build No. OUK_P729BV1.0.0B10, Firmware 2.1-update1

• Rooted phone with Universal Android Root.
  • Installed ROM Manager Premium (4.3.2.3) (gave it root permission when asked)
  • Flashed ClockworkMod 3.0.2.7 from within ROM Manager
  • Seemed to flash okay and reported the new version
  • However it would not boot to recovery mode, either when asked in ROM Manager, or by holding the volume key on power up
  • Down-graded to recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.6-blade.img, as suggested by you, again from within ROM Manger (AllClockworkMod Recoveries menu)
  • (the md5 checksum didn't check out on the recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.6-blade.img I downloaded from your link)
  • ROM Manager now successful rebooted into recovery mode when asked. At that point I was able to back up current ROM (didn't get around to re flashing yet)
  • Verified that I could start recovery mode on demand - by holding volume down key pressed while powering up

Pleased I'm in a position now to flash new ROM's, spent a week trying to figure it out. Thanks again!

cheers!