Brand new San Fran - fastboot blocked?

Guest tttonyyy

Guest tttonyyy

This is our third San Fran, brand new and shiney, turned up Yesterday morning. Unlocked OK.

This one though, when cleanly powered up with volume up pressed, still boots fully into the Orange ROM.

Power up with volume down pressed results in a screen with a big grey block with the letters ZTM in the middle.

Are Orange making new phones immune to modding?

Firmware is listed as 2.1-update1

Build OUK_P729BV1.0.0B10

Edit: Just tried Hungarian TPT, seems that is not blocked, flashed OK and now fastboot works again.

Clockwork recovery installed, then CM7 nightly 6.

Nice try Orange!

Edited by tttonyyy

Guest PeaNut_HU
This is our third San Fran, brand new and shiney, turned up Yesterday morning. Unlocked OK.

This one though, when cleanly powered up with volume up pressed, still boots fully into the Orange ROM.

Power up with volume down pressed results in a screen with a big grey block with the letters ZTM in the middle.

Are Orange making new phones immune to modding?

Firmware is listed as 2.1-update1

Build OUK_P729BV1.0.0B10

Edit: Just tried Hungarian TPT, seems that is not blocked, flashed OK and now fastboot works again.

Clockwork recovery installed, then CM7 nightly 6.

Nice try Orange!

A TPT should always work, because it is the most low-level solution which won't be blocked, it is a normally unknown mechanism for "everyday" end-users :huh:

But thanks to the Hungarian Memory Fix rom (which used this mode of updating first) it is used more and more widely everyday...

the "newer" swiss blades , the black shiny ones, hide the dialog for unocking.

so orange is aware that people buy them cheap and unlock and modify them.

in switzerland all cities near germany dont get the blades because they recognize that the germans came in crowds and buy all of them. also the price is half then inUK: 100CHF = 50pounds

at the moment no blades are available in switzerland... in middle of march they get a new charge of them.

will see if they modified it.

Guest Len Ash
bah just go in france there are a lot of blades to sale (Bouygues or SFR or Orange)

but more expensive 99 pounds

Hmm.. the Bouygues shop I went in to in Beauvais a couple of weeks ago had Blades for Eur160 - about GBP132 - BUT they were OLED! I bought just one!

I'm glad that a TPT works. There's no real reason they couldn't block that method, it's just a small flashing program stored on the phones internal memory (it's possible to block tpts with a corrupted tpt install), but I expect it is a way for operators to unbrick phones & if they did block it, they'd want another method for operators to use.

Interesting that they should choose to block this, I thought that under the linux kernel terms they not only have to provide the source code but also with the ability to load your own custom version onto the device? So potentially they could be breaking the license agreement.

Guest The Soup Thief
Interesting that they should choose to block this, I thought that under the linux kernel terms they not only have to provide the source code but also with the ability to load your own custom version onto the device? So potentially they could be breaking the license agreement.

That was my understanding too, but the likes of HTC seem to have gotten away pretty successfully with locking their handsets (or trying to at least)

Anyone know if this has been tested ever?

When people (yourself included, rjm2k, if my memory serves) have contacted ZTE they've been broadly helpful after a fashion - do you know if anyone ever got any meaningful correspondence going with Orange?

You thought wrong, there's nothing like that in the GPL v2 - http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html

They just have to release working source code for any GPL v2 binaries they distribute.

This is not true. The Linux kernel is GPLv2 which - unfortunately - has no provision against locking down devices (see Tivoization) with respect to what firmware may be installed. Only the more recent GPLv3 fixes this.

according to

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-the-zte-blade/

the phone must be network unlocked before TPT install

can anyone confirm this and whether its possible to network unlock on a new B10 UK SF ?

basically, can someone who knows more than me confirm which methods work on new SF and rewrite/edit the guides as needed! thanks

see also http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-on-b10-phones/

Edited by Smiff2

according to

can anyone confirm this and whether its possible to network unlock on a new B10 UK SF ?

basically, can someone who knows more than me confirm which methods work on new SF and rewrite/edit the guides as needed! thanks

The problem is most of us have older phones & we unlocked them, the new models have only been around a few weeks & it's mostly newbies that own them.

Doesn't the old unlock method work on newer phones? Have you tried? Theres a sticky thread here I'm sure.

You can do a Japanese Jellyfish Image install, that contains all the hungarian firmware, which will enable the volume + fastboot behaviour (which you dont need), along with a custom unlocked rom & a recovery program, rather than hungarian t-mobile stock. The guide should be updated, theres no reason to use that hungarian stock rom at all since Japanese Jellyfish was released. Nearly all the custom roms ignore the sim lock anyway.

The guide has been updated anyway, the first method, root & install recovery manager is recommended now for newer phones. Fastboot is the older method, on older phones you can boot into that with vol+, flash clockwork & install a rooted rom, no need to root the stock rom, that is the only method which is disabled on new phones.

TPTs still work, rooting & recovery manager works, rooting & reboot bootloader then fastboot works.

Edited by wbaw

i don't have a new phone. i was asking for others (on Hotukdeals) that do

(also because i want to know whether i'll have problems in the future if I need to replace the phone or buy another for someone else..)

thanks!

Edited by Smiff2

Japanese Jellyfish 9 TPT image install is the easiest way to customise a new phone at the moment. It's also the most risky way, but should be fine as long as they're sensible (check download, full charge, don't interrupt).

Universal androot then recovery manager then a new rom, as in the guide, will also work. Just stay well away from the hungarian update & any other unmodified stock roms, then unlocking isn't an issue, the custom roms are all unlocked.

It's just one method of flashing a new rom which is disabled in new phones, it's the last one in the guide & marked as an old method.

My partition mod should provide a safer way (than jj9 tpt image) to install a new rom on new phones & repartition it too, it won't update all the phones firmware, just the important bits without the really dangerous bits, but it might not re-enable the volum + bootloader mode like the full tpt will (that doesn't matter). I'm still updating the guide, but check out the latest draft http://android.modaco.com/content-page/330...nation/page/80/

However, I can't test my partition mod on a new phone, it might not even work & it might need a full tpt install to fix it. I need more testers with new phones.

Edited by wbaw

thanks wbaw, you should get some testers, i have linked here from the hottest deal of all time on HUKD.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/orange-san...64#post10729452

problem as you say is most new owners have not done this before.

shame all Orange have achieved is to make things (slightly) more dangerous, not really harder.. maybe their plan was to brick phones and sell more that way :huh: reminds me of nintendo's failed attempts to lock down the wii.

Edited by Smiff2

in march the lade is available in switzerland again. then i will get my hands on some of them.

think the easiest way ist this:

JJ9 image

return to stock UK TFT

then unlock

clockwork 3

CM7

takes 10minutes more :huh:

cant wait for the slate... need bigger screen!

Or just universal androot, then cyanogen rom manager from the market. That's probably the easiest, safest & will become the new recommended method.

Edited by wbaw

Guest tttonyyy
according to

Just to confirm, I network unlocked the new B10 San Fran before doing the TPT that fixed the blocked fastboot. Nothing different about the network unlock, same way as always. I know the TPT thread says that you need to redo the network unlock after TPT too, but I've done this Hungarian TPT to two phones now and neither have required redoing the network unlock afterwards.

I'm very much enjoying CM7 on it now :huh:

Edited by tttonyyy

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Or just universal androot, then cyanogen rom manager from the market. That's probably the easiest, safest & will become the new recommended method.

It is one of the easiest ways, but not too much different from the current recommended method of recovery manager. Not too sure why the person started this post as that's an easy way to root, flash recovery and install a custom rom.

Guest tttonyyy

Only other thing of note about the new San Fran is that the TFT display colour balance is ever so slightly colder. The old ones verge towards pink and this one verges towards green - though it is very subtle and only really noticable holding two side by side. I've tried to take a photo of it by setting my camera's white balance against a piece of paper, but you can't see the difference in the photo between them.

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Only other thing of note about the new San Fran is that the TFT display colour balance is ever so slightly colder. The old ones verge towards pink and this one verges towards green - though it is very subtle and only really noticable holding two side by side. I've tried to take a photo of it by setting my camera's white balance against a piece of paper, but you can't see the difference in the photo between them.

Yeah, as shown in another thread "TRULY OR LEAD?" the glass/plastic is made of a different material.

Guest tttonyyy
It is one of the easiest ways, but not too much different from the current recommended method of recovery manager. Not too sure why the person started this post as that's an easy way to root, flash recovery and install a custom rom.

Ah. I hadn't seen the new guide to installing ROMs.

At any rate, I'd be irked to have a phone without working fastboot (I like as many recovery-from-bricking plans as possible!) :huh:

Can someone shed some light on the fastboot/recovery/TPT booting process?

I.e.,

1. Where (partition/file) is the code that checks for buttons and branches to the appropriate boot sequence when powering up the phone?
  2. Where (partition/file) is the fastboot mode code?
  3. Where (parition/file) is the TPT mode code?

Guest Sebastian404

I was under the impression there was 3 displays on the go now... OUK did update to B10 for a reason, I assumed it was to support the new display....