Vega future

Guest Ter4a

Guest HugoQueiriga
i only got mine beginning of february with r 1.08 and have never had any keyboard issues so probably was a launch model issue that has been fixed

Mine was from second batch, and although v1.09 helped the touch sensitivity I still get sticky keys.

Warrior do you have the number you called to get it replaced ?

Guest warriorscot

I called the PCWorld line at first and DSG customer services called me back but the phone number is on the DSG website contacts page, the customer services line should be the one that works.

Has anyone else seen this video?

Some of those apps are much more impressive than anything I've seen on the Xoom (or any other device for that matter). Surely Tegra 2 should at least be equal to the SoC in the Playbook? I know it doesn't mean much if the Playbook goes on to sell badly (see Palm) but does anyone else think that developers have still nowhere near tapped into the potential that Tegra has? If we could get apps like those on the Vega (along with Honeycomb), I think the Vega could be around for a long time yet.

Guest simonta

It depends on your viewpoint. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, impressiveness is also often perception.

I see lots of eye candy in this typical demo sequence but nothing particularly useful. For example, I don't care if I can wrap my pictures around the outside of a drum (or the inside, at the click of a button) or can hang them from a washing line. I care that I can view them, which for me is always a full screen activity, and access the collection on my media server from my Vega, which I can. Fishbowl viewer and Floating Image are more than enough whizz bang for me.

The apps shown here will be demo apps, specifically written by well funded development teams. That's not to say they won't make release, they probably will, but will have been designed specifically to draw crowds at display stands and produce "oohs and aahs" at in store displays.

With Android, the market has to mature to see apps like this generically available. There is currently an ethos of "I want it free" and a high level of software theft in Android and consequently, the big hitters are targetting iPhone/Pad or corporate bespoke work. It is too difficult to make decent money from Android apps if you're not in the top 100 and devs need to make money from this. The apps you see here represent hundreds of hours of development and very few people can afford to give that sort of time for free. That is a significant advantage of Apple's walled garden, much as I hate it, that lures more devs than to Android.

What did you see that you wish you had on the Vega?

Cheers

Edited by simonta

Guest BiggerH

I see the Motorola Xoom is up (sort of) on the PC World website

here

for £ 450 - still too much to tempt me away from the Vega

(although the actual site now has the price and pre-order removed)

It depends on your viewpoint. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, impressiveness is also often perception.

I see lots of eye candy in this typical demo sequence but nothing particularly useful. For example, I don't care if I can wrap my pictures around the outside of a drum (or the inside, at the click of a button) or can hang them from a washing line. I care that I can view them, which for me is always a full screen activity, and access the collection on my media server from my Vega, which I can. Fishbowl viewer and Floating Image are more than enough whizz bang for me.

The apps shown here will be demo apps, specifically written by well funded development teams. That's not to say they won't make release, they probably will, but will have been designed specifically to draw crowds at display stands and produce "oohs and aahs" at in store displays.

With Android, the market has to mature to see apps like this generically available. There is currently an ethos of "I want it free" and a high level of software theft in Android and consequently, the big hitters are targetting iPhone/Pad or corporate bespoke work. It is too difficult to make decent money from Android apps if you're not in the top 100 and devs need to make money from this. The apps you see here represent hundreds of hours of development and very few people can afford to give that sort of time for free. That is a significant advantage of Apple's walled garden, much as I hate it, that lures more devs than to Android.

What did you see that you wish you had on the Vega?

Cheers

Well, there's nothing in particular that I'd like to see, it just seems that the Playbook's hardware is actually being used to it's potential in that video, yet we haven't seen something that's really pushing the Xoom/Vega other than a few Tegra games. I know that the quality of apps will probably improve with time, but when you look at the quality of the ones available on the Playbook (and probably the iPad) at launch, it just leaves a lot to be desired.

On the other hand, the problem with Android is that they can't design it with the same certainty that Blackberry and Apple can. Those two companies only have two devices to design their tablet OSs for, however with Android it has to be geared for Tegra devices as well as not prevent lower powered devices (such as the Nook or Archos 101) from being able to run it.

Ultimately, fragmentation results in these issues, although it does generate lots of competition as we have so many Android devices to choose from :huh:.

Guest Sir Gash
Well, there's nothing in particular that I'd like to see, it just seems that the Playbook's hardware is actually being used to it's potential in that video, yet we haven't seen something that's really pushing the Xoom/Vega other than a few Tegra games. I know that the quality of apps will probably improve with time, but when you look at the quality of the ones available on the Playbook (and probably the iPad) at launch, it just leaves a lot to be desired.

On the other hand, the problem with Android is that they can't design it with the same certainty that Blackberry and Apple can. Those two companies only have two devices to design their tablet OSs for, however with Android it has to be geared for Tegra devices as well as not prevent lower powered devices (such as the Nook or Archos 101) from being able to run it.

Ultimately, fragmentation results in these issues, although it does generate lots of competition as we have so many Android devices to choose from :huh:.

Agreed. As ss23 stated, we haven't seen what Tegra 2 is capable of (apart from a handful of games). Sadly, none of the launchers available are Tegra optimised. Just check out this UI demo for the first Tegra chipsets, this was back in June 2008 on the original Tegra chipset, not the Tegra 2 we have in the Vega!

However, I did find this recently which reminds of nVidia's concept UI and should be out soon:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/12/20/sp...-beta-now-open/

There is still a lot of untapped potential in the Vega, it is down to developers to make the most of it.