41 replies to this topic

sm4tik

sm4tik

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Devices:Blade

Besides the discussion wheter this tool is useful or not - I just want to say that it doesnt work on my device :rolleyes:
At least the battery icon is still showing the charging animation...
Is there any experience on the LG P990 from anyone else or a hint?
Before you ask: yes I gave the app root rights =)

Yes, it's working. Check your battery info in spare parts, it'll still show "Discharging" as battery status. This has been discussed above also :)

edit. ehem.. on the previous page..

Edited by sm4tik, 06 July 2011 - 11:22 AM.

xLunchboxXx

xLunchboxXx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:LG Optimus Speed P990

Yes, it's working. Check your battery info in spare parts, it'll still show "Discharging" as battery status. This has been discussed above also :)

Strangely my battery was at 68% when I plugged it in and now its full...
and in the menu it sais charging :rolleyes:

Edited by xLunchboxXx, 07 July 2011 - 07:02 AM.

squeeky2k

squeeky2k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Is there a way to do exactly the opposite to this?

I need to be able to charge without USB data connection kicking in. Two reasons, firstly, it sometimes mounts the SD card and none of the apps run from the card and secondly. admin rights to connect unauthorised hardware to usb ports is disabled at work and I'm pretty sure attempts are logged.... would be nice not to have the various warnings, errors and info pop-ups appearing when connecting my Blade to the work laptop to give the battery a boost after a day of browsing etc when bored!

^This. Very much this :)

achoice

achoice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade

Luis Cardoso

Luis Cardoso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Optimus San Francisco
I think that switching the USB charge has much more potential than the requests made here.
According to http://batteryuniver...m_ion_batteries when the battery is kept at 100% for long or, even worse, exercised around 100% (repeated small discharges followed by topping to 100%) the stress may shorten its life.
Therefore it would be very nice if we could adjust the maximum voltage (or %) we want the battery to reach because many of us are already used to plugging it at home and at work. I reckon that some 70 to 85% of charge would be enough for people on commuting. I'd also suggest adding an exception button like "Full topping" to allow the next charge reaching the 100% when we plan a longer walk.

I know this is a bit beyond the scope of this thread, but at least the audience should be receptive :)
I haven't tried the app because I haven't rooted my blade yet. I have too little programming abilities to try and implement this on my own and have no clue if changing the target charge voltage is soft/hardware possible at all, but I hope someone likes the idea.

justcosmic1

justcosmic1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Racer
Just what I was looking for - upgraded my ZTE racer and noticed the lack of this feature.
I used to tether my old MDA vario all the time to my laptop, and it def killed the battery.
So looking forward to trying this out on CM7.

If you could get it to properly integrate into the settings etc that would of course be even better ...either way, thanks for providing the app :)

Щачло карпа

Щачло карпа

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
I confirm this application not working on rooted galaxy s2 with A 2.3 :(

I luv Touchwiz. I wish for touchwiz port to zte blade. Pls. :)
Posted Image

zachtmobile

zachtmobile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I usually dont have this much problem figuring something like this out BUT....

I cant seem to get it to work either. I have a rooted Nexus S, and when I click to Disable USB charging it says "Updated OK," but when I go 'adb shell dumpsys battery' in the command prompt it has the USB charging listed as "True" and after 5 minutes the level has gone up by 2.

And if someone is looking for a reason why this program can be helpful - running logs for battery, cpu, and memory usage over long periods of time for application testing and verification. The battery info is all screwy when the USB is charging the device, but its necessary to have the usb connected into the computer to receive all the logs. Hence my opinion is that this program is gold and i would easily pay for it.

If I can get it to work...

Any thoughts or tips?

Edited by zachtmobile, 15 November 2011 - 11:34 PM.

t0mm13b

t0mm13b

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • Devices:GT-S8500,Zte Blade,SE ST15i
  • Twitter:@t0mm13b

I usually dont have this much problem figuring something like this out BUT....

I cant seem to get it to work either. I have a rooted Nexus S, and when I click to Disable USB charging it says "Updated OK," but when I go 'adb shell dumpsys battery' in the command prompt it has the USB charging listed as "True" and after 5 minutes the level has gone up by 2.

And if someone is looking for a reason why this program can be helpful - running logs for battery, cpu, and memory usage over long periods of time for application testing and verification. The battery info is all screwy when the USB is charging the device, but its necessary to have the usb connected into the computer to receive all the logs. Hence my opinion is that this program is gold and i would easily pay for it.

If I can get it to work...

Any thoughts or tips?

Speaking for Blade community, the designation of battery device specific files solely rest with the Blade's kernel in question (at the time, it was 2.6.32 kernel for blade).

As you say you have Nexus S, the kernel would be different, no doubt, poke around in /sys directory on your handset to see for any clues. :)

try{ not_laugh; }catch{ FAIL; }finally{ laugh; }

zachtmobile

zachtmobile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Speaking for Blade community, the designation of battery device specific files solely rest with the Blade's kernel in question (at the time, it was 2.6.32 kernel for blade).

As you say you have Nexus S, the kernel would be different, no doubt, poke around in /sys directory on your handset to see for any clues. :)

i have been in the sys directory for a few days looking for clues when I stumbled upon this thread. Would anyone have any idea at which file Charging commander looks at, or what key words I should be looking for to change the property?

t0mm13b

t0mm13b

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

i have been in the sys directory for a few days looking for clues when I stumbled upon this thread. Would anyone have any idea at which file Charging commander looks at, or what key words I should be looking for to change the property?

Try: /sys/module/msm_battery/parameters/usb_chg_enable, well, that is on the blade.

sibero80

sibero80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I can certainly point out another use for this tool. I just bought a power pack for my I9100, and it seems to lack an ON/OFF switch.. so its ALWAYS charging. Is this tool could work with my device it would certainly save some unnecesary charge cycles on those power packs, so the used would CHOOSE when the charge is needed...

Xut00

Xut00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Samsung Galaxy Note N7000, it does`'t work :-)

KarunaV

KarunaV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Could you post the final bug free .apk for the app here?

I am still testing o the very first .apk posted on it thread and it shows the charging on the Status bar.

JeWy85

JeWy85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:GW 620
look good going to try them soon

modacococo

modacococo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i use gingerbread on xperia... sadly its still charging......

is this project dead?

t0mm13b

t0mm13b

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
I am going to leave this here for the benefit of others who wishes to use this into their own handset - this will vary across different kernels.

Someone emailed me, and was trying to fit it within their LG Optimus 3D (P920), this is what I replied to this person,

Was looking at the Gerrett-RoadRunnerKernel-Cosmos, in
drivers/mfd/twl_core.c which *I* think is where the battery
regulator is...

And judging by the module itself, it looks like redirecting a value
to a sysfile is not a requirement here (that is in relation to the
MSM architecture in which USB Charge Commander does it in that
fashion), rather, more so, ioctl calls would have to be made, as
there's read/write functions in there, used in conjunction with
drivers/mfd/twl6030-gpadc.c (*/static long
twl6030_gpadc_ioctl(struct file *filp, unsigned int cmd, unsigned
long arg) /*)but this part caught my eye within twl_core.c

In the function *static void _init_twl6030_settings * there's this:
/* CHARGERUSB_CTRL3 */
twl_i2c_write_u8(TWL6030_MODULE_ID1, 0x21, 0xEA);

so I'd imagine an ioctl call to write a value to 0x21 (perhaps that
is a command you pass into the ioctl?), a value probably an inverse
of 0xEA to indicate no charge? (I am not 100% certain as am not
familiar with OMAP architecture - and please don't try write to it
directly for my fear due to limited knowledge of the said

architecture and perhaps risking damaging the battery)

So it will depend on your chipset and kernel. This Optimus as in this case, in which I received that in email was my actual reply above. USB Charge Commander only works with the msm architecture - specifically, msm7227 which uses the MSM battery driver built into the kernel which from there, bore the idea of USB Charge Commander.

All in all, you need to look through the kernel sources depending on your chipset and possibly would require an ioctl call to the driver itself to disable it for your handset.

Now, disclaimer follows - please do not try this on your handset and assume that in my reply to the person, that is to be taken as a given for your handset.

t0mm13b

t0mm13b

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

i use gingerbread on xperia... sadly its still charging......

is this project dead?

I have an Xperia Mini... I will check it out shortly and get back to you on this :)

modacococo

modacococo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have an Xperia Mini... I will check it out shortly and get back to you on this :)

My one is Xperia Mini Pro :)

Did you get this working?

t0mm13b

t0mm13b

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

My one is Xperia Mini Pro :)

Did you get this working?

No, did not get it to work - semc board uses different layout altogether unlike MSM7227.

Still trying to figure it out :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users