How to Install android 2.2 froyo

Guest add.thebad

Guest add.thebad

This guide will show you how to get foryo on your Motorola defy ahead of schedules!!

use at own risk not fully tested but works for me and others

as it stands every thing seems to be working in froyo now including wifi gps camera market led and sensors

however it is still a custom rom and i acept no responsibilty if u brick it which is very hard on this phone

First i reccomend you download my ultimate defy package it contains every thing you should need to get froyo working! (still needs testing but should work)

Downlaod my ultimate defy package

Detaled method(scroll down for short method)

Just because you can drop it in the bath doest protect it from bricking make sure you read carefully to avoid this and if you do brick it it can usually be recovered. I accept no responsibility for what happens but i will try and help.

1. You should have already downloaded my ultimate defy package so navigate to the froyo section

2. First install moto drivers either 32 or 64 bit depending on your os version

3. Then install RSD lite

4. Then reboot pc

5. Then put either the T-Mobile US or GB update (the whole folder) on your phones sd card under goapkrev/backup

6. Power phone on into bootloader mode by holding power on and volume up for about 5 secconds

7. Then start RSD lite and in the file name section navigate to the (JDGC_U6_0.26.0_SIGNED......sbf) image inside the Chinese 2.2 folder

8. Select device from the box below and click start and give it about 5 mins until it says its done and let it reboot

9. Then use super one click to root phone (make sure usb debugging is enabled in applications>development>usb debugging (tick box))

10. Next turn usb debugging off and install the recovery apk

11. Then click on install system recovery and allow super user permissions

12. Then boot into recovery mode (navigate around using volume, power to select)

13. Clear data and cache

14. Then go to back up & restore > advanced restore and choose the GB or US update you put their earlier

15. Wait for that to finish and then pull battery out

16. When you put is back in you need to boot into bootloader mode again (volume up and power)

17. Then in the same way use RSD lite to flash the file inside the boot image folder

18. Reboot

That should be froyo!!!

at stage 14 you should be able to swap the recovery image with a rom you wish to install but check with each rom first it can differ

quick method

Prep work

*gain root acess and install recovery

*download and install motorola drivers

*download and install RDS lite

*Download 2.2 image

*Download T-mobile 2.2 *files (use extract now to extract)

*enter bootlader mode flash 2.2 image via rds lite

*root and install recovery - enter recovery and clear data + cache

*then restore TMOB_US_3.42_SYSTEM

*clear data and cache and reboot and take battery out

*enter bootlader mode flash TmobileUS_Boot_Devtree.sbf

*that should be froyo now you can use recovery to install any froyo rom you like

thats froyo!!

any questions ask below

Guest nvkid909
gah! i'm on mac.

i take it from reading some of your posts (& others) that:
to flash rom (upgrade from eclair to froyo) i need rsd lite on a pc:
to custom rom (i have rooted) i could do this on the sd card if i install a recovery, back it up then choose a custom rom - but i will still be on eclair, yes?

methinks i'll stay put if froyo is coming soon anyways... it's just that... well i read that froyo eats more battery? can i custom rom after updating to froyo?

Guest Ryan Edmonds
gah! i'm on mac.

i take it from reading some of your posts (& others) that:to flash rom (upgrade from eclair to froyo) i need rsd lite on a pc:
to custom rom (i have rooted) i could do this on the sd card if i install a recovery, back it up then choose a custom rom - but i will still be on eclair, yes?
methinks i'll stay put if froyo is coming soon anyways... it's just that... well i read that froyo eats more battery? can i custom rom after updating to froyo?

From a thread on xda there's a limited release in the US already. I think it's T-Mob. So hopefully if we're patient for a little longer.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nvkid909

dunno, suggests new battery to me... but if you think your battery is fine, isn't there a "wipe battery status" in tenfar's recovery boot (if you have it)? sure i seen the option to reset the battery reading....?

Guest nvkid909
From a thread on xda there's a limited release in the US already. I think it's T-Mob. So hopefully if we're patient for a little longer.....

well i bit the bullet & begged use of a PC, flashed the leaked uk froyo. it is nice! but z4root won't work on it now. is rooting possible on froyo (defy)? i've seen various methods but would much rather something simple like z4root? seems to be limited info wether root defy froyo is possible.

EDIT: So I'ma have to beg someone elses PC again? Is superoneclick my only option at the mo?

I've seen the odd mac oneclick jobbies, but they're phone specific?

Edited by nvkid909

Guest add.thebad
well i bit the bullet & begged use of a PC, flashed the leaked uk froyo. it is nice! but z4root won't work on it now. is rooting possible on froyo (defy)? i've seen various methods but would much rather something simple like z4root? seems to be limited info wether root defy froyo is possible.

EDIT: So I'ma have to beg someone elses PC again? Is superoneclick my only option at the mo?

I've seen the odd mac oneclick jobbies, but they're phone specific?

yeah z4 root doesnt work on it :D think your gonna need a pc for super 1 click

Guest Diggedy

Nice guide, thanks for the hard work. I tried a similar guide on XDA and ended up with the black screen due to using the chinese rom. Does this one work with phones running 2.51 eclair?

The easiest way I found to install froyo (3.4.3-11) was:

1 : root phone using one click

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=913709

2: install the clockwork mod (modified to work on the defy)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=875233

3 : reboot into recovery (clockwork recovery) create a nandroid of your current setup and once complete wipe data and cache

4: flash the system part of the nandroid of this (backup and restore - > advanced) - (this should be placed in the goapkrev/backup folder)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=62

5: then do not reboot the system. Instead pull the battery then power up holding the volume up button (hold volume up before putting the battery in as sometimes it will try and power on itself)

6: Flash the FIXED sbf from that file link above using RSD lite 4.9 (see above guide for the link) - this is important, only flash fixed sbf`s if you want to keep downgradeability

then reboot the phone and pray to the phone god

you can test if its worked (ie downgradeable) by flashing the original version of your phone software ie. 2.51 eclair. and it should work.

please note though, im a complete newby to the defy, the above worked for me, it may or may not work for you so try it at your own risk and dont try and sue me if it breaks your phone

Edited by Diggedy

Guest add.thebad

best way seems to change all the time due to new leaks

boot loops come from undowngradability (is that a word) issues

i think flashing the leaked 3.3.4 is the best wat atm or the US official but ive not tried that

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kiarash irani
dunno, suggests new battery to me... but if you think your battery is fine, isn't there a "wipe battery status" in tenfar's recovery boot (if you have it)? sure i seen the option to reset the battery reading....?

hi

my battery is fine

Done("wipe battery status") But the problem not resolved

Please please help me!

Guest mihaidenis
hi

my battery is fine

Please please help me!

Hey try to flash again(same)another rom.

This solve the problem on other defy(as i read on xda developers)

So try again.

Should work.

Guest add.thebad
helffull thread..

thanks for share,.. I can try it in my brother is phone...

i would look at this thread. an easyer way has come up i need to update this thread one day :)

Guest nvkid909
hi

my battery is fine

Please please help me!

it's difficult to tell what is causing this, did you try downloading a rom (eclair or froyo) & flashing it via RSD Lite?

Did you wipe the data before / after reflashing?

See also xda developer wiki page - moto defy

I think there are tips in there for getting RSD to recognise it (battery problems etc)

• 1 month later...
Guest Milan Obrenovic

Hi, I follow all instructions which was written in 1st post, I started RSD lite, click start, wait 5 min., it says it's all done and reboot and that nothing happened. I tried to turn on my phone, but I cant, than I started Superoneclick, but it failed to complete process.

Anyone can help me please?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest k3n.frm.MNL
Nice guide, thanks for the hard work. I tried a similar guide on XDA and ended up with the black screen due to using the chinese rom. Does this one work with phones running 2.51 eclair?

The easiest way I found to install froyo (3.4.3-11) was:

1 : root phone using one click

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=913709

2: install the clockwork mod (modified to work on the defy)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=875233

3 : reboot into recovery (clockwork recovery) create a nandroid of your current setup and once complete wipe data and cache

4: flash the system part of the nandroid of this (backup and restore - > advanced) - (this should be placed in the goapkrev/backup folder)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=62

5: then do not reboot the system. Instead pull the battery then power up holding the volume up button (hold volume up before putting the battery in as sometimes it will try and power on itself)

6: Flash the FIXED sbf from that file link above using RSD lite 4.9 (see above guide for the link) - this is important, only flash fixed sbf`s if you want to keep downgradeability

then reboot the phone and pray to the phone god

you can test if its worked (ie downgradeable) by flashing the original version of your phone software ie. 2.51 eclair. and it should work.

please note though, im a complete newby to the defy, the above worked for me, it may or may not work for you so try it at your own risk and dont try and sue me if it breaks your phone

[Hi Diggedy,

I also tried add.the.bad's Ultimate Defy Guide yesterday and ended up with a black screen...now the phone wont turn on...factory reset wont work and i cant do anything about it. I stopped at Step #8 (on the Ultimate Defy Guide) I've waited 5 minutes but rebooting did not happen.

Can you help me? What did you do to make it work again? Thanks in advance! ]