UK TAB, bought it, flashed it, rooted it patched it LOVE IT ;-)

Guest radarrod

Guest radarrod

If it helps anyone, these were my steps for getting my newly purchased EURO Galaxy TAB (bought in UK) to the latest Samsung stock firmware.

1. Installed kies (which said it was already up to date even though I had P1000XXJID Sep 2010) so Flashed P1000XWJMI from samfirmware.com (Jan 2011) using ODIN 1.7 (tagged all options pit, pda, modem etc) defaulted to a language which I didn't recognize but I changed it back to English

2. Used SuperOneClick root to root it (after trying z4root which seemed to hang) It became unresonsive VERY SLOW until I rebooted, at which point it was fine. (phew !! )

3. Patched the boot using SGT-Bootloader-Patch-v1.00.apk to avoid having a locked boot ( by using the app found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=888071)

4. Downloaded Gingerbread Keyboard form the market (very nice)

5. Installed market enabler to get applications that are specific to the UK or US by switching the operator codes

6. Installed LauncherPro (standard launcher is not so great)

7. Now wondering which customer ROM to flash if I can be that brave ..... ;-)

All is running fine and battery life seems good.

With reasonable use one day is never going to be an issue.

Be careful if you follow the steps above (the usual disclaimer ;-) )

I have the Dell Streak 5" & Advent Vega 10" and the 7" format of the Galaxy is my favorite so far........

Good luck!

Rod

Guest steviesteve

Same here... got mine from local O2 store for £399 with free case!!!

I unlocked it using the guide over at XDA-developers with no problem, now accepts any SIM.

Next step was to download ODIN and flash the Modaco CWM Ext4 Kernel, the booted into recovery and flashed Paul's Modaco ROM - the Tab now flies and is replacing my laptop for most general browsing, email and entertainment.

Tried the Vega but the screen viewing angles were too poor after using the Tab, previously had the Commtiva N700 which is a bargain buy but the Tab, again is a much higher quality device.

Good luck to anyone who chooses the Tab over the iPad - it's cheaper, smaller, more powerful and much more personal thanks to the Android OS!

Guest radarrod
Same here... got mine from local O2 store for £399 with free case!!!

I unlocked it using the guide over at XDA-developers with no problem, now accepts any SIM.

Next step was to download ODIN and flash the Modaco CWM Ext4 Kernel, the booted into recovery and flashed Paul's Modaco ROM - the Tab now flies and is replacing my laptop for most general browsing, email and entertainment.

Tried the Vega but the screen viewing angles were too poor after using the Tab, previously had the Commtiva N700 which is a bargain buy but the Tab, again is a much higher quality device.

Good luck to anyone who chooses the Tab over the iPad - it's cheaper, smaller, more powerful and much more personal thanks to the Android OS!

I also was interested in the N700, I saw them in London for around £180 which was very tempting however, I spent the extra cash and bought the Galaxy Tab (unlocked from phones4u £359)

For the Advent Vega I agree, the viewing angles are a bit poor but it has potential to run Honeycomb roms so I may keep it for that alone (in the drawer for now).

The stock firmware I flashed on the Galaxy Tab seems pretty fast. I think I'll hold fire until there is a Modaco 2.3 rom for the Galaxy before I consider flashing this baby with a custom ROM ;-)