1. Installed kies (which said it was already up to date even though I had P1000XXJID Sep 2010) so Flashed P1000XWJMI from samfirmware.com (Jan 2011) using ODIN 1.7 (tagged all options pit, pda, modem etc) defaulted to a language which I didn't recognize but I changed it back to English
2. Used SuperOneClick root to root it (after trying z4root which seemed to hang) It became unresonsive VERY SLOW until I rebooted, at which point it was fine. (phew !! )
3. Patched the boot using SGT-Bootloader-Patch-v1.00.apk to avoid having a locked boot ( by using the app found here http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=888071)
4. Downloaded Gingerbread Keyboard form the market (very nice)
5. Installed market enabler to get applications that are specific to the UK or US by switching the operator codes
6. Installed LauncherPro (standard launcher is not so great)
7. Now wondering which customer ROM to flash if I can be that brave ..... ;-)
All is running fine and battery life seems good.
With reasonable use one day is never going to be an issue.
Be careful if you follow the steps above (the usual disclaimer ;-) )
I have the Dell Streak 5" & Advent Vega 10" and the 7" format of the Galaxy is my favorite so far........