Advent Vega £250 v iPad £329

Guest jellywobbles

Guest jellywobbles

Just wonder how many "potential" new Vega users will shell out £79 more & buy an iPad, which is now selling @ £329 - a £100 price drop!

When the price difference was £179 it was a no brainer, but now? Hmm! I am not sure.

I know of at least one "lost" Vega sale.

What do you think? Will this new iPad price drop force down the more expensive Android tablets?

Food for thought eh?

Edited by jellywobbles

Guest wobblydoggy
Just wonder how many "potential" new Vega users will shell out £79 more & buy an iPad, which is now selling @ £329 - a £100 price drop!

When the price difference was £179 it was a no brainer, but now? Hmm! I am not sure.

What do you think? Will this new iPad price drop force down the more expensive Android tablets?

Food for thought eh?

Naahhhh ipad would be a downgrade in my eyes specs wise sd card/hdmi/tegra think I'll stick

Guest Lennyuk

Depends what your after really, I purchased the vega purely because I wanted an Android tablet, not because it was cheaper than an Ipad. I hate apple, and I love android so it made sense to me, and I won't be the only one.

Guest MonkeyBoy451

I've been reading a couple of articles on various sites this morning stating the same thing...

why would you buy an expensive android tablet (Xoom @ £500 for example) when the iPad 1 is now at £329?

most non-tech people will see the "shiny shiny" of the fruit built device and go for that - even if it is 1st generation.

if the Xoom/G-Slate/GTab/etc are all to compete with the fruit based company, then they'll need Wifi only versions selling around the same £300-£350 area to at least make people take a 2nd look at an Android tablet.

Guest dagrim1
I've been reading a couple of articles on various sites this morning stating the same thing...

why would you buy an expensive android tablet (Xoom @ £500 for example) when the iPad 1 is now at £329?

most non-tech people will see the "shiny shiny" of the fruit built device and go for that - even if it is 1st generation.

if the Xoom/G-Slate/GTab/etc are all to compete with the fruit based company, then they'll need Wifi only versions selling around the same £300-£350 area to at least make people take a 2nd look at an Android tablet.

I actually don't think it'll matter too much.

People who buy medium to high range android tablets (vega being medium, xoom/tab etc being high range) make their decisions based on the specs and possibilities, people who want to buy a cheap tablet to play around with still don't go for a vega or ipad imo.

I bought the vega for the possibilities, don't think I would get an ipad even if it is about the same range. Sure, there will be SOME people going for the ipad instead now, but I don't think the numbers will be that high.

Guest Vansphone

I had exactly the same thought this morning.

I am told the Ipad 1 is well built with a really crisp screen. I would like to use my tablet as an eBook reader. Not it's primary use but I can see me using it half hour or so a day as a reader. Therefore I thought the Ipad might be worth a buy just for the screen.

However, I then thought, it has no SD card expansion and I am a very heavy memory user. It has no USB so no external mass storage or the possibility of a 3G dongle at some point in the future and I always grumble about iTunes.

So I think I am still going to buy a Vega and hope the screen is good enough for reading eBooks. If not £75 is most of the way towards a Kindle.

Guest Lennyuk

I am told the Ipad 1 is well built with a really crisp screen. I would like to use my tablet as an eBook reader. Not it's primary use but I can see me using it half hour or so a day as a reader. Therefore I thought the Ipad might be worth a buy just for the screen.

However, I then thought, it has no SD card expansion and I am a very heavy memory user. It has no USB so no external mass storage or the possibility of a 3G dongle at some point in the future and I always grumble about iTunes.

So I think I am still going to buy a Vega and hope the screen is good enough for reading eBooks. If not £75 is most of the way towards a Kindle.

its easily good enough to use kindle for android, I have no issues reading on it (which I regularly do)

Guest jellywobbles

If it helps I have access to:-

Advent Vega (my own)

iPad v1 (my sons)

Kindle 3 (my own)

Both the Vega & iPad are far too bright for prolonged reading. The Kindle 3 is (without doubt) the best Gizmo I have bought in years (& that includes my well loved Vega)

You don't appreciate just how outstanding the screen is on the Kindle 3 until you have read half a dozen chapters of a book on a Vega / iPad.

Just my 2c worth - hope it helps!

Guest sipart

ipad 1 stock and refrub ipad 1 stock will quickly deplete and only the ipad 2 will be on sale for the normal price (which is between £430-£480 for base WIFI model?).

Guest Stooby

Even if the Ipad1 was significantly cheaper than the Vega, I would go for the Android every time!

I work on the "if it ain't broke, fix it until it is" philosophy (with a Nandroid safety net), so I see the Ipad as a very boring proposition in comparison to anything running Android.

Guest carl rose

I'll have to be honest with you. If I can sell my vega with the case, bluetooth gps and car cradle for £280 I would go out and buy an ipad today. Purelly because of the screen as the ipad screen is just the best compared to any tablet. I might put it on ebay but unlike when there was no stock and you could sell them for a lot of money now I can hardly find one on there. Yes, you are limited to 16GB but i don't plan on using more than that anyway nor buy a 32gb card. Another thing is the usb, well I have not used it although I got the host switcher. I can use the vega as a sat nav but it bounces too much so don't think i will be sticking it to the car window. There is really no more differences? The camera?? Vega camera is rubbish to be honest. I liked the vega because of the attractive price but that has now been leveled out so...

Just being honest here.

Guest Dyonas

I knew the iPad 2 was being announced yesterday and I still bought my Vega. As others have said before me, I didn't get it because it was cheaper than the iPad, I got it because I wanted an Android tablet that wouldn't break the bank. At £249 it should keep me going until the first generation of Honeycomb tablets drop a little in price and that's more than enough for what I want. If the Vega gets Honeycomb then I might even keep it until the second generation of Android tablets come around.

Guest steviesteve

If you stagger about with your arms stretched out in front of you with dribble hanging off your chin - go for the iPad. You do understand how brand helps people reinforce their identity right?

If you actually have a functioning brain and enjoy being in control of the devices you have paid for, enjoy a bit of tinkering etc - buy the vega.

Sorry if anyone is offended, that's the way I see it (a former Apple fan who got fed up of spending a fortune to upgrade to the latest kit and find it superceded witihin weeks, only to hear the boss of Apple bloating on about how much profit they are making!!!!!).

Flame away!

Guest bennji_boy

Food for thought eh?

Being honest I wanted an iPad, didn't know anything about Android, but was put off the price and I probably would have been tempted if that was the price when I bought the Vega.

However. if I'd have known then what I know now having used the Vega and android I wouldn't have bought an iPad for half the price of a vega.

Unfortunately I think some people may lose out by choosing the iPad based on the price.

Guest bennji_boy
If you stagger about with your arms stretched out in front of you with dribble hanging off your chin - go for the iPad. You do understand how brand helps people reinforce their identity right?

If you actually have a functioning brain and enjoy being in control of the devices you have paid for, enjoy a bit of tinkering etc - buy the vega.

Sorry if anyone is offended, that's the way I see it (a former Apple fan who got fed up of spending a fortune to upgrade to the latest kit and find it superceded witihin weeks, only to hear the boss of Apple bloating on about how much profit they are making!!!!!).

Flame away!

You've basically described a pre-android me there.

Thank the lord I went for a vega

Guest Sanddancer75

I'd imagine the lower price of the 1st gen iPads is just to shift what's left of the stock. They'll want rid of it so it doesn't compete against the 2nd gen version.

Edited by Sanddancer75

Guest Sir Gash
I'd imagine the lower price of the 1st gen iPads is just to shift what's left of the stock. They'll want rid of it so it doesn't compete against the 2nd gen version.

Agreed, although part of me thinks Apple thought it would also be a blow to the many Honeycomb tablets coming out as well! Isn't the best news to have within a week of Honeycomb's launch

Guest zzleezz

I have also tried Vega vs Kindle vs iPhad (oops!) for book reading purposes.

What I found was that the Kindle 3 ruled them all, for the purpose of reading a text book there is nothing close to the experience of reading an actual text book, the closest you will get to the real thing is a reader with e-ink. I wont say Kindle 3 is the best as I have no experience of other dedicated readers, but if its LCD vs e-ink then for reading text e-ink is very much the best option.

It gets more complicated when you throw PDF's into the ring though... I had my Kindle first and was hoping at the time to use it to read programming manuals and various other PDF's that contain tables and diagrams. Well it can open them, you can read them but you soon get very bored of trying to find a screen zoom that suits what you are trying to read. Which was when I decided to look at a tablet machine.

I looked at the iPad for the sake of completeness and ruled it out, it was always unlikely as I had always managed not to buy into apple before. I can appreciate that they work and work very well but I prefer devices that I can have a say in.

I settled on android as an OS and ultimately the Vega. Works great reading PDF's even with free Adobe reader software, I use mainly the paid for app EZ PDF which is very good also.

I have access to an iPad and decided to compare the PDF reading experience on that to my Vega. Well thats where I really found I had made the right decision. I thought I would be able to just open a PDF on the iPad, nope, needs an app. Ok I thought, must be a free PDF reader app on the app store, nope. There is not a one, and the ones that are available are EXPENSIVE! I looked at other app catagories that I would have been interested in, it really struck me then that there is a marked difference in the ratio of free apps on iTunes compared with android market. Also the cost of apps on iPad seemed to be higher than on android. Pence for a lot of very useful apps on android and pounds on apple.

I would not buy an iPad if they were £200, just would not be something I need and too expensive to run.

Guest waj1234

I am happy with my vega. I use kindle on it too but with a black background and white text as its easier on my eyes. My wife has the kindle 3 and I like it but still prefer to read on my vega with the black background as I find it perfect.

Guest davethechamp

I have been following the release of most of the new Android tablet and the Ipad2, yes they are impressive but very pricey for not much more funtion (IMHO).

The ipad is good, screan / usability / and cheap(ish) now, but it doesn't offer the funtions of the vega - USB connectivity for portable HDD or flash drives, web cam (for when skype finally support), MicroSD function, flexability of music and video to name a few.

At the price point of the Vega, it seems very little comes close to it!

(bought my Vega toady!! - Hands on next week)

Guest jellywobbles

Flame away!

+1

Couldnt have put it better, but, sadly there are still millions of "mindless sheep" out there who'll be following the flock! :(