[LINUX] - HOW TO: Ubuntu on Android

Guest pat.plus

Guest pjg_pigeon
This is awesome... though I can't make it work on my Streak.

Are you all on DJ Steves newest rom? I have a rooted 2.2 on official firmware (version 318).

I have read somewhere from my searching through google that this may due to the missing loop possibilities. Anyway, just wanted to hear from you that have a working Ubuntu which rom you are having?

Ubuntu working for me on 1.8.0

Guest a_friend

after running bootubuntu i get the following error

apt-get command not found after typing apt-get update?

Phone is rooted, busybox installed running latest streakdroid 1.8.1

Guest icediced
What's the error message?

Can't quite remember - I had to format my SD card last night (unrelated to this, I felt like formatting it because it was filled with stuff I don't need). going to try again when I have the time, thanks for trying to help anyway! :D

Guest gingernator
Can't quite remember - I had to format my SD card last night (unrelated to this, I felt like formatting it because it was filled with stuff I don't need). going to try again when I have the time, thanks for trying to help anyway! :D

I had some problems with loops (maybe due to perfmod used in the previous versions of StreakDroid??) but after a factory reset and a wipe of my sd card - everything worked fine.

Guest pjg_pigeon

I have the lxde ubuntu version working fine. Not got much experience of linux, was wondering if its possible to access the admin side and maybe get my wireless printer working.

Anyone know if this is feasible?

Other versions of linux that I've seen its easy to find administrative side of the OS but I cannot see it in this version.

On the brother site I know there are drivers but I think they are i386 based will I need to research arm versions.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. If I'm barking up the wrong tree just tell me. :D

Guest pjg_pigeon
had it working...

can't get it to work again...

what do i type in terminal to restart it?...

I restart with

su

cd /sdcard/ubuntu

sh ubuntu.sh

Then re- connect through VNC

Hope this helps but I'm only a beginner myself :D

Guest ClippinWings
I restart with

su

cd /sdcard/ubuntu

sh ubuntu.sh

Then re- connect through VNC

Hope this helps but I'm only a beginner myself :D

Tried that... just get

VNC Connection failed

• 1 month later...
Guest azizayouba
Hello All,

I'm attempting to natively port Ubuntu and/or Debian to the Streak. With it being such a powerful device there really is no reason it SHOULDN'T be running a “desktop” operating system. However, implementing his is quite a difficult task, so if any and everyone's help would be very much appreciated.

In the mean time, this is my first guide on how to get ubuntu running piggyback on the Dell Streak. After quite a while (and numerous different trials), I have found that this is the easiest way to get Ubuntu Mobile up and running fast. All commands can be done through either ADB shell or the terminal emulator on the phone.

This was *NOT* done entirely by me, but is a culmination of the effort of lots of people in the android community. I just modified it so that it would work on the Streak.

**This Installation DOES NOT install Linux natively, and as such is should not be destructive to your Android system, however i take absolutely no responsibility for anything that happens and you do this COMPLETELY at your own risk**

Here is how to do it:

1) Root your phone. There are plenty of guides on how to do it, so find one and get root access on your phone.

**YOUR PHONE MUST BE ROOTED. THIS WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT IT.**

2) Download Ubuntu Mobile Bundle: http://uploading.com/files/bbm6b311/ubuntu.zip/

This contains an image of the filesystem as well as other necessary scripts to get it working.

2) Busybox - Install Titanium Backup from Android Market - if you press the "Problems" button it will install Busybox on your phone for you (Feel free to uninstall Titanium after this is done). This is the fastest and most pain free way to install busybox on the streak that i know of for now (the other ways of doing this ARE NOT fun...)

3) On your SD card's root directory, create a folder called ubuntu and extract all files in the ubuntu mobile bundle there.

4) Replace the bootubuntu executeable file in the ubuntu directory with mine, found here http://www.mediafire.com/?fi011w4fbmymw3y

5) Unmount phone from computer. ADB and Android Terminal will not work if the phone is mounted.

5) Download a terminal from the Android Market - I used Jack Palevich's Android Terminal Emulator (android market search: terminal) but anything similar should work the same

su

cd /sdcard/ubuntu

sh ubuntu.sh
6) Ignore any errors thrown up by ubuntu.sh. From this point, all that is needed to boot ubuntu is just to enter this:
bootubuntu
To start ubuntu from now on, this is all you need to do. You should now have ubuntu working on your laptop, and while it DOES connect to your phone's internet sources, it DOES NOT yet have a graphical interface. Here is how to add one: 1) Update the system with the following commands in ubuntu:
apt-get update

apt-get upgrade
The first one updates the package lists, the second one downloads updates to the system itself. 2) Install TightVNC in ubuntu:
apt-get install tightvncserver
3) Configure TightVNC:
export USER=root

vncserver -geometry 800x480
For security purposes, it is recommended that you assign a password to your VNC server when asked. 4) Download Android VNC Viewer from the market 5) Configure Android VNC Viewer: Change the port to 5901 and type in your password that you entered before. Other Problems There appears to be a bug with the X window server sometimes refusing to connect to VNC. DO NOT change any settings on Android VNC Viewer, instead open a terminal and run the folloring command:
rm -R /tmp/.X11-unix

What Does Not Work – Will Try To Fix

Keyboard from Android VNC Viewer

Shutdown – Does Nothing

Reboot

Log Out

Native Install

I hope you guys enjoy this, and I can't wait to get your feedback.

- Pat

hey pat i have quick question

i am trying to instal ubuntu on my dell streak 5 and i get error message say bootubuntu no find

plz help if u can joe