How do you feel about buying Gameloft games?

Guest PaulOBrien

Vote now! :(

Following on from a Twitter conversation with Gameloft, i'm interested to hear how people feel about Gameloft games not being available on the Android Market (I didn't even know they were available and i'm reluctant to buy through another mechanism!). Maybe it's just me? :(

P

Guest stoney1973
Vote now! :(

Following on from a Twitter conversation with Gameloft, i'm interested to hear how people feel about Gameloft games not being available on the Android Market (I didn't even know they were available and i'm reluctant to buy through another mechanism!). Maybe it's just me? :(

P

lol,I wont buy gameloft titles because of the LACK of security.I feel secure buying apps/games from the market.Not 3rd parties. No comebacks. I dont mind with things like launcherpro plus/titanium backup, but a game? which i dont even know if I'll like? Or if it will even run properly on my phone? Nope. No refund=no chance.

Guest clockwork_LS

tried to buy them, lost interest when they were not in the market... market so handy.

is there a download limit for the market? need for speed shift is in the market and that is 130MB+

Guest Simon O

Two things need to change;

1) The games need to be offered on the Android Market

2) They need to produce one version that works on most devices rather than separate versions

There are a lot of complaints about Gameloft not supporting all Android devices. The download method that have through the built-in browser doesn't always detect the device correctly even if it's suppose to be supported by Gameloft. And using a custom ROM can often mean that Gameloft can't even detect the device at all.

Gameloft are using the excuse that they produce seperate versions for each device to get the best performance. Maybe in the days with Java phones but it's a crazy excuse in 2011. If other big names can produce games for Android which work on most devices without issues, and still look fantastic, then why can't Gameloft do the same?

Guest ritdaw

Direct web sales are pointless as far as I'm concerned. They should probably do both for countries that can't buy paid apps from the market.

Guest Simon O
tried to buy them, lost interest when they were not in the market... market so handy.

is there a download limit for the market? need for speed shift is in the market and that is 130MB+

Large games get around this by letting you download the main game from the market then the game will download the data seperately. Actually the same method is used by Gameloft too so it's not a reason to not use the market.

I reckon their decision is based on control and profit.

Guest pulser
Two things need to change;

1) The games need to be offered on the Android Market

2) They need to produce one version that works on most devices rather than separate versions

There are a lot of complaints about Gameloft not supporting all Android devices. The download method that have through the built-in browser doesn't always detect the device correctly even if it's suppose to be supported by Gameloft. And using a custom ROM can often mean that Gameloft can't even detect the device at all.

Gameloft are using the excuse that they produce seperate versions for each device to get the best performance. Maybe in the days with Java phones but it's a crazy excuse in 2011. If other big names can produce games for Android which work on most devices without issues, and still look fantastic, then why can't Gameloft do the same?

This.

It's not hard to use the market features to make aversion for HDPI/MDPI, and for different graphics platforms. The options should be there now. So rather than making it visible to the user, do it through the market and save customers the trouble.

Who knows if they have a tegra (if you are a n00b)? You know you can go to market and buy games. So add it and be done with it.

I also agree 32% is FAR too high a %age, but given Google's security fail recently, they need to relax that.

Guest DooMmMasteR

a problem with the market are the payment options

Germany for exmple has no significant credit-card subscriber rate and thusly buy rates are reallllllly low in germany

I know about 18 Android users and only 2 of them have brought any app in the market yet

I personally have donated via paypal and other options for good free apps, but have neither brought one on the market, because I simply cannot :( sad that google is not changing the game by addong DebitCards or wire top on

Guest Simon O
a problem with the market are the payment options

Germany for exmple has no significant credit-card subscriber rate and thusly buy rates are reallllllly low in germany

I know about 18 Android users and only 2 of them have brought any app in the market yet

I personally have donated via paypal and other options for good free apps, but have neither brought one on the market, because I simply cannot :( sad that google is not changing the game by addong DebitCards or wire top on

Must be an issue with the market in Germany then since in the UK the Android Market supports debit and credit cards.

Guest Kr0nos

i bought Asphalt 5 the other day when it was only 1$ in the Market, and it was possibly my last paid game, until battery life at minimum dubbles.

To what account is the game asigned if you buy it through the Gameloft website?

Can you install it on more than one Android device at the same time?

Guest dune99
Must be an issue with the market in Germany then since in the UK the Android Market supports debit and credit cards.

I have the same where in Portugal.....

@flibblesan: please check your email, i need it.

Guest Chahk

I voted "Only Android Market" but then remembered that the shameful 15 minute return window pretty much guarantees that I wouldn't be able to refund any of the Gameloft games because it takes longer to download the HD content once the game is installed.

Guest Kr0nos
but then remembered that the shameful 15 minute return window pretty much guarantees that I wouldn't be able to refund any of the Gameloft games because it takes longer to download the HD content once the game is installed.

Yeah i understand that 24 hours were to long, but you should have at least 1h to return

Guest DasErdbeerkuchen

Since I didn't even know they existed, so yeah, I would only buy them in Android Market.

Because if they're not in there, they don't exist.

Guest dune99
Hm, then that is indeed something that Google need to address.

Yes, sames times is very annoying. Thanks for the reply, please check again.

Thanks

Guest gr8gorilla
i bought Asphalt 5 the other day when it was only 1$ in the Market, and it was possibly my last paid game, until battery life at minimum dubbles.

To what account is the game asigned if you buy it through the Gameloft website?

Can you install it on more than one Android device at the same time?

I bought a couple of games from them, but I change phones 2or3 times a year. The game is only good for the device u purchased it for. Change phones = purchase games again. I will never buy another game from them unless they are in the market.

Guest Kr0nos
The game is only good for the device u purchased it for. Change phones = purchase games again.

Than I will never buy a game through their website

Guest bcmobile

Its a shame they're not in the market. They have some decent titles.

You can't misinterperet those poll results. Its pretty clear their absence from Android Market is losing them a ton of sales.

Guest McSpoon

Gameloft have been in the mobile industry long enough to know the best way to make money is to own the portal.

Prior to the iPhone, the only effective way to sell mobile games was through the carrier web portals and each carrier demanded at least a 60% cut. Carriers abused their position. Gameloft and EA Mobile survived, but most of the mobile game publishers went out of business. That could easily happen again. So Gameloft will try anything to have their own marketplace.

But it seems to be backfiring. Perhaps Gameloft need to make a bigger name for themselves first.

Our reliance on the Android Market cannot be a good thing but, so far, most of the competitors are either too small or too greedy. If Google were to be evil and change their business model it could have huge implications for many Android developers.

Guest Xavier
I bought a couple of games from them, but I change phones 2or3 times a year. The game is only good for the device u purchased it for. Change phones = purchase games again. I will never buy another game from them unless they are in the market.

Also had a bad experience of Gameloft on android. Won't buy their games as a result.