Starting Fastboot USB download protocol

Guest b1k3b0y

Guest b1k3b0y

Got stuck with this on my Vega. Flashed it to r8 3 days ago, all fine until I changed today the USB mode to host.

Did the 2 second back button, 2 second power, let go of power button...etc Tried it about 40 times. Checked I had it right by checking load of other posts. Had power cable in. Just comes back to same screen.

Got a mac and can see it in the the System Profiler and tried reflashing...nothing

Booted into Windows partiiton, installed the USB driver...Windows see the device, tried running the restore, but all it sees is an unrecognised device

I have a brick that is useless. Someone please help before this thing get smashed up and into the bin

Guest celyn
Got stuck with this on my Vega. Flashed it to r8 3 days ago, all fine until I changed today the USB mode to host.

Did the 2 second back button, 2 second power, let go of power button...etc Tried it about 40 times. Checked I had it right by checking load of other posts. Had power cable in. Just comes back to same screen.

Got a mac and can see it in the the System Profiler and tried reflashing...nothing

Booted into Windows partiiton, installed the USB driver...Windows see the device, tried running the restore, but all it sees is an unrecognised device

I have a brick that is useless. Someone please help before this thing get smashed up and into the bin

this has just happened to mine. I have ha r8 for ages and never had a problem before

Guest b1k3b0y
Nope just before a long coach journey, typical. Im going to reflash it tomorrow that should fix it

I can't even reflash mine, just does nothing when attempt to

Guest rvdgeer
I can't even reflash mine, just does nothing when attempt to

Pleas try this (to the letter!):

1. Unplug USB cable and power adapter
  2. Reboot the PC
  3. Turn off the Vega by holding the power button for about 10 seconds
  4. Plug in the power adapter and connect the USB cable to both PC and Vega
  5. Press and hold back button...
  6. After exactly 1 second press and hold power button tto (don't release back button)
  7. After another second release the power button (keep pressing the back button)
  8. After yet another second, release the back button too...
It should be in flash mode now...

If not, try this:

1. Unplug the power adapter
  2. Press and hold the back button
  3. While pressing the back button, plug the power adapter back in...
Hope the device is in flash mode now...

If not, try again and again...

Guest b1k3b0y
  2. Reboot the PC
  6. After exactly 1 second press and hold power button tto (don't release back button)
  7. After another second release the power button (keep pressing the back button)

If not, try this:

Done all that...nothing

All it ever says is

Starting Fastboot USB Download Protocol

Guest b1k3b0y
Done all that...nothing

All it ever says is

Starting Fastboot USB Download Protocol

the 2 second thing just doesn't work for my device. In the end I manged to get it back to default by installing ADVENT 1.09 and then reflashed r8

Working again. I've got a headache!!

Guest Qwertymon
the 2 second thing just doesn't work for my device. In the end I manged to get it back to default by installing ADVENT 1.09 and then reflashed r8

Mines done this now :D, and I cant even get it reflashed :/, wont let me reimage with 1.09 at all, how did you get 1.09 on the device again?

Guest Infnordz
Follow the instructions on the vega website and youll be fine

The big problem is those instructions don't work reliably. It took me 1/2 hour of trying to get my Vega (bricked by the r8 USB host mode kludge) into flash mode! :D

IMHO this kludge is end-of-life for v8 and v9 ROM, so needs replacing with a proper, ROM version independent, solution.

I have the dock now, so will be sticking with that for USB host until a non-bricking USB host solution is provided.

How did you do this? I downloaded the execute from the advent site, but it says it cannot find the device to flash? I assume because I cannot get it into recovery mode.

Edited by adfo

Guest CrArC

Can anyone confirm whether this issue is caused by us trying to switch USB modes while USB debugging is enabled?

I just temp-bricked my own Vega this way, followed the recommendation in this thread to reinstall Advent ROM then back to Paul's, and then first unchecked USB debugging before going straight to the USB mode switcher to see if I could replicate the issue.

But this time it worked!

Guest ViPaSoft
  2. Reboot the PC

If not, try this:

Thanks.

After an hour of searching and trying, (bloody 2sec, 2sec, 2sec boot into recovery routine).

Finally got it to boot into recovery.

Thanks again.

Guest rvdgeer
Thanks.

After an hour of searching and trying, (bloody 2sec, 2sec, 2sec boot into recovery routine).

Finally got it to boot into recovery.

Thanks again.

Glad it worked out OK...

But actually Recovery is something different...

You probably mean flash mode...

Guest Prosody

Just an FYI, I got this same problem today.

I had installed BUZZs kernel and was trying to sort out the wifi issue as well as get the XBox 360 controller recognised when I got this error. (I had ADB mode enabled).

Have rectified it booting into the flash mode and restarting.

Previously had 1.08 and the older MCR on so am using this as an excuse to install a fresh the latest stuff. :D

• 1 month later...
Guest je72

This happened to me today too. Rebooted to Slave mode & my beloved vega said "no" well it actually said "Starting Fastboot USB download protocol" but it didn't, it just sat there in a sulk. I got scared, but remember all the stuff about the unbrickablity of the vega, googled the message, no1 result was this thread, followed instructions & reflashed. I'm now about to put Corvus v5 ROM on it to see how that flies.

Thanks you so much for imparting useful information like this.

I'm a happy bunny again.

Edited by je72

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hwaggers

hey, its happened to me, and i am so lost, when i try and flash it, should it come up with APX? on the drivers? and if not, can someone give me a walk through which a 5 year old could understand please. would appreciate the help thanks

Guest simonta
hey, its happened to me, and i am so lost, when i try and flash it, should it come up with APX? on the drivers? and if not, can someone give me a walk through which a 5 year old could understand please. would appreciate the help thanks

Search for YAUDIG and AUDI. Guide and automatic driver installer respectively. Good luck.

• 8 months later...

As a novice, i would like to point out that, as mentioned in the guide posted on this site, the Vega does not display anything on the screen when in recovery mode... I was expecting a header, hence spent ages trying to do the button press sequence and only seeing the SF USB P screen.