Honeycomb coming to Vega clone.

Guest Jisonga

Guest Jisonga

I was following a link posted in the Windows on Vega topic when i came across this page about the Smartbook 360 which i think is a Vega clone.

If you scroll down the page it states that Honeycomb is coming in April for this tablet which could be great news for us Vega owners if its true.

Just follow the link below and see if i am reading this right.

http://www.tabletstoreuk.com/smartbook-sur...ready-p-75.html

Jason.

Guest warriorscot

Already been posted mate in the honeycomb thread. And yes we will be getting honeycomb it is about as confirmed as it gets at the moment.

Guest Jisonga

Sorry mate must of missed that post as i did and try to have a quick look if this had already been posted before i added anothr Honeycomb topic.

Lets hope they get SD card support sorted before they do or i am in trouble.

Jason.

Guest clive_j
Sorry mate must of missed that post as i did and try to have a quick look if this had already been posted before i added anothr Honeycomb topic.

Lets hope they get SD card support sorted before they do or i am in trouble.

Jason.

Anyone got any comments on this article - which claims all current devices are too slow to run honeycomb?

http://www.tabletstoreuk.com/why-honeycomb...eplace-2.x.html

Also would anyone like to hazard a guess when it might be available for the Vega??

CJ

Guest thedicemaster

vega is not too slow, xoom has it already and has same chipset.

i think several other devices already got a honeycomb port as well.

Guest thedicemaster

vega is not too slow, xoom has it already and has same chipset.

i think several other devices already got a honeycomb port as well.

Guest AntiCatalyst
Anyone got any comments on this article - which claims all current devices are too slow to run honeycomb?

http://www.tabletstoreuk.com/why-honeycomb...eplace-2.x.html

Also would anyone like to hazard a guess when it might be available for the Vega??

CJ

I'm so sick of posts like this one. If the Vega is too slow, how can the xoom run it on the same hardware? It's freaking MADE for the tegra2 SOC.

Don't believe all the rumors floating around.

Guest simonta

It's running on the frickin Nook Colour! Of course it will run on a Vega...

The minimum specs are not yet public (AFAIK) and minimum specs are as much to do with "consistent experience" and marketing as they are technical. The laptop I'm writing this on is well below the Windows 7 min specs but runs it just fine.

Guest schprlock

Well, what the article really says is that tablets have to be faster than ARM9 and ARM11. As far as I know, those are ARM v5 and ARM v6.

The Tegra 2 in the Vega is ARM v7. It IS quite fast and it's graphics hardware is pretty powerful too. So the article is saying that Honeycomb will need hardware that is faster than most, nowadays. And MUCH faster than most is the Xoom, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 (or the original, for that matter) and yes, our Vega.

In fact, if you read the last paragraph, it talks about the SmartBook Surfer as hardware that can already run Honeycomb (if honeycomb is available for it). Now, look at the SmartSurfer and the Vega and find the differences. You'll have a hard time finding any, apart from price (and 3G on the 3G model).

Edited by schprlock

Guest dfghggfgfd
Well, what the article really says is that tablets have to be faster than ARM9 and ARM11. As far as I know, those are ARM v5 and ARM v6.

The Tegra 2 in the Vega is ARM v7. It IS quite fast and it's graphics hardware is pretty powerful too. So the article is saying that Honeycomb will need hardware that is faster than most, nowadays. And MUCH faster than most is the Xoom, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 (or the original, for that matter) and yes, our Vega.

You are mixing several things.

ARMv5, ARMv6, ARMv7 etc. are instruction set architectures (ISAs)

ARM9, ARM11, Cortex-A8, Cortex-A9 are all processor-architectures using different versions of the ARM-ISA

For example the cortex-cpus use ARMv7, ARM11 uses ARMv6 and ARM9 uses ARMv4.

The Cortex-CPUs are generally more advanced than the older ARMx-CPUs (in theory up to 2x throughput at the same clock)

Tegra is a SoC, consisting of 2 Cortex-A9-CPUs a Geforce GPU and of course several Co-Processors for Audio/Video En/Decoding as well as controllers for the periphery.

The developing-platform for Honeycomb is Tegra2, so of course the Vega will be fast enough.

Guest schprlock
You are mixing several things.

ARMv5, ARMv6, ARMv7 etc. are instruction set architectures (ISAs)

ARM9, ARM11, Cortex-A8, Cortex-A9 are all processor-architectures using different versions of the ARM-ISA

For example the cortex-cpus use ARMv7, ARM11 uses ARMv6 and ARM9 uses ARMv4.

The Cortex-CPUs are generally more advanced than the older ARMx-CPUs (in theory up to 2x throughput at the same clock)

Tegra is a SoC, consisting of 2 Cortex-A9-CPUs a Geforce GPU and of course several Co-Processors for Audio/Video En/Decoding as well as controllers for the periphery.

The developing-platform for Honeycomb is Tegra2, so of course the Vega will be fast enough.

Yes, I was mixing instruction sets and processor architectures. The relevant factor being that any ARMv7 is fast enough, anything before that isn't (I was under the impression that ARM9 used ARM v5).

Anyway, the main thing is, as you said, "Cortex-CPUs are generally more advanced than the older ARMx-CPUs (in theory up to 2x throughput at the same clock)". Tegra 2 contains a dual core Cortex A9, as does the iPad 2. iPad 1 and Galaxy Tab use a Cortex A8. Other tablets (mostly Chinese mockups), use ARM9/ARM11 and those are just painfully slow, even at much higher clock speeds (The Openpandora has a 500MHz CortexA8 and it's quite a lot faster than any ARM11 at 1GHz).

But making it easier... That article says that crappy tablets don't run honeycomb, the Vega does.

Guest newbe5

Tbh my biggest concern is the resolution on the Vega and the fact that it only has 512mb internal memory and 512mb RAM. All of these (barring possibly the RAM) are surmountable I'm sure, but it might prevent Honeycomb from getting to us quickly after AOSP release.

But to be honest, a great example of "if it can be done, it will be done" is the HTC Hero. started on Android 1.5 and only got official updates up to 2.1, but mine is running 2.3 perfectly, even though it's a pretty old device now. It'll happen eventually :D

Zeb

Guest peter a
Tbh my biggest concern is the resolution on the Vega and the fact that it only has 512mb internal memory and 512mb RAM. All of these (barring possibly the RAM) are surmountable I'm sure, but it might prevent Honeycomb from getting to us quickly after AOSP release.

But to be honest, a great example of "if it can be done, it will be done" is the HTC Hero. started on Android 1.5 and only got official updates up to 2.1, but mine is running 2.3 perfectly, even though it's a pretty old device now. It'll happen eventually :D

Zeb

Looking at http://www.tabletstoreuk.com/smartbook-sur...ready-p-76.html

Same screen (1024x600) , Same Memory: 512MB DDR2 - Internal Memory: 512 MB NAND FLASH (SLC Type)

Cpu NVIDIA ® Tegra250 ™ 1 GHz dual core ?

They say HONEYCOMB UPDATE AVAILABLE IN APRIL !!!

Guest acildikirlettim

Yea, the only difference is that no system image will be brought to this thingie directly from Nvidia.

"16.03.2011

NVIDIA is only supporting the Ventana platform for android releases going forward. At the moment we have released Froyo and Gingerbread OS images for Ventana and will release Honeycomb after Google has done so.

Andrew Edelsten

Tegra Developer Relations

NVIDIA Corporation"

Smartbook can either modify Nvidia's Ventana 3.0 image or create from batch using SDK. I hope the former will happen,coz I guess it will be much more optimized.

Edited by acildikirlettim

Guest Lennyuk
Yea, the only difference is that no system image will be brought to this thingie directly from Nvidia.

"16.03.2011

NVIDIA is only supporting the Ventana platform for android releases going forward. At the moment we have released Froyo and Gingerbread OS images for Ventana and will release Honeycomb after Google has done so.

Andrew Edelsten

Tegra Developer Relations

NVIDIA Corporation"

Smartbook can either modify Nvidia's Ventana 3.0 image or create from batch using SDK. I hope the former will happen,coz I guess it will be much more optimized.

Our roms don't come from Nvidia anyway, its down to our OEM to supply and judging by the fact 3 clones have all said HC for April my guess is the OEM has already confirmed it....

Guest dfghggfgfd
Yes, I was mixing instruction sets and processor architectures. The relevant factor being that any ARMv7 is fast enough, anything before that isn't (I was under the impression that ARM9 used ARM v5).

Well, the speed of a CPU generally is independent from the ISA. You could built a CPU which isn´t faster than ARM11, but uses the ARMv7 ISA.

Of course generally newer CPUs tend to be faster and use newer versions of the ISA as well.

For example the Scorpion (CPU in the Qualcom Snapdragon Soc) also implements the ARMv7 ISA, but shows different performance-characteristics than the Cortex-CPUs.

Guest jamsiel

Prior to picking up my Vega a month ago, the Vega rom updates were quiet frequent.

They have be quiet of late, fingers crossed its because the next one will be honeycomb based *crosses fingers.

Guest Johnrg

Hi Guys,

I don't suppose any of you know if the Modaco ROM for the Vega would work on the 3G Smartbook?

Obviously the Vega doesn't have 3D and GPS so are they missing within the standard Vega ROM, or will they already be in there? I quite fancy the Vega/Smartbook with 3G, but want to ensure I can get the Market on there.

Also, just a thought...

The OEM of these tablets is WSL Japan. I'm not sure where in Japan they operate, but its possible that things, both stock and updates, will get delayed due to the tragic events of last week. The promised HC release might get delayed. I'm not scare scaremongering, and I've no proof, its just a thought really. I'd hate for everyone to moan about broken promises when its down to the earthquake.

John

Guest Infnordz
Looking at http://www.tabletstoreuk.com/smartbook-sur...ready-p-76.html

Same screen (1024x600) , Same Memory: 512MB DDR2 - Internal Memory: 512 MB NAND FLASH (SLC Type)

Cpu NVIDIA ® Tegra250 ™ 1 GHz dual core ?

They say HONEYCOMB UPDATE AVAILABLE IN APRIL !!!

Very interesting! :D The dock looks identical to the Vega one, and the back looks the same as the Vega even the mini (SIM?) door at the top, like the Vega. Maybe we could get the internal 3G/GPS parts and ROMs images for this and upgrade a Vega with little difficulty.

Guest add.thebad

not a particularly good source but i hope it does come to the vega and i see no reason y not honeycomb is made for tegra 2 with no physical buttons. if not is should be simple to build once the source is out