Japanese Jellyfish - Remixed, Refreshed

Guest Len Ash

Guest Len Ash

Over the past month or so, I have either supplied remotely or flashed personally many many OSF phones for friends/family etc.

In 90% of cases, I have used JJ9. Why? Because, despite the odd quirk, it has always worked for everyone and never caused me any "support" issues whatsoever. And having used a few other FroYo ROMs, with the possible exception of MCR R12, none quite cut the mustard. I use JJ9 as a basis for my own OLED OSF daily.

So, in an attempt to offer some of the remixed versions and prolong the life of JJ9, here are a few of the ROM versions I have "composed" recently. All work and are in use today somewhere in the UK and/or Europe. These were intended to be light, good looking everyday smartphone builds rather than pseudo-Games consoles. They are particularly suitable for anyone who wants to flash a ROM with certain features or additions in one go, and easily.

Before I list, it is clearly appropriate to credit the 2 folk who did all the real work. Kallt_Kaffe and Frankish. I dare say others contributed too...

Anyway, there are more than these, but TBH Megaupload is 'kin slow.

All the ROMs are basically the same in terms of kernel, libraries, drivers etc. The differences are in the detail. All are easy to flash using CW 2.5.1.8 or later.

All have updated Ringtones and Notification sounds, updated Apps, black background Messaging, no live wallpapers or overclocking and if you use an O2 based VN, O2 UK is displayed. Adding Tesco/giffgaff etc is a serious PITA with the Softbank ROM.

The display Auto-brightness has been recalibrated for improved usability and battery life.

If you are flashing from JJ8 or later, there should be no need to wipe Cache or Data....

All are under 128MB in size, the basic App ones far less...

#1 JJ9 with Gingerbread theme and only basic Apps, no Hardware acceleration md5 1136b39494e5662a94db973b7b972e9e

JJ9 with Gingerbread theme and basic apps only

#2 JJ9 with the Blue Circle Battery mod and only basic Apps, no hardware acceleration md5 b2590cbcf2c3ff221bfc768588500641

JJ9 with Blue Circle Battery mod and basic apps only

#3 JJ9 with Blue Circle Battery mod, basic Apps only plus hardware acceleration md5 878b9dd5ca848258283609070524b5f5

JJ9 with Blue Circle Battery, basic apps plus HW accel

#4 JJ9 with no theme or Circle Battery (i.e."stock") plus hardware acceleration md5 a4ed48658890cc78f25670e67bbdc89d

JJ9 stock, basic Apps with HW acceleration

#5 JJ9 with Blue Circle Battery mod plus common Apps, no hardware acceleration md5 43128dd165fcb271dbc2967861a4a266

JJ9 with Blue Circle Battery and extra Apps

#6 JJ9 with original Gingerbread theme plus common Apps, no hardware acceleration md5 d25f53b789eae4984a84d418770a4702

JJ9 with Gingerbread theme, extra Apps, no HW accel

The "common" Apps include

Barcode scanner, Fancy Widget, Engadget, AppBrain Market, Ebay, Google Shopper, Facebook, Astro File manager (instead of Filer), Twitter, Speedtest, Youtube and Amazon UK. These can be deleted from the ROM prior to flashing. Or use the basic versions and add your own choice from the Market...

Known issues:

Terminal Emulator FCs - fix is to install version (by Jack Palevich) from Market.

Popular versions of the ROMs will be fixed in time, but the fix is easy from the Market...

NOTE:

Remember to select "Wifi turns off with screen" in WiFi settings - setting to "never" appears to work...!

Please don't ask about Battery Life/WiFi/VPN/A2SD. Everything that has been said before in the original JJ9 threads applies. In my experience, Battery Life on JJ9 is easily comparable to other 2.2 ROMs and WiFi is A1. Or I wouldn't have based this lot on JJ, would I?

Edited by Len Ash

Guest Len Ash

RDS Radio versions (due credit to Andorko)

NOTE that the RDS Radio by Andorko currently misbehaves in terms of closing the App (in all ROMs not just these)

#7v2 JJ9 with Gingerbread theme, common Apps, Andorko's RDS FM Radio and Hardware acceleration MD5 561b05f5233a9db7eb45ff6591d621eb

JJ9 with Gingerbread theme, common Apps, RDS FM Radio hardware accel ON

(Terminal Emulator FC fixed)

#8 JJ9 with Gingerbread theme, common Apps, Andorko's RDS FM Radio, no Hardware acceleration MD5 4b0f8dd37cae16cb3b24ea4ada69451f

JJ9 with GB them, RDS radio, no HW accel

#9 JJ9 with Blue Circle Battery, basic Apps only, Andorko's RDS FM Radio, no HW acceleration MD5 8f75f50de95a51cb9353d859a35e0917

JJ9 with Blue Circle Battery, RDS Radio, no HW Accel

Not for the feint-hearted....

#10 JJ9 with NO Theming, very basic Apps, Andorko's RDS FM Radio, AHB overclocking kernel, Hardware acceleration ON and Stagefright enabled - UNTESTED! MD5 657cdba45d5725e56c685ee525247d06

JJ9 with basic Apps, RDS Radio, HW accel ON, AHB o/c and Stagefright

#11 JJ9 "Rockall" Gingerbread md5 db437e512f3583b000888e8016b13e72

JJ9 "Rockall"

This minimalist Gingerbread version has just phone Apps, no fluff. Use as a base to build on or leave light. Or overclock... Just 103MB...

Also has Hardware acceleration on, VM Heap at 38MB, StageFright on (not http), AHB overclockable.

Terminal Emulator fine

Edited by Len Ash

Guest Len Ash
thankyou for these,

can I be a PITA and ask for md5 sums for every one

Just doing them now.... verrrryy slowwww

(Northants too huh?)

Edited by Len Ash

Guest Len Ash
Could you make ROM with HW, overclocking and RDS capable kernel + GingerBread keyboard please?

I can, but may take a few days to get the time to do it.

Are you happy to test it though????

Guest galorin
Not for the feint-hearted....

#10 JJ9 with NO Theming, very basic Apps, Andorko's RDS FM Radio, AHB overclocking kernel, Hardware acceleration ON and Stagefright enabled - UNTESTED! MD5 657cdba45d5725e56c685ee525247d06

JJ9 with basic Apps, RDS Radio, HW accel ON, AHB o/c and Stagefright

Taking #10 to my wifi testing grounds to give it a battering. I hope you can keep on top of this, make it your own. JJ9 was a great ROM, and if you can keep it alive, much kudos to you.

Guest Len Ash
Taking #10 to my wifi testing grounds to give it a battering. I hope you can keep on top of this, make it your own. JJ9 was a great ROM, and if you can keep it alive, much kudos to you.

LOL

180 to get, 1 dart, best of luck!

Guest Len Ash
Just flashing it now will get back to you one what I thought :D

#10?

Whoa, brave! I'm just doing some remixes of MCR R12 for someone, so spare phone tied up...

Let me know what gives...

Edited by Len Ash

Guest thelongmile

looking forward to giving these a go, anyone got a preference yet?

Would anyone like me to upload screenshots or anything?

Edited by thelongmile

Guest thelongmile

Just trying out number 1 2 and 7 now, looks great so far, but a couple things

I'm personally a fan of live wallpapers... is this something I can add back in?

only other thing is it seems to be sucking battery life very hard, just might be worth looking into (12% battery loss in as many minutes)

Cheers!

Guest Len Ash
Just trying out number 1 2 and 7 now, looks great so far, but a couple things

I'm personally a fan of live wallpapers... is this something I can add back in?

only other thing is it seems to be sucking battery life very hard, just might be worth looking into (12% battery loss in as many minutes)

Cheers!

Live Wallpapers not a problem. And Magic Smoke. Zip for CW Recovery attached.

Battery life - should be as JJ9, which is pretty good. Bear in mind that the Battery stats will be way off for a few charges and you're probably using the phone hard at the mo.

Live_Wallpapers.zip

Edited by Len Ash

Guest thelongmile

Thanks for the heads up, quite enjoying number 7 right now, seems to be VERY snappy, although that probably wont help my battery :D

No worries on packaging one with the live wallpapers, I decided to figure out how to do it myself, save you some effort. Great work

Guest Len Ash
Thanks for the heads up, quite enjoying number 7 right now, seems to be VERY snappy, although that probably wont help my battery :D

No worries on packaging one with the live wallpapers, I decided to figure out how to do it myself, save you some effort. Great work

In the post above... !

You could use the zip to add your own apps if you like.

Guest mrradmir
Tested, works!

Guest thelongmile

happy to say that 1, 2 and 7 are all purring along quite happily, 7 is doing far better, and quite stable so far, about to hammer it...

by the way should, gmail be black?

Edited by thelongmile

Guest Len Ash
happy to say that 1, 2 and 7 are all purring along quite happily, 7 is doing far better, and quite stable so far, about to hammer it...

by the way should, mail be black?

Messaging you mean? If so, you can change it to white or black now....