Has anyone managed to use a custom rom on Orange UK B10 ?

Guest Tadger

Guest Number1One

Cheers chig, i downloaded it but how do you install it? clockwork doesn't seem to recognise it, and when i changed it into an archive zip it was aborted. Im guessing it need to be in a specific file sequence or something that i judt dont understand?

yeh ive been looking at the other threads, this one seemed the most relevant to be honest, but im reading them all for any tips lol

Guest Number1One

Btw my phone came with 2.1-update 1, is that new and whats causing the problem or were earlier models being shipped with the update?

Guest Number1One

Btw my phone came with 2.1-update 1, is that new and whats causing the problem or were earlier models being shipped with the update?

Guest chig00
Cheers chig, i downloaded it but how do you install it? clockwork doesn't seem to recognise it, and when i changed it into an archive zip it was aborted. Im guessing it need to be in a specific file sequence or something that i judt dont understand?

yeh ive been looking at the other threads, this one seemed the most relevant to be honest, but im reading them all for any tips lol

Extract folder from archive using program which understands bz2 archives, for example 7zip, then put it on memory card into folder /clockworkmod/backup so that overall location of .img files is /clockworkmod/backup/2011-03-20.17.32.32/ and everything should work

Guest Number1One

Chig thanks so so much, got it back to b10 stock rom. And guess what screen works fine lol.

So now the dilemma, am i happy with oranges bloatware 2.1 phone? Obviously it would be better to have a custom rom, will it be possible to tweak a custom rom to work on b10's?

or is it worth replacing it for a white one that has older firmware and known to work lol.

Guest sambartle
Were they white? grey? LEAD or TRULY screens?

Both Grey, Both LEAD screens, Both running B10 ROM as standard.. Both working fine with custom ROMs.

I've got a third one as well but haven't had a chance to try that one yet.

Edited by sambartle

Guest ronc2000
Many users reported problems, many reported no problem and I am sure many more users without problems did not report.

One "concludsion" I draw is that there must be some mistake, somehow non reversible, made somewhere along the process, as this is the biggest variations among all users.

This is still my "conclusion". Though many users have "done" more than one phones with different results.

Unless a large batch of the phones have quality issues which is unlikely.

Guest Society
This is still my "conclusion". Though many users have "done" more than one phones with different results.

One user flashing two devices on the same day using the same method but with one success and one failure suggests that there's some other relevant variable.

I suspect that the Orange Product Code (readily available from sticker on retail box) may provide an identifier clue if we could collect more data: from the limited samples available so far I note that OZTN1120 devices have been OK but OZTN1122 devices have had problems. Can anyone provide confirmation or else counter-examples?

Do you all have no problem at all with the touchscreen on the stock orange uk b10 rom, after you've reflashed it? Because some phones have faulty touchscreens that only start being faulty after a few days, my first one had to be returned. If it works flawlessly on the stock rom, but on no other rom, it'd suggest there is a new batch of phones with a new touchscreen, but i'm naturally sceptical.

Edited by wbaw

Guest abarthman
... from the limited samples available so far I note that OZTN1120 devices have been OK but OZTN1122 devices have had problems. Can anyone provide confirmation or else counter-examples?
Just checked the boxes and both mine are OZTN1122. One's fine and one isn't.

I've been racking my mind to think what I did differently and I can think of two things:

1. I used clockwork 2.5.1.8 on the one that works fine.

I used clockwork 3.0.0.6 on the one that has the occasionally non-responsive screen.

2. I fully charged the one that works fine before putting JJ on it.

I didn't fully charge the one that has the occasionally non-responsive screen before putting JJ on it.

Let me know (in simple layman's terms!) what, if any, other checks I can carry out to tell if the handsets are different in any other way.

Edited by abarthman

Guest Number1One

If it helps, Mine ran fine with the stock rom.

I charged mine fully before doing anything.

My product code was 22

I unlocked the phone first.

I used the newest clockwork.

Hope it helps :D

Guest DrEzkimo
If it helps, Mine ran fine with the stock rom.

I charged mine fully before doing anything.

My product code was 22

I unlocked the phone first.

I used the newest clockwork.

Hope it helps :D

how did you unlock it as my friend would be happy keep the stock if the could unlock

Guest andynx1

Bought our b10 from Argos on Saturday. Had FLB rev11, JJ and now swedish spring. No problems on any of them.

I used the unlock ap to unlock the phone, universalandroot to root, then rom manager to flash clockwork. Everything has been fine and dandy - lucky me by the sound of it.

Using an o2 sim, and swedish spring 2.2 and am very pleased. The only reason we bought the phone was to unlock and flash froyo, it's be going back if we couldn't!

Guest TheBrainKafka

try holding down the +Vol key during boot up of the phone.

This worked at least for a german user....

Can anyone confirm this?

Guest kozlovda
One user flashing two devices on the same day using the same method but with one success and one failure suggests that there's some other relevant variable.

I suspect that the Orange Product Code (readily available from sticker on retail box) may provide an identifier clue if we could collect more data: from the limited samples available so far I note that OZTN1120 devices have been OK but OZTN1122 devices have had problems. Can anyone provide confirmation or else counter-examples?

I confirm... Bought mine "Grey" (black indeed :D ) OSF OZTN1122 on 26.03.2011, was too selfconfident to not check display type because successfully flashed 2 white OSFs a day before (UPD: it's TRULY). It should be B10 since it didn't allow me to boot up into bootloader with "Power & Vol+". Flashed in the same sequence as described here: UniversalAndroot + RecoveryManager + Clockworkmod + JJ9

Was too dumb to not create backup of stock ROM :D so now looking for one...

Can someone please share backup of original stock OZTN1122? Would be really appreciated... Kindly provided by chig00.

UPD:

Thanks chig00!! I finally brought my OSF back to life!

Checked display type, it's TRULY.

It's more about Touchscreen module now.

Here are screenshots of *ZTE*CHIPINFO# and "About Phone" section respectively:

post-860302-1301013496_thumb.png post-860302-1301013854_thumb.png

Edited by kozlovda

Guest ronc2000
UPD:

Thanks chig00!! I finally brought my OSF back to life!

Checked display type, it's TRULY.

It's more about Touchscreen module now.

Here are screenshots of *ZTE*CHIPINFO# and "About Phone" section respectively:

post-860302-1301013496_thumb.png post-860302-1301013854_thumb.png

This is very unusual.

Grey OSF B10 should have a LEAD glass.

Could the backup rom have changed it?

Guest Danhandy
This is very unusual.

I had the same on the stock ROM, i cheked before i flashed. Flashed JJ9, same problem :D :D

Guest kozlovda
This is very unusual.

Don't think so. This seems have nothing to do with display type but rather touchscreen module.

There is definitelly something different in new stock ROM of new Gray OSF series (OZTN1122).

We just need someone handy to figure that difference out and incorporate into existing ROMs (e.g. JOHN77's)

Volunteers wanted =)

Guest TheBrainKafka
try holding down the +Vol key during boot up of the phone.

This worked at least for a german user....

Can anyone confirm this?

Anyone tried this yet ?

This brought the Tochscreen back to live for this menationed user....

Edited by TheBrainKafka

Guest kozlovda
Anyone tried this yet ?

This brought the Tochscreen back to live for this menationed user....

I did with JOHN77_v5 - not a sign. Held Vol+ pressed just after power up (but not on power up to avoid fastboot mode) - device booted up, and touchscreen didn't react.