[addon][CM7] Updated / More Google Apps [2011-08-15]

Guest Schwinni

Guest JayGB1982
Jay, no offence meant, but I have to disappoint you on the Facebook app. It is just no Google app.

Also I don't want to have to do anything with Facebook. I never had a FB account, never will have one and I don't want to support them in any way.

None taken.. It was just that those were the remaining options available after using the zip you provided.

Google have a few other apps which could also be merged into your zip perhaps?

Another one which springs to mind is Shopper? Although it's not that great to be fair lol

Depends on the direction you wish to take this really...

Edited by JayGB1982

Guest HELLienadO

If I decide to add them I think it's time to start thinking about a Java program which can build a personalized zip file with the Google apps you select. :D

That would be great, a gapps.zip kitchen.

I delete and install any app I want on /system/app using root explorer, I just move them(after installation on the market) from /data/app and keep'em on a folder on the sdcard, then I copy them whenever I want(after a fresh rom installation for example) to /system/app and just change permissions to rw-r--r-- for each one, I install everything on system but games, that way I always have plenty of space for apps without the need to change partitions B)

Cooking a zip would simplify this work(not that it's too much work, you just have to buy root explorer, it well worth the money, and it's cheap anyway).

Cheers

Guest Schwinni

I just started writing the Java classes.

I'd like to build it as a J2EE application, but I think my internet connection isn't fast enough (I don't have VDSL yet) to host it on my Tomcat server.

Anyway I will build it in a way where the GUI (Swing/SWT or HTML) can be easily adopted.

Guest shadowninty

I just use Astro to add apps... its much quicker than a PC app due to turning on computer, copying to SD etc

Nevertheless, good luck with the app! :D

Guest BILLCHRISTOY

Hi to everybody.

I am using the latest cm7 (the one with the duck logo) i tried to install the market app.,which is not included into the rom,and just doesn't show up.

i also tried this gapps-gb-20110401-signed.zip (md5: f7ba9cba1ee9f7348fdcdfa144ef56a2)

and always i get a force close.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Schwinni
Hi to everybody.

I am using the latest cm7 (the one with the duck logo) i tried to install the market app.,which is not included into the rom,and just doesn't show up.

When installing one of the single package you must install gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip before.

i also tried this gapps-gb-20110401-signed.zip (md5: f7ba9cba1ee9f7348fdcdfa144ef56a2)

and always i get a force close.

Thanks in advance.

Can you list the steps you did before opening Market the first time, please?

Guest JayGB1982

How are you installing the gapps zip?

You need to do it under clockwork...

Ensure that cache / dalvik cache is clear to be sure..

I did the CM7 flash then gapps in one clockwork swoop. No reboot inbetween and had no issue's with this at all.

Guest BILLCHRISTOY

Hello again.

1 try)

I did wipe cache,factory settings,dalvik cache.Right after it i flashed cm7 by using clockwork 3014 on the same boot i flashed gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip and gapp-market-2-3-4-signed.zip but market didnt show up after all.

2 try)

Did all the wipes

flashed cm7,reboot,gapps20110307,reboot,market zip and reboot.Still market doesn't show up.

Maybe i have a faulty installation of the clockwork.I ll do a reinstallation and try again.

Thanks anyway for your infos. :D

Guest Schwinni

The way you did it on your first try is correct. Directly flashing everything after flashing the rom itself.

If your third try also fails, then please try CM7 RC4.

Guest BILLCHRISTOY
The way you did it on your first try is correct. Directly flashing everything after flashing the rom itself.

If your third try also fails, then please try CM7 RC4.

OK i ve got a solution to my problem.

i 've read the tip shadowninty is doing by installing market through astro file manager.Tried it and at last market icon had showed up.You can search for apps and click for download,but from the moment that starts download you get a force cloce.

I did some googling and end up here:

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/17417-m...ved-fix-inside/

I gave a try and flashed by clockwork this>gapps-gb-20110120-signed.zip.

You can get it here:>http://goo-inside.me/google-apps/

And FINALLY i have Market fully functional. B)

By the way i'm using rc4 but later i ll give a try also with the latest cm7.

Thanks again for your tips folks. :D

Have a good night.

Guest Schwinni

My gapps package ist built on gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip.

I think I have to compare gapps-gb-20110120-signed.zip and gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip and find out why the version 2011-03-07 causes trouble for some people.

Guest oh!dougal

Pardon me, but I'm not sure why you would prefer to install the various apps to /system.

If you have standard partitioning (and thus an excessively large /system freespace), and you are reflashing your phone more often than app updates are available, then I suppose its not much of a disadvantage.

But what's the actual advantage of deliberately loading into /system?

Guest Schwinni
Pardon me, but I'm not sure why you would prefer to install the various apps to /system.

If you have standard partitioning (and thus an excessively large /system freespace), and you are reflashing your phone more often than app updates are available, then I suppose its not much of a disadvantage.

But what's the actual advantage of deliberately loading into /system?

Like you said, users with a default partition layout have the most benefit. The system partition is 207MB in size. The size of a typical ROM is between 100 MB and 140 MB. Since installations done via market are placed on the data partition you waste 60-100 MB of 512 MB in total.

It totally makes sense to install basic apps like Gmail, YouTube or Maps to your system partition. You will have more space for other apps.

If you don't feel that the Google apps are an integral part of an Android system, then you are a free to install them via market.

Anyway, most ROMs come with Gmail, YouTube and Maps pre-installed. Hence, they are installed on /system.

Since CM is that popular, Google wanted the CM team to remove the Google apps from their ROM. That's why a separate gapps package is offered, which again only contains market and some other basic helper apps and libs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Schwinni

I hope I don't have to update the packages too often any more.

But unfortunately I had little time for coding the last days.

Anyway, the project GappsBuilder is not dead. :)

Guest Schwinni
can i use this apps on CM6 German ?

About the language: The Google apps are definitely multi lingual and contain German language also.

About using them on CM6 (which is Froyo): I really don't know.

For the all-in-one package I would say no, because it is based in the CM package for Gingerbread.

The single packages contain the APK files like they came from the Android market. The market knows which Android version is on the phone. So it's very likely that these packages are also for Android 2.3.x only.

On the other hand, many apps have "version 2.2 or higher" as requirement in the market, which means they could work on Froyo also.

You could try flashing the single packages in order to update the apps for CM6. But I wouldn't install the update package for the market (too risky that there's an own version for every Android version).

Of course you should make a backup before you try that. :)

Guest frenchdroid

Finally used the flexi-Gapps - thanks for your work.

Hope its OK to ask a dumb question here, which is kind of related:

How can I remove unwanted bits and pieces from CM7 installation ? I have read of people stripping out unwanted language bits, and other apps, but didn't know how ?

Tx

Guest Schwinni
How can I remove unwanted bits and pieces from CM7 installation ? I have read of people stripping out unwanted language bits, and other apps, but didn't know how ?

Just open the Zip file and delete the files you like to remove from the subfolders of the system folder.

But be really careful what you delete. It is very advisable to make a backup of your current system before.

Guest frenchdroid
Just open the Zip file and delete the files you like to remove from the subfolders of the system folder.

But be really careful what you delete. It is very advisable to make a backup of your current system before.

Thanks for the reply. Its that simple ? Great - even I can do that (after googling for a list of what is safe to remove).

Guest Schwinni
Its that simple ?

For apps, yes. If you want to change any settings then you perhaps will have to edit some config files also.

Great - even I can do that (after googling for a list of what is safe to remove).

When you have a backup you don't have to worry. Normally roms (zip method via Clockwork) don't anything with the partitions.

So, when you removed something basic, you always can reenter Clockwork and reflash your Nandroid backup or an unmodified rom.

• 3 weeks later...