[addon][CM7] Updated / More Google Apps [2011-08-15]

Guest Schwinni

Guest unrandomsam

I have a question to all users of my packages:

Shall I include the latest market app (version 3.x) or shall I wait until Google makes it also (officially) available outside the US?

Please give me some opinions.

Also tell me if you already tried the new market and had any problems in your country.

Thanks in advance!

I would prefer it if you didn't

(Think its for tablets doesn't work well on my phone).

Breaks market enabler. (So cannot get the new music app officially).

Guest JayGB1982

I would prefer it if you didn't

(Think its for tablets doesn't work well on my phone).

Breaks market enabler. (So cannot get the new music app officially).

Works fine here on my San Fran.

Go for it :)

Guest femilovechild

Hello all. First comment so please be gentle. I cannot seem to get the gapps installed on my blade. I've gotten it up to the latest nightlies (156) without any problem, but just cannot get the google apps to show up! I boot into recovery, wipe data/cache/dalvik cache, then install gapps-gb-full-20110729-signed.zip, yet i do not get this one time configuration thing that was mentioned, neither can i add a google accout under accounts and sync. The instruction on the first page doesnt help either!(How to install Follow the steps like described in CM7 Nightlies Topic or CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.3) Nightlies Thread!)I go to those links and they were of no use, and the nightlies thread got more than 357 posts for me to trawl through! I will appreciate if anyone can show me what i am doing wrong. P.S: The link http://android.d3xt3...0307-signed.zip is dead incase I do need to install that before installing gapps-gb-full-20110729-signed.zip. Thanks in advance.

Guest Schwinni

Hello all. First comment so please be gentle. I cannot seem to get the gapps installed on my blade. I've gotten it up to the latest nightlies (156) without any problem, but just cannot get the google apps to show up! I boot into recovery, wipe data/cache/dalvik cache, then install gapps-gb-full-20110729-signed.zip, yet i do not get this one time configuration thing that was mentioned, neither can i add a google accout under accounts and sync.

The "normal" way is to install the ROM and then the Google apps directly after it - without rebooting.

I don't think that the one time initializer launches when you install the Google apps when you already booted into the rom. But that shouldn't matter if you use the full package.

Anyway, you should be able to add your Google account in the settings.

Something else must be wrong. Hmm...

The instruction on the first page doesnt help either!(How to install Follow the steps like described in CM7 Nightlies Topic or CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.3) Nightlies Thread!)I go to those links and they were of no use, and the nightlies thread got more than 357 posts for me to trawl through! I will appreciate if anyone can show me what i am doing wrong.

Like I said above. That's the normal way:

- download the zip file for the rom

- download the gapps (normal + additional packages OR full)

- reboot into recovery

- wipe data / factory reset

- install the rom

- install the gapps

- reboot

P.S: The link http://android.d3xt3...0307-signed.zip is dead incase I do need to install that before installing gapps-gb-full-20110729-signed.zip. Thanks in advance.

Ahh OK, gonna change the link.

But anyway, you don't need this package when you use the full package.

Two questions:

What are your partition sizes?

How did you upgrade to Gen2?

@all

I have a lot to do at work at the moment, but I hope I can test the new market the next days.

Also, I have to add the new Google+ version.

Perhaps, in the meantime, I get some more opinions on the new market. ;)

Guest femilovechild

The "normal" way is to install the ROM and then the Google apps directly after it - without rebooting.

I don't think that the one time initializer launches when you install the Google apps when you already booted into the rom. But that shouldn't matter if you use the full package.

Anyway, you should be able to add your Google account in the settings.

Something else must be wrong. Hmm...

Like I said above. That's the normal way:

- download the zip file for the rom

- download the gapps (normal + additional packages OR full)

- reboot into recovery

- wipe data / factory reset

- install the rom

- install the gapps

- reboot

Ahh OK, gonna change the link.

But anyway, you don't need this package when you use the full package.

Two questions:

What are your partition sizes?

How did you upgrade to Gen2?

@all

I have a lot to do at work at the moment, but I hope I can test the new market the next days.

Also, I have to add the new Google+ version.

Perhaps, in the meantime, I get some more opinions on the new market. ;)

Thanks for your quick response. My phone was originally a gen1 using FLB froyo r6. I used the CM7.0.2 stable TPT to get to gen2, then rom manager to 7.0.3, which is the last stable one thats got all my apps and gapps properly installed. (I used Titanium Backup to restore all my apps after the TPT upgrade). Then to go to N156, I boot into recovery, format /system, then install the N156 rom from sdcard. Installation goes well, except no gapps. All my other apps remain. Then I try booting back to recovery, wipe data/cache (did not format /system), install gapp full, still no luck. I can get my phone back to 7.0.2 stable because that's the last backup I did via recovery manager, then install 7.0.3 all over again. I didnt set any partition, just installed by default. Hope my explanation makes sense.The new market is fine at the moment on my 7.0.3. Got the apk somewhere and it installed without a glitch.

Edited by femilovechild

Guest Schwinni

Thanks for your quick response. My phone was originally a gen1 using FLB froyo r6. I used the CM7.0.2 stable TPT to get to gen2, then rom manager to 7.0.3, which is the last stable one thats got all my apps and gapps properly installed. (I used Titanium Backup to restore all my apps after the TPT upgrade). Then to go to N156, I boot into recovery, format /system, then install the N156 rom from sdcard. Installation goes well, except no gapps. All my other apps remain. Then I try booting back to recovery, wipe data/cache (did not format /system), install gapp full, still no luck. I can get my phone back to 7.0.2 stable because that's the last backup I did via recovery manager, then install 7.0.3 all over again. I didnt set any partition, just installed by default. Hope my explanation makes sense.The new market is fine at the moment on my 7.0.3. Got the apk somewhere and it installed without a glitch.

Reflash N156 and install gapps directly afterwards - before rebooting.

Guest femilovechild

Reflash N156 and install gapps directly afterwards - before rebooting.

Just did the sequence again. 7.0.2, 7.0.3, boot to recovery, format /system, install N156 from sdcard, did not reboot, install gapp full from sdcard, rebooted. Same thing. No google account in accounts & sync and no option to add one. The google apps that were already there from 7.0.2/7.0.3 just launches and close. Strange. At the moment I'll be sticking with 7.0.3 till probably 7.1 stable comes out. Thanks anyway...

Guest Schwinni

Just did the sequence again. 7.0.2, 7.0.3, boot to recovery, format /system, install N156 from sdcard, did not reboot, install gapp full from sdcard, rebooted. Same thing. No google account in accounts & sync and no option to add one. The google apps that were already there from 7.0.2/7.0.3 just launches and close. Strange. At the moment I'll be sticking with 7.0.3 till probably 7.1 stable comes out. Thanks anyway...

Do another try, but do not use the full but the normal package this time. If that works, your system partition is too small.

Then the Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom.zip will help you.

Edited by Schwinni

Guest femilovechild

Do another try, but do not use the full but the normal package this time. If that works, your system partition is too small.

Then the Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom.zip will help you.

Update: Flashed with CM7 RC1 TPT, format /system, flashed N158, gapp full, and now all is working! Thanks a million! Now to decide whether OMC is worth buying or just wait for Huaweii u9000 (Ideos X6). Thanks again.

Guest Schwinni

Update: Flashed with CM7 RC1 TPT, format /system, flashed N158, gapp full, and now all is working! Thanks a million!

Seems like your system partition wasn't 160MB yet. :)

Now to decide whether OMC is worth buying

What is that?

Guest Schwinni

Today I received the update to Market 3.

Now that Google updates the market outside the US also, there's no need to keep it out of the gapp packages.

Today I received the update to Market 3.

Now that Google updates the market outside the US also, there's no need to keep it out of the gapp packages.

You should test it out for a bit first. The version that I downloaded & installed when it first came out showed some app descriptions in random languages. Also check that it can still see copy protected apps (Wolfram Alpha is one).

If it all works at least as well as the old one, then there is no need to keep it out of gapp packages.

Guest Schwinni

You should test it out for a bit first. The version that I downloaded & installed when it first came out showed some app descriptions in random languages. Also check that it can still see copy protected apps (Wolfram Alpha is one).

If it all works at least as well as the old one, then there is no need to keep it out of gapp packages.

I have seen that the latest "official" gapps (http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110729-signed.zip) already contain Market 3.0.27.

I could provide a downgrade package. ;)

But I think it's hard to avoid the update to Market 3 for CM7 users. The only way which comes to my mind is to delete MarketUpdater.apk.

I already found a disadvantage of the new market app: installed apps are shown alphabetically. The old app showed the last installed first in the list. That was better IMO.

I didn't realise the official cm7 gapps package had been updated. I just tried the version that was 'leaked' when it first came out in the us. hopefully they've fixed that language bug now. You should definitely include it then. It did seem better overall except for that annoying language bug. I don't see much point in a downgrade package if everything works ok & it's officially being pushed to cm7 users in europe. Removing MarketUpdater might break it, I'm not sure, it'd need testing.

I see the version recommended for cm7 users on the gapps page is still 20110613, so I'm not sure now. Does the version that gets pushed to your phone exactly match the gapps version? md5 match?

[edit] looks like the google talk doesnt work on the blade in the latest official gapps package, car home not there either at least on gsf, maybe why it's not recommended? Market seems good though & new Books too.

Edited by wbaw

Guest Schwinni

I didn't realise the official cm7 gapps package had been updated. I just tried the version that was 'leaked' when it first came out in the us. hopefully they've fixed that language bug now. You should definitely include it then. It did seem better overall except for that annoying language bug. I don't see much point in a downgrade package if everything works ok & it's officially being pushed to cm7 users in europe. Removing MarketUpdater might break it, I'm not sure, it'd need testing.

Yes, you're right. When Google rolls out the new market globally, we shouldn't provide an old version. I think market 2.x won't get any updates regarding protocol changes and what not.

I see the version recommended for cm7 users on the gapps page is still 20110613, so I'm not sure now. Does the version that gets pushed to your phone exactly match the gapps version? md5 match?

You mean the included market version? Yes it is the same which I got via update.

[edit] looks like the google talk doesnt work on the blade in the latest official gapps package, car home not there either at least on gsf, maybe why it's not recommended? Market seems good though & new Books too.

Many thanks for testing. And I was hoping the Blade user could have Google Talk with the video function.

Then I have to switch back to the old versions of Talk and Car Home and provide a new package tomorrow.

One question: Did you only try the APKs from the gapp package or did you include the new/updated lib/apk (libtalk_jni.so & GoogleServicesFramework.apk) also?

Guest Schwinni

Alright, due to the new updated files libtalk_jni.so & GoogleServicesFramework.apk the full package definitely doesn't fit into the system partition - even if I leave out Goggles and Sky Map.

Like wbaw already mentioned, Google Talk doesn't work. This version seems to be the one with video function which doesn't work on our Blades at all anyway (needs ARMv7).

What I also have found out:

http://goo-inside.me/gapps/ doesn't list gapps-gb-20110729-signed.zip anymore.

http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/ still lists that file, and additionally gapps-gb-20110810-signed.zip with Google Books removed (due to size issues?).

So what, does that mean?

Since the CM Wiki lists gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip as latest version, I will use this file as base again.

I'm gonna do some tests now and hope to upload the new version in about 1 hour.

Guest JayGB1982

Alright, due to the new updated files libtalk_jni.so & GoogleServicesFramework.apk the full package definitely doesn't fit into the system partition - even if I leave out Goggles and Sky Map.

Like wbaw already mentioned, Google Talk doesn't work. This version seems to be the one with video function which doesn't work on our Blades at all anyway (needs ARMv7).

What I also have found out:

http://goo-inside.me/gapps/ doesn't list gapps-gb-20110729-signed.zip anymore.

http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/ still lists that file, and additionally gapps-gb-20110810-signed.zip with Google Books removed (due to size issues?).

So what, does that mean?

Since the CM Wiki lists gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip as latest version, I will use this file as base again.

I'm gonna do some tests now and hope to upload the new version in about 1 hour.

I used your latest version yesterday with N161+ and it does not even fit in my 167Mb system partition, I rolled back to the last gapps package. I did see there was a newer version but decided against trying it. Goog job I decided against it too by the sounds of it.

Looks like we will need a 180Mb system for this all to fit.?

Guest Schwinni

I used your latest version yesterday with N161+ and it does not even fit in my 167Mb system partition, I rolled back to the last gapps package. I did see there was a newer version but decided against trying it. Goog job I decided against it too by the sounds of it.

Yes, I had the same problem. Too many files went too big.

Looks like we will need a 180Mb system for this all to fit.?

Really, no. No 180 MB partition.

The Gen1 to Gen2 TPT uses 160 MB system (which will give 167MB in Titanium). That must be enough.

This add-on shall not demand that users have to TPT a larger system partition again and again.

Anyway, like I posted above, I have rolled back to gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip as base.

Due to the larger size of YouTube 2.2.16 and Market 3.0.27, Googles and SkyMap have been thrown out of the package.

Upload right now...

• 1 month later...
Guest unrandomsam

Finished. Files have been uploaded, post edited.

The full package fits into the 160 MB partition again. :)

Are you still keeping this up to date ?

Guest Schwinni

Are you still keeping this up to date ?

Sorry for the late reply and the delay with the update - a lot of work at the moment.

I hope to be able to update the package the next days

• 3 months later...
Guest RaoulTeeuwen

Thank you Schwinni

A question from a noob: after i put CyanogenMod on my ZTE Blade, i found out it had no Google Apps. Searching, i found your thread. I downloaded the full pack, unzipped and copied the contents of the ZIP to the root of the SD. I booted the phone, started Filer and started every APK i found in the Systems-folder of the SD.

What i wonder: where are the apps installed?

Anyhow: as i assumed the apps got installed somewhere else than where the APK was, to save space, i deleted the system folder after installing. The apps still show on the phone. I can start YouTube, Maps etc. But when i start Market (Vending.apk, funny it is not called market.apk), i get a message i need to add an account, and when i click add account, the home screen is shown. When i try to add an account under Settings / Accounts & Sync, i first wonder why it concerns an Exchange-account; but i input my google-account ([email protected] and pwd). After pressing NEXT userinfo is fetched and i get a screen where domain/usernaam is like \username, my password seems to be filled in, and there is a field Server which says gmail.com. When i click NEXT, i get a screen saying "checking server config of incoming mail" (i'm translating to English, don't know the exact English version of the message) immediately followed by error "can't establish connection to the server". It doesn't matter whether i check or uncheck the certifaction/ssl-fields.

Any idea what might be wrong?

• 2 months later...