ROM stagnation

Guest stoolzo

Guest stoolzo

Hi, the ROMS situation seems to be stagnating a little, is anyone working on a ROM which contains all the latest fixes for V1.09 - usb host, performance pack, market etc. Would be nice to have a one stop shop fully working ROM for daily use - whether it be Ginger or Froyo.

Whats the very latest on Honeycomb, is the a DEV thread anywhere?. I have to say I suprised we havent seen anything yet as I would have though this device a popular one due to its excellent price.

Guest bazanime
Hi, the ROMS situation seems to be stagnating a little, is anyone working on a ROM which contains all the latest fixes for V1.09 - usb host, performance pack, market etc. Would be nice to have a one stop shop fully working ROM for daily use - whether it be Ginger or Froyo.

Whats the very latest on Honeycomb, is the a DEV thread anywhere?. I have to say I suprised we havent seen anything yet as I would have though this device a popular one due to its excellent price.

As much as we'd like to think it is, its not actually that popular with the masses, only enthusiasts and some lucky buyers that don't care about or cant afford the shiny iDevice. With the bad screen and lacklustre stock ROM installed, the great little Vega is relegated to bargain bin status and not even on display in the stores.

There is another thread here that explains the Honeycomb status. I don't know about the gingerbread status.

You really have to praise Paul and co for bothering to bring out the true potential of the Vega and frankly it can still work beautifully as it is now with all the patch work of bug fixes here and there. So patience is advised, I'm sure something is cooking behind the scenes, after all it bears the same guts as the top class tablets.

Guest zzleezz
As much as we'd like to think it is, its not actually that popular with the masses, only enthusiasts and some lucky buyers that don't care about or cant afford the shiny iDevice. With the bad screen and lacklustre stock ROM installed, the great little Vega is relegated to bargain bin status and not even on display in the stores.

There is another thread here that explains the Honeycomb status. I don't know about the gingerbread status.

You really have to praise Paul and co for bothering to bring out the true potential of the Vega and frankly it can still work beautifully as it is now with all the patch work of bug fixes here and there. So patience is advised, I'm sure something is cooking behind the scenes, after all it bears the same guts as the top class tablets.

Crazy talk!

Not popular? This little gem of a gadget was constantly sold out within minutes of going on sale on a regular basis from November until quite recently, yes it might be in the main enthusiasts but that is not to say there are not a lot of us here!

Also dont forget that the Vega is one of many clones, we have already benefited from roms appearing earlier on other parts of our clone tree, all of that makes our user base pretty big. Another thing is there are many tegra2 devices around now that are not direct clones and many more about to be released that are close to our own hardware. All of that will give devs rich pickings for creating weird and wonderful roms.

Having had android devices for some time now and having also come from a lively windows mobile modding scene I have seen this lull in development quite a few times before. This always happens when a big OS upgrade is on the horizon and dev work will slow to a crawl while they wait for ASOP to become available on the next version. Not much point in further development on 2.2, in fact I cant really see what could be done to make it much better, maybe just incorporating a few fixes and mods but nothing major. As for 2.3 well thats kinda there in CM7 port but again, not really much point in wasting a lot of time on that when it will all be for nothing in a short while anyway. Honeycomb is the big carrot that is waiting just over the horizon and when that gets here we will get a few weeks of frantic work to get it working, then some more time getting the bugs sorted, then the customizations, then a lull when Icecream gets rumoured.

Bargain bin! Pah. It might not be a premium device but this is where the action is going to be. It only recently became available in stores due to the flash fiasco, and I am pretty sure that if they had enough stock they would be on display.

Three months into ownership and I could not be more pleased with this amazing little device, and I can only see it getting better over the coming months.

*edit*

Eeeek!! Bazanime! I just realized that you are the same guy that said yesterday in a different thread that you have not even got your vega yet! A little harsh dont you think to dis a product that you dont even have yet?

Edited by zzleezz

Guest bazanime

LOL yes sir I haven't got one yet, but if you look carefully you will see I wasn't dissing our little hero tablet, I'm actually very excited in anticipation.

Alas I was just stating abit of hurtful truths about its popularity. I guess my opinion is abit tainted by immense exasperation over the relentless media and blog talk of the iKing...they even manage to fit it into every sentence of the Japan disaster. Anyone would assume it was the only tablet in existence. My local Currys, huge store, had two working idevices on display but 1 galaxy tab powered down and had to ask specifically for a Vega which took two people to find and then wait for it to charge up enough to turn it on. Frustrating.

You know what? I stand corrected and I'll boost my positive with yours. I have even suggested it as an alternative to the iMaxipad to two of my colleagues. :D

Guest Kevrae

The most likely reason they aren't on display in certain stores is the alarm and mounting equipment, getting hold of replacement pads(stick the alarm to the back) is quite difficult, the reason behind this is that top brass has realised how massive the tablet market is about to expand and a new merchandising solution is about to be rolled out very soon. So therefore ordering any old equipment is currently difficult, if not impossible. Keep eyes peeled in stores as from what I've been told it should be good.

Guest bazanime

I walked by the shop few minutes ago and there is a big poster on the door saying the Advent Vega now available with emphasis on the price. Very nice.

Guest trevor432990
The most likely reason they aren't on display in certain stores is the alarm and mounting equipment, getting hold of replacement pads(stick the alarm to the back) is quite difficult, the reason behind this is that top brass has realised how massive the tablet market is about to expand and a new merchandising solution is about to be rolled out very soon. So therefore ordering any old equipment is currently difficult, if not impossible. Keep eyes peeled in stores as from what I've been told it should be good.

Urmm can you interpret what 'new merchandising solution' means in English please? :D

Edited by trevor432990

Guest Kevrae

Basically the displays will be much better for properly displaying the tablets and ready for the many that are due out. Can't say more than that as at the moment I really don't know.

Guest trevor432990
Basically the displays will be much better for properly displaying the tablets and ready for the many that are due out. Can't say more than that as at the moment I really don't know.

Now that I understand ... thanks :D

Guest extrememonkey

My local Currys digital has a Vega on display, spoke to one of the sales team and he said they cant get enough of them in and are considering an unofficial waiting list for potential buyers, and that the device on display is always being used in store, even the lack of the market on said display device isnt putting people off (mainly due to the sales team unofficially advising people of how to unofficially install the market)

Guest simonta

zzleez is bang on. In terms of ROMs, it's close to the limit on teasing bang for buck out of the Vega on Froyo. Should see a similar scale of leap forward when Honeycomb is released by the AOSP. We also need devs to start producing top notch tablet apps but with the state of the market and the level of app theft on Android, that won't happen until Google pull their finger out, sort the market and DRM for apps and remove the niche that the Amazon app store et al are filling.

Guest mingoid
zzleez is bang on. In terms of ROMs, it's close to the limit on teasing bang for buck out of the Vega on Froyo. Should see a similar scale of leap forward when Honeycomb is released by the AOSP. We also need devs to start producing top notch tablet apps but with the state of the market and the level of app theft on Android, that won't happen until Google pull their finger out, sort the market and DRM for apps and remove the niche that the Amazon app store et al are filling.

It's a chicken and egg thing. I need a honeycomb tablet before I can port my app/write more - the emulator runs like a dog... :D

Guest rferrett

So is piracy ripe with Android? You know in the course of my life I have often had an erm.... relaxed attitude toward copyright law. But find that the micropurchases on Android just are not something I have felt any desire to copy. Have probably spent more on software since getting my desire in May than I did in the previous 5 years.

Guest simonta

Estimates are hard to come by but it's certainly high. I've seen analysts put it at as much as 40%. Two problems I think, the non-availability of paid apps in some countries and people who used to say "it's too expensive" or "I'm not really stealing anything as I couldn't afford to buy it anyway" and are now going to ADVERTISING SPAM or wherever to nick something costing two quid. I even saw DVDs for sale on flea bay with all the "latest free and paid apps".

Whatever the real rate, it is beyond doubt that it's stifling progress on apps compared to iPhads. Devs are making a lot more money on iOS, as a proportion of users, and therefore the app quality is higher.

Personally, I believe the only way to address it is for Google to add proper copy protection to the market. The current licensing server is a good step but there are too many ways to circumvent it.

Software theft has always held back innovation and especially so on Android with Google not seeming to give a toss and margins so small. Unless you're getting hundreds of downloads a month, there's just not enough money in it to take most devs from doing what they can in spare time to doing it to pay the bills.

I'd wager that there are many folks who steal software then bitch that there aren't enough good apps - a great definition of hypocrisy in my book. Much the same as ripping off music then complaining that the charts are full of girl/boy bands and x-factor pulp.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/...-games-concerns

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/08/28/andr...iracy-heat-map/

Guest zzleezz

I've heard a few things about this ADVERTISING SPAM. Really not tempted that way tho, combination of usually low cost for legit apps and risk of security leaks with pirated puts me right off.

Agree that Google needs to get its act together, hopefully soon. This OS has come a long way in a very short time, would be a great shame if it stalled now.

Guest bazanime

why do i get the feeling that Paul has been so quiet because he is working with Advent on the next official ROM, Officialy? Would be awesome cool.

Edited by bazanime

Guest zzleezz

Unfortunately for us he is quiet because he has been on holiday.

Quite an interesting person to follow on twitter @paulobrien hope I spelled that right. Mix of good humour, blogging and updates on what he is working on. Can also be a real tease.....

Guest Qwertymon
My local Currys digital has a Vega on display, spoke to one of the sales team and he said they cant get enough of them in and are considering an unofficial waiting list for potential buyers, and that the device on display is always being used in store, even the lack of the market on said display device isnt putting people off (mainly due to the sales team unofficially advising people of how to unofficially install the market)

we as staff are allowed to say you can install the android market apk if you can find it, we can also give a few more app sites, and we can also say alot of devs have pushed the vega further then the stock capabiltys, "modaco even hosts the kernal for the vega, one of the main distributers of unofficial roms for the vega" Ive directed people from the pigging phone to these forums anyways, I think the only thing we wouldn't be allowed to do is the upgrade itself unless the customer asked us too, and provided the software.

On the piracy issue, try as I might I just can not get samurai 2 vengeance to download and install on my vega, either by the app store or the android app, it just starts to download and then cancels (Ive paid for it as well as most the tegra optimized games), I got annoyed it wouldnt install so I went on the hunt for the APK and it was suprisingly easy to find (and install it), I can now play it and it was worth the £3 I spent on it, but I was surprised at how easy it was to find it :/

Edited by Qwertymon

Guest bazanime

Qwertymon You bring up a good point that got me thinking...

Do I have to install a custom ROM like Paul's? If I can get the APK files for all the standard Google Apps including Marketplace, can I live with the stock (more stable) ROM?

Anyone care to answer?

Guest beegee1962
Qwertymon You bring up a good point that got me thinking...

Do I have to install a custom ROM like Paul's? If I can get the APK files for all the standard Google Apps including Marketplace, can I live with the stock (more stable) ROM?

Anyone care to answer?

You can use the [Clean Rom Add-On] Rom Add-On For V1.09 Firmware V2 [updated 23/02/11][Full Market]. This add on is installed over the stock ROM.

Sorry for the link to XDA, but I can't find the thread here in MoDaCo.

What do you mean with "more stable" stock ROM. The MoDaCo R8 runs in several mod versions and with several kernel updates stable as a rock on my tablet. I Tried other ROMs, stock (1.09), CynanogenMod, FujiLight, but always went back to the R8.

Edited by beegee1962

Guest bazanime
You can use the [Clean Rom Add-On] Rom Add-On For V1.09 Firmware V2 [updated 23/02/11][Full Market]. This add on is installed over the stock ROM.

Sorry for the link to XDA, but I can't find the thread here in MoDaCo.

What do you mean with "more stable" stock ROM. The MoDaCo R8 runs in several mod versions and with several kernel updates stable as a rock on my tablet. I Tried other ROMs, stock (1.09), CynanogenMod, FujiLight, but always went back to the R8.

Sugoi! Thanks man. Is it safe to try that rom out and then later go for R8? I just want to see what both worlds feel like when I get my Vega.

Gomen... I meant stable as in the little bugs that appear as a result of a full rom mod, afterall you can't make delicious pie without burning yourself a few times :D. Of course I don't mean their no useable, modaco rom is designed for real use and very impressive. XDA roms seem quite unstable from what I read there.

p.s...yah I'm abit of an otaku with crappy Nihongo skills :D

Guest beegee1962
Sugoi! Thanks man. Is it safe to try that rom out and then later go for R8? I just want to see what both worlds feel like when I get my Vega.

Gomen... I meant stable as in the little bugs that appear as a result of a full rom mod, afterall you can't make delicious pie without burning yourself a few times :D. Of course I don't mean their no useable, modaco rom is designed for real use and very impressive. XDA roms seem quite unstable from what I read there.

p.s...yah I'm abit of an otaku with crappy Nihongo skills :D

konnichiha

hai, abunakunai desuyo.

It's no problem to switch between the MoDaCo, stock and CynanogenMod roms. I did it several times whithout any problems. As I always wipe all before trying a new rom TitaniumBackup would be a recommendation from me. At least you get your apps and settings back quickly.

Guest zzleezz

I would add doing a nandroid backup with clockworkmod is a belt and braces approach to getting it all back exactly how you had it if things dont go well.

My setup, which is the most stable I have found (tried them all!) is stock 1.09 rom, install modaco r8, then the custom kernel from buzzing bee that is here on these forums and on xda. BB is releasing a new version of his kernel today.

Some things to download while you wait for delivery - get the 1.09 recovery rom AND the USB drivers from myadventvega.com they will be your fall back if you get in a tangle. Might as well get a modaco r8 downloaded as well :D A really handy tool is is Vega Tools v3.0 by Solidare. Amongst many other things you can use this to 1 click install clockworkmod on your vega, a process that has in the past caused a lot of head scratching :D

I assume you have devoured the guides topic here by Percy25?

Guest Lennyuk

Rom development has not stopped but I agree it has slowed, but not because of loss of interest.

Basically with the way MCR8 is there is little room for improvement until someone knew fixes bugs that exist or a new stock rom comes out, or we get Honeycomb.

I know for a fact that at least 2 new "stock, modified" roms, with various bug fixes will be out in the next month or so which should replace MCR8 on a lot of your devices.

Then in April we should also see some form of HoneyComb, at first it might be buggy but we will have to wait and see.