[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest Michealtbh

Hey guys, another new user here. I previously owned a HTC wildfire which was always running the latest nightly of cm7. I won a blade this week so it was finally time to pass my beloved wildfire down to my girlfriend and move on. Naturally the very first things I did with my blade were to root, install cwm and flash cm7.

First time I flashed I had nothing but problems, random freezes and reboots, DTa2sd not working properly, apps force closing etc. I decided to do another full wipe and reinstall and now everything deems to be working fine. Launcher pro is a bit laggy but I've read this is common.

I have a few general questions which might be better suited in the general section but since I'm here and they may well be cm7 related I'll ask here.

1. What is generally a safe maximum overclocking speed? Currently I'be a max of 729mhz and it seems pretty stable.

2. Is overheating normal when using the phone intensively? I've noticed temperatures in excess of 40c. My wildfire never got this hot.

3. Can someone recommend a good quality silicone/gel case? I don't mind paying a bit extra for something of good quality

Overall I'm very happy with the blade. The screen is delightful and games play remarkably well in comparison ti my wildfire. I very much look forward to becoming part of this community, and of course testing nightlys as soon as they come out :)

Guest jayhix

thanks for the info guys, i shall try the swype button!

Edit: works! :D also double tapping that button asks if you want to delete the word from the swype dictionary! also very useful!

Edited by jayhix

Guest samjam
Hey guys, another new user here. I previously owned a HTC wildfire which was always running the latest nightly of cm7. I won a blade this week so it was finally time to pass my beloved wildfire down to my girlfriend and move on. Naturally the very first things I did with my blade were to root, install cwm and flash cm7.

First time I flashed I had nothing but problems, random freezes and reboots, DTa2sd not working properly, apps force closing etc. I decided to do another full wipe and reinstall and now everything deems to be working fine. Launcher pro is a bit laggy but I've read this is common.

I have a few general questions which might be better suited in the general section but since I'm here and they may well be cm7 related I'll ask here.

1. What is generally a safe maximum overclocking speed? Currently I'be a max of 729mhz and it seems pretty stable.

2. Is overheating normal when using the phone intensively? I've noticed temperatures in excess of 40c. My wildfire never got this hot.

3. Can someone recommend a good quality silicone/gel case? I don't mind paying a bit extra for something of good quality

Overall I'm very happy with the blade. The screen is delightful and games play remarkably well in comparison ti my wildfire. I very much look forward to becoming part of this community, and of course testing nightlys as soon as they come out :D

You're overclocking by 20% and wonder why you get force closes, random freezes and reboots and overheating....

And you say it seems pretty stable...

:D

Without overclocking my phone gets slightly warm when watching video or playing birds.

Guest Michealtbh

My wildfire (which also had an ARMv6 processor) was overclocked to 729mhz. It was perfectly stable. I haven't had a single freeze or reboot in over 24 hours so I'm assuming it's pretty stable. Battery life seems decent too using the smartass governor. What CPU speeds are generally considered safe?

Guest chimas

Overall I'm very happy with the blade. The screen is delightful and games play remarkably well in comparison ti my wildfire. I very much look forward to becoming part of this community, and of course testing nightlys as soon as they come out :D

Okay first things first. overheating is not normal on any phone. that can only mean you are working your phone a little too hard.

as for the overclocking, i'm not a big fan but I have read somewhere on this site that that's a matter of trial and error. all phones are not the same. that said it's up to you to find the speed your phone runs at stably. For the silicone case, I suggest looking online. Ebay have a great selection and I have found some amazon aswell. welcome to the community :D

Guest jayhix
Okay first things first. overheating is not normal on any phone. that can only mean you are working your phone a little too hard.

as for the overclocking, i'm not a big fan but I have read somewhere on this site that that's a matter of trial and error. all phones are not the same. that said it's up to you to find the speed your phone runs at stably. For the silicone case, I suggest looking online. Ebay have a great selection and I have found some amazon aswell. welcome to the community :D

+1, all phones are different if your phones rebooting reduce your overclocking speed thats more than likely the issue.

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
My wildfire (which also had an ARMv6 processor) was overclocked to 729mhz. It was perfectly stable. I haven't had a single freeze or reboot in over 24 hours so I'm assuming it's pretty stable. Battery life seems decent too using the smartass governor. What CPU speeds are generally considered safe?

There isn't "safe", no two CPUs are identical. And just because the Wildfire's CPU was ARMv6, doesn't mean it was anywhere near the same. "Safe" is the point at which things don't crash and don't overheat on YOUR phone. It doesn't matter if someone can overclock to 800MHz, if you can only to 620 or so, that's what you have to live with.

Guest Michealtbh

Thanks for the quick replies. I think I'll reduce the max speed, hopefully that should help reduce overheating. Are there any bugs I should be aware of apart from those mentioned in the first post?

Guest Fou-lu
Thanks for the quick replies. I think I'll reduce the max speed, hopefully that should help reduce overheating. Are there any bugs I should be aware of apart from those mentioned in the first post?

after a day or two you will be able to answer that, not everybody experiences the same bugs on CM.

Guest chimas

there's hardly any info on the first page. you should check the old forum for all the currently known bugs and how to fix some of them. and what the Guy above me said.

Edited by chimas

Guest nobug

CHANGED: IT IS A PROVIDER SPECIFIC PROBLEM... ARRRR :D

Outgoing call's are not working in CM7 (and JJ9) with virtual network provider (national roaming)

and 3G data enabled.

This is the setup:

- CM7 (all nightlies and RCs) (same on JJ9)

- German provider solomo (on virtual network vistream)

- Data connection via HSDPA (national data roaming enabled)

1. Start call

2. Shows establishing call

3. NO ring signal

4. Call ended

(Very rarely calling works.)

This was in every version I can remember.

My workaround: Disabling 3G data

Is this a known issue?

Edited by nobug

Guest Fou-lu
Outgoing call's are not working in CM7 (and JJ9) with virtual network provider (national roaming)

and 3G data enabled.

This is the setup:

1. Start call

3. NO ring signal

4. Call ended

Is this a known issue?

No? my 3G is always on, and with no problems outgoing calls with giffgaff. CM7 25

Guest chimas
CHANGED: IT IS A PROVIDER SPECIFIC PROBLEM... ARRRR :D

and 3G data enabled.

This is the setup:

1. Start call

3. NO ring signal

4. Call ended

Is this a known issue?

Nope you are the first. But I do have I similar problem. mine is that my phone drop calls. I have always thought it was an orange problem but I recently signed up for the t-mobile signal. and it's still doing it. anyone no a fix for this.

Guest vareBlade

I think you should change the Spry dreamweaver JS code with JQuery it will be lot smoother

Edited by vareBlade

Guest hugobosslives
....Did I mention I am still having the music player issue in nightly 28? Probably flacs, I'll try mp3's tomorrow...

sorry about the delay in responding to this one mate, had lots on today.

just converted and then wacked 10 flac files onto my blade. then skipped through them and let them play a bit.

The bad news: I had no fast-forwarding that you talk of.............. (though this might be beacuse of the limited testing)

The good news (well sort of): I did expeirence a problem. The Music player forced close. This has never happened to me on any rom, so i assume it has something to do with the flac files.

I mean good news in that you weren't making this up....

Therefore i conclude, that there probably is something slightly weird with flac files on the music player.

Personally i would just convert the flacs to something else of simular quality. and if space isn't an issue.... try something like .wav

Guest hugobosslives
Perhaps it's failing to build. Buildbot used to show us the progress, but it's down at the moment. However, this "gralloc" that's been fixed may be the conflict, and now it's fixed, we'll see Nightlies. I'll see If I can find out.

you find anything on this one mate?

i bet everyone is thinking that something massive is guna happen on the next one. some super update that fixes everything.

though i am starting to get a little impatient. almost to the point where i'm guna stay up allnight mixing my own customised n28.

havn't done any proper rom work since 2.1 blade roms were on top though and hadn't even heard of this site then. Since then i've sat back and let people who know much more do it...

I think you should change the Spry dreamweaver JS code with JQuery it will be lot smoother

I might look into JQuery. I did the Spry because it was much easier. I don't find it very slow, though....

Guest chimas

I might look into JQuery. I did the Spry because it was much easier. I don't find it very slow, though....

Is this in response to my question cause I have no Idea what you are talking about. :D

Guest Mushroom_Lord
sorry about the delay in responding to this one mate, had lots on today.

just converted and then wacked 10 flac files onto my blade. then skipped through them and let them play a bit.

The bad news: I had no fast-forwarding that you talk of.............. (though this might be beacuse of the limited testing)

The good news (well sort of): I did expeirence a problem. The Music player forced close. This has never happened to me on any rom, so i assume it has something to do with the flac files.

I mean good news in that you weren't making this up....

Therefore i conclude, that there probably is something slightly weird with flac files on the music player.

Personally i would just convert the flacs to something else of simular quality. and if space isn't an issue.... try something like .wav

yes I occasionally get a force close aswell, bit just pressing 'wait' will fix it, and it will start playing normally.

and wave files? o.O I don't think I could fit it all on my 8gb card (getting a 16 soon though). and none the less, they are about twice the size of my class 8 flacs :D

did you use class 8 flacs?

and I'm assuming it is of no use uploading a video of thiis issue? i think its explained well enough....

ahh well, there are more important issues, and for now, I can live with this one :D

Guest mickey megabyte
Is this in response to my question cause I have no Idea what you are talking about. :D

they're talking about the 'accordian' roll-up tabs thingy on the right-hand side of the first post. spry and jquery are two javascript libraries both capable of creating that 'effect'.

I honestly can't remember :D

they're talking about the 'accordian' roll-up tabs thingy on the right-hand side of the first post. spry and jquery are two javascript libraries both capable of creating that 'effect'.

Indeed. I like Spry, cos it comes OOB with Dreamweaver.

Got a small update I want to test. Will be up in a mo, tell me what you think.

you find anything on this one mate?

i bet everyone is thinking that something massive is guna happen on the next one. some super update that fixes everything.

though i am starting to get a little impatient. almost to the point where i'm guna stay up allnight mixing my own customised n28.

havn't done any proper rom work since 2.1 blade roms were on top though and hadn't even heard of this site then. Since then i've sat back and let people who know much more do it...

Tried to self-compile from the git repository this afternoon but it kept failing. Wonder if this is why there has been no update for the last few days?

On a positive note, this evening after refreshing the git and downloading an update or two it compiled without issue, so hopefully tonight there maybe an official build.

BTW - I may be pi**ed from spending all afternoon in a spring real ale beer festival, but, the old boobies wallpaper was a class above the new compromising boobies image :D

Guest hugobosslives
yes I occasionally get a force close aswell, bit just pressing 'wait' will fix it, and it will start playing normally.

and wave files? o.O I don't think I could fit it all on my 8gb card (getting a 16 soon though). and none the less, they are about twice the size of my class 8 flacs :(

did you use class 8 flacs?

and I'm assuming it is of no use uploading a video of thiis issue? i think its explained well enough....

ahh well, there are more important issues, and for now, I can live with this one :D

can't remember what class i clicked on. sorry. but probably. and yer no need for video.

I did say "if space is not an issue" (wav. are about 8mb per minute for those who are wondering)

but they are pretty pointless unless you have million pound headphones or always plug your blade into your hifi.

you get my point. try something else that is the quality you want but different to flac files.

hope i've been of help though mate, cos i feel like i should start helping people as i have benefited quite a bit from this site ;)

Tried to self-compile from the git repository this afternoon but it kept failing. Wonder if this is why there has been no update for the last few days?

On a positive note, this evening after refreshing the git and downloading an update or two it compiled without issue, so hopefully tonight there maybe an official build.

BTW - I may be pi**ed from spending all afternoon in a spring real ale beer festival, but, the old boobies wallpaper was a class above the new compromising boobies image B)

interesting, havn't even started so didn't realise that, thought thats probably not related and just a problem at your end :D

to be honested i've decided i can't be arsed (well at least tonight). maybe have a go tomoz if still no new nightlies.

Edited by hugobosslives

Guest JobSup

I am also in the process of (re-)installing my development VM, mainly to see what went wrong with the last few builds. Sure the compile failed the last few days. Good to hear that that might be fixed now. Anyway, I will have my own development environment back tomorrow.

At the moment people here are too busy discussing the greatness of (pre-built) javascript libraries anyway :D Please get rid of all off-topic posts here and get back to work on the current rom.

Thanks

I am also in the process of (re-)installing my development VM, mainly to see what went wrong with the last few builds. Sure the compile failed the last few days. Good to hear that that might be fixed now. Anyway, I will have my own development environment back tomorrow.

At the moment people here are too busy discussing the greatness of (pre-built) javascript libraries anyway :D Please get rid of all off-topic posts here and get back to work on the current rom.

Thanks

We don't do the work, sorry. The actual developers are getting on with the busy stuff. :(

We just busy ourselves in the frivolity of javascript.

Which brings me to my next point. First post more usable for those with smaller screens, full fat version easily accessed though tabs :D