Photo

[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

* * * * * 72 votes

• Please log in to reply
14806 replies to this topic

worto03

worto03

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Devices:Vega, ZTE Blade, lumia 800
Hi All,

OK - I've finally settled on this ROM after reading through some massive threads in the last 2 days! I have the advent vega with pauls r8 on it so know a bit about what I'm doing but so far I've not had to use the ClockworkMod so I could do with a little help please.

Do I use the fastboot method or the Recovery Manager method? which is easiest for a noobie?

Is 3.0.1.4 the best\newest version to install?

Whats the difference between the recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-blade.img file and the recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-blade-update_signed.zip file, is one just zipped up?

Do I need certain drivers for my XP PC for the OSF?

Thanks for any help and sorry for all the questions! I'll be fine once I get going just a bit nervous to start off with as I don't want to break my new phone!

Cheers,
worto.

targetbsp

targetbsp

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts
  • Devices:Blade V, I9000, Blade
Just to be sure, you are attempting to put this on a Blade and not your Vega right? :D

if so then Recovery Manager with Universal Androot is the easier way to do it. Guide and link to the required files here:http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-roms-rom-customisation/329864/22-mar-guide-how-to-install-a-custom-rom-on-the-zte-blade/

My Blade site - includes vanilla KANGS's of CM7. Also available: modified GB Gapps with various market versions, mini ICS Gapps for 160mb system partitions and Flash for ARMv6
CM7 Blade changelog

blade2011

blade2011

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

3014 is the right version for you.

For first installation I would recommend the fastboot method described in the Thread that you download the recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-blade.img file from.
That is the file you need to use with fastboot.
The other one is to be used to update the clockwork image after you already installed it. (Select install zip file from sd card in the clockwork menu)

Edit: The fastboot package which is provided in the post targetbsp just mentioned contains the tool for Windows and Linux, howerver, I did only test on WinXP.

Cheers, blade

Edited by blade2011, 24 March 2011 - 12:56 PM.

targetbsp

targetbsp

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts

anyways i have a question, anyone using swype with this new fan-dangled gingerbread ma-jiggy? because its got this new cursor to help you locate your finger between letters, which i must say is a nice addition, however its annoying because i cannot double tap a word anymore to get the list of suggested spellings in swype... is there a work-around for this?

The swype team removed that feature for gingerbread users. Presumably they'll come up with an alternative in a future version. There's info on Swypes beta forum about it.

From the Swype changelog: "Due to incompatibilities with new features added to Android 2.3.3, we have disabled double-tap-to-edit IN ANDROID 2.3.3 ONLY. This ONLY effects Android version 2.3.3"

Edited by targetbsp, 24 March 2011 - 12:56 PM.

My Blade site - includes vanilla KANGS's of CM7. Also available: modified GB Gapps with various market versions, mini ICS Gapps for 160mb system partitions and Flash for ARMv6
CM7 Blade changelog

worto03

worto03

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Devices:Vega, ZTE Blade, lumia 800
Thanks targetbsp and blade I'll give it a go & yes i'm trying to put it on an orange San Francisco and not the vega - lol

I'll get started then - expect me back later when my brain has exploded :D

Deepeh

Deepeh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
  • Twitter:@deepeh

I hate netbooks, haha.

anyways i have a question, anyone using swype with this new fan-dangled gingerbread ma-jiggy? because its got this new cursor to help you locate your finger between letters, which i must say is a nice addition, however its annoying because i cannot double tap a word anymore to get the list of suggested spellings in swype... is there a work-around for this?

Press the swype button (bottom left) for your word choices, I quite like the gingerbread cursor thingie :D

targetbsp

targetbsp

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts

Press the swype button (bottom left) for your word choices, I quite like the gingerbread cursor thingie :D

Nice! I didn't know that. Thanks :D

CM7 Blade changelog

bhf

bhf

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Devices:Base Lutea (German ZTE Blade)
I have massive battery drain issues with ADW Launcher EX and CM7 N25 or N28. Is there some option or pref preventing this? I mean, seriously, overnight, without sync, mobile data or wifi, battery drops from 100% down to 78%. My battery lasts barely a working day from 7am to 6pm. With Gingerbread Launcher by Eugene everything goes back to normal, battery lasts at least 2 working days.

Any suggestions?

Edited by bhf, 24 March 2011 - 01:32 PM.

t0mm13b

t0mm13b

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • Devices:GT-S8500,Zte Blade,SE ST15i
  • Twitter:@t0mm13b
I have discovered an oddity with the contacts.
  • I received a text message that is not in the address book.
  • From messages, I tapped on the picture beside the number that is not in the address book
  • Got a dialog to say, "Add this to contacts"
  • I tapped "yes"
  • the screen went blank
Can anyone confirm this? :D

try{ not_laugh; }catch{ FAIL; }finally{ laugh; }

Hurders

Hurders

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Has anyone got to the bottom of the LED notification light staying on. Granted it's not a major issue but it's an annoyance. Seems to be entirely random. Mostly the LED notification will work as it should but occasionally it will get stuck on (solid green) even after the notification is cleared. Once it's stuck on it seems the only way to get it to turn off is to plug the charge in briefly (turning the LED red) and then unplugging it. As I say, the LED works as it should most of the time, totally random that it occasionally stays on. I'm on N25 by the way but have noticed the issue in a few other nightlies.

Michealtbh

Michealtbh

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5
Hey guys, another new user here. I previously owned a HTC wildfire which was always running the latest nightly of cm7. I won a blade this week so it was finally time to pass my beloved wildfire down to my girlfriend and move on. Naturally the very first things I did with my blade were to root, install cwm and flash cm7.

First time I flashed I had nothing but problems, random freezes and reboots, DTa2sd not working properly, apps force closing etc. I decided to do another full wipe and reinstall and now everything deems to be working fine. Launcher pro is a bit laggy but I've read this is common.

I have a few general questions which might be better suited in the general section but since I'm here and they may well be cm7 related I'll ask here.

1. What is generally a safe maximum overclocking speed? Currently I'be a max of 729mhz and it seems pretty stable.

2. Is overheating normal when using the phone intensively? I've noticed temperatures in excess of 40c. My wildfire never got this hot.

3. Can someone recommend a good quality silicone/gel case? I don't mind paying a bit extra for something of good quality

Overall I'm very happy with the blade. The screen is delightful and games play remarkably well in comparison ti my wildfire. I very much look forward to becoming part of this community, and of course testing nightlys as soon as they come out :)

jayhix

jayhix

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Devices:orange san fransisco/zte blade
thanks for the info guys, i shall try the swype button!

Edit: works! :D also double tapping that button asks if you want to delete the word from the swype dictionary! also very useful!

Edited by jayhix, 24 March 2011 - 03:41 PM.

samjam

samjam

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Hey guys, another new user here. I previously owned a HTC wildfire which was always running the latest nightly of cm7. I won a blade this week so it was finally time to pass my beloved wildfire down to my girlfriend and move on. Naturally the very first things I did with my blade were to root, install cwm and flash cm7.

First time I flashed I had nothing but problems, random freezes and reboots, DTa2sd not working properly, apps force closing etc. I decided to do another full wipe and reinstall and now everything deems to be working fine. Launcher pro is a bit laggy but I've read this is common.

I have a few general questions which might be better suited in the general section but since I'm here and they may well be cm7 related I'll ask here.

1. What is generally a safe maximum overclocking speed? Currently I'be a max of 729mhz and it seems pretty stable.

2. Is overheating normal when using the phone intensively? I've noticed temperatures in excess of 40c. My wildfire never got this hot.

3. Can someone recommend a good quality silicone/gel case? I don't mind paying a bit extra for something of good quality
Overall I'm very happy with the blade. The screen is delightful and games play remarkably well in comparison ti my wildfire. I very much look forward to becoming part of this community, and of course testing nightlys as soon as they come out :D

You're overclocking by 20% and wonder why you get force closes, random freezes and reboots and overheating....

And you say it seems pretty stable...

:D

Without overclocking my phone gets slightly warm when watching video or playing birds.

Michealtbh

Michealtbh

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
My wildfire (which also had an ARMv6 processor) was overclocked to 729mhz. It was perfectly stable. I haven't had a single freeze or reboot in over 24 hours so I'm assuming it's pretty stable. Battery life seems decent too using the smartass governor. What CPU speeds are generally considered safe?

chimas

chimas

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:@cgmad

Overall I'm very happy with the blade. The screen is delightful and games play remarkably well in comparison ti my wildfire. I very much look forward to becoming part of this community, and of course testing nightlys as soon as they come out :D

Okay first things first. overheating is not normal on any phone. that can only mean you are working your phone a little too hard.
as for the overclocking, i'm not a big fan but I have read somewhere on this site that that's a matter of trial and error. all phones are not the same. that said it's up to you to find the speed your phone runs at stably. For the silicone case, I suggest looking online. Ebay have a great selection and I have found some amazon aswell. welcome to the community :D

Quotes of the day....

The truth is rarely pure and never simple! [Oscar Wilde]

Love is the difficult realization that something other than oneself is real
. [Iris Murdoch]

jayhix

jayhix

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Devices:orange san fransisco/zte blade

Okay first things first. overheating is not normal on any phone. that can only mean you are working your phone a little too hard.
as for the overclocking, i'm not a big fan but I have read somewhere on this site that that's a matter of trial and error. all phones are not the same. that said it's up to you to find the speed your phone runs at stably. For the silicone case, I suggest looking online. Ebay have a great selection and I have found some amazon aswell. welcome to the community :D

+1, all phones are different if your phones rebooting reduce your overclocking speed thats more than likely the issue.

Victor von Zeppelin

Victor von Zeppelin

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

My wildfire (which also had an ARMv6 processor) was overclocked to 729mhz. It was perfectly stable. I haven't had a single freeze or reboot in over 24 hours so I'm assuming it's pretty stable. Battery life seems decent too using the smartass governor. What CPU speeds are generally considered safe?

There isn't "safe", no two CPUs are identical. And just because the Wildfire's CPU was ARMv6, doesn't mean it was anywhere near the same. "Safe" is the point at which things don't crash and don't overheat on YOUR phone. It doesn't matter if someone can overclock to 800MHz, if you can only to 620 or so, that's what you have to live with.

Oddly enough, Victor is my middle name, my actual name is Dan.

Michealtbh

Michealtbh

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Thanks for the quick replies. I think I'll reduce the max speed, hopefully that should help reduce overheating. Are there any bugs I should be aware of apart from those mentioned in the first post?

Fou-lu

Fou-lu

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Thanks for the quick replies. I think I'll reduce the max speed, hopefully that should help reduce overheating. Are there any bugs I should be aware of apart from those mentioned in the first post?

after a day or two you will be able to answer that, not everybody experiences the same bugs on CM.

ZTE Blade (white+TFT)
Clockwork recovery 3.0.2.7
CM7 110
GEN2 the next generation!
Check out this network and get us both a fiver..
Posted Image
CyanogenMOD 7(2.3.4) Status

chimas

chimas

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:@cgmad

there's hardly any info on the first page. you should check the old forum for all the currently known bugs and how to fix some of them. and what the Guy above me said.

Edited by chimas, 24 March 2011 - 04:58 PM.

Quotes of the day....

The truth is rarely pure and never simple! [Oscar Wilde]

Love is the difficult realization that something other than oneself is real
. [Iris Murdoch]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users