Photo

11 Nov: SmartFlash stock baseband release: 1035.21_20110725 (V20l version)

* * * * * 4 votes

• Please log in to reply
394 replies to this topic

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy NEXUS
  • Twitter:@aksolanki

Hi Anil,

Flashing the baseband is really an uncertain job and there is no surety that it can be successfully flashed in one go as per my BB flashing experience. Moreover, I never found anything in the web highlighting on why this time out error occurs while flashing BB through SmartFlash. Only way is to go on trying and at one point of time it will successfully flash the BB. May be its some sync problem with the Smartflash drivers - Not sure though. This is the reason I always think thrice while flashing BB and make sure that I have two three hours at my disposal.

Good Luck for successful flashing.

Hi parthabhatta,

Many thanks for your response, and your insights. So, SmartFlash is temperamental. Damn, I don't have a few hours to waste. The only reason I'm trying a newer base band is because my O2X uses a heck of a lot of battery power in "Mobile Standby". Considerably more than my previous ZTE Blade.

Blade; O2X;
Posted Image Posted Image

I appreciate I need to run the O2X for a more comparable amount of time to really compare the stats. But my O2X with the 0405 base band simply uses more power for the cellular radio.

Again, many thanks. Anil.

Edited by Anil K Solanki, 18 September 2011 - 05:25 PM.

Galaxy NEXUS with a side of Jelly Bean.

el_Charlie

el_Charlie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Devices:LG Optimus 2x
  • Twitter:@el_Charlie

Hi, I tried to Flash a newer base band. So I followed the instructions in Paul's original post.

Unfortunately I had an error and the flash never started. I have attached some screenshots. Any advice or help would be appreciated, I'm a Macintosh user, so I only fire up Win 7 when the need arises. But I'm pretty sure I have done everything correctly.

I'm currently running Cyanogenmod N127. And my current base band is 0405. I tried to Flash BB 0725, when that failed I tried 0622. Each time I made an attempt to flash, I launched the SmartFlash first and the connected the phone with battery out, whilst holding the volume down button.

Posted Image Posted Image

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anil.

Well, first, make sure you're using bootcamp natively and not through a VM like Parallels o VMware because it's risky as hell.

Second, when you plug the phone while holding Vol- wait a copuple of seconds before releasing the Vol- key. Then, when Smartflash detects the phone, don't click start right away and wait about 4 or 5 seconds. Then the flashing process will go without problems.

If you still get timeout error, click start again WITHOUT disconnecting the phone and restarting the proceess again.

I faced myself that timeout error before and it worked after the retry.

I also don't know why Paul advises to remove the battery before the flash. I just turn the phone off and wait until the touch buttons go off and then press Vol- and insert the USB cable until the "Software upgrade" message appears. Using that procedure I have used Smartflash to flash many BB/roms and my O2X is still alive.

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Well, first, make sure you're using bootcamp natively and not through a VM like Parallels o VMware because it's risky as hell.

Second, when you plug the phone while holding Vol- wait a copuple of seconds before releasing the Vol- key. Then, when Smartflash detects the phone, don't click start right away and wait about 4 or 5 seconds. Then the flashing process will go without problems.

If you still get timeout error, click start again WITHOUT disconnecting the phone and restarting the proceess again.

I faced myself that timeout error before and it worked after the retry.

I also don't know why Paul advises to remove the battery before the flash. I just turn the phone off and wait until the touch buttons go off and then press Vol- and insert the USB cable until the "Software upgrade" message appears. Using that procedure I have used Smartflash to flash many BB/roms and my O2X is still alive.

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

HI el_Charlie, many thanks for your reply. I'm using a Hackintosh, so I pop in my Win 7 HD and boot natively, so no worries there.

I will try your sugestion's, fingers crossed, it will work. Again many thanks.

Anil

Edited by Anil K Solanki, 18 September 2011 - 06:27 PM.

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
Hi el_Charlie, I just tried your suggestions and I'm afraid none of them worked. I said to my girlfriend I'll just be 15 mins while I try a suggestion from another member. 45 mins later, no joy. I even rolled back Win 7 a few weeks before see if that "might" do some voodoo magic, no such luck.

Perhaps I will install XP on a spare HD and give that a try?

Anyway thanks. Anil.

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
SUCCESS!

After much head scratching and trying different suggestions. The one that worked for me first time, was, wait for it.... Use the USB port on the back of your computer, and not one from a USB header! So simple! I hope this is successful for other users with issues flashing base bands with SmartFlash.

Phwew. Thank god that is done, just updated thr RIL file too with über handy, and free app GetRIL.

My sincere thanks to everyone that helped. Anil.

el_Charlie

el_Charlie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Devices:LG Optimus 2x
  • Twitter:@el_Charlie

SUCCESS!

After much head scratching and trying different suggestions. The one that worked for me first time, was, wait for it.... Use the USB port on the back of your computer, and not one from a USB header! So simple! I hope this is successful for other users with issues flashing base bands with SmartFlash.

Phwew. Thank god that is done, just updated thr RIL file too with über handy, and free app GetRIL.

My sincere thanks to everyone that helped. Anil.

Yes, beware of flashing anything on the front USB ports.

The first day I got my 2x I ran LG software update and the phone never booted after the flash. I had to download the ROM via SmartFlash (the longest waiting I ever had because I thought I bricked my phone for good) and then I used the ports on the back. Then, my phone lived!

Cheers!

Rusty!

Rusty!

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5 16GB
  • Twitter:@RussUnderhill
Sounds like you're doing everything right, the settings all look fine.

Might be worth trying updated drivers, these are the newest I've found: http://www.mediafire...HQL_Ver_3.4.exe

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Sounds like you're doing everything right, the settings all look fine.

Might be worth trying updated drivers, these are the newest I've found: http://www.mediafire...HQL_Ver_3.4.exe

Hi Rusty, my issue was solved by using the USB port on the rear of the computer, instead of the USB port on the front, which are normally connected to a USB header. I think Paul should stipulate in his first post only to use the USB ports at the rear. Because it would seem quite a few members have the issue I did, for the very same reason.

Thanks. Anil

Edited by Anil K Solanki, 20 September 2011 - 01:24 PM.

Rusty!

Rusty!

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
Must vary by motherboard, I've used fronts and rears to do mine :)

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Must vary by motherboard, I've used fronts and rears to do mine :)

I appreciate MoBo's vary, but the USB ports at the rear will always work right? So why not err on the side of caution? If Paul had I would have saved nearly three hours scratching my head & messing around with drivers in Win 7. Thankfully I found the solution over on XDA.

Thanks. Anil

Rusty!

Rusty!

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
Yeah it makes sense to use them, the headers could be an unknown quality, cheap case might well have pretty bad front ports.

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Yeah it makes sense to use them, the headers could be an unknown quality, cheap case might well have pretty bad front ports.

What I find intriguing, is the USB ports on the front of my Lian Li case connected to my Gigabyte MoBo work 100% for everything else, but in this case (no pun intended), they didn't. From now on I'll only use the USB ports at the rear. I think there are 8 rear USB ports on my machine, might as well use em.

Anil.

endariel

endariel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:Acer Liquid, HTC Desire
  • Twitter:@3nd4ri3l
i guess i could have a problem... i flashed bb as the guide suggested, and it went good i guess, except that when i started my rom i got in "about phone" informations still the old bb
no error was reported by the smartflash tool

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

i guess i could have a problem... i flashed bb as the guide suggested, and it went good i guess, except that when i started my rom i got in "about phone" informations still the old bb
no error was reported by the smartflash tool

Hi endariel, I don't think there is any problem with trying to flash the base band again. Which ROM are you using, and which base band are you trying to flash?

Anil

Richard_Arkless

Richard_Arkless

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
Hi yesterday I was going through the process of updating the baseband on my friends 2x to prepare it for cyanogenmod, anyway when I held down the volume while plugging in the usb cable it said updating software or something like that but ran smart flash and it said that the process has completed (but found that when it booted it went back to factory reset)

Anyway I continued, installed clockworkmod and I turned on the phone while holding volume down and the same screen came up, waited 10-20 minutes and it didnt go off this screen

I did check the sdcard for anything that looks like an update file but I couldnt find anything

So is it suppose to have this screen or have I missed something on the sdcard which I should have deleted

Going to give it another go today so want everything to go more smoothly

Edited by Richard_Arkless, 27 September 2011 - 02:08 AM.

aaww

aaww

InfoSec Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:- Information Security
    - Android
    - Wild life
    - Adrenalin
  • Devices:Xperia Z2 / Nexus4
  • Twitter:@AlbertAltman

Hi yesterday I was going through the process of updating the baseband on my friends 2x to prepare it for cyanogenmod, anyway when I held down the volume while plugging in the usb cable it said updating software or something like that but ran smart flash and it said that the process has completed (but found that when it booted it went back to factory reset)

Anyway I continued, installed clockworkmod and I turned on the phone while holding volume down and the same screen came up, waited 10-20 minutes and it didnt go off this screen

I did check the sdcard for anything that looks like an update file but I couldnt find anything

So is it suppose to have this screen or have I missed something on the sdcard which I should have deleted

Going to give it another go today so want everything to go more smoothly

CWM isn't installed properly or just download the Reboot app that will enable you to go in without holding any buttons
https://market.andro...e=search_result

good luck :)

c.joenie

c.joenie

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Devices:lg speed x2, Samsung Spica
Question, is 622 GB the same as V20C (from XDADEV), which one is better for use with Gr3?

g6hoq

g6hoq

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Devices:Asus eee Pad / LG Optimus X2
  • Twitter:@g6hoq
similar question, can anyone point me to the correct BB to flash before I install GR3 ? currently in V10D and BB405

thedicemaster

thedicemaster

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy camera, Note 2
either 622 or 725 GB versions
725 gingerbread version provided by paul: http://www.multiupload.com/4MRUCNQ3NE
the one highlighted in the 1st post here is the froyo version so you shouldn't use that 725 version.

c.joenie

c.joenie

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Devices:lg speed x2, Samsung Spica

either 622 or 725 GB versions
725 gingerbread version provided by paul: http://www.multiupload.com/4MRUCNQ3NE
the one highlighted in the 1st post here is the froyo version so you shouldn't use that 725 version.

What is the difference between 622 and 725? Battery lasts for 10,5 hours with 622...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users