Honeycomb 3.0

Guest moghm

Guest Tony Williams

As has already been mentioned in this thread, the Asus EEE Pad Transformer click is soon to be released (maybe already released - comet seem to be selling them) which, correct me if I`m wrong is a similar spec to the Vega?

This comes with Honeycomb and claims SD card support.

Guest moghm
As has already been mentioned in this thread, the Asus EEE Pad Transformer click is soon to be released (maybe already released - comet seem to be selling them) which, correct me if I`m wrong is a similar spec to the Vega?

This comes with Honeycomb and claims SD card support.

Spec not similar to the vega. 1280 x 800 and 1 gig of ram, if I am not mistaken. I am worried about the vega going to £199 so close to honeycomb tablets being released.

Guest Mark_L
engadget say htc flyer will get honeycomb now so hopefully the rumour about not being to upgrade was just a lie

By the end of the first page of this thread we'd pretty much established that rumor was a load of rubbish made up by mobile-review.com in a foreign language 'review' item, which was then quoted as 'truth' by others who could not be bothered to check thier facts.

It was also established that mobile-review.com seem to be fairly well in the pockets of the apple marketing machine... this becomes pretty obvious by just reading a few paragraphs of any of thier articles.

There was never anything official behind this rumor.

Edited by Mark_L

Guest Tony Williams
Spec not similar to the vega. 1280 x 800 and 1 gig of ram, if I am not mistaken. I am worried about the vega going to £199 so close to honeycomb tablets being released.

Clearly you definition of "similar" differs to mine :D Screen resolution aside, what I meant was its a tegra 2 chipset, also that article I linked to states 512mb/1gb memory as options suggesting a 512mb model is available with Honeycomb.

I am worried about the vega going to £199 so close to honeycomb tablets being released.

Except that part from Dixons selling off some old stock without flash installed, the going rate is still £249.

Guest Mark_L

Considering the Asus Epad transformer is £429 it'd bloody well better have more RAM and a better screen!

I'd also hope it makes me a cup of coffee in the morning and feeds my fish at night too :D

Guest Matchstick
Considering the Asus Epad transformer is £429 it'd bloody well better have more RAM and a better screen!

I'd also hope it makes me a cup of coffee in the morning and feeds my fish at night too :D

<pedantry>

£429 get you the 16Gb tablet plus the keyboard/battery. The tablet by itself is £379 for the 16Gb version B)

</pedantry>

It's also supposed to be in bricks and mortar shops on Wednesday a couple of weeks ahead of online stores, but I'll believe that when I can buy one...

Edited by Matchstick

Well Acer have got a 7" A100 HC tab for £299, and a 10.1" A500 tab for £449 out in the next few weeks. However, they also have a 10.1" Windows 7 Home Premium W500 tablet out for £449 as well, which makes the A500 look a bit overpriced, given that the W500 includes a Windoes 7 license, whereas the A500 uses the supposedly free OS!?!

Guest Steven-R-Raith

You've not used Windows 7 on a touchscreen device, have you?

I've got plenty of experience of it, and the lack of properly implemented touch support really shows. I also wouldn't expect the AMD Fusion platform to provide as much 'real-world' power-per-watt as the Tegra chipset (or any good ARM design) thanks to the x86 architecture.

Plus, you don't think Acer are actually paying anything like 'full rate' for the Win 7 OEM license, do you? :D

It's very much horses for courses, but if you actually want a proper, usable tablet (rather than a keyboardless netbook), it's either iOS or Android - Windows 7 doesn't have a look in, period.

You've not used Windows 7 on a touchscreen device, have you?

I've got plenty of experience of it, and the lack of properly implemented touch support really shows. I also wouldn't expect the AMD Fusion platform to provide as much 'real-world' power-per-watt as the Tegra chipset (or any good ARM design) thanks to the x86 architecture.

Plus, you don't think Acer are actually paying anything like 'full rate' for the Win 7 OEM license, do you? :D

It's very much horses for courses, but if you actually want a proper, usable tablet (rather than a keyboardless netbook), it's either iOS or Android - Windows 7 doesn't have a look in, period.

Nothing to stop you multibooting windows/linux/android/macosx(?) if you want - can't do that on the arm devices. But my point was that the HC tablet is overpriced considering the OS is free.

Personally, I think I will stick with the Vega because it has one thing none of these HC tablets have (except the vastly overpriced Xoom) and that is a docking station that I can just drop it into to charge when not in use.

EDIT: Spotted docks for the Acer A100 and A500 on hmv.com, but they are 80 quid each! And I've found out the Asus Transformer doesn't have any usb ports on the tablet, so no host mode and you better hope your missus doesn't tidy away that proprietary cable while you're at work...

Edited by .stu

Guest Matchstick
! And I've found out the Asus Transformer doesn't have any usb ports on the tablet

The Transformer does have a USB port with host support on the keyboard/battery (along with full size SD Card slot)

The Transformer does have a USB port with host support on the keyboard/battery (along with full size SD Card slot)

That's not what I said tho - it doesn't have any usb ports on the tablet, which is the bit I want. I don't want a netbook, I'm looking for a tablet with all the functionality I require on board plus a normal dock that I can drop it into to charge, not a keyboard dock.

Guest Matchstick
That's not what I said tho - it doesn't have any usb ports on the tablet, which is the bit I want. I don't want a netbook, I'm looking for a tablet with all the functionality I require on board plus a normal dock that I can drop it into to charge, not a keyboard dock.

Fair enough, I was just providing a bit more context for anyone who might have slightly different needs than you :D

Guest Lennyuk

I think we can just consider the transformer as a very nice looking beta product.. it will have some flaws (lack of usb is one) and I would expect a second version to be out by the end of the year.

Also I would be surprised if no other manufacturers release similar designed laptop/keyboard dock products this year.

Its looking more and more like the best time to get a new tablet will be November/December/January once we have a much better idea what is going on with google OS's and once we have a much better idea what tablets are being released this year.

Guest Rossuk

So is there any evidence that the Vega will get Honeycomb 3.0?

I'm waiting for a definate answer before I buy one for £200, hopefully it will run it.

It's either that or wait a month or so and see if any other Honeycomb 3.0 tablets similiar to the Vega in price & performance come out.

What do you guys think?

Guest beegee1962

I'm waiting for a definate answer before I buy one for £200, hopefully it will run it.

It's either that or wait a month or so and see if any other Honeycomb 3.0 tablets similiar to the Vega in price & performance come out.

What do you guys think?

What I think?

When I was about to buy my first PC, I was thinking should I buy to 80286 or wait until the AT comes. Then I was thinking should buy the AT with 80386 or wait until the 486 comes .........

I never waited, I just did it. I made my experiences with the devices and when it was time I moved on.

The same for my phones. Started with one of the first HTC phones, now I have a HTC Desire, maybe 6 other phones in between. Some day I will go for the next phone again.

The Vega was my first tablet, When I saw the specs I thought that this is a good machine, and even if it does not get Honeycomb, I will stick with it. Well, I just changed from Vega clone XVision to a Viewpad 10S because I need the 3G.

And I am sure, as you see with the CM7 ROMs for this tablet, it got Android 2.3 and I am sure it will get 3.0 one day. If not official, then from one of the super cooks around here.

This is just IMHO, not sure if it helps you.

Guest suvv10

Just a quick note folks, spotted some details about the Acer Iconia Tab A100 which looks to have a very similar spec to the Vega (512mb, tegra 250, microsd, hdmi, wifi, bluetooth) with a 7" screen although at the same resolution as the Vega 10.1..

I'd say things are looking up.

Guest worto03
Just a quick note folks, spotted some details about the Acer Iconia Tab A100 which looks to have a very similar spec to the Vega (512mb, tegra 250, microsd, hdmi, wifi, bluetooth) with a 7" screen although at the same resolution as the Vega 10.1..

I'd say things are looking up.

Yeah I posted that back on page 3 but everyone went off on one a bit - lol, I think beegee1962 sums up my thoughts pretty well too with the custom roms we have now this is a great device so honeycomb or not I'm very very happy with it so much so I've gone out and bought an android phone too (the blade\San Francisco) which I'm also very happy with. I'd never seen an android device until I got the vega.

As for your post I thought the main sticking point was the 512mb of memory needing to be at least 1gb and the fact that the Acer is going to ship with HC on 512mb pretty much blows that out of the water so I see no reason why the vega won't get it one way or another now.

there will always be something better round the corner, I can see some sense in future proofing your devices but only to a certain extent if you go too OTT you'll always be waiting for the next device\OS or for the price to fall.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth....

Edited by worto03

Guest Mark_L

What do you guys think?

Based on everything that is known at the moment, yes I'd say you will almost certainly get 3.0 on the vega, although its 50/50 if its going to be an official ROM or not.

40% = Official Advent 3.0 ROM wil be released by the end of the year

50% = Unofficial 3.0 ROM released for the end of the year

10% = The Vega gets 2.3 and never gets 3.0 due to some factor we dont even know about yet.

I just read that Asus have released the source code for the transformer.....could this move help us Vega owners?

(By the way hello all as this is my first post but I've been watching and learning from you guys for a while now.)