SIM card or phone?

Guest bobor

After turning on my phone yesterday morning I noticed that I wasn't receiving any signal, neither for internet or phone service. I did a soft and hard reset and it still didn't work so I tried switching the SIM card with another (non-smart) phone on the same network.

To my surprise both phones were able to make and receive calls. After switching the SIM cards back again, my Omnia worked! I did a soft-reset and it also worked.

However :D after turning on my phone again this morning, I found the same no-signal issue.

What's going on? Is the Omina "not compatible" with my SIM card? Is something missing in the start-up sequence that's not inititaing the card in the morning (the hard-reset should've corrected this though)?

did a quick search of the net and didn't see any similar issue

Edited by bobor

Guest meabigbaldguy
After turning on my phone yesterday morning I noticed that I wasn't receiving any signal, neither for internet or phone service. I did a soft and hard reset and it still didn't work so I tried switching the SIM card with another (non-smart) phone on the same network.

To my surprise both phones were able to make and receive calls. After switching the SIM cards back again, my Omnia worked! I did a soft-reset and it also worked.

However :D after turning on my phone again this morning, I found the same no-signal issue.

What's going on? Is the Omina "not compatible" with my SIM card? Is something missing in the start-up sequence that's not inititaing the card in the morning (the hard-reset should've corrected this though)?

did a quick search of the net and didn't see any similar issue

When you insert your SIM into your O2, does the phone actually tell you that there is not a SIM card present? If the phone cannot read your SIM, the the phone will tell you that the SIM isn't present at all, and you will see an X or some other symbol in your status bar. If there is not a "NO SIM" message, then chances are that your phone does read the SIM, but isn't picking up a network signal.

Give these a looksie... go to Samsung Settings, and Network Settings. Make sure that NETWORK OPTIONS is set to AUTOMATIC. If it already is, then try setting to MANUAL and then select your network. Also you can go to BAND OPTIONS, and make sure that the setting is also AUTOMATIC. One way or the other, this should work unless there is a genuine problem with the phone's receiver.

Guest bobor
When you insert your SIM into your O2, does the phone actually tell you that there is not a SIM card present? If the phone cannot read your SIM, the the phone will tell you that the SIM isn't present at all, and you will see an X or some other symbol in your status bar. If there is not a "NO SIM" message, then chances are that your phone does read the SIM, but isn't picking up a network signal.

Give these a looksie... go to Samsung Settings, and Network Settings. Make sure that NETWORK OPTIONS is set to AUTOMATIC. If it already is, then try setting to MANUAL and then select your network. Also you can go to BAND OPTIONS, and make sure that the setting is also AUTOMATIC. One way or the other, this should work unless there is a genuine problem with the phone's receiver.

Thanks meabigbaldguy! I didn't change those specific settings you mentioned but while in the menu looking for them I noticed that the settings under Browser Connection was set to "WAP" which seemed unusual; I changed that to Automatically Detect Settings and the phone seems to work without issue now!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction :D

Edited by bobor