SD Card

Guest Arival

Guest Arival

When i got my Hero one of the first things I found that sped it up (before custom roms) was swapping out the standard SD card for a class 6 one - will this have a similar effect for the Optimus 2x? I'm looking at prices for 32gb cards and the price difference between class 4/class6 is pretty much double, will i actually notice the difference with this phone? IIRC it was mainly due to the HTC using the external card for caching that caused slowdowns due to lack of ram, which shouldn't be the case with new phones?

Guest thedicemaster

the only thing for which class might matter is reliability of recording fullHD.

the internal storage is used where the hero would use an sdcard.

but, double the price?

are you sure?

i ordered a class 10 32GB which was about 15% more expensive than a class 4

Guest Arival
the only thing for which class might matter is reliability of recording fullHD.

the internal storage is used where the hero would use an sdcard.

but, double the price?

are you sure?

i ordered a class 10 32GB which was about 15% more expensive than a class 4

Where was that from? The cheapest place i can find for a class 4 is £50 or class 6 for £85, so not quite double, but near enough! I don't really plan on shooting any HD video to be honest, as i don't see the point in all those extra pixels for such a small sensor, so i may just settle for class 4.

Guest thedicemaster

PSF32GMCSDHC10 Patriot Signature Flash, 32GB microSDHC Class 10

seems to be available for under $99 (€70/£62) in several webstores.

avoid amazon though(£100+)

i ordered it through my boss so i don't know exactly where he gets it

Guest Arival
PSF32GMCSDHC10 Patriot Signature Flash, 32GB microSDHC Class 10

seems to be available for under $99 (€70/£62) in several webstores.

avoid amazon though(£100+)

i ordered it through my boss so i don't know exactly where he gets it

Can't seem to find a decent price on that one :D I'll keep looking I guess, might be a case of waiting for one to appear in the sale - I guess i can continue using the 8 gig one in my Hero until there's a good deal or prices drop!

Guest aMpeX

Just because it is class 2 doesn't rule out that it is capable of recording FullHD

The classes only give you a guarantee, that the designated speed is ALWAYS reached. If you read some of the amazon reviews of class 2 cards you will find out that some of them actually have higher transfer rates.

Guest aMpeX

ATTENTION THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION

I'd say class 10 is overkill, but if you wan't to be safe I'd go with a class 4 or 6.

I ordered a cheap class 4 myself. Once I actually hold my O2X in my hands I can give some feedback.

Guest thedicemaster

the class is a guaranteed write speed.

a class 2 will be able to write 2MB/s or more, class 4 4MB/s, class 6 6MB/s and class 10 10MB/s

again, this is the guaranteed speed.

that means a class 2 made by a good company, and made under ideal situations, may actually have a write speed of 8-10MB/s

however the batch it came from is only tested up to 2MB/s so it gets a class 2 rating.

for full HD recording you usually need at least class 4 performance, but a class 2 card from a reliable manufacturer like kingston often performs like a class 4 or 6.

Guest Arival
the class is a guaranteed write speed.

a class 2 will be able to write 2MB/s or more, class 4 4MB/s, class 6 6MB/s and class 10 10MB/s

again, this is the guaranteed speed.

that means a class 2 made by a good company, and made under ideal situations, may actually have a write speed of 8-10MB/s

however the batch it came from is only tested up to 2MB/s so it gets a class 2 rating.

for full HD recording you usually need at least class 4 performance, but a class 2 card from a reliable manufacturer like kingston often performs like a class 4 or 6.

I've ordered Class 4 - as long as everything to do with the system is dealt with on the internal card then I figured speed isn't so important.